Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Re-Bugged said:

Have you looked into eye lense replacement? My 80yr old Aunt had done and now doesn’t wear glasses anymore. My Dad has had it to with the same results. It’s more or less like a permanent contact lense and is a simple procedure. 

I should look into that.  I've not trusted eye surgery including Lasik as my older brother did that 30 years ago and he has very poor vision now.. to the point he can't drive any more.  I trust that laser surgery has exponentially improved over the decades. 

Maybe in my case  they can do an entire head replacement with a better brain and good looks.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eye surgery has come a long way @Willy iine , it’s either that or a 1:1 Willy helmet with prescription visor, could be hot in the summer though?

• Haha 4

This morning I sprayed Mr.SuperClear on Willy and the XR311 exterior body to flatten everything down.  

Hope to finish the rest of the body today and start the chassis build tomorrow.. and complete the car by Sunday.

IMG_2022-1-27-082003.jpg.e3b7fc126317a9950193d19e17acd127.jpg

My thought is that work is going to start calling us back into the office 2 times a week (perhaps) next month and so I’m not going to have much flexibility before and after hours.. well, just preparing for the worst. 

Update.. Got most of the pieces cemented.. drying now and will install the mud flaps and assemble the wheels later today… now heading to a meeting.. 

IMG_2022-1-27-114911.jpg.79750855c893975c5f4e120713aec5e6.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 8

Got covid!!!!

good excuse to start on the RC10B4 FT resto as we as finish the TD4 during my isolation 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, matisse said:

Got covid!!!!

good excuse to start on the RC10B4 FT resto as we as finish the TD4 during my isolation 

Sorry to hear.  I hope my office extends WFH until the next fiscal year at least.. 

Hope you feel better soon.  GL with the restoration!!

• Like 2

Today I took the GF01 to the park. I really need somewhere non-concrete to run it, but the BMX track was a little full.

Still, great fun in the sun. Loving the colours on this, it looks so much better white white wheels and roll bar.

Sdr2JhE.jpg

dVNm9sb.jpg

G3uHP35.jpg

WzEBsUR.jpg

I did reduce the track width by using smaller hexes, but I think I'll go back to full width just to reduce the rolling. I might also play around with flipping the arms, to give a wider wheelbase too. 

• Like 2

Adjusted some of the cuts on the body of my monster truck. Also cut the whole side steps off and adjusted them to sit higher up with double sided tape. 👍

dltqK9I.jpeg

Still to do = remove the red anodising from the shocks oh and more importantly take it for a good fun run.

James

• Like 7

1 hour ago, matisse said:

Got covid!!!!

Congratulations…?  Hard to read your expression… but good to see you have something to keep you company during isolation 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Printed the "blue" part of my SD1 lightbar today. Turned out great, not washed or cured yet as clear resin tends to get a yellow taint to it. Sprayed down with IPA I'm going to leave it on the radiator for 12hrs before curing properly.

Tomorrow i´ll do the "clear" clear parts if that makes any sense. I will drop down the layer size from 50um to 20um for that. Really pleased with the results so far :D

Blue  Clear parts (2).jpg

Blue  Clear parts (3).jpg

Blue  Clear parts (4).jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Frankster said:

Need some advice.  Looking to mask headlights on a kit that does not have any light buckets. Intention is to use kit decal headlight lenses but remove them in the future once I figure out a solution. Due to the shape and size I need to use liquid mask.  Trying to do this on the cheap if possible and want to avoid buying a bottle when I won’t be using this much.  I have seen videos of people using simple Elmer white glue for static models. Will this work on RC cars with polycarbonate bodies and polycarbonate paint?

I used blu-tack (or similar) when I did headlight surrounds on my recent Mini Pick up shell.

31E64360-75AF-41FD-9A5B-9ABD87B1B39C.jpg

Not the best photo but I had headlight masks and added blu tack so that I didn’t paint the area that will be the chrome surround.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, matisse said:

Got covid!!!!

Hope you and the RC10B4 are both back to your best soon 💪👍

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Do  you prefer this over the Tamiya TS flat clear?

Mr.SuperClear is acrylic based and appears to leave pores for outgassing which means I can spray over TS and enamel paints that have not fully cured without causing flaking/cracking issues later. (I only use the matte finish so can not speak for their clear gloss). 

As a test I sprayed over enamel that was only dry to the touch and it cured fine under Mr.SuperClear.   I am not certain whether this can be said with the TS flat clear.  

I tried the same with Tamiya’s acrylic matte clear and got similar results.  

I finished the chassis today.  :D   Will install electronics tomorrow.  

