Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Gonna stop in at RC Outlet here in Jacksonville FL after my coffee and see what they have - they're a solid Tamiya dealer.

Sounds exciting. Let us see what you pick up👍

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Pulled out all the stops to get the masking tape off this today. Being in the sun shows the dark blue better. I added the ‘speed blocks’ on the bonnet at the last minute Kinda looks like a deck chair from the top, and  still some finishing touches to do but all in all I’m very happy with it 😃

35A5447B-6B36-4513-AC2A-BEFB253CF020.jpg

that colour is just :wub:and the strips really suit it also love the hpi tyres also but sorrry to say this the wheels dont do it for me 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Pulled out all the stops to get the masking tape off this today. Being in the sun shows the dark blue better. I added the ‘speed blocks’ on the bonnet at the last minute Kinda looks like a deck chair from the top, and  still some finishing touches to do but all in all I’m very happy with it 😃

35A5447B-6B36-4513-AC2A-BEFB253CF020.jpg

Amazing work!! Clap clap clap indeed, this is top notch, mate! 😎👏👏

• Thanks 1

Decided to take things a bit easier after slow going vanquish restoration.  I cleaned up my DT01 gearbox.  I removed and degreased all the the gears, which seemed to have molybdenum grease all over (what was I thinking?)  I Filled the diff with anti wear grease and lightly coated the rest with ceramic grease.  I also replaced the main gear shaft with a lightweight gear shaft from the DT02/03 hop up options.

It's a DT01, so I don't expect to see any real benefit from fitting such an item, but it is a weight saving, even in a gearbox that is fully unsprung.  Maybe the suspension will be a little more responsive.  Maybe I'll get an extra 5 seconds run time from the battery.  Maybe I was bored and just wanted an excuse to do something with my cars.

Next thing to do is improve the front end just a little bit more with a better servo, servo saver, and linkage.

20220106_214519 20220106_211713

• Like 4

I purchased a servo today..   woo~   some progress for me compared to the last several days..  :ph34r:  I ordered a SC-1251MG (black) for my upcoming build in the not so distant future.. I hope.

I was also close to ordering a MiniZ GR Supra, but realized they don't come in white so decided to pass (I am aware they sell white body spares, but I'm not that into Mini-Z's so it's fine).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fruitfly01 said:

degreased all the the gears, which seemed to have molybdenum grease all over (what was I thinking?) 

I've greased gears with that in the past, you don't recommend it mate? Cheers

6 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

I've greased gears with that in the past, you don't recommend it mate? Cheers

It's just a little on the thick side, when compared to ceramic or silicon greases.  It's better used on metal to metal areas and thrust bearings, or areas where slippery loose performance isn't necessary.  Molybdenum grease can be used in metal geared diffs, if you have nothing thicker at hand, or around universal joints and drive cups.  Anti wear grease can also be used in such areas, but it's often recommended not to use any grease on exposed areas.  As much as grease will lubricate, it will also attract dust and dirt, forming a grinding paste that will most likely cause premature wear of parts.

Ceramic grease is light and will lubricate without 'gluing' parts together, and is suitable for gearboxes and areas with high rotational speeds that need to be kept high speed.  Good for plastic to plastic contact areas.  A light coat is all that is needed.  Any excess will just be flung off around the gearbox walls as soon as you hit the throttle.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Wow mate, awesome work! So is that all masking tape done from the inside, no decals?

Thank you, yep all masking from the inside, there with be a few stickers added later.

My custom paint shop..

6DDEE0A1-990E-44F8-9EC0-85025557E763.md. 

Just remember knives are sharp, might be time to start looking at some of that fancy DIY computer sticker stuff 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Thank you, yep all masking from the inside, there with be a few stickers added later.

My custom paint shop..

6DDEE0A1-990E-44F8-9EC0-85025557E763.md. 

Just remember knives are sharp, might be time to start looking at some of that fancy DIY computer sticker stuff 🤣

Ouch!   :blink:

For me, I got off my lazy working from home butt and opened my XR311.  This is truely a plastic model kit (that I can actually see since not 1:35 :lol:)  with RC features.  Going to mark up the paint colors I need (mainly TS28 which I will use TS5 because I like that color better) and start trimming the pieces over the weekend.  

IMG_2022-1-7-173915.jpg.138ca8cb0119ba4fdd78e62c03d9e667.jpg

IMG_2022-1-7-173925.jpg.3fda7521d0ddf061dc9218322a6cef2a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, topforcein said:

that colour is just :wub:and the strips really suit it also love the hpi tyres also but sorrry to say this the wheels dont do it for me 

When I first looked at one of these bodies my main concern was what wheels.

I’d seen some 4 spoke ones that where similar to what was on a Scalextric car (also HPI I think?), and I also toyed with M chassis Mini lites wearing the Racing Truck tyres as the outside diameter is the same as 1/10 touring car wheels.

