Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got lucky last week and picked up this unbuilt original Frog kit off ebay for the same price as a new re-re. It's SO cool seeing the blister packs and the part marking on the old molded parts.

Unfortunately - I'm missing one rear arm and the resistor plate, so they're on the way. I think I'm going to do box-art with a brighter pink, and paint the spokes and hubs of the rims the same color.

Resized_20220424_132147_6380.jpeg

Resized_20220424_132052_5776.jpeg

Resized_20220424_132129_6261.jpeg

• Like 12

Wow.. original Frog.  Brings back memories... Good :D and bad :blink: ..

GL with the build, @Unknown Driver!!   :D   Hope you get those misc parts in soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I started on the strip down and rebuild of my old Baja Champ. It's been sat in the loft for about 20 years. Stripped it down today ready for the clean up tomorrow. My trusty helper was with me as well!

20220425_161213.jpg

20220425_161229.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yesterday and today i decided to trim the front of the chassi a bit, notch out the bottom of the front bit of on the shell a little, go at the window trim with a sharpie, print side view mirrors+a bumper+plastidip those, design+print+install headlight fixings and install the windows.

Just got that all together.

I figured that since i wouldnt be using the chrome mirrors anyways i could skip buying that sprue and just make my own fixings for the headlights to save a bit of cash, the files are over IN THIS THREAD over in TC designs.

Im thinking i might try panel lining/a pin wash on the body lines, if i dont like it its going to be relatively easy to get off since its oil.

IMG_20220425_174437.thumb.jpg.8542f036ad9e6ffe1f5af4dec4dd3c01.jpg

• Like 7

Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner a little while ago, and finally got around to testing it!

20220424_104537.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeffSpicoli said:

You look like you got some pretty good painting skills.

@JeffSpicoli thx Buddy… well I would say intermedia, watching up to all those experts here in this Forum… but thx!

Just having a good relaxing me-time in this hobby… guess thats what we all love here! Deep dive in the Project and at the end you can see (hopefully with a happy admiring eye) what you have done!

and the inner child is happy too :-)

• Like 1

Getting sorted and ready for a little tweaking tonight.  Need to pick a radio - I am looking at the Sanwa MT44. Will probably take Willy Chang’s advice on battery packs.  The hunt for a painter continues - Another “pro” painter in Instagram not answering DMs for quotes hehe. 

2DC1C8BF-01DC-4B02-83A6-C227A8923C58.jpeg

3 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner a little while ago, and finally got around to testing it!

20220424_104537.jpg

Looks like you're running low on yellow wheels mate:ph34r:

Today I put some of the shelf queens on literal shelves.

m3Ue5TL.jpg

3 down, many to go.

• Like 2

Got the Unimog painting done last night.  Stickers tomorrow hopefully, and then I need to decide if I'm going with the stock red wheels or painting them.

YXgxN5l.jpg

• Like 2

Morning all,

I can't keep up this pace, but I'll sure have fun going bankrupt trying. LOL - the Thundershot came yesterday. Shelf queen it's whole life - all I had to do was dust it off. I also came to a minor realization...

Many of the restos I've done that came with their original bodies were unpainted BUT had decals applied. What kind of ack-basswards behavior is this? When I looked through the Thundershot manual, I realized that the builder is instructed to BRUSH PAINT the body. So people probably would apply the decals, then use them as a template to know where to paint. This body was painted pretty thin, so I gave it another coat (by brush!) of white and dark blue. Came out pretty good.

I do wish it still had the mono-shock, but at least the mini shocks are period correct.

Resized_20220425_201849_3397.jpeg

Resized_20220425_201905_1578.jpeg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Ziddan said:

Yesterday and today i decided to trim the front of the chassi a bit, notch out the bottom of the front bit of on the shell a little, go at the window trim with a sharpie, print side view mirrors+a bumper+plastidip those, design+print+install headlight fixings and install the windows.

Just got that all together.

I figured that since i wouldnt be using the chrome mirrors anyways i could skip buying that sprue and just make my own fixings for the headlights to save a bit of cash, the files are over IN THIS THREAD over in TC designs.

Im thinking i might try panel lining/a pin wash on the body lines, if i dont like it its going to be relatively easy to get off since its oil.

IMG_20220425_174437.thumb.jpg.8542f036ad9e6ffe1f5af4dec4dd3c01.jpg

Love the sharpie hack 😅

11 hours ago, wun1jee said:

Today I put some of the shelf queens on literal shelves.

m3Ue5TL.jpg

3 down, many to go.

Nice shelf queens… what do you call the one hanging? 🤔

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Looks like you're running low on yellow wheels mate:ph34r:

Ha ha, I know, right?

I had picked up a couple Midnight Pumpkins and a QD Pumpkin a little while back, and just started the cleaning.  One of the rims was wrecked, and a couple more have some heavy marks on them.  The QD ones are quite good, and I'll be able to pull a set of 4 out of this pile.

But as a picture... ya, ridiculous amounts of yellow!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

But as a picture... ya, ridiculous amounts of yellow!

Got to say I do love the Tamiya yellow wheels though! And I'm not usually a big fan of yellow in general, but when it that shade and on a Tamiya, I dig it, maybe it's the retro thing:)

On 4/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, Tumbi said:

yes… its amazing how you can send this car with a little wider wheels! Much mure stable…

A132C293-A583-49B7-A45C-913CBDC15085.jpeg

bottom out like a champ 💪🏼🤣

Awesome. Thanks for the info:)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frankster said:

Nice shelf queens… what do you call the one hanging? 🤔

Bob.

• Haha 3

Made some car display stands out of some leftover brackets and bits, mainly cos I needed the lunchbox tyres they were all sitting on 😂

E82513F1-28E8-4BB8-AF95-FB3F92974A0B.jpeg

B677DBC2-2F9E-4A9D-8D1D-E2269565D40F.jpeg

• Like 4