Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Ferruz sorry to hear About your tooth pain but glad it’s improving.

Not too much news here except I did meet a great Tamiya fan yesterday. I had met up to buy some used Hotshot shock parts and he was kind enough to throw in some spare parts and a whole decal sheet free of charge. Great guy!

52171654807_8fb854abc7_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, Robert5000 said:

Slow and steady pulling the Shogun and Ninja apart. I need to find a manual online as this will be badword to put together, in one second I’m thinking I’ve got a nice system, the next I start singing along to the music and I’ve completely forgotten what my so called system was. 

F7C6CE27-54A3-47C5-BC91-290AEFE27F6A.jpeg

Ninja, Coors, Shogun. The chassis is not that bad, but to reach the inside of the gearboxes, you need to tear it down to the ultime part, just like the Samurai :)

Going inverse order from the manual is obviously the easier way :)

• Like 1

Set up this Jielde s1333 desk lamp - I have no good bright light when I’m working so this will be a big help.  Fully adjustable in almost every way.  Hand made in France so the quality is top notch and will last a lifetime.  

The Euros are awesome - do you think they included a bulb for the hefty price?  Nope!   lol 

e14 bulbs are hard to find you won’t find them locally in the US.  Gotta get on Scamazon.

6E3E4E39-761D-4773-ABF5-2564DD2B6579.jpeg

• Like 4

Finally, after 4 years, I've finished the resto of my childhood Astute!

I got the chassis up together a while back, with some new lower arms being added recently, but I've been terrible at getting around to painting a new body for it. So it was quite a climactic event when I got the new genuine body cut and painted. I remember seeing someone on here who had backed the red with black on their Astute and thought it looked fantastic, so I had to pinch that idea - and I love it! I also have to give a shout out to rc-decals.co.uk who supplied half the stickers for this one (used the rest on the Jamie Booth body) - excellent quality, precut, great value and service.

The Super Astute body is actually a spare body I bought and painted back when I was a kid, which had almost no use whatsoever, so it had a good polish and I stuck some custom MCI-Racing decals on it. I think I'll get a new rear wing for it, as it'll pull the colour scheme together better.

So happy to have these finished now :) 

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

image1.JPG

• Like 16

20220626_082258

I knocked out this rough Clodzilla 3-ish replica chassis many years ago and then lost interest. Last week I began piecing it together for some reason. While 3D printing is awesome and will be the future in many respects, I miss the old home-grown approach of piecing something together with odds and ends from the local hardware store. Its hard to believe they sold stuff like this in the magazines BITD.

• Like 5

Finished cleaning the body and masked the windows. Masked the lights in case I want to add light buckets in the future.  This will be a 911 RSR Gulf Safari livery. 

Question to TC forum members, I am looking at the light pod finish with the following options:

1. Black to match the wheels.  Gulf cars typically have black wheels and this should work.  Black room rack and side mirrors will be a good contrast.  Also researching, majority rally cars have white pods to match the white body or black. My preference.

2. Robin light blue with orange stripe.  Continue it all the way through including the light pod. 

3. Make entire light pod orange along with side mirrors.   I think this may be too much orange as I like it as an accent color and not over dominating.  

Open to thoughts / comments

2786BEA7-B0E9-49FC-BD66-5215B2D149C5.jpeg.c3bae89d36d7be55bb7bc555d005623b.jpeg7B7F8385-2138-4296-8605-EA13C5DB4691.jpeg.de3cad7a9e2fdfb7842f235e4c4d515f.jpeg

• Like 6

Tough call @Frankster. The cars that come to mind for me for reference are the RS200 and Stratos. From Google images, the '200 was commonly white with white pods, the Stratos in Alitalia livery had black pods with white lens covers but other liveries were body coloured.

Given that going body coloured would mean switching to TS paints and colour matching, if it were me, I would wimp out and just paint the pod black to tie in with the wheels and rack.

As for my activity today, I went to order some Monster Mutt stickers from MCI but the only shipping option came up was FedEx at £89!!! Must be a glitch, will try again tomorrow on a different machine. Otherwise, I'll be trimming my own vinyl!

Spent the weekend trying to work out whether or not to take a new job I’ve been offered - comes with a sign on bonus and set salary for 12 months, but it is a lot more hours over the course of a year.

It’s not an easy one, the money would be really helpful, but it comes at a price 😳

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Finished cleaning the body and masked the windows. Masked the lights in case I want to add light buckets in the future.  This will be a 911 RSR Gulf Safari livery. 

Question to TC forum members, I am looking at the light pod finish with the following options:

1. Black to match the wheels.  Gulf cars typically have black wheels and this should work.  Black room rack and side mirrors will be a good contrast.  Also researching, majority rally cars have white pods to match the white body or black. My preference.

2. Robin light blue with orange stripe.  Continue it all the way through including the light pod. 

3. Make entire light pod orange along with side mirrors.   I think this may be too much orange as I like it as an accent color and not over dominating.  

Open to thoughts / comments

2786BEA7-B0E9-49FC-BD66-5215B2D149C5.jpeg.c3bae89d36d7be55bb7bc555d005623b.jpeg7B7F8385-2138-4296-8605-EA13C5DB4691.jpeg.de3cad7a9e2fdfb7842f235e4c4d515f.jpeg

I would go with white… matches good with the Gulf-Logo… even black would be more authentic… but white would look more balanced IMO.

That's an even tougher decision that which colour for light pods @Grumpy pants.

