Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Anyone know if black fine pine stripe tape or decal exists?   I'd like to run a black pin stripe down the sides of the car like the box art.

58025 • Tamiya VW Golf Racing Group 2 (CS) • (Radio Controlled Model  Archive) • RCScrapyard.

I've searched but not found any good candidates. 

Tamiya has pin stripe and Kyosho has Micron tape

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54973/index.htm

https://rc.kyosho.com/en/accessory/micron-line-tape.html

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:59 AM, JeffSpicoli said:

you the man thanks!

Happy to help.

Actually used it last night, not a good effort though, as it was bed time and I was tired.

yqQPxVo.jpeg

• Like 3

For me finally got some time in my pretend RC shop.  Made 2 poster boards and frames to go with them.  :D 

Will make the posters and paint the frames tomorrow as I’m too tired to make clean cuts on the decal sheets right now.. 

IMG_2022-8-26-190031.jpg.c3416881de4310c63d56b345b069e90b.jpg

Just now, berman said:

Happy to help.

Actually used it last night, not a good effort those as it was bed time and I was tired.

yqQPxVo.jpeg

This actually solves another issue I was looking at, maybe lining the jams.

I'm on the hunt for a good cockpit I can retro fit into it and make a roll cage on.  I looked at Tamiya 54298 but it's too wide.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, berman said:

Bought a cheap second hand unit to put some RCs on

qeY5gOl.jpeg

Lovely M chassis collection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, berman said:

Bought a cheap second hand unit to put some RCs on

qeY5gOl.jpeg

What thickness of lining tape do you use?

New wheels and tires (again).
I ordered this set four times and three of those were cancelled. Last try (4th) and I finally got it.

Love the way it looks.

nsw37aZh.jpg

o74la9kh.jpg

ZLSPPPgh.jpg

H10MTrqh.jpg

luIZxTJh.jpg

NeOoHEJh.jpg

u2l0W4eh.jpg

jsJf0uih.jpg

3DnnX7Jh.jpg
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Swampie Beetles are so cool.  Is that body dual tone (gray sides)? 

Nah. Just mat black and good lighting. The only place we messed around with the paint job was the wheels. Its very much a farmyard basher, so knowing the wheels were going to get scratched and show orange under, we exposed some deliberate orange hints, particularly on the rear rims and reverse reveals, so that when the inevitable scrapes happen, there is a bit of 'cover' for them to hide in and hopefully less inclination to touch up. A perfect coat on the wheels would have probably just looked dreadful in a day or two. At least that was my argument and the youngster bought it. 😅

• Like 4

On 8/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, Busdriver said:

So that will be brushed then!!!! I hope it doesn’t throw dog bones!!!

Meant to say he looks lovely. Is he a cocker spaniel?

• Thanks 1

Quick question on bullet connectors.  I am trying to solder the female side directly to the motor but it is not holding.  Does this method work or do I need wiring between the female plug and the motor?

Asking for a friend… 🙄

My wife received the hopeless beads today.. She gave me red, white, blue to finish my gum ball machine for Willy.  :D 

IMG_2022-8-27-152153.jpg.42c2f0a5eeb3449ff25e95d3ecfe85e1.jpg

• Like 6

Today, I decided to work on the M05 bodyshell paintjob...
Very simple this time. I did not have red, I did not want white, I opted for some blue... Maybe too much Subaru, but that's ok :)
TregAk9.jpg

I also tackled the "lights"... But decided I would try something with hot glue as light duct...
p7Hdj7O.jpg
dzVkP0t.jpg
And here is the parts after the paintjob
8iMl1mW.jpg

Next stickers and led installation... not sure when : the car won't be ready for tomorrow's indoor session, so I will be running mainly the Fantom EP4WD tomorrow...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Quick question on bullet connectors.  I am trying to solder the female side directly to the motor but it is not holding.  Does this method work or do I need wiring between the female plug and the motor?

Asking for a friend… 🙄

Bullets directly to motor tabs yes? This works fine you just need quite a lot of heat. A bit of flux might help alongside leaded solder.

MB9

Is my Monster Beetle traversing a prairie? Looks like it. No, this is a actually the ballfield at my daughter's school. Rumor is, a kid playing second base got lost out here. I guess my tax dollars aren't being wasted on maintaining it at least, lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Not much RC activity for me lately due to rainy weather and my back still in pain. But since my parents and extended family are here visiting, they got to see the Big Boss in action once again after some 25+ years 😅 last time I've used it in the company of my parents -with that oddball charger that only connected to a 1:1 car's battery- I must have been no older than 12.

Good times down memory lane :)

20220827-123928.jpg

20220827-124013.jpg

• Like 8

Ordered some white decal paper for my Blaupunkt windshield banner, should be here tomorrow.  I only had clear which might have worked but white probably is the way to go.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Not much RC activity for me lately due to rainy weather and my back still in pain. But since my parents and extended family are here visiting, they got to see the Big Boss in action once again after some 25+ years 😅 last time I've used it in the company of my parents -with that oddball charger that only connected to a 1:1 car's battery- I must have been no older than 12.

Good times down memory lane :)

Awesome action shots as always, Ferruz!  B)  Hope your back pain goes away soon.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frankster said:

Asking for a friend… 🙄

Just sand the motor pegs with 280c or 400c grit sandpaper and use 60w soldering iron. That should do it. I did this to my CFX so I can easily change the motors without needing to solder/de-solder every time.

• Like 1

@Frankster as @Nicadraus mentioned above, agitating the soldering surface is a great idea, and also you may need a hotter soldering iron (as also mentioned above).  

Another trick is to file the tip of your soldering iron so that the heating tip surface is larger.  If you're using a fine point soldering iron tip, it works against you as it takes longer to heat the surface you're trying to solder.. and can potentially damage your motor's contact pad surrounding plastic.

For me, I use 40W+ soldering iron and big tips for larger gauge application.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Meant to say he looks lovely. Is he a cocker spaniel?

Yes, English cocker spaniel. He’s very chilled out at the moment but is bringing some much needed good energy back to the house.

• Like 2