Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

LA is 'Local Authority' (Local Government, the Council for a specific area).

So what exactly was your proposal for the BMX track? That one should be included in the park? Or there's one already included in the design that should be designed in a certain way perhaps?

The whole site plan shows a small BMX track - I've zoomed in to show it clearer. I wanted to discuss the plan for that, because I'm concerned they'll use asphalt, not dirt, and obviously a loop isn't the most exciting layout.

1331904904_Fullscreencapture3007202235529PM.thumb.jpg.5d9b42d0cab83306e9ead3c5dfda6229.jpg

1512216499_Fullscreencapture3007202235546PM.thumb.jpg.64f8192d98f366f8af04cff261810d6f.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kol__ said:

How do you get tyres made from the 3D artwork mate? 3D printing parts in plastic I get, but are there places that will make rubber tyres from your designs?

Each problem at a time :)

That said, there is various possibilities I can think of

- 3D printing first : TPU with FDM printer (filament), TPU with MJF printing process (online services), TPU Foaming Varioshore (filament), Rubber Resin with a SLA Printer

- use the model to create a mould, used to for molded injection process

I can explore the 3D printing side. For the second one, I'll contact some people to see if it is a possibility...

Wanted to be sure I can derive the other side from the first one, and it works.
aTf1ei9.jpg

Now the next step is really to focus on the way to get the right profile. And eventually to get the BIG BEAR markings on the side :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Aerobert Sorry to hear about your injury.   Hope you're fixed up soon.  Car looks good.  :D 

I fell off my staircase last year ended up with a couple of deep bruises smashing head first into my wife's bookcase up side down like an idiot.  :lol:    Old age catching up to me.. stupidity was always there.  

Thank you. It's already getting better. Stupidity was definitely the main reason for my accident but there are some things I will never learn I guess. :lol:

• Haha 1

@lsear2905 Have you ever read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The beginning of your post reminded me of how Arthur Dent finds out that his house is to be demolished.

Well done on persevering, if you could get it agreed that RCs could be used (which, if I recall correctly is your intention), that would be cool. We have a small BMX track not far from us but RCs are banned. Fortunately, it is right next to a big field!

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

@lsear2905 Have you ever read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? The beginning of your post reminded me of how Arthur Dent finds out that his house is to be demolished.

Well done on persevering, if you could get it agreed that RCs could be used (which, if I recall correctly is your intention), that would be cool. We have a small BMX track not far from us but RCs are banned. Fortunately, it is right next to a big field!

HHGTTG is the only series of books I've read, then re-read again and again, then read to my kids, have the BBC version on DVD, and I've even endured the movie a couple of times!

I've been very clear the track is for RC as well as BMX, that's for sure!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silvertriple said:

And eventually to get the BIG BEAR markings on the side :)

When you get to this point, extrude the logos flat into the tyre as a new body, and then under the surface tab use the offset command to project an offset copy of the tyre face at the distance you want the logo to stick out. Then use that surface with the split body tool and then delete the excess new body that's created, and it will give you a logo that follows the rounded shape of the tyre.

24 minutes ago, Mark_McQ said:

When you get to this point, extrude the logos flat into the tyre as a new body, and then under the surface tab use the offset command to project an offset copy of the tyre face at the distance you want the logo to stick out. Then use that surface with the split body tool and then delete the excess new body that's created, and it will give you a logo that follows the rounded shape of the tyre.

That was the plan :-).

(you may not have followed, but I'm no longer a beginner in the matter :-)

G3atxwy.jpg

zVKucZk.jpg

:-) )

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Sorry, what is LA an abbreviation of? Also, I am particularly persistent (some might say stubborn) so I'm not giving up on this.

Sorry, I thought you are Britain based (Council meeting) but when I saw the plans and realised that you are AU based. Glad to see that the situation with useless public employees there is the same as here in the motherland. 

(joke!) 