IMG_2022-1-27-165855.jpg.93ede25142eb7ca51cbc17c453c4714e.jpg

IMG_2022-1-27-165908.jpg.def9b13b5165ae263c855cdd1bbd3bb0.jpg

Tamiya has come a long way.   This car is weird in every good way.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Frankster said:

Need some advice.  Looking to mask headlights on a kit that does not have any light buckets. Intention is to use kit decal headlight lenses but remove them in the future once I figure out a solution. Due to the shape and size I need to use liquid mask.  Trying to do this on the cheap if possible and want to avoid buying a bottle when I won’t be using this much.  I have seen videos of people using simple Elmer white glue for static models. Will this work on RC cars with polycarbonate bodies and polycarbonate paint?

Circle cutter and Tamiya masking tape. 

8 hours ago, matisse said:

Got covid!!!!

Sorry to hear that @matisse, I hope you recover quickly.

8 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Today I took the GF01 to the park

That looks fantastic Nikko. I think the white suits it well too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lee1075 said:

Printed the "blue" part of my SD1 lightbar today. Turned out great, not washed or cured yet as clear resin tends to get a yellow taint to it. Sprayed down with IPA I'm going to leave it on the radiator for 12hrs before curing properly.

Tomorrow i´ll do the "clear" clear parts if that makes any sense. I will drop down the layer size from 50um to 20um for that. Really pleased with the results so far :D

Blue  Clear parts (2).jpg

Blue  Clear parts (3).jpg

Blue  Clear parts (4).jpg

Hard to visualize at the moment but looking forward to seeing the final product

• Thanks 1

Back to my parents' place for a few days before leaving back to Canada. I found quite a time capsule in my old room -or should I say, toolbox capsule- from back in the days, when I used to race mini 4WD as a kid in the '90s.

20220125-152614.jpg

Not 1/10 and not RC, but still lots of love for Tamiya back then20220125-152647.jpg

Inside the toolbox were left a couple smaller versions of some golden oldies

20220125-152927.jpg

20220125-152951.jpg

along with some hop-ups won at the races, some of which still left unopened, and a few business cards from what used to be one of the three local hobby shops (none of which is around as of today)

20220125-153142.jpg

...and my latest and last racer, updated with a Red Bull livery from when I briefly got back into the hobby in the late '90s. I remember that this car even won a few official Tamiya races back then 🤠

20220125-153511.jpg

20220125-153637.jpg

20220125-153539.jpg

It was a nice surprise to find out that this is still around. I put the toolbox in a safer place after taking the photos, as I'd like to keep it this way! Maybe next time I'll try to switch them on with the aid of some new batteries :lol:

• Like 13

@ferruz what a lovely discovery. That Fox is great and the Red Bull livery kit is super cool. Love it!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20220125-152927.jpg

20220125-152951.jpg

Build their big brothers. I did that with few. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Back to my parents' place for a few days before leaving back to Canada. I found quite a time capsule in my old room -or should I say, toolbox capsule- from back in the days, when I used to race mini 4WD as a kid in the '90s.

20220125-152614.jpg

Not 1/10 and not RC, but still lots of love for Tamiya back then20220125-152647.jpg

Inside the toolbox were left a couple smaller versions of some golden oldies

20220125-152927.jpg

20220125-152951.jpg

along with some hop-ups won at the races, some of which still left unopened, and a few business cards from what used to be one of the three local hobby shops (none of which is around as of today)

20220125-153142.jpg

...and my latest and last racer, updated with a Red Bull livery from when I briefly got back into the hobby in the late '90s. I remember that this car even won a few official Tamiya races back then 🤠

20220125-153511.jpg

20220125-153637.jpg

20220125-153539.jpg

It was a nice surprise to find out that this is still around. I put the toolbox in a safer place after taking the photos, as I'd like to keep it this way! Maybe next time I'll try to switch them on with the aid of some new batteries :lol:

Do people still race these in the UK?? What kind of track do they run on?

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Do people still race these in the UK?? What kind of track do they run on?

Not sure in the UK but I know some still use the track, it’s very expensive from what I’ve seen.

162F65F2-D910-498B-A2CA-66F2A3C6FABC.jpeg.e00068951a3cb7585ec8af4435f1eb93.jpeg

But there’s also this outdoor version “street mini 4WD” where people follow courses and use a stick (like a ice hockey stick) to steer the cars:

97A6FD61-5AFF-4B99-A547-21F8561E313E.jpeg.02fdb4ee69e49d621ce6dad03b329231.jpeg