Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Looks like you got a nice injection of hope for a job well done, @naturbo2000.   Now you can relax and take your vacation trip..?  Or are you planning to do the decals today/tomorrow?  

Turned out to have just enough hope. First full body I've done since 92. I'm not counting the sidepods on the Super Madtute.

I've got time to do the decals before we leave @Willy iine, as we're home through Saturday evening.

It's mighty tempting to throw decals at it this evening, but I'll resist and give the paint plenty of time.

Next photo might have to be of the car on a pit stand. Pink wheels are not part of my plans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

Turned out to have just enough hope. First full body I've done since 92. I'm not counting the sidepods on the Super Madtute.

I've got time to do the decals before we leave @Willy iine, as we're home through Saturday evening.

It's mighty tempting to throw decals at it this evening, but I'll resist and give the paint plenty of time.

Next photo might have to be of the car on a pit stand. Pink wheels are not part of my plans.

Sounds good!  Hey sounds like you have plenty of time to finish the car.  

Yeah, I'm puzzled by the pink wheel choice as well, but that's just me talking.  Are you going to paint them or just get some Egress black wheels?  

The gray Egress Black Edition wheels are kind of ikky too imho..looks cheap to me.  I will probably paint them gunmetal when I get that kit.

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I'm puzzled by the pink wheel choice as well, but that's just me talking.  Are you going to paint them or just get some Egress black wheels?  

The gray Egress Black Edition wheels are kind of ikky too imho..looks cheap to me.  I will probably paint them gunmetal when I get that kit.

I know they're pink to match the Mini 4WD version of the Avante Black Special.

For me, I don't actually care for that version, but instead an making what I think Tamiya should have done as a Black Edition. Updated original decals and Cam-Loc wheels.

I'm starting from a Black Special, mostly for the hop-ups.

18 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

I know they're pink to match the Mini 4WD version of the Avante Black Special.

For me, I don't actually care for that version, but instead an making what I think Tamiya should have done as a Black Edition. Updated original decals and Cam-Loc wheels.

I'm starting from a Black Special, mostly for the hop-ups.

Yeah, I did notice they were going for the Mini-Yonku look..  

For the black Egress, I’m going to build it per spec, but will add an Avante driver inside.  That was kind of the mistake for me when I did box art on my Egress.. I wanted a driver inside after painting per instructions.  So from there, I made sure all my buggies had a driver inside.  :D 

IMG_2022-3-2-084738.thumb.jpg.8d9794d99baf4bd1f56eac45272b6e68.jpg

• Like 5

It is a local holiday today so managed to get some painting done in the daytime. 

pxtWHmX.jpg

There are some bleeding, details in the build thread. 

Finished my SMT10 build. This is probably the last time it'll be this clean and the body still totally intact.

Smtside.thumb.jpg.b888b2cafe483ca0a46d78807d20f453.jpg

Smtfront.thumb.jpg.b3d2c97fc8cf0a9f1cd8ba18510c40d2.jpg

• Like 5

I finished the shop creeper for Willy’s shop.  Please check it out in the gallery-only thread if interested.    B)

So tomorrow I will start the stanchions.  I’m going to need my wife’s help to make the rope.. will probably use real velvet for that extra niceness.. whatever that means.  (if things go south I can conveniently blame my wife.  :lol:).. :ph34r:

On 8/11/2022 at 7:02 AM, Busdriver said:

I’ve actually already changed the wheels by painting them Aluminium. The blue just didn’t work for me. Might get the stickers done tomorrow. Did you back the camel yellow? I used white.

Oh fair enough. I almost always back with silver and then black unless I and trying to manipulate the colour brighter or darker. You doing yours in white makes sense why yours appears lighter.

17 hours ago, Ziddan said:

Yes and no.

Parts printed using a FDM printer (which is sort of like a robotized glue gun, squirting out lines of plastic to build up the layers that will eventually be the model) will have noticeable layer lines that need to filler primed and sanded to get a smooth surface finish.

Parts printed on a resin printer (which exposes a thin UV reactive layer of resin between the build plate and a screen, building the model up using voxels, think really small scale Minecraft) most of the time are fine with just priming as the voxels, even on a relatively old home user resin printer, are just shy of 0,05mm cubes.

There are cases where resin prints can show more striations and that is down to gradients of angle due to how the process works.

