Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today my Sand Hopper got oil shocks fitted:

IMG_20220512_055653.jpg.8c50ce0f255adcb39c57edeaf5924dcc.jpgIMG_20220512_055632.thumb.jpg.3969681babd8eba603e2ffcb004c560b.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Willy iine said:

I am hoping the Avante driver fits in the cockpit.  I plan to use the window decals as masks as I did on the SandViper.  

Eagerly awaiting your SA build and thread !   The Super Astute window decals are translucent with a tinted smoke effect.  I always cut them out, then use them as a template on some Tamiya masking sheet.  Then use the masking sheet cut outs as window masks.  Save those window decals for later or if the driver figure doesn't work out, you can still choose to use them for the intended tint on the windows. 

9 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Eagerly awaiting your SA build and thread !   The Super Astute window decals are translucent with a tinted smoke effect.  I always cut them out, then use them as a template on some Tamiya masking sheet.  Then use the masking sheet cut outs as window masks.  Save those window decals for later or if the driver figure doesn't work out, you can still choose to use them for the intended tint on the windows. 

Yeah, that’s a good idea.  I like the tinted windows on my Evo even though I have a driver inside.   It keeps the factory appearance.  

IMG_2022-4-28-182841.jpg.57117d8818ff8fc599e9d0f9386c7611.jpg

• Like 3

For me nothing new today as I need to think about dusting (cleaning) my RC shop.. I think I should do that before I start the SuperAstute build.  Each time I build something out of those plasticards I tend to get light dust everywhere and it can accumulate after a couple of those builds.  

It’s looking like we got wet weather coming this weekend so would be a perfect time to do some RC building.  :D 

• Like 3

Added some Super Clodbuster internal chassis reinforcements to one of my vintage Clods. wanted to brace the chassis but keep the stock appearance. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Today I received a very nice package from @TurnipJF a Heavy Dump body I'm going to make into something very cool. Thanks man.

I also ordered another two Tamiya QD monster trucks in rather sorry condition. They are broken down, with parts missing. One I'm going to get one running with a new body and then the other may be kept for spares. It's possible I could get both working, but that kind of defeats my "have spare parts" idea....

Out of interested, does anyone have any tips for taking off paint from solid bodies? The set I've got bought comes with two completely (badly) painted over monster beetle bodies, my least favourite of all the QD bodies, but I might be able to use with an MF01x chassis to make a 1/14 scale blitzer beetle style truck.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

does anyone have any tips for taking off paint from solid bodies? 

Brake fluid

Oven cleaner

Graffiti remover 

• Like 2

@Nikko85 As Grumpy pants mentioned, brake fluid does work.. but be sure your local recycling depot can accept the spent fluid before use. 

Also just carefully sanding.  

• Like 1

@Nikko85

I've used finer grit sandpaper and it really depends how many coats of paint are on it - if you know that amount - the more you sand obviously the more detail you can remove from the body.   My preference is buy a new body if possible :)

• Like 1

Just got done dusting my entire RC shop.  Took a while and some effort, but all worth it.   It wasn't as dusty as I thought so that was good.  :D

Now the room is ready for my SuperAstute build over the weekend!  I'm going to take my time as I won't have another car to work on until the 4WD Wheeler is available in about a month's time.. I expect to do the chassis over the weekend and maybe do the body next week, decal the following week.  

Then take a break making something out of plasticards again..  not sure what to make just yet.. But I think I'm going to make something for the military themed Billy's Beetles.. 

• Like 2

May you all forgive me for posting something non-Tamiya, but I'm rather proud of this guy. It's one of my top 5 favorites for sure. It has a Tekin Rebel ESC and Trinity Green Machine 2 motor. :)

Resized_20220511_201153_3700.jpeg

Resized_20220511_201213_288.jpeg

Resized_20220511_201406_6533.jpeg

• Like 9

I too am posting a non Tamiya and it’s also a Losi!! Took my Raptor out for a walk. It’s not a great trail runner so the walk to the proper running area is a bit jerky. However once we arrived you get to see what a 3s lipo and brushless motor can provide!!! The Spektrum controller has a three position Throttle switch 50/75/100% and I thought I had it in 100% mode. Well I didn’t there was a little but of moulding flash that stopped it fully going forward. Once removed off we went. This is one of the gravel tracks57C83023-17B5-49A3-9784-026A5B547725.jpg and I had to turn it back to 75% as it was just too fast. C8EAF701-FAAA-4E9D-B530-8812A62B7461.jpg
I then took it to a very infrequently used rugby pitch that is regularly mown. Oh Lordy Lordy, at 100% this thing just flys. It hunkers down at the rear until you hit the brakes the the rear end jacks up Ito the air and wags it’s tail. Well I ran 2 5000 3s packs through it and did an extra 5000 steps for my days total. You can have fun with your clothes on😊!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just got done dusting my entire RC shop.  Took a while and some effort, but all worth it.   It wasn't as dusty as I thought so that was good.  :D

Now the room is ready for my SuperAstute build over the weekend!  I'm going to take my time as I won't have another car to work on until the 4WD Wheeler is available in about a month's time.. I expect to do the chassis over the weekend and maybe do the body next week, decal the following week.  

