Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Interesting build and thanks for sharing.   Not familiar with this brand. Plastics look much better than general Tamiya cars other than the TRF series.  Mixed on the factory body design.  May be time to try a non-Tamiya build

15 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Ops replied to you on the build thread so not to clutter this one up. 

11 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

Good hope! Looks like my Dad's one (minus a vice, hint hint).

Hopeless.. :ph34r:   

IMG_2022-8-13-233723.jpg.8adbf018aec6b207eafc2b1ea93b6e70.jpg

Hope injected.. 

IMG_2022-8-13-233739.jpg.24782396ddb0f9e0695c251dfc86b1c3.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Hope injected.. 

My word @Willy iine, that's amazing! That's a whole lot of skill right there. I'm not convinced hope has much to do with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Hope injected.. 

My word @Willy iine, that's amazing! That's a whole lot of skill right there. I'm not convinced hope has much to do with it.

4 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Got a sneak peek of the Golf Group 2 body.

golf.PNG

That looks badass Jeff! Is it the box art design layout with different colours yeah?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, naturbo2000 said:

Yes!😎 That does look brilliant @Willy iine! It would look great in a light metallic blue, that seems to be a classic colour for a vice, my 1:1 is the same. And let's keep the habit of self-deprecation to a minimum please, not a particularly attractive quality and clearly quite unnecessary in relation to your craftsmanship!;)👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So I couldn't resist this GRC side tool case accessory when I saw it, I just had to order a pair for each side and installed them. Looks good in my opinion.

DiCSV85h.jpg

BRREqdth.jpg

NIPQQF2h.jpg

NWU0UJUh.jpg

OiCH7H5h.jpg

ax7cpBNh.jpg

8fZSflch.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

That looks badass Jeff! Is it the box art design layout with different colours yeah?

Yeah it is, based off my Haro Master. 

:-)

4876D6FA-EA93-4EDD-A113-1F42F1DA5CB4.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Yes!😎 That does look brilliant @Willy iine! It would look great in a light metallic blue, that seems to be a classic colour for a vice, my 1:1 is the same. And let's keep the habit of self-deprecation to a minimum please, not a particularly attractive quality and clearly quite unnecessary in relation to your craftsmanship!;)👍

Thanks man..l was thinking red or blue.. I have the mica (?) blue TS from my SandScorcher which is metallic so I'll probably go with that.   My 1:1 vices are also blue as well.  Thanks for the feedback.  

I have to say, life is 50% skill and 50% luck.  I think I just got lucky that I was able to use my soap carving skills acquired from my elementary school art class.. :ph34r: .. :lol:  hahahaha. jk, sorry, I just don't think I am that good.  Folks that are serious into styrene projects and miniatures are at a completely different level.   I'm not going to kid myself.  

If there is a trick I learned, it is similar to how an artist draws abstracts or mixes audio recordings.  Not everything needs to be perfect, but the focal point must be dynamic and interesting.  If one can capture that, then the rest doesn't even need to be all that precise.   So where I lack, I rely on that knowledge since I am also a musician and have had my own compositions and  recordings aired on commercial FM radio station back 25+ years ago (hobby).  I never thought I was all that good at music either..

For the vise, I believe this is the focal point.  As long as I can capture people’s interest here, the rest the viewer error-corrects on their own what they are seeing by imagining a vise they saw in the past.  I guess it’s somewhat a sneaky move.. ?  :D  Also adding metal hardware like the screws gives it extra sparkle and distraction.  And we like positive distraction. 

IMG_2022-8-14-115825.jpg.1f2092b55f6aa7286e0d93d2a28f794a.jpg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

, but the focal point must be dynamic and interesting

^^^ This. All of your styrene projects have it. They are creatively thought out, beautifully executed and fun to watch in the making, which makes for a brilliant final result every single time.  Not that I notice imperfections, but if there ever were any, they would just add value to the piece because, like you said, you always make the focal point interesting. And besides, 100 % good is rare, in every part of life. Look at our dwellings: how many walls are actually straight? How many floors are actually level? (Well that probably doesn't apply to your RC shop since it's so very well thought out :))

Perfection is boring, anyway. It's the little kinks and differences that make something really attractive and outstanding in life -at least I find that this applies to most things.

So I have to agree with @Kol__ in finding your self loathing just a little out of place 😅 whatever floats your boat of course, but no matter how much you belittle your skills, I personally find them incredible and way out of the ordinary, especially because you do everything by hand without the aid of a 3D printer. I absolutely love that, zero offence to the 3d printers, I just admire your little hand made pieces so much cause I was always into making stuff from scratch myself.