Here is a simple illustration:

image.png.2df89b588ab195f812c07b446280dc53.png

Where the angle is close to vertical or horizontal you get longer striations/steps due to how image processing works, home resin printers mostly use screens to mask off where the resin should be exposed so this kind of stepping will happen unless the part is oriented in a such a way as to minimize it. 

Newer printers have higher resolution screens/smaller voxels so it is less noticeable and there is antialiasing which induces a bit of blur to the step, also helping to smooth it but it is still visible sometimes where the angles are "right".

Layer striations are similar on FDM printers due to how "slicing", as it is called works, the model is sliced into the layers that will be laid down to make the model. Smaller layers heights result in more smaller lines and it is most visible when close to horizontal, on the tops/bottoms where the layers get larger/smaller quickly, like on top of spheres etc.

Services like shapeways have printers that are much higher quality by using a laser sintering process but i have no experience with parts coming off those or their resolution/limits.

Wow thank you for the in depth description. It's always good to learn how things work. Now I have a better idea of the process and types or printer and printing. 🙂

I went to my hobby shop yesterday to get some primer for the above parts, unfortunately they are all out of Tamiyas grey or white primers, so the 3d parts will have to wait.

They did get a big kyosho order in, so there is Mad Van's, Scorpions, Turbo Scorpions, Beetles, Tomahawks, and the VERY COOL new Kyosho KPGC10 Skyline, which I got to swoon over!

I would've been tempted by any of the above, but I have a Arrma Mojave that I'm paying off sitting there.

I did grab these for my Lotus Europa, it was missing one oil bottle so got it even cheaper than normal 😁 So installed those last night.

Xi2Or8u.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 2:59 AM, Busdriver said:

I went with the Camel yellow but added a twist. Kinda GT40 EBA1DEE8-289A-4D10-8E59-BA2B44C25526.jpg
89A8A444-0BA0-49C3-900C-79DF6CB7D153.jpg Still got the stickers to do. Wheels are same colour as the blue stripe which is painted on the inside. The white is trimline pin stripe 

Quoted your pic because I decided to take an outside pic with the big yellow thing reflecting off it. Might give a better idea of how mine turned out. Will do the shut lines hopefully tonight.

SehF46n.jpeg

• Like 3

GT3B “Hand Scorcher”

xWeSK4y.jpg

GT3B “Hand Blaster Jr”

sRtsaNB.jpg

GT3B “Ultra Grip 1400”

SghGn11.jpg

GT3B “Duratrax Matrix”

QvmD28B.jpg

GT3B “Gold Prolines with Proline Mini-T Hole Shots”

lxqonZf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Once again... spent the last four days and four nights in complete agony. It started with what felt just like a bad draft on my upper back, but evolved into more and more pain. After a visit to a physio and one to a doctor, both quite worthless, I am now on the heaviest painkillers I've ever taken in my entire life... and to no avail! The burning dagger I feel stuck in my shoulder blade is there 24 hrs a day, driving me crazy (I "slept" about 3 hrs in the past 96). Public healtchare is full, waiting times are forever, private clinics are also hard to get to and horrendously expensive -though it looks like I'll have to cave in tomorrow morning, since I can no longer fuction or even think straight. Having quite some second thoughts about immigrating to this neck of the woods right now... 😑 excuse the rant folks, but hey, if I add this to the tooth thing I've been through less than two months ago it's starting to feel like some divine punishment... but I'm not superstitious so no way :P hopefully my frustration will soon turn into auto-healing power or something of the sort, also because a good part of my family came here to visit on Monday and I haven't seen them since they landed, which feels like the worst part of it all🤬

On anothe note, it's always fascinating just how far out the human mind can roam when it comes to extreme circustances, such as pain, sickness or sleep deprivation.  I wouldn't wish this to my worst enemy if I had one, but wow the random streams of consciousness I'm going through (and yeah, the meds 🤪🤯).

There's a silver lining, though: before becoming too compromised to do anything of the sort, I managed to follow through with sorting out the electronics for my Mid and I finally clicked on some "buy" buttons. Motor, ESC, servo, undertray and driver figure are now on their way! Some last few things to figure out, and I'll be ready to start the build. (crossing fingers I didn't order some cheapo 1/16 scale china bling combo for crawlers I don't even have... :ph34r:😅)

Thanks for the time and space, being able to randomly vent a little sometimes just makes this place even more special!

Will now try to look at the latest news on this thread while writhing on the floor between spasms 🤕

• Sad 10

@Ferruz wow, hang in there!  :blink:  Look forward to the fun times with your MID coming real soon. 

