Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Nice! 

Happy birthday for yesterday, cool gifts 👍

Thanks! Birthday is today though. All a bit confusing as I’m in Oz so ahead of most forumites.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Thanks! Birthday is today though. All a bit confusing as I’m in Oz so ahead of most forumites.

Even better! Happy birthday 🥳

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Believe me, I have tried. There is something about the combination of heat, melty stuff and electronics that my brain / hand / eye connections cannot fathom.

And related to your point to @Frankster  I like the ability to disconnect a motor from an ESC to swap things around, so my soldering attempts involved trying to attach bullets to motor wire and then motor wire to motor. Chaos!

I always felt like I would need three hands to solder well 😂

Ahh, no problem.  It's probably like me trying to fix something on my house's roof.   I can't seem to get my balance even though I've tried to brave it many many times.. :lol:  I just hire someone to do it these days.  

I use helping hands.  It's also great for holding painted bits while drying.  You can get these on Amazon. 

IMG_2022-9-8-074440.jpg.27581e477b3f081df9221369d917b770.jpg

Speaking of which, I unboxed my new charger this am and need to wire Deans on the banana cord.  Will do that next.  

IMG_2022-9-8-074427.jpg.95b73839a6117df110017136e6c0701b.jpg

IMG_2022-9-8-081412.jpg.e98c9f510375772cce9dac8c22d0646e.jpg

Update..  I didn’t even read the manual, downloaded the app, started charging from my iPhone.   :D  This is fantastic for dummies like me.  And the charger verbally announces which modes, etc so I don’t even need to be looking at the charger’s super legible screen.

This is an old NiMH from like 10 yrs or so ago.. that still holds a charge so I use it.

IMG_2022-9-8-080137.jpg.1bcf451ab697a4d46ea58302e70583b4.jpg

iPhone screen shots..

IMG_2022-9-8-075503.png.0c9a8c7c79ce60f5fc61344b542333db.png

It’s on auto-charge so you can see the charge rate increase on its own.. 

IMG_2022-9-8-075731.png.1fc915e57f79a7d0297fe2d4a62bd683.png

This is great.  I hope I make @Nicadraus proud!   :lol:

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Ahh, no problem.  It's probably like me trying to fix something on my house's roof.   I can't seem to get my balance even though I've tried to brave it many many times.. :lol:  I just hire someone to do it these days.  

I use helping hands.  It's also great for holding painted bits while drying.  You can get these on Amazon. 

Speaking of which, I unboxed my new charger this am and need to wire Deans on the banana cord.  Will do that next.  

IMG_2022-9-8-074427.jpg.95b73839a6117df110017136e6c0701b.jpg

IMG_2022-9-8-081412.jpg.e98c9f510375772cce9dac8c22d0646e.jpg

Update..  I didn’t even read the manual, downloaded the app, started charging from my iPhone.   :D  This is fantastic for dummies like me.  And the charger verbally announces which modes, etc so I don’t even need to be looking at the charger’s super legible screen.

This is an old NiMH from like 10 yrs or so ago.. that still holds a charge so I use it.

IMG_2022-9-8-080137.jpg.1bcf451ab697a4d46ea58302e70583b4.jpg

iPhone screen shots..

IMG_2022-9-8-075503.png.0c9a8c7c79ce60f5fc61344b542333db.png

It’s on auto-charge so you can see the charge rate increase on its own.. 

IMG_2022-9-8-075731.png.1fc915e57f79a7d0297fe2d4a62bd683.png

This is great.  I hope I make @Nicadraus proud!   :lol:

What is not to be proud of your posts? :lol: I really admire your crafty work and set up especially how clean and neat you arrange and display them. 

Always proud my friend. Always proud! :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Is that thing well weighted? I did buy a small helping hand type thing to help with soldering which supposedly had a weighted base but as soon as you put any kind of pressure on it, it just fell over 🤦🏻‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Is that thing well weighted? I did buy a small helping hand type thing to help with soldering which supposedly had a weighted base but as soon as you put any kind of pressure on it, it just fell over 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, the base is steel and quite heavy and has a magnet base on the hands so that I can move it around.   I suppose I can add wheel weights on the bottom side if I wanted it even heavier.. (but not needed).

In my childhood ghetto days, I used tape to hold one wire or connector to the table (or a book), and soldered that way.  Worked just fine.. just ghetto.  :lol:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GeeWings said:

It’s my birthday today and I received more Tamiya surprises from my much better half. I mentioned comical buggies a few months  back so she must have taken note:

252195D7-44EC-45F1-BE10-6E22781085ED.jpeg.05b6f636fcce39588ed2918ee1143494.jpeg

She also got me the mini drill which I had shown her ages ago when she was complaining the normal drill was too big for a task she was doing and I say jokingly “if only we had the Tamiya handy drill”.

0012BC3B-39F2-4543-A7D9-F6C4D568639E.jpeg.42a520b2b94a16a8a384460126304984.jpeg

Then the other night she was watching “The Repair Shop” on TV and someone was using magnifiers. She said I needed those now I was getting older! I agreed and again she took that as a prompt.

So all in all I’m feeling very spoilt and surprised!

