Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

@BuggyDadAny special plans with the reinforcement?

also nice wheels and lug nut.  Where are they from?  Wheel looks like kyosho. 

Wheels are kyosho lookalikey ones from jcracing.

By reinforcement I just meant the M3 rod shock tower braces you see in the pic. Intention is to try to reduce chances of snapping shock towers and chassis nose. Just for bashing really. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100078-my-dt-03-for-fun-driving-and-tinkering/&do=findComment&comment=895224

RC car barn (storage closet) find, DF-01 Mantra Ray.  After taking it home it appears to be a 2005 version and not the recent re-release 2018. 
7781B7A1-3287-44CF-B549-4E3F9B228295.jpeg.44f95daefa38d72fb56832d1ce9febf6.jpeg

body is unpainted and partially cut.  Wheels have not been mounted and still have the mold injection pieces.  Chassis on other hand has seen better days.  Does not appear to be any cracks. 
32225B97-EE9C-4B9E-9A5E-8E5BCE1BA71B.jpeg.1b17303316311dc8f0ad6ad5cb0d8770.jpeg16007BF8-D07A-489C-A369-F589C04C5597.jpeg.bc7221eb85f99108ee1c2d34a791eaaa.jpeg8283E510-1C4B-40AC-855A-CDE703829771.jpeg.400092a6e8ed06769f46f9ab9f5f7e59.jpegAB98D854-A469-4747-A386-15DB245FCB07.jpeg.0cb287fedbfd69e1d51868b3e119d7d0.jpeg1A2967CE-0BB4-4608-A197-A1001978AAC6.jpeg.df225c89ae7b043d59cfc095338e1b41.jpeg19D9FB76-F074-4145-84CE-082759BF1EF9.jpeg.28751d048d29013b4fe8ed3027c7036c.jpeg8C78DCE4-2143-4C93-888D-331F1FC1C118.jpeg.660096afb6f006df8e4938937b1dd9b8.jpeg

bonus, decals accounted for8FB3E5CF-9258-4D0C-877B-5CBAD5DEAB47.jpeg.fc644f48c2cabaa90f1fe2dc1da0e51d.jpeg

orginal box?

4DF0B323-493C-4467-963B-8CD0C5149823.jpeg.255d0eb45b2b4b55f7258b05d115bf1e.jpeg

only major issue is missing rear left drive cup, dog bone and axel cup.

51F9C949-EACC-4533-9976-AF355480CB73.jpeg.db92142c230bb45d0eaa96907ad9327f.jpeg
putting together a list of parts I need to order and start shopping.  Good that this is a popular chassis and parts are easy to find.  I also need to take apart the diff to see if I made an $$$ mistake. 

big question is if I keep it as box art, slight variation to box art or full on different approach 🤔

does 2005 version count as vintage?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Wheels are kyosho lookalikey ones from jcracing.

By reinforcement I just meant the M3 rod shock tower braces you see in the pic. Intention is to try to reduce chances of snapping shock towers and chassis nose. Just for bashing really. 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100078-my-dt-03-for-fun-driving-and-tinkering/&do=findComment&comment=895224

I hear you.  I have a DT-02 and already broke a front tower.  The DT-03 has a much better design but a little reinforcement never hurts

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

@Busdriver and @Badcrumble it does look like a Caterham.  I think YouTube channel rckicks cut open the Super Avenue canopy to be a semi opened wind screen if you want to push the envelope. 

Love the colors.  We don’t have enough British racing green RC cars

Thanks, yes I love BRG . Strangely enough I had toyed with the idea of opening up the cockpit but decided against it. I also thought about doing a P51 Mustang theme and add a frame to the canopy with vinyl tape. The simple Lotus won. TD2 is destined to be Gold Leaf racing colours and may well have an open cockpit!!!

