Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today ive added some front spots to cover over where the chassi was cut, a number plate and The Main Man as the driver to the recently rebranded Midnight Beetle.

IMG_20220904_134034.thumb.jpg.57aed74cc0ee78ae649f7a413604a0bb.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, berman said:

After that I took the lunchbox for a spin on the beach.

rs9XMbk.jpeg

Nice! I’m looking forward to running my Lunchbox at the beach.

I’ve been reading about various hop-ups and mods for it but don’t want to stray too far from standard I think.

Do you run yours stock?

• Like 1

@Frankster Awesome, man!   You can drive that car indoors no problem.  Very cool.

For me, hardly exciting stuff, but I needed to test bind and mark these receivers as I've received one dead on arrival in the past.. 

My plan is to run Rx1 for Optima MID; Rx2 for Turbo Scorpion; Rx3 for Fighting Buggy, Rx4 for Egress Black.   They all passed so that's good.. I was going to take apart my Amazon junk buggy if I needed one more receiver and 1060.. 

IMG_2022-9-4-112615.jpg.693cac1956d011a7eddfcd8bc1d40a11.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Can you see @Jonathon Gillham’s house from there?

😄 Hes 2 hours Northwest of me.

6 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Nice! I’m looking forward to running my Lunchbox at the beach.

I’ve been reading about various hop-ups and mods for it but don’t want to stray too far from standard I think.

Do you run yours stock?

Yeah just a silvercan as my kids used to use it and I would hand it to random kids when we were at the park. Would suggest a sport tuned minimum, as loose sand makes them a bit slower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, berman said:

Yeah just a silvercan as my kids used to use it and I would hand it to random kids when we were at the park. Would suggest a sport tuned minimum, as loose sand makes them a bit slower.

Yes, great. I’ve got a sports tuned spare so could stick that in. But wonder if I might get something a little more powerful but don’t want to overdo it.

I also saw something about a brace, a fifth shock and fishing wire mods! I might do some more reading on those.

• Like 1

I made 2 more seat backs for the Billy's coming to me some time this week for my TA05M-Four and BSR Basher m-chassis (both Rover Mini Coopers).  I got to say, sorry for contaminating the internets with the same thing over and over, but that is what I did today. :D

Left is the front of seat, right is the rear side.   I will make the platforms maybe tomorrow.

IMG_2022-9-4-171142.jpg.05106d5f0f063a960a5a0a2b413bdbc6.jpg

I also ordered a new dual battery charger that can do all chemistries out in the market.   It has bluetooth and works off an app so that I can setup/monitor charge in real-time from my iPhone.  This is going to be great to finally update my super dated :ph34r: charging station.  

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, Nikko85 said:

I designed by first 3D thing ever. Took a few hours to do but feel I've learned a new skill. They are knuckles for a Tandy Jeep Renegade, as the originals have some cracks. Took a little while, no tutorials, just playing around till it made sense.

Will just print in PLA as that what I've got at work, but we'll see. If they work but just aren't strong enough I may see if anyone here has a better 3D printer!

I wanted to congratulate you on your first 3D design earlier!  Great job and hope you design all sorts of cool parts for your Nikko's, RadioShack models, and GF01!  Maybe you can post them up on Shapeways too down the road.  :D

My wife is a network consultant in the IT industry  (she actually owns and runs her own company) and can build me super powerful computers and have access to all sorts of commercial design software, but the problem is me..   it just overwhelms me to think I need to relearn how to make something..   I'm too old and don't want another challenge in life.  :lol:   ..So, I'm going to be a spectator and would like to watch you excel at your new craft!   GL!!

• Like 1

Took the WO’s work boots off from its beach run, gave it a more thorough clean and lube then put back into shelf mode til the next time.

362ABB99-263D-4FA7-9011-C17DD994781F.md.

• Like 5

Took my son and two of his little friends to run buggies. One of them was my Optima Mid on its first run.

Seriously fast in a straight line. Scary fast. (Tekin 3Gen mod ESC, Tekin 10.5 Gen4 motor,, Gens Ace LiHV battery). Serious oversteer under any kind of power, though.

As a result, I learned the hard way the importance of ensuring that the battery is strapped in good and tight. Really good and really tight.

When the battery came loose, it took the cables off the ESC. So the Optima's day was over before it started.

My son and his friends had a great time with a Javelin and a Super Storm Dragon.

Afterwards, I came home, fixed the Mid (soldering 12awg wire is MUCH easier with a 5.2mm tip) and took a look at the alignment. Gave a few degrees of front toe out and that seemed a little better. 