Then the ones on there now turned up for $30 delivered. A bit of a Pewter colour in the paint job would have probably helped to, but that would mean another custom colour experiment to get it.

Starting to get to complicated for my pee brain.

I can change the wheels later, but they will do for now. I do very much appreciate your feedback, thanks mate. 😉

• Like 2

@Re-Bugged I’d keep the wheels you got on there right now.  Looks perfect, style and color.   If I’d change anything I’d get black wheel nuts, but that’s totally up to you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a Tamiya, or even R/C, but it is Willys related!  My sister found me this current Monopoly licensed reissue on an old MPC ‘33 Willys panel van gasser snap kit that I‘ve decided to take from a Gasser to a street rod shop truck, and will likely paint to match my Wild Willy 4x4 build!

image.thumb.jpeg.2ed0681d4055dc5c4255ebdb61908585.jpeg
image.thumb.png.c88361af34ad08590deff267c2fdd94a.png

image.thumb.png.af2223ca4772c21862f843eb3f0a90fe.png

image.thumb.png.461b35cb92bef466599550dbb1393747.png

Though I may want to source another just to build as an actual Gasser and paint that to match my WW4x4 too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stripped a vintage Super Astute gearbox for review/maintenance and started the cleaning and partial reassembly. Still need to crack open then diff.

73ibWUA.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/7/2022 at 4:31 AM, Re-Bugged said:

I’m very happy with it

I'd be thrilled if I had a body shell come out like that! Epic, especially the masking to get that result. 😎

• Thanks 1

Finished my Egress.

Also, started looking at DT-02 vehicles.

I understand the DT-02 and DT-03 share some parts, but does anyone know if the 54561 DT-03 Stabiliser set also fits DT-02 vehicles?

It looks very similar in pictures and is more procurable than the 53829 DT-02 set. Appreciate it if anyone can clarify. Cheers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Finished my Egress

Then i believe your post is lacking something very crucial?

• Haha 3

Bit of CAD work to produce a more realistic bed for the Unimog. I think the flat panel will be covered in sticking bandage. It is made so it wraps over the edges of the original deck. It’s going to be fitted either with Velcro or permanently fixed with body post holes in it. The upright will be plasticard and painted steel colour to match the rest of the bed. I have some sticky backed wood paper to create wood panels on the sides🤞🏻
7509801E-3514-4DAE-9004-D17EBDEC4671.thumb.jpeg.9f72e2cd1bf585b243dc16d857ac5183.jpeg

• Like 7

Is this the bargain of the year and it's only early January?, Went to my LHS to get a LED light set for my blockhead wild one and another customer was in looking at a new racing buggy to buy (schumacher L1 evo) but he had a schumacher cat sx2 pro spec don't know what the difference is between the normal sx2 never used mint in box with tyres extra upgrades (I haven't looked through them all yet) in his hand asking if anyone the shop owner knows could buy it off him to help fund his hopefully new acquisition the L1 evo? I asked how much he wanted for it? He wanted £100 for the lot............no brainer! Now I'm the owner of a unused schumacher sx2 pro spec which other than very dusty is mint! Future classic I'm thinking? 

20220108_141608.jpg

• Like 9

Stopped at Florida RC Outlet by NAS Jax last night.   Spoke to the owner and told him how I had bought my Brat from him 3 years ago.   He didn't have any Tamiya kits.   He said he really loves Tamiya and can get it, but he has to carry what sells hence all the Axial, Traxxas, etc he stocks.  His rent is 1/3 of what it would be in higher traffic areas.   Afraid if he moved customers might assume he closed.

It's really a catch 22 for him.  He's the same age as me, grew up in the 80s/90s.  We laughed because we remember when Traxxas came out with their RC10 wanna be in the 90s and everyone crapped on it including us.

A really good owner and shop - I recommend them if you're in the area.

IMG_1880.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome, @moffman    I don't know anything about Schumachers, but that looks like an impressive car.   I think this is going to be a fantastic year for you.  :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

When I first looked at one of these bodies my main concern was what wheels.

I’d seen some 4 spoke ones that where similar to what was on a Scalextric car (also HPI I think?), and I also toyed with M chassis Mini lites wearing the Racing Truck tyres as the outside diameter is the same as 1/10 touring car wheels.

Then the ones on there now turned up for $30 delivered. A bit of a Pewter colour in the paint job would have probably helped to, but that would mean another custom colour experiment to get it.

Starting to get to complicated for my pee brain.

I can change the wheels later, but they will do for now. I do very much appreciate your feedback, thanks mate. 😉

perhapes if they was a diff colour charcoal  or gun metal and i can't believe i just said that as i am not a fan of them colours either 

for me the only ones that work are like what i have on my mk2 witch just happen to be the hpi ones along with the slicks to match as lhs could not get the threaded tyres as you have 

and and i do love the colour:wub: as it looks a bit like what i have on my grand hauler 

• Thanks 1