Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I took a break from my Pumpkins, and cleaned up the (oddly dirty) new-built Hotshot I picked up a while ago.  I was having a raging internal battle as the driver figure was painted non box art.  He had a flat yellowish helmet and suite, with dull blue straps.  It was painted REALLY well, and looked good..... but it didn't fit my (boring) vision, so I got out the Flat white, black, silver, and el'cheapo brushes, and butchered the poor little guy.  Luckily adding the window nets back in helps to cover up my ham-fisted paint blobbing...

vhTWk1b.jpg
zLCC1wz.jpg
5r9zWGb.jpg

• Like 7

@bRIBEGuy Your driver looks fine.  I like that you used large dots for the eyes.   

I pretty much suck at painting these guys myself.. my masterpiece is the driver in my Evo.. just look at him!  Gorgeously painted! (can't see crap)  lol :lol:

IMG_2022-4-28-182857.thumb.jpg.1107d2922b5be28ec5c8d670799d1eb2.jpg

I use a cheapo Tamiya 3 basic brush set.  99% of the time I only use the fine and med bristles.  They’re available on Amazon if you want to try them out.  I also have some super fancy Tamiya fine point ones, but I never use it.. cause it’s like giving me a set of Callaway golf clubs where my bowling score rivals my golf score..  :ph34r:  (both bad)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@bRIBEGuy Your driver looks fine.  I like that you used large dots for the eyes.   

I pretty much suck at painting these guys myself.. my masterpiece is the driver in my Evo.. just look at him!  Gorgeously painted!  lol :lol:

I use a cheapo Tamiya 3 basic brush set.  99% of the time I only use the fine and med bristles.  They’re available on Amazon if you want to try them out.  I also have some super fancy Tamiya fine point ones, but I never use it.. cause it’s like giving me a set of Callaway golf clubs where my bowling score rivals my golf score..  :ph34r:  (both bad)

It's funny that you posted that picture as I just started an interior for my Top Force last night! 

Thanks for the advice on brushes, I might give those a whirl!  I'm currently using whatever I find around the house, and these cheapo disposable micro fuzzy tip things that excel at painting OUTSIDE the lines!  :lol:  I found them at the LHS (something sorta like THIS), and while they are good for some things... tiny detail is not their forte.  At least not combined with me.  Ha!

34 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

It's funny that you posted that picture as I just started an interior for my Top Force last night! 

Thanks for the advice on brushes, I might give those a whirl!  I'm currently using whatever I find around the house, and these cheapo disposable micro fuzzy tip things that excel at painting OUTSIDE the lines!  :lol:  I found them at the LHS (something sorta like THIS), and while they are good for some things... tiny detail is not their forte.  At least not combined with me.  Ha!

:D  I wanted my Evo box art (with the tinted windows) but still wanted a driver so forced some styrene sheet over a SandScorcher driver torso and painted it.  

Yeah, those swabs are good for touching up chips on my 1:1 car.  It can carry more paint than a tooth pick to fill the chip.. then I wet sand the touch up to level with the surrounding paint (micro-mesh).  I'm not much of a painter myself and for me, the basic Tamiya paint brush fine-point does wonders.  Anything smaller, like white dots for the reflection on the drivers' eyes, I just use a toothpick.

IMG_2022-4-28-182905.jpg.b1d5a663f41b4692b02496486341579c.jpg

• Like 5

Finished off my schumacher cougar classic I found the correct pitch of pinion gear in my pinion gear box which I had looked in about twenty times and never found one......I found two so I decided to  carry on and finish the body took it for a little spin outside around the street something I never normally do but I just couldn't wait to see how it performs and as with the other Schumacher's it performs absolutely brilliant even with a standard 540 motor it goes really well but with this 12t it's on another level:D

20220829_190143.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

:D  I wanted my Evo box art (with the tinted windows) but still wanted a driver so forced some styrene sheet over a SandScorcher driver torso and painted it.  

Yeah, those swabs are good for touching up chips on my 1:1 car.  It can carry more paint than a tooth pick to fill the chip.. then I wet sand the touch up to level with the surrounding paint (micro-mesh).  I'm not much of a painter myself and for me, the basic Tamiya paint brush fine-point does wonders.  Anything smaller, like white dots for the reflection on the drivers' eyes, I just use a toothpick.

Oh that is superb and the driver figure just finishes it off I might have a go at doing that myself with my evo:)! What motor do you have in yours?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, moffman said:

Oh that is superb and the driver figure just finishes it off I might have a go at doing that myself with my evo:)! What motor do you have in yours?

Thanks!   I scorch my fingers each time I use a heat gun to shape styrene.  :lol:   but to me, it's all worth it.

I run SuperStock BZ on all my faster buggies so that it makes the cars easier to compare.  (BZ, 1252MG, 1060, SR215).

Your Schumacher looks good! B)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!   I scorch my fingers each time I use a heat gun to shape styrene.  :lol:   but to me, it's all worth it.

I run SuperStock BZ on all my faster buggies so that it makes the cars easier to compare.  (BZ, 1252MG, 1060, SR215).

Your Schumacher looks good! B)

Thanks I'm quite happy with it I wanted to do something 80s retro from what I remember back in the day! 

I run a limited edition super stock RR with the grey can because it matches the body and it got quite a good bit of punch with a 2s lipo but does tend to die off at full throttle but its probably brilliant on short twisty tracks?