Will test in more detail when I get the chance. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yesterday?

I ran my UL19 - motor wires de-soldered directly onto a 3S battery, luckily no explosion.

I ran my Sonicwake - turns out it may not have been the flex shaft but the collet that was the problem, so a brief run and a new collet ordered.

I sailed, but with intermittent wind (and it started drizzling) I went home.

Hours Later GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I ran the UDR twice - broke a shock shaft.

I ran the E-Revo twice - it came home unbroken!

At that point I called it quits.

Today?

I ordered a new collet and a new shock shaft.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Today I tested the new servo for my Optima Mid build. It works well fortunately, so at this point I have almost everything needed and I could start it.

Also I went for a quick walk at dusk w my lady and, for lack of a better pet, the Big Boss 😅 it was basically pitch black, but there was still some color in the sky so a photo was taken 

20220904-201310.jpg

...and an extra one with Ms. F, since she was impatient and got in the way😄

20220904-201339.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, berman said:

That practically makes us neighbours where @Re-Bugged lives!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, great. I’ve got a sports tuned spare so could stick that in. But wonder if I might get something a little more powerful but don’t want to overdo it.

I also saw something about a brace, a fifth shock and fishing wire mods! I might do some more reading on those.

I used to have one of my 4000kv combos in my lunchbox, that's a lot of fun, even on 2s.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

That practically makes us neighbours where @Re-Bugged lives!

Ha that's true, didn't think of that.

I was going to make a comment of how yes, I can see Jonathon from here, he seems to be spinning another yarn to Mrs Gillham about buying a new X rc car and how he needs it for Y event, and his son can have W old car, and how if he buys it now, he will save Z dollars, and also if he adds 5 other items to his cart, it will justify the shipping, and... she was rolling her eyes so far back into her skull, she could see her spine 🤣

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, berman said:

I used to have one of my 4000kv combos in my lunchbox, that's a lot of fun, even on 2s.

Ha that's true, didn't think of that.

I was going to make a comment of how yes, I can see Jonathon from here, he seems to be spinning another yarn to Mrs Gillham about buying a new X rc car and how he needs it for Y event, and his son can have W old car, and how if he buys it now, he will save Z dollars, and also if he adds 5 other items to his cart, it will justify the shipping, and... she was rolling her eyes so far back into her skull, she could see her spine 🤣

You'll be shocked to hear I have an M05 signed off for the incredibly serious M05 racing some of the guys at Counties do fortnightly. And you'll be disappointed that i haven't bought it since i can't practically make it to the races

She was off sick today and so got the servo delivery which wasn't ideal, especially since they added to the pile and are for the 2 Thundershot series she doesn't know about...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello all! This is my very first post to the forum, and this looked like a good thread to start as it's great seeing what everyone is up to and some of cool stuff you are all building and running. 

Today, prior to starting the working day I have been like an excited child on Christmas morning, unwrapping and playing with a load of new toys that arrived over the last few days. I have been dipping in and out of RC for the last 30 years or so, and was inspired by a friend who was waxing lyrical about how much of a game changer brushless motors and lipo batteries were. 

I dusted off my old TL-01 Stadium Raider and deemed it too fragile (in it's well bashed state) to add a brushless system to, and I thought it might be too much for my M05 Mini, so have bought myself a new kit. 

About 10 years ago I bought my son an Ansmann Mad Rat and remember really enjoying the build and it was such a fun buggy I kind of wished it was my own car. So I managed to find a slightly more up to date Ansmann X2 Team Edition gathering dust on a model shop's shelves. It was missing a few non-critical parts so got it for a good deal, and as I want to do a custom Blitzer Beetle style build, it saves me the faff of the front hex conversion that I would have to do with a DT-03. 

This morning I set about testing my shiny new electrics (and I have questions already which I will post in the appropriate topic). It's a budget build so time will tell if my Amazon sourced components will bite me or not. Can't wait to see the build come to life and a see how it goes. I feel this may be the first of many posts (and many more builds). 

IMG_9191.jpg

• Like 6

@provdes Welcome and looks like a fun project!  I use Amazon cheap stuff where applicable and was pleasantly surprised how well they worked (in my case $15 servo’s).  