Sounds like it will have an impact on the family and time so not an easy call. Less time to enjoy that new house and run your Tamiya? Or more money to spend on Tamiya? Hmm....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, silvertriple said:

Ninja, Coors, Shogun. The chassis is not that bad, but to reach the inside of the gearboxes, you need to tear it down to the ultime part, just like the Samurai :)

Going inverse order from the manual is obviously the easier way :)

Do you have any idea how interchangable the parts are? For example, is there a lot of difference between the Coors and the Ninja? Or is there a chance that a complete Coors will be a good donor for a Ninja? Reason I'm using the Ninja as an example is that the Shogun seems complete except for a missing battery lid. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tumbi said:

Love ghe driver! Who is he?

Wish I knew! But I've got close to zero knowledge about Marui -apart from them looking cool. Bought the ninja and shogun as a lot maybe five years ago and they've been sat in a box ever since. Thought it would be time to try to sort them and give them a spin. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Do you have any idea how interchangable the parts are? For example, is there a lot of difference between the Coors and the Ninja? Or is there a chance that a complete Coors will be a good donor for a Ninja? Reason I'm using the Ninja as an example is that the Shogun seems complete except for a missing battery lid. 

I have the 3 chassis here at home : parts are interchangeable between the 3 siblings... There is few details that are different : Coors and Shogun have metal small bevel gears, and the battery lid is different on the later iteration of those two (there is ribs on the v2 of those kits aimed to protect the gearbox which is quite exposed). The interchangeability works except the color which is not the same for the shogun and Coors : they are dark grey, while the Ninja is black.

If you need a battery lid, I've put the stl files on Thingiverse for both the first and second iteration...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Wish I knew! But I've got close to zero knowledge about Marui -apart from them looking cool. Bought the ninja and shogun as a lot maybe five years ago and they've been sat in a box ever since. Thought it would be time to try to sort them and give them a spin. 

The driver on your picture is a Marui Ninja driver. Probably one of the coolest looking driver figure out there. And if you need one, OptimaHouse is doing nice reproductions :)

• Like 2

Finished the bodyshell for my Kyosho Spider TF3 chassis, and the chassis setup with motor, ESC and radio (I had almost nothing to do as the chassis was clean and already built, so it will run this way). provision was made during the masking for leds (later) and I won't add any sponsors as I found it nice this way :) (nb: it's a Tamiya bodyshell, as most of the one I found for this chassis where for the 200 mm width versions and this one is a 190mm).

0N6xRyd.jpg

Ak0rlKZ.jpg

xuXRdaq.jpg

Bwo4TUQ.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Tough call @Frankster. The cars that come to mind for me for reference are the RS200 and Stratos. From Google images, the '200 was commonly white with white pods, the Stratos in Alitalia livery had black pods with white lens covers but other liveries were body coloured.

Given that going body coloured would mean switching to TS paints and colour matching, if it were me, I would wimp out and just paint the pod black to tie in with the wheels and rack.

As for my activity today, I went to order some Monster Mutt stickers from MCI but the only shipping option came up was FedEx at £89!!! Must be a glitch, will try again tomorrow on a different machine. Otherwise, I'll be trimming my own vinyl!

Thanks @Badcrumble .  Thinking the same. I hear you can paint abs plastics with TS pain but the finish would be subpar.   

For MCI, wait until July 1st Canada Day and usually there is a 20% off discount.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tumbi said:

I would go with white… matches good with the Gulf-Logo… even black would be more authentic… but white would look more balanced IMO.

Thanks @Tumbi   Good thing I can paint over this a few times if I don’t like the color.   Never though about white on a light blue body but it could work.  Maybe I change to RS200 white rally dish wheels to match the light pods 🤔.  Add a Sparco / OZ Racing decal

E65F5043-9AE0-4135-A790-D84E2C9D9992.jpeg.58e5119bae8af9517530abb1a33b8684.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Spent the weekend trying to work out whether or not to take a new job I’ve been offered - comes with a sign on bonus and set salary for 12 months, but it is a lot more hours over the course of a year.

It’s not and easy one, the money would be really helpful, but it comes at a price 😳

Will more money buy you more Tamiya therapy?

Just make sure this is a job you want to do 5 days a week.   Pointless to have all the money and be miserable.  Good luck

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Thanks @Tumbi   Good thing I can paint over this a few times if I don’t like the color.   Never though about white on a light blue body but it could work.  Maybe I change to RS200 white rally dish wheels to match the light pods 🤔.  Add a Sparco / OZ Racing decal

E65F5043-9AE0-4135-A790-D84E2C9D9992.jpeg.58e5119bae8af9517530abb1a33b8684.jpeg

Oh yes!!! This could look very good 💪🏼🤘🏼🤣

• Like 1

Appreciate all the excellent information @silvertriple I've got a lead on a NIB Coors, so that might be a solution. And I'll make sure to check out Optimahouse for a driver, as I only got one. And I'll head over to thingiverse to poke around. 

1 minute ago, Robert5000 said:

Appreciate all the excellent information @silvertriple I've got a lead on a NIB Coors, so that might be a solution. And I'll make sure to check out Optimahouse for a driver, as I only got one. And I'll head over to thingiverse to poke around. 

I would love to find a NIB Coors, I have a chassis in nice state, but no wheels for it... If you don't plan to use them, please let me know :)

Just now, silvertriple said:

I would love to find a NIB Coors, I have a chassis in nice state, but no wheels for it... If you don't plan to use them, please let me know :)

Yup, if I can't find a use for them I'd gladly part with them!

Deal closed on the Coors, so with some luck the post'll get it here some time next week. 

• Like 1

Uneventful day, but I did pop this on youtube. This was the day sand ingestion wrecked the TD gearbox, so it was a bit of a fail lol. All patched up and better sealed, now, though, so there should be more soon!

• Like 3