Happy BDay!  That Hornet is going to rock.  It looks fanatic in box art, well, at least to me.   I left the very front of the body slightly longer below the cut line to cover up the wide-open bulkhead which appeared a bit weird to me.

The funny is that the Comical drives better over bumpy terrain than the hop-crazy regular Hornet!  lol 

IMG_Apr12021at90022AM.jpg.ee58ee40978d22a98812b6ddc68d9b77.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Finished my Monster Racer body…finally.

045a19f1-6f31-45ba-bjne1f.jpeg

9ce4d2d2-f4f5-4ddf-81zdrb.jpeg

Oh man, that looks so good.   Nice job. :D 

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine Thanks!

I totally agree. I’m not usually a box art fan but this looks so good in its “official” livery! I love the other comicals too and will definitely be getting the others soon!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I found that a fun build. Have to make sure you get the bits in straight!!!

You’re right. I was surprised by it. Should be useful too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Speirs said:

Finished my Monster Racer body…finally.

045a19f1-6f31-45ba-bjne1f.jpeg

9ce4d2d2-f4f5-4ddf-81zdrb.jpeg

That’s a beauty ❤️

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@Willy iine Thanks!

I totally agree. I’m not usually a box art fan but this looks so good in its “official” livery! I love the other comicals too and will definitely be getting the others soon!

Sounds good!  I hope Tamiya does a Comical Egress.  I keep seeing @simalarion's Comical Avante and each time gets me itching whether I should build mine or not..  B)  That's another good looking comical for sure.  

And these kits come with cool decals so making posters out of them is fun! 

IMG_2022-8-27-143302.jpg.802ec2b25ea45fd3d8436899cb35e212.jpg

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Sounds good!  I hope Tamiya does a Comical Egress.  I keep seeing @simalarion's Comical Avante and each time gets me itching whether I should build mine or not..  B)  That's another good looking comical for sure.  

And these kits come with cool decals so making posters out of them is fun! 

IMG_2022-8-27-143302.jpg.802ec2b25ea45fd3d8436899cb35e212.jpg

Yes, the comical Avante is high up the list. I’m not sure I could have your will power not to make it!

If a comical Egress ever appeared I would buy two immediately; one to make box art and one to mimic my Egress build which used a Schumacher Cat themed livery.

The only Comical I don’t love is the Comical hotshot with its molded front shock. Perhaps the moulding could be cut out and replaced with some more realistic looking.

Good work on the posters. They look great. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Believe me, I have tried. There is something about the combination of heat, melty stuff and electronics that my brain / hand / eye connections cannot fathom.

And related to your point to @Frankster  I like the ability to disconnect a motor from an ESC to swap things around, so my soldering attempts involved trying to attach bullets to motor wire and then motor wire to motor. Chaos!

I always felt like I would need three hands to solder well 😂

There are available to help with soldering… technically a 4th hand 😅.  Personally I do not solder enough to pick one up 
image.jpeg.dc2f54c0fbbf66b536bfc85f3e17b314.jpeg

Edit: read older posts first.  just saw @Willy iine had the same recommendation 🤗

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankster said:

There are available to help with soldering… technically a 4th hand 😅.  Personally I do not solder enough to pick one up 

I had one of those but sent it back as it wouldn’t stay in place. Mine was very cheap in fairness but I think the modern ones with the flexible arms are better. I think @Willy iine posted one up earlier. 

• Like 1

I use the brand QuadHands sold on Amazon which are a bit better than the imitations they sell.  I bought their imitation too and the quality of the arms is not at the same level.

I also have the one @Frankster posted and it worked okay, but the infinite flex arms on the QuadHands were a bit better for me.  Again, just taping the wire to something (even a vice on your workbench) also works just fine..     I come from super-ghetto, so I speak from experience.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I use the brand QuadHands sold on Amazon which are a bit better than the imitations they sell. 

Thanks. The quad hands was the one I was trying to remember but couldn’t recall the name. I will get one ordered today.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frankster said:

Edit: read older posts first.  just saw @Willy iine had the same recommendation 🤗

Yup, that's the one I have. It's pretty much useless and just falls over at the slightest encouragement, as mentioned by @GeeWings above

The product posted by @Willy iine looks altogether more stable 

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

Yup, that's the one I have. It's pretty much useless and just falls over at the slightest encouragement, as mentioned by @GeeWings above

Take the magnifying glass off and it works much better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Coming from super-ghetto, I clamped the base leg to the table when using the one Frankster mentioned.  :D   

Yes, a bit awkward to work with, but it still held the wire quite nicely.  The issue I had was the arm would not exactly turn the way I wanted it to, or it would loosen and having to have to turn the dial the right amount to semi-lock it down was a bit of a hassle.

I don’t have those issues with the QuadHands. 

• Like 1

Hey, I'm Advanced now! Must mean I get better skills, huh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Juhunio said:

Hey, I'm Advanced now! Must mean I get better skills, huh? 

Your photos showed you were an expert from the getgo!  Congrats!  :D 

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

This one from Ali is Ok ish, its got a adjustable light and a quite heavy base so it will not fall over, but i wish the arms would tighten up more. 

• Like 1