Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Finished the decals.   :D  Turned out okay I think.  

IMG_2022-2-13-161644.jpg.0667fa042aae49b93712758e46b2d5d3.jpg

I’m going to let this dry overnight since I used distilled water and will go over it again with my heat gun tomorrow before reaming out the little holes for the wing.  

If my work does not kill me, I will start the chassis tomorrow.  

• Like 7

@Nikko85good work with the IKEA spares. Good to know there is a use for them as I keep everything as my wife always asks "why?" ;)

Sounds like a good breakthrough with the Hexes on the QD. What's your secret if I may ask?!

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I mean if you can achieve a nice even coat, layering different colors is no problem.   If your coat is thick you will want to very lightly score the masking tape edges while removal.. but the whole purpose of using backing layers is to have a light coat so not sure if you need to.  :lol:

Maybe in the future if you only need basic colors (or want to make custom colors),  you can look into acrylic paints you can just brush on.  Then you can paint inside your room or bath room with the vent running if you need it.  Acrylic polycarbonate paint (the one I use) have almost no scent compared to enamel/lacquer and is non-toxic.

Sorry for the earlier grammar and spelling mistakes.  Was half asleep when I typed it out. 

Body ended up 1 full white can + 1/2 can silver + 1/2 can black.  So much for light coats of backing 🤦‍♂️.   My OCD had me spraying more layers of black as I could still see layers of silver. 

I do need to look into acrylic polycarbonate paint and if it is available locally. 

10 hours ago, topforcein said:

personally i would apply as few as possible seeing the beautiful paint you have achieved  should not be cover'd up

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yes me too, just enough decal accents only.  

You two have been talking to Mrs RB haven’t you? 🤔😉, that’s exactly what she said..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

You two have been talking to Mrs RB haven’t you? 🤔😉, that’s exactly what she said..

Mrs.RB knows.  :D

• Haha 1

Took the morning off to watch the Super Bowl and had planned to crack open the Blockhead Wild One so I could build as I watched but the game was too involved to look away from. I did order a couple of bits and pieces for later builds. MUST. STOP. BUYING ;) 

• Like 3

Recorded some lap counts for the postal racing using my TL-01LA and TB-03 JGTC-bodied cars. Despite the former running a 27t Reedy MVP and the latter a 13.5t Speed Passion MMM, their lap counts weren't dramatically different. These short courses seem to be great equalisers in terms of power. You don't need a fast motor to post a good result. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@Nikko85good work with the IKEA spares. Good to know there is a use for them as I keep everything as my wife always asks "why?" ;)

Sounds like a good breakthrough with the Hexes on the QD. What's your secret if I may ask?!

I used two 7 to 12 mm 3D printed hex converters on eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Straight onto the rear axle, going into a GF01 wheel. They widen the track with by about 5 cm, mainly due to the different offset of the two wheels.

Front was trickier. When using the QD wheels the front track width was no far too short. I used an 15 mm long 8mm OD  x 5mm ID aluminium spacer on the front axle, with 12 mm bearing inside the 12mm hex of the wheel and a nut on the outside to stop the wheel popping off. I find a 12x5 bearing works very well in a 12 mm hex wheel, with no other mods needed.

I'll take some pictures this evening. 

Received 2 of the biggest pinions I can find on ebay (got bigger ones coming from Aliexpress). Only the 44T one can fit, need to find some smaller spur gears. 

spacer.png

Wanted to see how far I can go before the silver can melts.

spacer.png

Took the regeared MG Evo out for a test. On a very rough surface, about 2mph less than the app calculated. Maybe it is the surface or I am hitting the limits of the silver can. 

spacer.png

I applied cement along all edges to seal the CF from moisture.  

IMG_2022-2-14-084932.jpg.69d62789e8dc84cbcabe7a38dda275ab.jpg

Will give it a couple hours and start assembly..

• Like 2

Nearly finished monsterizing the CR-01.

D51881E8-0FF4-42BD-A8DE-46BA55B62984.jpg
6E220B15-AD76-4ADD-8C16-4C601D886427.jpg
DD47D794-57BD-4EE4-BB45-1A8832BB231B.jpg

Want to check servo alignment before fitting the rear bumper.