So keep it up @Willy iine 😀👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On another note, while the back pain is still preventing me from doing anything at all, I was able to at least follow through with an order that I've been wanting to place for a while. I've heard good stuff about the Kyosho repro tires done by Marwan RC, so I went ahead an ordered four pairs of the OT-66 Bridgestone repros for my Mid. Looking forward to getting them and being able to see the quality for myself!

I believe with this last order I'll have everything I need for my Mid build, exept maybe for some paint. But still very undecided on the color scheme!

• Like 2

Thanks @Ferruz  !!  

You definitely get what I am pulling on my plasticard projects.  :D  Imperfection adds character.   (well also a lame way to accept poor craftsmanship.. haha, jk). 

1 minute ago, Ferruz said:

On another note, while the back pain is still preventing me from doing anything at all, I was able to at least follow through with an order that I've been wanting to place for a while. I've heard good stuff about the Kyosho repro tires done by Marwan RC, so I went ahead an ordered four pairs of the OT-66 Bridgestone repros for my Mid. Looking forward to getting them and being able to see the quality for myself!

I believe with this last order I'll have everything I need for my Mid build, exept maybe for some paint. But still very undecided on the color scheme!

Definitely something to look forward to!!  :D   Hang in there!  

6 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Yeah it is, based off my Haro Master. 

:-)

4876D6FA-EA93-4EDD-A113-1F42F1DA5CB4.jpeg

Love the inspiration @JeffSpicoli. Your post took me down a rabbit hole of those old school skateboard deck designs…Powell Peralta, Caballero…I had forgotten about all the great artwork. I was never any good at skating, but man did I love the skate culture for a fleeting moment in my youth. Thank you for the reminder!

• Like 1

Get well soon @Ferruz! Whilst I have have intermittent back issues, they aren't on the scale of yours, I hope you get some relief soon.

• Thanks 1

For me, finished sanding Willy’s new work bench so going to hit it with some paint along with the stanchion posts I made a few days ago after a quick break. :D 

IMG_2022-8-14-142223.jpg.005f295bdf4a485d8fec9666c52a10bc.jpg

IMG_2022-8-14-142205.jpg.8e463a813c6f554337156d7ae839a135.jpg

IMG_2022-8-14-142215.jpg.4b89ec7e6e3be0734b43cac0d50cb89f.jpg

Update.. finished the workbench.  Posted pictures in the gallery thread.  Please check them out if interested.  :D 

Thanks again @naturbo2000 and @Kol__ for the vice input!  B)

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

Today ive decided that the red (monster) beetle shell i have is going to live on my Sandhopper and use the side body post holes for mounting.

As my Beetlebox had that type of rear body posts ive instead designed a scorcher shell compatible rear body mount for it, the new mount clips onto the motor brace ive made for it but i might be drilling a hole through both printed parts and into the rear tray to further secure it if needed.

image.png.f1d591c241612d238d4923c4c4fc28fe.png

1 hour ago, Room335 said:

Love the inspiration @JeffSpicoli. Your post took me down a rabbit hole of those old school skateboard deck designs…Powell Peralta, Caballero…I had forgotten about all the great artwork. I was never any good at skating, but man did I love the skate culture for a fleeting moment in my youth. Thank you for the reminder!

Me too bro, in my mind it's 1989 right now.  Haha.  I didn't skate but I did too like the culture. My bro Mark runs a skate shop in Milwaukee, Phase 2 Skateshop and he did the Psycho Stick for me.   I told him what parts and colors and he built it up.   If you ever want something like it, just hit him up.  He takes Paypal IIRC and he will ship.  

Those were the best years of my life, 13-18.  My life at the time was so  carefree, Tamiya, BMX freestyle, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and Kathy Ireland posters on my walls.   Hahaha.  Part of me wants to build a hobby room that looks like a vintage 80s living room with all of my stuff in there.

Off Topic:  I built a BINHO board with the same color scheme.  I couldn't help myself.

Photo Aug 12, 6 34 42 PM.jpg

• Like 3

Tried out a new trail in town.  Lots of roots and lots of bugs.  Not much rock crawling, just a good CC trail.  I could only manage half before the bugs got to me.  But it was a nice hour walk through the woods.

BsBIbRq.jpg

• Like 2