Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Frankster said:

@Re-Bugged and @yogi-bear do you mind sharing how you made custom decals?

I honestly have no idea how the Motul & KC decals are done, I just know a man who does 😉. The stripes are painted on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frankster said:

Nice. Are you going full police livery as well?

Yes i am, you can read more here.

Yep I can vouch for @yogi-bear‘s talent with custom stickers or even acrylic, he made me a laser cut top plate out of acrylic for my 1/8 set up station to suit Buggy with etched degree measuring lines which works to perfection, that along with some awesome stickers at times too, for both me and @KalEl63 and our team XV01 Lancia’s

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Enjoy, hope you’ve got enough bearings. 70 something if memory serves me correctly!!

Thanks! I bought 2 sets (one metal & one rubber shielded) when I got the Konghead, so the chassis/gearbox will take the rest of those & I’ve ordered 24 Tamiya (!) 630’s for the portals. I’m planning to make it half track & interested to know if it will work ok with wheels/tires on the front.

• Like 1

The QD had some surgery.

After a crash the small piece of plastic that attaches the shock to the front axle snapped. Rather than try and glue it, I tried to think outside the box. I used a long end of a CVA dampener, and screwed that in from the bottom, using the original hole. This then attaches to the end of the QD dampener using a M4 nut and bolt.

RcJjk0z.jpg

I also swapped out the brushless system for a 370 motor. The brushless was fast, but it was noisy and a little jittery.  It's not as explosive, but that might stop any more breakages! 

I98Qq4b.jpg

8wdyHbl.jpg

I also tried it with a 7.4 Li-ion battery. Very similar performance to the 9.6 volt but weighs less. Will try a speed run with both.

It's still much too fast to run without tipping on concrete, but that might also be the body. It's great on short grass, gravel, wood chip etc, but too grippy a surface causes issues.  

Edit, I also have some CVA minis, which I think are perfect for the QD. I think I may install them, to see if that can reduce roll over, but I've got the be honest, it's a (relatively) narrow truck with a high and heavy body. The WPL body is around 390 grams, compared to the QD body of 220 grams, which is also sits much lower. With the WPL body the truck is higher than it is wide.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

Thanks! I bought 2 sets (one metal & one rubber shielded) when I got the Konghead, so the chassis/gearbox will take the rest of those & I’ve ordered 24 Tamiya (!) 630’s for the portals. I’m planning to make it half track & interested to know if it will work ok with wheels/tires on the front.

I look forward to seeing what you produce. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Yes quite please with the optics. I had half a Willy winch and the front will be  a Cr button battery painted clear blue!! Spare tubes are in the plan. Just need to sort out some more tubing the right size. All out of scrap. Going for a dessert Sand scheme rather than green. Can’t see if any of them actually were anything but green but I wanted something different. Kit should arrive Monday/Tuesday. Also may  source a second passenger. Tony has them in stock for about 12 quid. 

They really did exist!! Or is this a Tamiya promo. It’s only when the get out to unhitch the trailer that the passengers don’t look like dummies!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frankster said:

I did watch a YouTube video of tinning bear wires….  I also tinned the tabs but not sure if I preheated tabs enough… 🤞

I've got a mental image of Yogi being electrocuted while trying to steal a picnic. :D

15 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Enjoy, hope you’ve got enough bearings. 70 something if memory serves me correctly!!

Dang... they must be like centipedes.   

@Re-Bugged The decals add a nice touch!   Nice color choice, size, and placement.

• Thanks 1

Got an indoor race coming up at the end of the month, so I setup a quick and dirty workbench to sit at, tore the car apart, swapped out some worn parts, cleaned it all up, now it’s on my setup station to make sure everything is setup as good as it can be. 

It’s been quite a while since I’ve just sat down, put some music in, grabbed a cup of coffee and just built (re-built) a Tamiya car. 

It’s still fun 😃

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I've got a mental image of Yogi being electrocuted while trying to steal a picnic. :D

sorry, wrong “bare” 🐻 

• Haha 1

Mounted tires to rim. Very hard to mount so I masked the tires with masking tape before spray painting the rims. Paint looked well but the cheap masking tape left a residue on the tires…. Test drove on living room carpet and now tires are all covered in lint, rabbit hair and human hair 🤦‍♂️  

I created a RC carpet lint brush 😅

• Haha 4

After last Friday's horror show, took the two 3Rs out for a drive again today. Pretty uneventful. No flying pinions, no wind blowing everything away. Just 40 minutes of driving. The M4 is quite a bit more fun to drive than the MG Evo. Neither motors feel mire than just slightly warm. Going to put in bigger pinions to try and burn them out. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, Frankster said:

@berman sorry to hear about your loss and health.  Speedy recovery 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:48 AM, mtbkym01 said:

@berman man that sounds like a pretty horrid time, feel for you mate, take some time and enjoy your M chassis’ for a bit. It truely is the greatest therapy

On 1/30/2022 at 1:20 AM, Grumpy pants said:

@berman

Matey, sorry to read about your buddy and family member, tough times.

Good to see you are re-emerging and slowly getting back to yourself though. 

