Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@Nikko85yes, that's nice. Similar to the QD one I mentioned the other day but actually think the one you posted is better.

Yes. I'll wait till I can snap one up cheap and see how it goes. An MF01x JP jeep would look pretty awesome.

More like, What am I doing today?

I'm converting one of my spent disposable vapes into a smoke generator for my drift build.

It's a really simple design which makes it that much easier to do. No microcontrollers on board to figure out. (Well, there is most likely one on the airflow switch board to handle low voltage cutoff, but that won't be an issue as it'll be powered from the Rx. I haven't yet encountered a timer for cutoff so I'm not sure it has one.) It's built like; Mouthpiece>coil assembly>battery>airflow switch.

So I'll need a couple servo leads, reed switch, 20mm fan, resistor to drop 6v down to 4v, and to design a few 3D printed parts (fan mount, switch and servo mount, and a mount for the whole assembly).

Run just the power leads from a spare Rx port, omit the battery, put the reed switch inline on the positive before the fan, resistor after the fan to drop down the voltage for the coil to operate almost continuously, Tie in the servo lead to the ESC, position the reed switch and servo to activate above 75% throttle, put the airflow switch between the coil and fan, mount everything and run a couple tiny air tubes to the rear wheels.

Will probably add a diode so nothing can reverse back to the ESC or RX.

And then it looks like you're actually burning rubber while drifting.

Next up I'll be looking at making one of the backfire generators. Inherently more dangerous when messing with spark and fuel though, so that one will take a little extra engineering.

-RC Perspective

• Like 8

@RC Perspective an interesting idea indeed!  I don't smoke or vape (even though Subie fan*.. lol) so no access, but reminds me of an old Grand Tour episode where James May heads to some midnight street car rubber burning event in South Africa.  :lol:

*IMG_2022-3-19-183439.jpg.f6fd20879bf5601e20d5db77adfdc078.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RC Perspective said:

More like, What am I doing today?

I'm converting one of my spent disposable vapes into a smoke generator for my drift build.

It's a really simple design which makes it that much easier to do. No microcontrollers on board to figure out. (Well, there is most likely one on the airflow switch board to handle low voltage cutoff, but that won't be an issue as it'll be powered from the Rx. I haven't yet encountered a timer for cutoff so I'm not sure it has one.) It's built like; Mouthpiece>coil assembly>battery>airflow switch.

So I'll need a couple servo leads, reed switch, 20mm fan, resistor to drop 6v down to 4v, and to design a few 3D printed parts (fan mount, switch and servo mount, and a mount for the whole assembly).

Run just the power leads from a spare Rx port, omit the battery, put the reed switch inline on the positive before the fan, resistor after the fan to drop down the voltage for the coil to operate almost continuously, Tie in the servo lead to the ESC, position the reed switch and servo to activate above 75% throttle, put the airflow switch between the coil and fan, mount everything and run a couple tiny air tubes to the rear wheels.

Will probably add a diode so nothing can reverse back to the ESC or RX.

And then it looks like you're actually burning rubber while drifting.

Next up I'll be looking at making one of the backfire generators. Inherently more dangerous when messing with spark and fuel though, so that one will take a little extra engineering.

-RC Perspective

Wow.  Please have a build page for this project

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Wow.  Please have a build page for this project

Of course! I still gotta buy a few things, but the drawing board portion is complete. Since this will be going in the drift build, I'll most likely post it in that thread. But I'll update here once it's finally posted.

19 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@RC Perspective an interesting idea indeed!  I don't smoke or vape (even though Subie fan*.. lol) so no access, but reminds me of an old Grand Tour episode where James May heads to some midnight street car rubber burning event in South Africa.  :lol:

*IMG_2022-3-19-183439.jpg.f6fd20879bf5601e20d5db77adfdc078.jpg

Burning rubber is always fun! Unless it's tires in a bonfire; big no-no.

I'm slowly weening myself off the nicotine as I've used vapes to quit smoking cigarettes.

This all started when I started recharging the batteries and adding zero nicotine e-juice to the cotton in my disposable vapes. Don't feel like spending more money on them as the ones I like don't come in zero nicotine. Once I opened up the first one, I saw how easy it would be to convert into a smoke generator. Also the vapor output on the smoke generators you can buy for RC are lackluster at best; a trickle of vapor is cool for the exhaust pipe, but I want rolling smoke :lol:

-RC Perspective

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@RC Perspective I like your out of the box thinking.  It's really these unique ideas and designs that truely add new colors to our hobby. 

Imagine someone releasing that as an April Fools joke at a race event?  Everyone behind your car crashes due to no visibility.  :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@RC Perspective I like your out of the box thinking.  It's really these unique ideas and designs that truely add new colors to our hobby. 

Imagine someone releasing that as an April Fools joke at a race event?  Everyone behind your crashes due to no visibility.  :lol:

That sounds like fun :lol:

I always try to push the envelope when I can. These types of smoke generators are available, but look far more complex than they need to be.

But we all know that going from the drawing board to execution, there are issues sure to arise.

I'm looking to mount the vapor tubes in front of the rear wheels to make it look more authentic, instead of smoke just coming out the back like the ones in YT videos.

As my name says; I like to make the RC's look as realistic as possible. It's all in the perspective.

-RC Perspective

• Like 1

So, I have ADHD, in case you haven't noticed.

Awhile back when I was putting together the drift build, I figured I'd add an external cap pack because of the amount of LED's I was going to use. In hindsight, it was a bad idea. Cause when I flipped the switch to turn off the TBLE-04S, it was followed by a pop and that burnt electronics smell. <_<

Fast forward to today; I took a closer look with my 10x lens to see what the damage was. Under the FET's, where the power plane goes from the red wire to the rest of the power plane, It blew a 2mm section clean off. 