20210527_111406.jpg

20200709_093113.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Thanks I'm quite happy with it I wanted to do something 80s retro from what I remember back in the day! 

I run a limited edition super stock RR with the grey can because it matches the body and it got quite a good bit of punch with a 2s lipo but does tend to die off at full throttle but its probably brilliant on short twisty tracks?

Yes, I love those vintage 80's paint schemes..  :D     

Huh, StockRR.. that is a good looking motor!   I love that red endbell.  So that motor has a 28000rpm rating vs 26,500rpm on my BZ.  That's a nice noticeable bump in power!

Edit.. Ordered another Evo.  :D   

• Like 1

Got my stealth body mounts this morning but they are too big for the Golf's body post.  Back to the drawing board on how to avoid drilling the hood.

IMG_5281.JPG

Well I posted the boat I sold on eBay this morning and had a nice win... postage was $13, not the $30 I'd budgeted for.

In other news, I'm still waiting for the final pieces for my GF01 build to turn up from China... everything takes so long these days...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

For the eyes, I cheated and used a fine point black felt tip pen 😬

23 minutes ago, Frankster said:

For the eyes, I cheated and used a fine point black felt tip pen 😬

@Juggular recommended that so you’re safe!  :lol:

• Haha 1

Had a last walk in the woods with my family before we drove them to the airport. Someone said they really wanted to see the "JPS" in action -or at least they were nice enough to tell me that 😅- so I brought it along, also to have some sort of emotional buffer before the inevitable goodbyes.

It was the first outing with the front spiked vintage AE tires, and I like how it handles. 

Screenshot-20220828-223846-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20220829-164535-Video-Player.

20220828-223442.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Got my stealth body mounts this morning but they are too big for the Golf's body post.  Back to the drawing board on how to avoid drilling the hood.

IMG_5281.JPG

Have you thought about sleeving/wrapping the post to increase the diameter?

Since the Hotshot driver got a do over, I figured I'd keep the interior momentum rolling and start on the Top Force as well...

JGEVil9.jpg

Revive RC interior was the starting point here, along with a driver that I stole from another Hotshot project.  Interior seat and bezels get the same paint as the body... PS-17 backed with silver then black.  Driver head got a few coats of gloss white before the face got started...

S3eZgGX.jpg

• Like 4

@bRIBEGuy Oooo.. nice color on the interior!   Is your Evo going to be a green based car like the standard TopForce?   My Evo came pre-painted in the gunmetal color.  

For me, I got this pretty big pile of scrap plasticards from prior projects.   I don’t throw away scrap pieces as they come in pretty handy.. 

Like today is recycle day and decided to make easels for my posters.  :D  Pieces are pretty small so had to improvise.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-8-30-102909.jpg.2954af67005a8d97c33810b389025ecf.jpg

IMG_2022-8-30-102922.jpg.805cfe0418cb502d944fbd23820e280f.jpg

IMG_2022-8-30-102936.jpg.2c2c1204a74c1f29c06f7580e459607d.jpg

I should paint these gunmetal color..?

Finished the easel. :D 

IMG_2022-8-30-172411.jpg.4d6dee9f384160f78a7fdbdb4f308bb2.jpg

IMG_2022-8-30-172429.jpg.d908f4224cb037cf54285aff86cdd84f.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

Just now, Willy iine said:

@bRIBEGuy Oooo.. nice color on the interior!   Is your Evo going to be a green based car like the standard TopForce?   My Evo came pre-painted in the gunmetal color.  

Thanks!

This isn't an "Evo" car, just a straight up "standard" Top Force with a relatively box-art paint job

YtrPpVl.jpg
5WznUf2.jpg

I left the windows clear and unstickered with the intent of doing an interior from day 1.  This one gets the Revive RC version, and the EVO kit I still have to build with likely get a driver setup similar to what you did with your EVO @Willy iine

And yes, those stands for your (awesome) posters should most certainly be painted gunmetal.

• Like 4

@bRIBEGuy  Oh that interior is going to look real good with the exterior!  :D  

I like how you painted the tray too.  

Thanks, the easel will be painted gunmetal once the glue sets. B)

• Like 1

On holiday from work and the wife isn't so got my fleet out for some work... 

Madcap wasn't working great kept stopping bit of research on here and found out I didn't have the pins in right on the hobbywing esc 🤦‍♂️

Hornet glued the wing to the shell with gorilla glue as my lad keeps breaking it off 😂

Lunchbox thought I'd need new electrics for it as my lad drove it through a deep puddle on Saturday and it stopped working but it still works must just have been needing to dry out feared the worst but drives fine 

Kyosho lazer2000 esc stopped working on Saturday but it was just a pin on the connector 

Everything working fine but no doubt I'll be doing it all again once the lad destroys something this weekend 😂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Have you thought about sleeving/wrapping the post to increase the diameter?

I did briefly think about that, but thought that might be more work than looking for a better fitting mount.....

2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Since the Hotshot driver got a do over, I figured I'd keep the interior momentum rolling and start on the Top Force as well...

JGEVil9.jpg

Revive RC interior was the starting point here, along with a driver that I stole from another Hotshot project.  Interior seat and bezels get the same paint as the body... PS-17 backed with silver then black.  Driver head got a few coats of gloss white before the face got started...

S3eZgGX.jpg

What sort of brushes are you using?  Are they high end brushes?