Then take a break making something out of plasticards again..  not sure what to make just yet.. But I think I'm going to make something for the military themed Billy's Beetles.. 

Got my usual RCMart update newsletter and noticed that they have release XB versions of the Mito and BMW Mini. So they obviously have licences so why can’t they produce kits!! Or at least full bodyshells??

• Like 1

Finally a proper CF deck RWD chassis for the ossan (middle-aged dude)! :lol:

IMG_2022-5-13-121801.jpg.3ad3fbe4ac03cbff659842389c30c5c8.jpg

Full bearings and turnbuckles equipped.

Electronics to be installed are the same 1252MG, 1060, SuperStockBZ, SR215 receiver as my other recent build buggies. 

IMG_2022-5-13-170916.jpg.a9033e0e9ab30f14a04cd50147d898b2.jpg

Final update for today.. bench test passed; I will work on the HiCap dampers and test drive tomorrow. :D 

This car has everything I’d want from a RWD buggy.  

IMG_2022-5-13-170808.jpg.b778eff4344677c28fe69e5e82ffa410.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 11

So… had a break for a while! Busy week so far!

But I recieved the Wheelie-Bar for my Bugsy today! 

i don‘t like the look… honestly… but I prefere my Bugsys *** to be protected 🤣

I switched the numberplate to the side so I could fit in those exhausts… but if i wheelied to hard, the exhausts were ripped off.

so i guess that will be fine now!

But the bad news are: it doesn‘t run!!! 

last week I replaced the ESC and everything was good…happy testride but today - no signal at all! Battery is fine though!

I‘ll check that tomorrow… but aaarrrrgh I hate electrics😭 (not knowing where the Probleme is)

CED5A6F9-8DAC-4BAC-BC5E-2A5B00148CE4.jpeg

• Like 5

I Turned my DT-02 into a nearly Comical Grass Hopper!  The Grass Hopper shells don't fit, but a Marui Shogun reproduction shell from Team BlueGroove does a fine impression. It fits around the tub well.  Please don't look too closely at the paint job - my masking was horrible! For stickers, the Comical Grass Hopper set worked perfectly on the Shogun shell.  I decided to go big with the tires and use the Comical versions.  I was going to do the Tamiya wheels, but I wanted the white wheel, with a white insert; I didn't want the green spokes.  I tried the part list for the Comical hotshot, since the photos show white spokes, but it led me to grey spokes...   I found the Optima optional 2" wheels fit quite well.  The Comical tires are 2" internal diameter.  You can stretch them over 2.2" wheels, but I didn't like the look.  Are the wild willy wheels 2" or 2.2?  The have a 2wd setup, right?  I had to convert the front to hex to make this work.  Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Oh yeah, Comical Hornet driver. :D

IMG_1464cropresize.jpg.23d6f18c2e23261e8abf3fcda9e19bed.jpg

IMG_1462cropresize.jpg.03fc273ff022dec14eef4614f6eec6b9.jpg

IMG_1460cropresize.jpg.7cfd5b40c16107883e9c23adf03cd754.jpg

IMG_1463cropresize.jpg.4afc913c220155ec8102401f654316d6.jpg

IMG_1465crop.thumb.jpg.94f517fbf0628771500d63b0a4964b67.jpg

IMG_1461cropresize.jpg.aa00f884f2e2719864b59d1ff3b991fe.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

One of thee days i should probably get that new au Tom's GR Supra body..  :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Got my usual RCMart update newsletter and noticed that they have release XB versions of the Mito and BMW Mini. So they obviously have licences so why can’t they produce kits!! Or at least full bodyshells??

I saw that too…. Unfortunately it is XB so it takes the fun out of the build.  Also it is not the classic Mini Cooper.  What are you looking for as there are a few sellers on my side of the world

My Buggsy is good to go!

had an ESC (waiting for my new Optima MID… so will have to order a new one) at home.

891130AC-CA7A-4495-BAAF-8D97CD0C65F5.jpeg

And i painted the silver line!

will head to the skate park later :-)

2EF666CE-5FD3-4F78-AB34-CFF74A3EBB7A.jpeg

• Like 9