45 minutes ago, Frankster said:

I hear you.  I have a DT-02 and already broke a front tower.  The DT-03 has a much better design but a little reinforcement never hurts

Yeah I think the disadvantage of the DT-03 compared to the DT-02 is the weak point that makes the chassis nose a little prone to failure. My front braces are aimed at that problem, based on a theory that the cause is the tower deflecting backwards in a hit. On two cars we've done half a dozen towers and two chassiseseses. How do you spell the plural of "chassis"? 

Heading down to my mudroom now to paint some TS5 (olive drab)and TS38 (gunmetal).. will do the matte black tomorrow.

IMG_2022-1-17-083632.jpg.3658d0132bd320e5945c7cf9363b9d3e.jpg

Update.. TS5 and TS38 painted.  Boy that was a lot of small pieces!

IMG_2022-1-17-095226.jpg.b3e4fc340dbe3c4c7b70b3995a780dc8.jpg

Will remove the mask in a few min and allow them dry for 4 hours before working on cementing the parts together maybe later today.  

Tomorrow I will do the matte black.  

Update2.. I realized I missed a spot for TS5, so went back to my mudroom and fixed that, and decided to spray the matte black as well since I had my ghetto paint booth set up anyway.   :lol:

IMG_2022-1-17-113949.jpg.cb201ff218d19ef016082ec1cd31b356.jpg

So now I am living in the future.. lol. 

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 3

@Willy iine I defiantly need to construct an indoor paint booth for this North East weather. Im up to 4 chassis not painted and its only January. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Finnsllc said:

@Willy iine I defiantly need to construct an indoor paint booth for this North East weather. Im up to 4 chassis not painted and its only January. 

Yeah, definitely want to paint in a 65F+ 30% RH room.. Don’t rush it!  :lol:

7 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks, yes I love BRG . Strangely enough I had toyed with the idea of opening up the cockpit but decided against it. I also thought about doing a P51 Mustang theme and add a frame to the canopy with vinyl tape. The simple Lotus won. TD2 is destined to be Gold Leaf racing colours and may well have an open cockpit!!!

Super Avenue P51 mustang with shark nose?  Interesting 🤔 

Super Avente box art never did it for me, but all the other creations I see is making me change my mind 😀

image.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Today im saying goodbye to all Nimh batteries as i also like driving my RC cars ;).

How are you feeling today?  

For me I like to keep at least one NiMH charged at all times for bench testing and test driving.  I have LiPo's but haven't used them for years due to the hassle of not being able to keep them charged all the time.  

13 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

How are you feeling today?  

For me I like to keep at least one NiMH charged at all times for bench testing and test driving.  I have LiPo's but haven't used them for years due to the hassle of not being able to keep them charged all the time.  

I am doing Ok but Kids are getting totally nuts after isolation for 8 days, oh well 2 more days :). Thanks for asking.

Yes i did just that but i find Lipos better for all tests also as the Volt is so much more stable. And its the Space issue(yes, its that bad). So i take them to basement now and then to closest store that will take my used batteries when out off isolation

• Like 1

Today I took out the MF01x that I've converted to a 1/14 Stadium Truck. To be honest it was too wet to drive much, I had the DR down to 50% and even still it was too fast for the little area I had to play in, but still really fun. There is a big dust pitch in my park that's great in the summer for going fast but when wet it's just such a pain with wet gravel getting everywhere I tend to use the little kids play park area, which is locked away for half the year.

I added wider hexes to the TL01 arms to widen it further. It now looks quite a lot like a stadium truck, which is good. Note the front DIY bumper with rubber o ring between the black and grey spaces to allow a little compression. 

SwD9aEM.jpg

Lots of width here. 10 mm hexes have helped, the wheel nuts only just fit on. I may go for 8 mm or something - or 8 mm front, 10 mm rear.

FMbqzW1.jpg

Not a locking nut but a conical serrated washer. It seems to work ok, no wheels flying off anyhow. 

32nPN6G.jpg

swABRtg.jpg

SkN2CO7.jpg

eRReAgd.jpg

7PzfqLS.jpg

A fun drive, and will be great it warmer weather when I can run it wide open. 