Not sure about those shock angles but wanted to at least get it back on its wheels rather than be a pile of bits in the garage.

• Like 5

I found out today why I like this forum so much. Trust...... I entered into a transaction with a fellow member today and before I'd even had a chance to wrap the parcel up let alone sent it the money was in my bank. That means a whole lot to me. To the mystery member thank you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Badcrumble Coming together!!  :D   Those tires and wheels look so good on the CR01.

Thanks @Willy iine. I think I need some shorter stand-offs / ballstuds at the top of the dampers, those are the ones that came with the shocks. 

I've got some other wheels / tyres coming that I think will suit it better but let's wait until I get a body on there. I have a little hard body (and paint and stickers) that I think would look really cute but I think the wheelbase will be too short, even with plenty of cutting. 

I did receive some vouchers for Modelsport which would go part way to a new JConcepts body and paint. Need better weather though...

At some point I'll get wrenching on it again - I have an 8T 550 can to replace the silver can.

• Like 1

Started the chassis.. This chassis is so quirky.. it’s CF, but has a lot of Tamiya goodness that is quite different from other CF dual decks I’ve built in the past from other brands. 

IMG_2022-2-14-172940.jpg.d5bac1604c7b62d09bcf2297b01fee85.jpg

• Like 1

Today I started the process of building yet another scale garage. I had to sell my last one as we were moving house. However, the move fell through and instead we've extended my garage, so I now a have room for a permanent home for a nice scale garage. It won't be as elaborate as before, but nonetheless, it'll still provide a nice back drop to build pics. Well, I hope so....

Here's the start of the 'slow progress' build.

OhIENTm.jpg

vBvXoPC.jpg

• Like 7

@Badcrumble I am not familiar with CR-01.  Looks like you painted the frame and change tires (clod buster?).  Dampers look different too. Is the ride better with this suspension set up as it is more direct?

F6FB25DA-83D0-4D7A-9C7F-ACC5B5D3988B.jpeg.257c757fe2d61f713790867d5a29fc83.jpegF9AECBA2-D068-4AB5-AC45-8EB433129942.jpeg.b75dfbea64199498c320d0d76c185877.jpeg
0F5824EF-F989-4AF9-96AA-52204C32E132.jpeg.63389c3072c9b2cd163c074e824b03bb.jpeg

80BCE3AF-1134-4116-BEEA-9F0BFAF1C5C6.jpeg.7a6e22a3f4acf96c12bc9cc1a082438c.jpeg

all masked and painted. Headlights did not come with any masking.  I applied masking tape to wax paper and then traced the light lens decal against the window (poor man’s light box). 

1 can of white + 1/2 can of silver backing + 1/2 can of black backing.  No issues with the darker colors peaking through as I was checking for evenness between the white coats. Could not fully score the window masking before removing and the edges are a little rough.  The window frame decals should cover this up

• Like 8

I've been going though our warehouse stock and applying vehicle fitment checks to new and old tamiya part numbers in out database for our website and sales system

Your Porsche is looking nice @Frankster. Are there four holes in the roof? Is it going to have a rack?

The inspiration for the  CR-01 comes from this thread

The wheels and tyres are from an MST monster truck so retain the the standard hex size (Clod tyres are bigger with a wider hub to handle the forces).

The car came to me second hand but I think the black chassis was stock on the Rock Socker.

Whilst I believe that some real monster trucks did run divorced coil set-ups, I removed the complicated Tamiya cantilever springs / dampers for a cleaner, more traditional look (copying one of our esteemed TC members!).

• Like 1

I redid the windshield decal as I did not like Tamiya’s tint decal..took me a while as I trial and errored a few different vinyls.. this one is automotive BMW vinyl in rich glossy black.   

Also started the masking for the tray.  :D  

Will work on it some more during my breaks.  

IMG_2022-2-15-082446.jpg.d938401bcc1d018fb9fbba94c85b5ad2.jpg

IMG_2022-2-15-090600.jpg.3c6f5e6f0d50925c6256c6a5ec5f7593.jpg

• Like 7