So me, not willing to accept defeat, I took a piece of solder wick and some flux, and soldered it across the break on the power plane after cleaning it all up.

Success. I've brought life back into my second TBLE-04S, and can now put it back in my drift build!

Unfortunately, the TBLE-04S is unable to handle a 13.5T motor and a servo, unless I turn the timing all the way down on the motor.

What is the next tier up sensored ESC that can handle a 13.5T brushless? Doesn't have to be a Tamiya ESC. I'm looking for a cheaper option that others have had success with.

-RC Perspective

• Like 4

Didn’t feel like building my Optima MID yet so decided to make more accessories for Billy’s lounge.  :D :ph34r:

IMG_2022-7-18-135444.jpg.e5da077c9cdfb5cb4d0e1a1373f233b7.jpg

IMG_2022-7-18-160604.jpg.6fa0c09295006e775e9c8a4b82444da2.jpg

Final update for today..  :D 

IMG_2022-7-18-181652.jpg.40aa7139f06b915afef11d6aed5e3e2d.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

Today ive built a Sand Scorcher shell that will be getting an Afrika Korps inspired paintjob later on, its going on the 4wd i posted a pic of the other day.

6 hours ago, RC Perspective said:

vapes into a smoke generator

That will be fun for sure :)

I made this vid a while back for some people i was talking to about smoke effects for gaming miniatures and dioramas, figured i might put it up here as well since it might give people ideas, love to see how your project goes :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNOWO054f0s

• Like 3

I started organising my collection…

Luke

089B3426-9E90-4314-81E7-46A61E9A04CE.jpeg

• Like 6

Quick question, how to get glossy tires?  Can I use regular automotive tire protection on RC car tires? 

37 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Quick question, how to get glossy tires?  Can I use regular automotive tire protection on RC car tires? 

You can.  I use a product called Aerospace303.  It is water based and can be diluted with water if desired to control the gloss.  It's not shiny if diluted, more a clean natural black.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

You can.  I use a product called Aerospace303.  It is water based and can be diluted with water if desired to control the gloss.  It's not shiny if diluted, more a clean natural black.  

Thanks. Is that the same a silicone lubricant?   Is there a generic name for Aerospace303?

16 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Thanks. Is that the same a silicone lubricant?   Is there a generic name for Aerospace303?

It's not a silicon based product, it is water based as for me, I do not want to apply product that might have weird chemistry with the tires.   It's good enough for my $350 Michelin SuperSports :blink: on my GR Supra, I think okay for RC tires.  :D

Actually it's 303 Aerospace.. I use it on my RC tire sidewalls where needed.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

It's not a silicon based product, it is water based as for me, I do not want to apply product that might have weird chemistry with the tires.   It's good enough for my $350 Michelin SuperSports :blink: on my GR Supra, I think okay for RC tires.  :D

Actually it's 303 Aerospace.. I use it on my RC tire sidewalls where needed.  

Thanks will give it a try

• Like 1

Postal race preparation on the TS today as the 1/8 HPI Nitro Scooby wheels arrived, and some stickers got applied too.

2E008611-B101-45D0-848F-F246ADBCA2ED.jpg

BCA79B9D-8A08-4B0B-8AD5-57CE99EFCD48.jpg

EA9D1DCF-4340-49AE-B7C3-3AA13EDA021F.md.

• Like 9

Been working on this 3D printed chassis. Started off as a design by DukeDoks but I've redesigned the rear end to run a belt drive using GT2 pulleys that you use on CNC machines and 3D printers, and created a suspension setup for the front. Just waiting on a body coming for it and I need to print the wheels I've designed too.
At some point I'm going to try and build a swingarm style suspension into the rear as well.

IMG_20220719_143803.thumb.jpg.43669a95fc0d45cfc5991fbc135ffa65.jpg

• Like 7

Nothing exciting - I organised bearings for the GF01 and WR02 kits, and drove the Kyosho Jimny around inside on my home made obstacles. With the temperature in Melbourne hovering just above 0°C, it was an inside kind of evening...  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Nothing exciting - I organised bearings for the GF01 and WR02 kits, and drove the Kyosho Jimny around inside on my home made obstacles. With the temperature in Melbourne hovering just above 0°C, it was an inside kind of evening...  

That’s amazing.Melbourne 0 degrees and the UK recorded its highest ever temp of over 40 degrees!!!! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

This morning we had to scrape ice off the windscreen for the first time ever in Oz!

52228876954_cf6bb477fe_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeeWings said:

This morning we had to scrape ice off the windscreen for the first time ever in Oz!

52228876954_cf6bb477fe_b.jpg

Please send us the ice.

Yours 

England

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My "no more cars" lasted a whole week. I think I'm going to change my policy to "no more new cars" and "only work on weekends or evenings"

Anyway, after surviving a week of utter exhaustion, I thought I'd treat myself. :D

I just picked up a QD manta ray in pieces. My aim is to make a Monster Racer using a shell I've got. It'll then match this one

ze0NAfK.jpg

Where as the QD King Cab was brushless, this will be brushed with a 370 motor. The Red Manta Wheels should work well, as should the original tires. The main job will be shortening the chassis a little, as the QD is much too long for these scale of bodies. Should work out quite nicely. If that body fails, I will try and use the chassis to make a JP style Jeep 2WD using larger wheels and the lower gear to make a mini monster truck.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

ze0NAfK.jpg

This is still on my all time favourites. I recently purchased a Taiyo Jet Bandit but when it arrives I realised it was the micro version 😤 sold it on again this week.

I will keep looking but every time they appear they are silly money. 

• Like 1