Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

So I couldn't resist this GRC side tool case accessory when I saw it, I just had to order a pair for each side and installed them. Looks good in my opinion.

8fZSflch.jpg

I didn't think your Jimny could get any better looking. I was wrong! That looks so good.

• Thanks 1

@JeffSpicoli the Golf is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. 

And thanks for making me aware of Binho! My son's birthday is coming up and I think he will love this. Ordered!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@JeffSpicoli the Golf is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. 

And thanks for making me aware of Binho! My son's birthday is coming up and I think he will love this. Ordered!

Excellent!

My buddy and I played about 10 matches last night, talk about fun.  It paid for itself in one day!   Gonna try and get some league play going locally I think.   You guys will have a blast.

Which board did you order?  I have the pro black board, which plays faster because the pile is less resistant.  The green grass boards a little slower, and they have plastic players so there isn't as much audible pinging off the pins like the pro board.   You can't lose any way, but just some differences to note.

I know it doesn't look like much, but it's really incredible how well this old thing drives!! It was essentially left for dead in a junkyard when I found it and have been slowly resurrecting it.

We had a nice little bash session after postal racing on route 5 today :D

race_support_01.jpg

race_support_02.jpg

• Like 6

@Ferruz I hope you start to turn the corner and get some relief, and some sleep, soon.

@berman Now you have one of these, you'll end up with a lot more - mini crawlers are great fun if you've got a good place to run them!

I was able to get the new Proboat Recoil 2 out over the weekend, and it does not disappoint! I ran five 3200mah 3S packs through it, and even trying to flip it I couldn't! I had the battery as far back as possible, the trim tabs as high as possible and I'd turn hard at what and nothing. I eventually just put it in the water upside down to test it (it worked) and I had no heat issues, or taking on any water. This boat is a keeper, for sure.

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 9.24.57 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-15 at 9.24.58 AM.jpeg

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Excellent!

My buddy and I played about 10 matches last night, talk about fun.  It paid for itself in one day!   Gonna try and get some league play going locally I think.   You guys will have a blast.

Which board did you order?  I have the pro black board, which plays faster because the pile is less resistant.  The green grass boards a little slower, and they have plastic players so there isn't as much audible pinging off the pins like the pro board.   You can't lose any way, but just some differences to note.

I ordered one of the 'limited edition' versions. He's only 8 so a slower pace might help a little. I also ordered lots of spare balls as I assume they will get lost pretty easily!

317743740_ScreenShot2022-08-15at10_28_29am.png.ca5b0e3f9f9e27062163ddd2f74e12d8.png

Funnily enough I tried to introduce him to Subbuteo just yesterday but he thought it looked a bit slow and boring. I think Binho will suit him much better. Thanks again for sharing!

That looks and sounds very fun @lsear2905. I remember watching people with RC boats when I was a kid and they always seemed uncontrollable, slow and spent most of their time upside down! Just like cars it seems these boats have come a long way. 

OK, so a GF01 update. I've been looking at this box, trying to figure out what I should do with it. I saw this ages ago, but it's not exactly my style - too much bling, and I'm not sure about those tires:

Land Burner: This Tamiya Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Is Ready To Roll - RC Car  Action

I can't stand the wheels that come with the Landcruiser, but @southy showed me what it would look like with Konghead wheels here.

img29100_49202093203_1_1100_.jpg

So, I'm going to do a black Kumamon themed GF01, to match my Kumamon tractor and Sand Rover, with my spare Kumamon driver figure, but use the Konghead wheels, have a half-clear chassis but with normal gears, and very minimal red highlights to go with the black and red Kumamon theme (red shocks, hexes and wheel nuts, that's it).

This means I'll have to find a nice red or black brushed motor with suitably low turns that will go nicely with a 2S Lipo, instead of my default Traxxas Titan 12T 550 brushed motor. Having decided this I'll need to order the parts, so that's another month waiting for deliveries from China.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@berman Now you have one of these, you'll end up with a lot more - mini crawlers are great fun if you've got a good place to run them!