• Haha 1

Took the comical hopper out for its first real drive today. 

zxfcczY.jpg

QpbUUdz.jpg

• Like 4

All ‘honeydo’s’ today and a new tumble dryer as our current one has finally given up after 20+ years of hard slog 👏

Hoping to buy a 4WD Tamiya buggy soon for our trip to Wales next month 👍

Thank you @Kol__ for keeping your eyes peeled as well 😎

• Like 3

No RC building activities for me today.. however, I was checking out a couple of 45th Annivarsary Porsche videos on YouTube to see if I'd be interested enough to pay premium price for one before they're all gone..  before I was able to make any kind of decision, I was distracted by how awful folks were cutting the wheel arches on their bodies.. I mean this is a special edition concourse car, why are they not cut perfectly round, sanded, and positioned perfectly with the wheel base?!    :wacko: 

I feel ill now.. :blink:   

I guess we're just spoiled seeing excellence everyday here on TC.. :D   I feel so much better now thanks to @jimboooo24

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=138581&id=59800

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@YelloMello Looks good!  Congrats on the finish!!

Thx alot. I am a great fan of your work. So, this means much to me  😃👌

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately my birthday present (lotus europa) didn't turn up Friday. It left the city it came from, then after 2 days went back to city it came from and got resent, and went to a city 60ks from me. It was going to be driven by truck to my city overnight and the call centre told me to ring back Saturday morning and I should be able to pick it up. Rang Saturday morning and a different lady told me it's on a pallet and everyone had gone home (this is at 9am). 😒

So I went to my LHS (couldn't stay long because of back pain), and put an Arrma Mojave on layby 🤷 

• Sad 3

It's kinda crazy to think that the body used in these special editions doesn't even line up properly without a modification to the chassis @Willy iine

I've got a 45th (missed out on the 1st batch in the UK but then got lucky) but I'll need a lot more practice at cutting out bodies before I risk it. I'll want somewhere to display it too - it will be my only 'shelfer'.

• Like 1

@berman sorry to hear the back is still bad and that your birthday plan was scuppered. No fun at all.

On the plus side that Mojave looks seriously good. I’ve not really seriously contemplated much beyond Tamiya since returning to the hobby but these modern cars are something else.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

It's kinda crazy to think that the body used in these special editions doesn't even line up properly without a modification to the chassis @Willy iine

I've got a 45th (missed out on the 1st batch in the UK but then got lucky) but I'll need a lot more practice at cutting out bodies before I risk it. I'll want somewhere to display it too - it will be my only 'shelfer'.

Yeah, one of the YouTubers mentioned that issue on these 45th's and I would have to see it in person to make any judgement.  I suppose it is a valid(?) convenient(?) excuse not being able to line up the wheel arches perfectly, but why stop there?  It's a beautiful body, should aim for perfection.  Not that I am mocking anyone (and not meant to offend anyone), but I believe there is always a way to fix these issues if one puts their mind to it.  :D 

Plus it's a clear body; one can see right through the body where the sidewalls would line up during the test fit.. I would aim my circle cutter, adjust radius, and walla. :lol:  Then use my curved scissors and blend any unnatural radius to the body.   I donno, I can't see it being that difficult to do, but again, I would have to see it in person.

@berman Happy Birthday!!  Sorry to hear your present did not arrive in time.  Hope you get it soon.  

32 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@berman sorry to hear the back is still bad and that your birthday plan was scuppered. No fun at all.

On the plus side that Mojave looks seriously good. I’ve not really seriously contemplated much beyond Tamiya since returning to the hobby but these modern cars are something else.

Cheers @GeeWings Yeah but with the current climate I guess I can't complain much, people make mistakes, but it was my sole plan (organised taking my birthday off before the injury) to build something.

Yeah I've wanted one for ages, either this or a Losi Super Baja Rey (1/6 scale). Now that I'm a single lad, I can do as I please and don't have to ask for permission. 😄

28 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@berman Happy Birthday!!  Sorry to hear your present did not arrive in time.  Hope you get it soon.  