On 1/30/2022 at 1:29 AM, GeeWings said:

So sorry to hear that @berman. I really hope 2022 is better to you, and to all of us I think.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:26 AM, OnTheTrail said:

@berman Thoughts and prayers during these tough times. 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:21 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Sorry for your losses @bermanhaving a beer for you and I hope things are on the turn around for the better now mate 🍻

On 1/30/2022 at 1:54 PM, Ferruz said:

@berman my condolences, sorry for your loss. I hope RC will be for you the good therapy that it so often proves to be.

Guys, many many thanks for you thoughts and fine words. I really appreciate your posts. You guys are what makes this such a great caring community 🤗 I will hopefully get back to RC soon. Cheers Neil.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We did a whole lot of sorting in the hobby room, with the result that I found a whole bunch of stuff I will in all likelihood never use. Soon to appear in the For Sale and Pay It Forward sections!

2022-01-31_05-16-39

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Frankster said:

@Re-Bugged and @yogi-bear do you mind sharing how you made custom decals?

Hi @Frankster I don't mind. There are many ways to make stickers. For @Re-Bugged 's  stickers I gave him two versions. I am lucky that I have a wide format printer that has a cutting machine as well. So I set the artwork up in a program like Illustrator but something like Inkscape would work just as well. I also set a cut path in the artwork, which is the final shape of the sticker or the lettering that is to be cut out (there are size limits though!). I also add what is called a bleed to the artwork. Bleed is just extra artwork that gets cut off, it means there is no white edges if the artwork and cutting doesn't line up.

So then I print out onto an outdoor grade sticker material (the better the vinyl you use, the thinner it is too) and the cutting machine cuts it out to what is set in the artwork. So thats how the MOTUL and BAJA 500 stickers where done.

The KC headlight stickers, they were slightly different. They are printed onto clear vinyl, and my machine is able to print a layer of white ink first, only underneath where the artwork is though in this case. I do the white ink layer first because all general printer inks are pretty much designed to be printed on a white surface, and that white background helps give it its colour. If you print onto clear, the colour will wash out, especially if put onto glass or a dark coloured surface. For the KC headlight stickers, I had the cutting machine cut them out as a circle that just fits on the headlight. So for the KC stickers, you can put then on any coloured headlight and its colour will show through, except where the lettering is!

So the above equipment I used it pretty much out of the reach of most people, being about $70K AUD to buy :mellow:, I'm just lucky I have the machines because of the work I do. But you can get cheaper stand alone vinyl cutter machines relatively cheaply that will let you do single colour decals quite nicely, and would cover, not all, but a lot of stickers you might want to make (there are some good examples here in the forums from many members). There is also a lot of choice in colours and finished in vinyl available too, like gold, metallics, chrome etc. The machines are pretty easy to use, but the learning curve will come with learning the software to setup the artwork. I wrote an article for TamiyaBase a few years ago now that goes into a bit more detail about sticker making-> https://www.tamiyabase.com/articles/53-how-to/160-making-decals-part-1

I hope that helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Took my Fighting Buggy to work today, not for a run but for a little photo shoot on the way home.

The vision I had for it has now come to fruition. I can get so far with throwing some masking tape and paint at a body, but anything technical that involves driving a computer, well I need a bit of help there. I couldn't have got this car to the finish line without the grand fellow @yogi-bear, he has done a truly magnificent job of deciphering some cryptic messages from me to produce some beautiful stickers so I can now call this one complete. I am absolutely stoked beyond words, I just can't stop staring at and I'm still pinching myself so I know I'm not dreaming and it is really in my collection 😃.

62B6D72A-E069-4C89-A527-D5153E1D1C1F.jpg

910153F1-3E77-48D9-82A3-422B2E2B98BD.jpg

71E45140-E833-4DE5-956D-5CEFA8D2E840.jpg

FA4A2C6E-CEE3-44A1-B3AD-A8DCF5B6865C.jpg

The car came out awesome! Thanks for the shout out and apologies the decals too me so long to make! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Took my Fighting Buggy to work today, not for a run but for a little photo shoot on the way home.

The vision I had for it has now come to fruition. I can get so far with throwing some masking tape and paint at a body, but anything technical that involves driving a computer, well I need a bit of help there. I couldn't have got this car to the finish line without the grand fellow @yogi-bear, he has done a truly magnificent job of deciphering some cryptic messages from me to produce some beautiful stickers so I can now call this one complete. I am absolutely stoked beyond words, I just can't stop staring at and I'm still pinching myself so I know I'm not dreaming and it is really in my collection 😃.

62B6D72A-E069-4C89-A527-D5153E1D1C1F.jpg

910153F1-3E77-48D9-82A3-422B2E2B98BD.jpg

Stunning. It's just perfect with these decals added. Wow. Great job guys !!! 👍🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stulec52 said:

Got an indoor race coming up at the end of the month, so I setup a quick and dirty workbench to sit at, tore the car apart, swapped out some worn parts, cleaned it all up, now it’s on my setup station to make sure everything is setup as good as it can be. 

It’s been quite a while since I’ve just sat down, put some music in, grabbed a cup of coffee and just built (re-built) a Tamiya car. 

It’s still fun 😃

Therapeutic for me as well.  I sit behind a screen all day and it is nice to used my hands to build / fix something 

@yogi-bear thanks for the info and write up.  Cost is reasonable but hard to justify if I don’t use it much.  Also living in HK, space is a premium and will have no place to store such a printer.  My workshop is the family dining room table which I have to set up and clean up after each use 😅