I was able to get the new Proboat Recoil 2 out over the weekend, and it does not disappoint! I ran five 3200mah 3S packs through it, and even trying to flip it I couldn't! I had the battery as far back as possible, the trim tabs as high as possible and I'd turn hard at what and nothing. I eventually just put it in the water upside down to test it (it worked) and I had no heat issues, or taking on any water. This boat is a keeper, for sure.

Maybe, another one wouldnt be so bad, I have certainly put a lot of upgrades in my cart on ebay, that's for sure! 😄 Am tempted to get another scx10 as well.

I just went and checked that boat out on YouTube, that's a very impressive boat for 35mph! I think you got the nicer paint scheme too! My LHS sells Proboat. Back in the day I always wanted a Hobbyking Genesis, so have looked at boats since then👍 

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

OK, so a GF01 update. I've been looking at this box, trying to figure out what I should do with it. I saw this ages ago, but it's not exactly my style - too much bling, and I'm not sure about those tires:

I can't stand the wheels that come with the Landcruiser, but @southy showed me what it would look like with Konghead wheels here.

So, I'm going to do a black Kumamon themed GF01, to match my Kumamon tractor and Sand Rover, with my spare Kumamon driver figure, but use the Konghead wheels, have a half-clear chassis but with normal gears, and very minimal red highlights to go with the black and red Kumamon theme (red shocks, hexes and wheel nuts, that's it).

This means I'll have to find a nice red or black brushed motor with suitably low turns that will go nicely with a 2S Lipo, instead of my default Traxxas Titan 12T 550 brushed motor. Having decided this I'll need to order the parts, so that's another month waiting for deliveries from China.

This is what mine looked like a while back.. just throwing some ideas out there.  B)

IMG_Aug202021at114648AM.thumb.jpg.c34963528e99f94d2c110dccd076c127.jpg

IMG_Aug202021at114556AM.jpg.9184d39f75b34964b35da12dcc87b805.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

IMG_Aug202021at114556AM.jpg.9184d39f75b34964b35da12dcc87b805.jpg

I like the idea of the black wheels - I'll try the 'chrome' Konghead wheels first (because I already have a Konghead) and then if the 'chrome' looks out of place I'll get some black wheels - but I think that might be a bit too much black.

@lsear2905  I'm a big fan of the slicks but the maker 'R31 House' also make buggy tyres. Both use the same rims, available in white or black, and are a pretty reasonable price.

Jimny 0

Oh, and I'm glad you've got a Kumamon. I keep trying to find more for future builds but they are rarer than hen's teeth

52025078323_1b0e5cac62_b.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Me too bro, in my mind it's 1989 right now.  Haha.  I didn't skate but I did too like the culture. My bro Mark runs a skate shop in Milwaukee, Phase 2 Skateshop and he did the Psycho Stick for me.   I told him what parts and colors and he built it up.   If you ever want something like it, just hit him up.  He takes Paypal IIRC and he will ship.  

Those were the best years of my life, 13-18.  My life at the time was so  carefree, Tamiya, BMX freestyle, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and Kathy Ireland posters on my walls.   Hahaha.  Part of me wants to build a hobby room that looks like a vintage 80s living room with all of my stuff in there.

That room would be awesome Jeff...

jZRMSTC.gif

Like many of us on here I imagine, I too was a child of the 80's and 90's... Guns n Roses, ACDC, Metallica, Santa Cruz skateboards, BMX's, Tamiya, and all the rest of that era!! That stuff is pure gold🙌

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Oh, and I'm glad you've got a Kumamon. I keep trying to find more for future builds but they are rarer than hen's teeth

52025078323_1b0e5cac62_b.jpg

I wish Tamiya would release them as stand alone models. I had to make Edgar-mons when I needed a cartoon animal driver. It's a painted happy meal toy! 

pcqejQy.jpg

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

img29100_49202093203_1_1100_.jpg

Awesome. Those tires are so much nicer. The heavy dump wheels will work of course, if you want them in yellow. I found the cheapest way to get them was 2 x these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/175369583

Could I make one suggestion. From pictures at least it always seems to me the GF01 is slightly too short for the Toyota body. Could you try flipping the rear suspension arms for about 10 mm longer wheelbase? I think that would look nicer myself. Just an idea. 

