Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Ha, he looks cool mate. Now you've given him a goatie this time he looks even more like Ramon Salazar!B)

Thanks!   His name is Doug.  :D   I’m not entirely done but posted a few shots in the pictures only thread.  

I’m going to replace the motor wires with black and red jackets and maybe apply a decal at the back of the wing.  

BTW, thanks for the inspiration.   I kind of copied the theme from your Azarashi ride.  

IMG_2022-4-1-180317.thumb.jpg.920c14a1f046ca646490268b70f046a3.jpg

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Looks proper class mateB) We need more pics

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Looking badass now mate! Has she been out for a run yet?

Mixed feeling on the idea of taking it on a run.  A lot of effort put into this car and do not want it to get damaged.  On other hand cars are meant to be driven 🤔.

Who else has this dilemma? 

43 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!   His name is Doug.  :D   I’m not entirely done but posted a few shots in the pictures only thread.  

I’m going to replace the motor wires with black and red jackets and maybe apply a decal at the back of the wing.  

BTW, thanks for the inspiration.   I kind of copied the theme from your Azarashi ride.  

I love these simple classics buggy designs

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Mixed feeling on the idea of taking it on a run.  A lot of effort put into this car and do not want it to get damaged.  On other hand cars are meant to be driven 🤔.

I drive all my RC cars except for the one M38 in the display box as it has a MSC.    :D 

i use to practice just driving A LOT during my racing days running a semi-junk body and testing my limits and my car set up.  I would drive for hours as if I was practice playing a musical instrument. 

These days I don't go all out, but drive briskly and spiritedly.  I never crash so I don't worry about damaging my cars.. plus I drive by myself so I don't have to worry about getting hit by someone like at the track.  :blink:

7 minutes ago, Frankster said:

I love these simple classics buggy designs

Thanks,, it might be just my age, but I tend to like minimal decal application.  

10 minutes ago, Frankster said:

I think we all do mate, once you put a decent amount of effort into something, the relationship with it can change. I try to run all the ones that I planned to be runners!

Took my regeared MG Evo out for a test drive. Gained nearly 5mph from last week. Motor felt just slightly warm so I think it should be good even higher gearing. 

zupRedx.jpeg

The fun had to stop when a tyre came off. I recently rotated front - rear and forgot to glue the previously rear ones. 

wmIHnmT.jpeg

With this wear profile. This tyre is going to the rear and probably have just one more run left in it. 

vsevgUi.jpg

Given the low temperature achieved today, I up geared it from 75/34 to 75/38, giving a new FDR of 3.95. That is risky and a fan is probably needed in the summer. 

s6wwh46.jpg

Also tested a recently installed temperature sensing fan out. 

It did kept a very over geared silver can cool. 

YIAHyAH.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts @Willy iine and @Kol__ .  I usually go out driving with my son and his friends who are 8.  They are more into crashing and bashing than building.  Hence the reluctance to take my nice cars out.  I do drive the DT-02 Nissan Titan trucks as a bashers and plan to drive the reconditioned Manta Ray once the weather gets better. 

I like the idea of driving solo…

@alvinlwh glad to see you are pushing your cars. Are you targeting any specific top speed on a stock silver can?   Have you mapped out or charted your progress?

2 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Thanks for your thoughts @Willy iine and @Kol__ .  I usually go out driving with my son and his friends who are 8.  They are more into crashing and bashing than building.  Hence the reluctance to take my nice cars out.  I do drive the DT-02 Nissan Titan trucks as a bashers and plan to drive the reconditioned Manta Ray once the weather gets better. 

I like the idea of driving solo…

Yeah, kids are tough..  I think the impact is more entertaining to them than the driving alone.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

@alvinlwh glad to see you are pushing your cars. Are you targeting any specific top speed on a stock silver can?   Have you mapped out or charted your progress?

Not really. The answer is actually kind of complicated. This "project" started off as a mission to kill off my silver cans as I had never used them in the past so had quite a collection of them. It then progress to a learning process of gear ratios (for speed) and then to how to balance between tyre wear, speed and temperature. So it had kind of progressed from a somewhat insane purpose to an educational purpose, by being hands on. 

Along the way, I also learnt about BEC, UBEC and servo amperage. 

Progress wise, I think I had hit the limit (of gearing possibilities, correct spur gears are hard to find). I am now experimenting with brushless using the info I had learnt on the silver cans. The 30.3mph car (first picture) is my first brushless, put in after I blew out a brush of a silver can. It did hit a max of 27.6mph with a gear ratio of 64/44 giving a FDR of 2.9. (the chart you mentioned perhaps?) 