Thank you @Willy iine, much appreciated. Should be hear tomorrow morning (its midday Sunday here), and highly unlikely I will be in work tomorrow anyway.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday @berman, enjoy the Lotus when it comes and take your mind off the back🍻

I think you should challenge yourself to building the chassis blindfolded, I think you could with your M chassis experience 😉

• Haha 1

@Badcrumble for the 45th Porsche, do you know whether the Tamiya’s CF chassis set is compatible?  Just wondering as the CF set does not show wheelbase length..(?) and want to make sure it works with the short wheelbase on the 45th..  TIA

@Willy iine, have a read of this about options on sorting the 934 chassis, the Maxspeed chassis plates are probably best. I did the mod of slicing the swing arms and adding spacers for my Jäegermeister but has always felt a bit of a bodge. As a runner it’s fine though 😉

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Happy Birthday @berman, enjoy the Lotus when it comes and take your mind off the back🍻

I think you should challenge yourself to building the chassis blindfolded, I think you could with your M chassis experience 😉

Cheers @Re-Bugged, I will lay out my tools tonight in anticipation.

ODSNriO.jpeg

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Happy birthday @berman 😎

Cheers Si, much appreciated mate 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, berman said:

Cheers @Re-Bugged, I will lay out my tools tonight in anticipation.

ODSNriO.jpeg

Cheers Si, much appreciated mate 😎

Pleasure good to see your dipping back into TC. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:34 AM, lsear2905 said:

So a small update:

Firstly, this is the first time (at the age of 43) that I have actually gone to a council meeting. I am the kind of person that will constantly communicate with the council (or anyone else) to submit my feedback or ideas, but I've never felt the need to actually attend in person. For those of you familiar with how poorly local government is run, prepare to not be amazed.

I arrived at 5.55 (for a 6pm start), only to find out that the council had moved the location of the meeting, but not updated the website. Luckily there was a guy there (not associate with the council) who explained they'd moved the meeting to the council offices, a few minutes down the road. I got there at 6, and the place looked closed... I pressed a big red button next to the doors a few times, someone let me in and I made my way down a rabbit warren of corridors to find the meeting room. There were 2 young guys there from the company designing the skate park, and no-one else. They asked if I skated or rode BMX, I explained neither, I was here about the BMX track shown on the design. They looked at each other sheepishly and explained that they were just in charge of the skate park, nothing else, but they could pass on my feedback to the company in charge of the entire development. At this stage someone from the council arrived (who I would later discover is the Manager of Major Initiatives for the council) who, having realised the council's mistake, sent an underling to round up anyone at the other location. This meant the meeting didn't start properly until almost 6.30. 

The meeting? 90 minutes of a dozen grumpy skaters (almost all in their 40's and 50's) complaining that they didn't want "their" bowl altered, complaining about lines, angles, and all sorts of other skating terms while I sat there (fairly) patiently. I could tell the designers and council members were getting frustrated, but all credit to them for not just telling these blithering idiots to be grateful - the current skate park is in poor condition, a massive liability hazard and the council is willing to spend huge sums of money putting in an entirely new park for them! Finally the 2 designers split the skaters into 2 groups, working with them on some of the finer points of the design, and I seized my moment: I sat down with the lady from the council, found some common ground (she had tried to take her young daughter to the only remaining BMX facility in Knox recently, only to find it locked up and not available for use by the public) and ran through my proposal, did a bit of brown-nosing and finally left at about 8.30.

I even followed up with an email to the council member the following day thanking her for her time, etc... anything to make a good impression. Even if it does happen, I suspect there'll be a lot more work involved and it won't be built for another year or so, anyway.

TL:DR; a whole lot of talking for minimal result, if any.

In other news, 2 servos arrived - I'm slowly stockpiling parts for if/when I finally build my GF01 and WR02.

It's a council in Australia - the way to get them to do what you want is to turn up at meetings with a brown paper bag stuffed full of $100 notes. Too easy (as they say).

• Haha 2