I'm happy with the look, it's very much the kind of car I'd like Tamiya to release. I think the shape and wheels do the Pumpkin body justice. I did feel a little guilty cutting up a nice QD bodyshell, but it was my no means pristine, and this way it's got a little more life (also the rear roll bar had a few cracks already, and this car is much less roll prone than the QD).

Still needs an Edgarmon, perhaps that's this evening's task? 

• Like 4

In a brave moment I decided to continue the stickering of my Audi V8. I must say it is the worst body shell I've ever worked on. I don't like to apply stickers in general but this makes me mad. It's too complicated for me. There should be an advisory that advanced skills are necessary to build this body to an acceptable standard. Hats off to everyone who manages this.

So, enough of moaning about the Audi as the body itself is very impressive and I will probably build a second one but completely different to box art.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

In a brave moment I decided to continue the stickering of my Audi V8. I must say it is the worst body shell I've ever worked on. I don't like to apply stickers in general but this makes me mad. It's too complicated for me. There should be an advisory that advanced skills are necessary to build this body to an acceptable standard. Hats off to everyone who manages this.

So, enough of moaning about the Audi as the body itself is very impressive and I will probably build a second one but completely different to box art.

GL with the decals.  If it helps, distilled water to re-aim as needed without damaging the decal, and heat gun also helps contour the decal to the body.  I use a silicon squeegee.  

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

GL with the decals.  If it helps, distilled water to re-aim as needed without damaging the decal, and heat gun also helps contour the decal to the body.  I use a silicon squeegee.  

Thanks. Because of your tips I am doing it that way. Works well on the Alfa but the Audi is a class of its own.

Just now, Aerobert said:

Thanks. Because of your tips I am doing it that way. Works well on the Alfa but the Audi is a class of its own.

Is that right.. would you have a picture I can take a look at?  

46 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Is that right.. would you have a picture I can take a look at?  

IMG20220117193431_compress40.thumb.jpg.2c062195c5ccee4e227a48cab1004805.jpg

Done with water and heat. Otherwise I would have destroyed the decal (and it still looks like that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

Done with water and heat. Otherwise I would have destroyed the decal (and it still looks like that).

Yeah, that is a tough spot.    If I was to do it, I would place the decal in the general area, heat it, work the steps individually from top down allowing the decal end to fold away from the body as you re-heat and wrap the individual steps getting all trapped air out.   

Then when the decal reaches the base of the rear arch, re-heat it and slightly stretch the decal into the crevice before applying a tad more heat and gently tapping the decal to gently contour to the body while relaxing it.

It's a pretty intense area for sure.  This technique I learned doing 1:1 car decals and clearbra installs..  it's basically the same principle on these RC decals.

• Thanks 1

Took a break from applying decals tonight -there are so many:o and decided to apply the first coat of mat black to the front grill instead. Getting closer to completion!

20220118-004503.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Aerobert said:

That would drive me nuts 🤯

• Haha 1

Tested UV resin.

70ECr5r.jpg

The broken hinge of this case (for Arrowmax hex bits) had been annoying me for a while.  The broken piece had flown off somewhere. But it was a relatively easy fix with UV curing glue.  Strength wise, I think it's similar to superglue + baking soda.  

ZXOIAFP.jpg

How is it not stuck together? 

Nozoil (as somebody aptly named my harvest method). If I already have a dollop of glue, and need some oil in a pinch?  I grab my nose.  I get more than enough lubricant on my fingers to prevent the lid from sticking to the base side.  

Even with the organic non-GMO, grain and grass-fed, cage-free lube, it made a tight hinge.  As long as I don't drop it again, I think it could last. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Took a break from applying decals tonight -there are so many:o and decided to apply the first coat of mat black to the front grill instead. Getting closer to completion!

20220118-004503.jpg

Got one of these to do soon myself. I've been putting it off....