Sorry, this is a mess of an answer, basically I am just messing around with something that cost nothing (silver cans) and hope I get some knowledge along the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, kids are tough..  I think the impact is more entertaining to them than the driving alone.  :lol:

Not just kids, any non-builders. I had grown adults that think it is funny driving my cars straight into a wall at full speed. Luckily this was during the time when my cars were still sub 20mph. Even then, they still managed to crack the chassis of my TT-01. 

• Sad 1

Finished up the CC02 at 242mm.  BF body fits nicely…

dkJtIYr.jpg

I may cut another notch off the body posts…  Maybe not…

y2DnuLX.jpg

Either way, I happy with how it turned out…

HLEh7hh.jpg

I don’t want to mess up my hard shell so I’m pulling out a NIB Parma Blackfoot lexan body from deep deep storage…

Terry

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

More and more these days. I used to run in all sorts of conditions but now I don’t like even taking my old CC01 out if it’s too mucky. 

39 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

More and more these days. I used to run in all sorts of conditions but now I don’t like even taking my old CC01 out if it’s too mucky. 

Makes a lot of sense, you put a lot of time, effort and money into them. 

8 hours ago, Frankster said:

A lot of effort put into this car and do not want it to get damaged.  On other hand cars are meant to be driven 🤔.

If I want a nice model that is a reflection of the real thing, I build a static model. RC cars are just "something like" the real thing only anyway.

All my RC get run and usually crashed, sometimes badly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Makes a lot of sense, you put a lot of time, effort and money into them. 

True but they are after all RC cars!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

If I want a nice model that is a reflection of the real thing, I build a static model. RC cars are just "something like" the real thing only anyway.

All my RC get run and usually crashed, sometimes badly. 

👆THIS👆 I can't have cars on the shelf that never see some good hard outdoor use. If it doesn't get used it gets sold.*

*other opinions are available though 😁

• Like 1

We all have different circumstances ..   I’d drive them if you’d like or not drive them if you’d like.  It’s fine either way, your car, your decision.   :D 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

We all have different circumstances ..   I’d drive them if you’d like or not drive them if you’d like.  It’s fine either way, your car, your decision.   :D 

That's my attitude too; each to their own :)

I have a couple that are regular runners (TT02R / TT02B Plasma Edge / M03 Mini / Bigwig re:re), all of which are pretty ubiquitous, quick and cheap to build and with ready parts availability

Everything else, where I invest time and money into building something a bit more personal or off-book, or where some of the parts were hard to find....they stay on the shelf

I ran my Super Duper Astute a couple of times and then crashed it and got scared! So I bought a Sand Viper and run it instead, for the same reasons as above

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

That's my attitude too; each to their own :)

I have a couple that are regular runners (TT02R / TT02B Plasma Edge / M03 Mini / Bigwig re:re), all of which are pretty ubiquitous, quick and cheap to build and with ready parts availability

Everything else, where I invest time and money into building something a bit more personal or off-book, or where some of the parts were hard to find....they stay on the shelf

I ran my Super Duper Astute a couple of times and then crashed it and got scared! So I bought a Sand Viper and run it instead, for the same reasons as above

Wow!  
Great different view points here. Many factors from kids to effort put into car to parts availability etc.  I have a few which are shelf queens but also other cars I trash 😅

So… what is your shelf queen garage, what is your daily driver and what is NIB?!?!

Shelf: The Big Wig, Monster Beetle, Honda HSV-010 TA-05 v2, Porsche 911 RSR Safari

Daily Driver: Two Nissan Titan DT-02 and Manta Ray DF-01

NIB: Blockhead Motors Wild One, TT-01 Ferrari Enzo, TT-02B Neo Scorcher, Mini Cooper (body only at the moment ) 

Shelf :  Egress / Astute / Super Astute

Runners:  Astute / Durga / Holiday Buggy / Sand Viper / F150 (TA02T) / FJ (CC01)

Projects:  Super Astute-X / Super Astute Mid

Shelf : none

Daily driver : RX Memorial, Blackfoot, Bear Hawk

NIB : MF01X Beetle, Holiday Buggy, Comical Hornet, TT02B Plasma Edge

And some projects to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

So… what is your shelf queen garage, what is your daily driver and what is NIB?!?!

I have a shelf queen shell or two but the chassis still get run, hard. 

A VW Karmann Ghia shell for my 239mm M-06. 

And my wife's Suzuki Swift for the 225mm M-05.

Everything else get ran and trashed hard. 

NIB? NEVER!