GL with your build.  Keep us posted here. :D 

• Like 1

Welcome @provdes! I look forward to seeing your build develop. Be sure to keep us updated and share photos.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I wanted to congratulate you on your first 3D design earlier!  Great job and hope you design all sorts of cool parts for your Nikko's, RadioShack models, and GF01!  Maybe you can post them up on Shapeways too down the road.  :D

My wife is a network consultant in the IT industry  (she actually owns and runs her own company) and can build me super powerful computers and have access to all sorts of commercial design software, but the problem is me..   it just overwhelms me to think I need to relearn how to make something..   I'm too old and don't want another challenge in life.  :lol:   ..So, I'm going to be a spectator and would like to watch you excel at your new craft!   GL!!

Many thanks,

More than happy to share anything I make, but this one is SO niche I think I'll be the only one ordering one for a while. However it does open up the idea of getting some more popular RadioShack/Taiyos or Nikkos and 3D printing items to help convert them to hobby grade, or simple fixes. My main issue with these cars is if a little part breaks, often that's it - you have to get a whole new one as a spare, but this should cover it.

I am debating a little seat for Edgarmon which I could 3D print.

I would say that I spent around 2 hours making the first design, I thought it would be much more involved - but in reality it was quite simple - that being said, what you do with plasticard is quite amazing, so if you just made things on a 3D printer - something would be lost. Sometimes not doing everything means you do something really really well.

• Like 1

Hi guys, new member just saying hello, been lurking in the shadows for years, if I'm ever stuck you guys will have a fix for it. Just received some motor extension wires to fit to my xv01 lancia, cause I ain't running a silver can, gonna try one of the Holmes hobbies sealed brushed motors( 17t I think). Should go well hopefully. Cheers 

• Like 2

Today i looked at my plan for this Summer, well before i did realise how much work there was to get married in Aug. So this project has been a statusQuo, and do not even ask why i bought some off those hop ups but i do remember having a lot off plans. I will for sure wait to next summer wit paint jobb as i have no suitable space inside to spraypaint without getting a devorce right away. Here is what im looking at:

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, provdes said:

Hello all! This is my very first post to the forum, and this looked like a good thread to start as it's great seeing what everyone is up to and some of cool stuff you are all building and running. 

Today, prior to starting the working day I have been like an excited child on Christmas morning, unwrapping and playing with a load of new toys that arrived over the last few days. I have been dipping in and out of RC for the last 30 years or so, and was inspired by a friend who was waxing lyrical about how much of a game changer brushless motors and lipo batteries were. 

I dusted off my old TL-01 Stadium Raider and deemed it too fragile (in it's well bashed state) to add a brushless system to, and I thought it might be too much for my M05 Mini, so have bought myself a new kit. 

About 10 years ago I bought my son an Ansmann Mad Rat and remember really enjoying the build and it was such a fun buggy I kind of wished it was my own car. So I managed to find a slightly more up to date Ansmann X2 Team Edition gathering dust on a model shop's shelves. It was missing a few non-critical parts so got it for a good deal, and as I want to do a custom Blitzer Beetle style build, it saves me the faff of the front hex conversion that I would have to do with a DT-03. 

This morning I set about testing my shiny new electrics (and I have questions already which I will post in the appropriate topic). It's a budget build so time will tell if my Amazon sourced components will bite me or not. Can't wait to see the build come to life and a see how it goes. I feel this may be the first of many posts (and many more builds). 

IMG_9191.jpg

Interested in seeing your build 🤗

• Like 1

I got back into this late in 2018 and joined this wonderful community in early 2019. My starting point , rather naively, was to get a Mini Cooper and run it at the local skatepark!!! Well as many of you will have seen I have done anything but. I have gone way off piste but always hankered for a Cooper. Well I still haven’t. My two main stumbling point have been the price of original cars and or bodyshell and the lack of a suitable aftermarket shell. Well I think I’ve got as close as I’m going to get by using an M05-S chassis, which I love and an L&L Mini Clubman shell. Now I have oft moaned about the quality of some of their shells and stickers but this one had a better feel from the get go. The window stickers are too thick and do not fit over the mouldings, rather inside them so I ve ordered a set of MCI cooper stickers which I will redo when I get them. The shell itself on the other hand looks good. So here at last is my Mini::::DEAE7127-38EB-42D4-A996-FFCE1E2895B8.jpg  D44C33E6-06C3-4043-92BC-EE8277414133.jpg 0A6CC283-97CB-4BFA-BE0F-406B7E0DB79C.jpg

I’m happy with this. Have a couple of things sitting under the bed but I think I might give rc building a rest for a while and get back to some static stuff.

• Like 11