Hope you get better soon!  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, berman said:

Quoted your pic because I decided to take an outside pic with the big yellow thing reflecting off it. Might give a better idea of how mine turned out. Will do the shut lines hopefully tonight.

SehF46n.jpeg

Have to say my photography is terrible. Taken from the wrong angle in the wrong light and too close!!! Yours looks really good in the great outdoors.I need to have a go at shutlines!!! Bought the tape but just never seem to do them. I think this body will benefit from them, even the sticker set has some built in, . Not sure what I’ll get done in the next few days. It’s just too hot for modelling at the moment.

• Like 1

Completed my GF-01 widetrack chassis and ran it in the garden for the first time. Crikey RC cars are a lot faster than I remember them as a kid. The widetrack tweak means no worries of rolling on tight corners. I learnt that trying to steer whilst wheelieing doesnt do a whole lot :) I immediately reverted to about 10 years old and the missus, who came out to see, was squealing with excitement as it shot off too :)

Next job is on to painting the body. Nothing too fancy for my first attempt I think and I may delay until its not quite so hot outside.

Thanks very much to everyone who has answered all my questions and helped me get this far.

gf01Chassis.JPG

• Like 2

Today I decided to work on my project and visualise a bit, to imagine how it will look in reality.  First posted it in my project's topic. But wanted to duplicate it here

Isn't duplication forbidden by the forum rules? :ph34r:

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SimTechRC said:

Today I decided to work on my project and visualise a bit, to imagine how it will look in reality.  First posted it in my project's topic. But wanted to duplicate it here

Isn't duplication forbidden by the forum rules? :ph34r:

Wow!!  Now you see, that is talent!  Great job!  :D 

• Thanks 1

Managed to progress a bit further with this, adding the panel lines between meetings. Just need to paint the cockpit. 

aJcOKpH.jpg

NvjlBRa.jpg

KxLYgEU.jpg

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Wow!!  Now you see, that is talent!  Great job!

Thank you)

I really want to print this project, transfer it to plastic and try to drive it. But have to finish many small details before

Can't wait :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobyone said:

Managed to progress a bit further with this, adding the panel lines between meetings. Just need to paint the cockpit. 

aJcOKpH.jpg

NvjlBRa.jpg

KxLYgEU.jpg

Looks great! What chassis do you use?

Discharging my 3S battery to storage charge as it is too hot to take the truck out. What a waste of energy. :(

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Discharging my 3S battery to storage charge as it is too hot to take the truck out. What a waste of energy. :(

Last days same problem. When we move on to batteries, that will not need to be storaged, but have similar specs to lipo with weight, size and discharge rate...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SimTechRC said:

Looks great! What chassis do you use?

@SimTechRC Thanks.

FF01, previous Ebay purchase. Its in really good condition after a wash and rebuild.

E5eAGng.jpgFxba0rg.jpg

• Like 2

Took the old TT-01(Ra) out for a stress test on a very wet field. Handling felt a bit strange after a while, well... 

9OEc8ZU.jpg

Got to call it a day as while I have spare wheels and tools in the box, they are road wheels... 

GpR94x3.jpg

• Sad 4

So I am making the stanchion post bases and thought it would be a good opportunity to try the ball tip iron on my adjustable temperature soldering iron.. 

:ph34r:..

For me, my let’s-burn-my-thumb-while-shaping technique using my heat gun worked the best..  (ones on the bottom left).  :ph34r: :lol:

IMG_2022-8-12-122339.jpg.8d427918a7c7e1545e52121a710ed024.jpg

Update.. just need to make 3 more.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-8-12-155004.jpg.4062f5e94fb4d5cea8ff48ba1f5e3a90.jpg

Final update for today.. 

Will finish tomorrow.. my wife is making me custom red velvet ropes maybe next week.   :D 

IMG_2022-8-12-175104.jpg.09c76688d5651957e2e5e57f182bfa6d.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I applied most of the decals for my Avante Black Edition (nee Special).

y4mVjM83waO8uSUAl-fdrMSORgGtdAn-gScTRnEy

y4m5vN3vmiqRiFjETfOcZHajyhdgG5hf8HaPzj4W

y4m5Vy6WiCy8FtlQ4DOJNuO-a8PpngAzadSbfdXM

Not quite ready for the gallery as I've got to attend to Perry, swap the wheels for Cam Locs and take photos outside for the full pearlescent bling.

• Like 8