7 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I like the idea of the black wheels - I'll try the 'chrome' Konghead wheels first (because I already have a Konghead) and then if the 'chrome' looks out of place I'll get some black wheels - but I think that might be a bit too much black.

Yeah, to me black wheels look very sporty.  Those were painted with semi-gloss TS black.  I've also done gunmetal and that turned out real nice too.  

You can paint your chrome wheels or get some R31House wheels..they come in white and black, but the R31 wheels don't take paint well.. just a heads up.  GL with your choice.  

• Thanks 1

So for me, I painted the stanchion posts yesterday, waiting on my wife to make the rope..

This is before paint.. kind of imagining what it might look like at the end.  

IMG_2022-8-15-074511.jpg.898bc70d11c8ffef6c8f3df35bc8ca2d.jpg

IMG_2022-8-15-084130.jpg.1fdcd0b3f2f72b96b6c29a88a1e93d3e.jpg

Today going to make a seat creeper for Willy followed by a couple of oil bottles to place on the workbench I completed.    B)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

If you use bleach you can remove the chrome on the Konghead wheels for a nice black underneath.

Saves buying a new set of wheels. I removed the chrome on mine to paint white, and I'm 99% sure the plastic was black. Also, it's better than painting etc. as you don't have to worry about chips.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

This is what mine looked like a while back

Those wing mirrors are a cool addition. And how did you get those black panel lines? Did you paint them on the outside? Or on the inside before the rest of the paint? Some sort of fine tipped permanent marker?

1 minute ago, Gebbly said:

Those wing mirrors are a cool addition. And how did you get those black panel lines? Did you paint them on the outside? Or on the inside before the rest of the paint? Some sort of fine tipped permanent marker?

Thanks!    Those mirrors are from a CC01/CR01 LandCruiser body.  You can buy those part trees separately if you can find them on ebay.  

The black panel lines were done with a ultra fine point Sharpie.  If you mess up you can wipe if off with some motor spray/nitro cleaner (or CRC MAF cleaner if you have a hard time sourcing the cleaner.. I tested it and it's basically the same product).  I buy the CRC stuff by the case for my 1:1 car hobby so I am never short.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

The black panel lines were done with a ultra fine point Sharpie

Nice tip thanks. Did you draw them on the inside and then paint over or are they drawn on the outside? I'll look up "CRC MAF cleaner".

24 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Nice tip thanks. Did you draw them on the inside and then paint over or are they drawn on the outside? I'll look up "CRC MAF cleaner".

I just drew the lines from the outside at the very end.  It's easier from the outside as the pen can follow the recessed lines.  

You've seen my whobbly lines on paper :ph34r: .. so recessed guide is very helpful.   :lol:

• Like 1

My wife lent me this Tamiya drill.. this is real nice.  I’ve been using a bare hex drive drill bit by hand unless using a hex drive handle or electric drill.  :D 

I need to get one too.. 

IMG_2022-8-15-101638.jpg.17ecb777bf091108a0745986b71893cb.jpg

Those are caster wheels I’m going to use on the seat creeper. 

• Like 1

Playing with 4000/6000/8000/12000 grit micromesh pads in an effort to creep this a bit closer to the finish line...

ZsWGIcR.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Playing with 4000/6000/8000/12000 grit micromesh pads in an effort to creep this a bit closer to the finish line...

ZsWGIcR.jpg

That looks excellent. How did you do the letter?

1 minute ago, toyolien said:

That looks excellent. How did you do the letter?

Thank you!

For the lettering I tried to embrace my inner @Willy iine and just hand cut it out of styrene sheet.  There's a few more pics and details in my slowly progressing build thread for it HERE

• Haha 1