Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Edit: checked the manual online and 25T pinion achieves 7.28 with the stock spur. Will a 26T fit? Or are there spur options? 

Have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

So I had to go to the office today again for my money making gig so didn't have much time to do RC..

However my Jimny was screaming for side mirrors so I managed to make those.. :D   Will paint them maybe tomorrow after making a few seat backs to paint together. 

IMG_2022-9-13-191019.jpg.b005b27f7940a487fa19657f53827a51.jpg

IMG_2022-9-13-191043.jpg.420f365a6882e37bbec25c946fbe8bf8.jpg

IMG_2022-9-13-191103.jpg.186779fe5c5f85da3a5159dfecc38c39.jpg

• Like 4

Finished clear flat coating on the wheels

Before

77E53B0A-BBDF-40AB-BF1A-101750C26C79.thumb.jpeg.6fb10ef999f0f00e04118803beec9ae5.jpeg

After

12583442-A98E-4671-82D5-88C1BD44C946.thumb.jpeg.4783626103cbd021731659b342ba4f94.jpeg

Before

208E3D5B-4B33-4311-B4B7-5463D09A590B.thumb.jpeg.40a3db771f1f3324aa9bb38aa5b40b26.jpeg

After

2C56107F-1189-4BB0-ADD8-EB430888CB20.thumb.jpeg.9c2623dff31f86d2e1b75ea08b68ec3f.jpeg

After looks better in person. Nice frosted look

• Like 5

@Willy iineyoure right, the Jimny does need side mirrors. I ordered some for mine but didn’t like them when they arrived!

When does the Willy iine pretend RC shop become a real RC shop? I want to place some orders please! ;) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@Willy iineyoure right, the Jimny does need side mirrors. I ordered some for mine but didn’t like them when they arrived!

When does the Willy iine pretend RC shop become a real RC shop? I want to place some orders please! ;) 

Thanks.   It’s actually easy to make.  I just took some scrap plasticard I had and started cutting and filing while looking at a few 1990’s(?) Jimny’s as reference.  

Mine is a tad shorter and wider for the comical theme.  :D 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Frankster Nice!  I like that frosted matte look.  Very cool.  

Are you going to install a driver? 

On my to do list 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks.   It’s actually easy to make.  I just took some scrap plasticard I had and started cutting and filing while looking at a few 1990’s(?) Jimny’s as reference.  

Mine is a tad shorter and wider for the comical theme.  :D 

Yes, great.

Might have to have a go over the weekend. Having seen the difference it makes on my HCT and now your Jimny I’m more determined it does need them.

While my little helper had another rest…

AF5F48C3-50D4-4210-A27B-35D4E4A0F4B7.jpeg.0f036ef3e405980786dc8f7ceec8b881.jpeg

I made some more progress on the Comical Hornet.

14FC4D47-FBA8-4271-93C5-F80E8246D39E.thumb.jpeg.7e545fb86a75e50e6244df17d05d155d.jpeg

Should be able to get this finished tonight and with some sunny days on the horizon I’m hoping to get this painted too, ready for a weekend test run.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I don’t plan on running such a hot motor, but my next category I will be working on in 2023 after the street version SandScorcher is the TRF road cars come Spring when I kick my older kid out of his room in prep for college. :lol: Many pretend RC shop will expand significantly.   B)

Probably will only make 2 cars for the entire category, but will run a mild brushless set up.  

Then will move onto something else.. not sure what yet.. dorifuto cars?   :lol:

Nice, I think every collection needs a TRF car, they are a completely different beast to what most people see of Tamiya.  Any idea what you'll be going for?  I'd love a TRF420X but the price jumped by 50% from the TRF420 and they are just getting silly now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Nice, I think every collection needs a TRF car, they are a completely different beast to what most people see of Tamiya.  Any idea what you'll be going for?  I'd love a TRF420X but the price jumped by 50% from the TRF420 and they are just getting silly now!

Yep, agreed.   Yeah, I am looking at the TRF420X.  It's more like a status car than anything.. it is silly, I know.  :ph34r:

I have no idea which body and wheels fit the chassis.. I will probably look for a WRX STI body..(?) those fit?  ..and run square setup on the wheels and tires.. 

• Like 1

I've spent way too long today looking at this: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4m/ I can think of many things it is missing, could be improved, etc, etc... but I'm very tempted.

I also tried to order this part (https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-9005884-rc-parts-58405-toyota-land-cruiser-40-cr01-p-90063914.html) because @Willy iine pointed out it looked good on his GF01 LandCruiser, and I wholeheartedly agree. Now I have to spend yet more money on a part that will probably break the first time I flip it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lsear2905 said:

I've spent way too long today looking at this: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4m/ I can think of many things it is missing, could be improved, etc, etc... but I'm very tempted.

Oh you BAD person!!!! I thought I was cured but I fear not. My names Busdriver and I’m an RCaholic!!!!

35 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Oh you BAD person!!!! I thought I was cured but I fear not. My names Busdriver and I’m an RCaholic!!!!

Hail to the bus driver,

bus driver, bus driver,

Hail to the bus driver,

bus driver-man

He screams and he cusses,

He rams other buses.

Hail to the bus driver,

bus driver-man.

🤗

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

I also tried to order this part (https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-9005884-rc-parts-58405-toyota-land-cruiser-40-cr01-p-90063914.html) because @Willy iine pointed out it looked good on his GF01 LandCruiser, and I wholeheartedly agree.

That part doesn't fit the GF-01 though right?

Edit: sorry, you said the mirrors rather than the grill.

What shocks did you go with?

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

He rams other buses.

Actually the other bus rammed me that’s why I’ve had 15 years of back problems culminating in major spinal surgery last November!!!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

Last night I ordered a 24 and 25 tooth pinion from RW Racing. Then guess what I found at the bottom of my spares box!! Yup a 24t but also a 26t pinion. So to answer @Juhunio’s question 26t does fit. F0333280-41DC-4118-916C-FA8B72273D41.jpgEverything seems good though I haven’t fully put it back together cos when I looked at the diff I realised that one of the shins was missing. Searched high and low but nowhere to be seen. So ordered some more. 5/10 days wait!!! So won’t button it back up again until I have them fitted. Let you know how I get on.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Actually the other bus rammed me that’s why I’ve had 15 years of back problems culminating in major spinal surgery last November!!!

Joking aside, sorry to hear about your back pain.

2 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Joking aside, sorry to hear about your back pain.

No worries 😉 

41 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Last night I ordered a 24 and 25 tooth pinion from RW Racing. Then guess what I found at the bottom of my spares box!! Yup a 24t but also a 26t pinion. So to answer @Juhunio’s question 26t does fit. 

Great stuff! Based on the formula in the manual this gives you an FDR of dead on 7, smack in the middle of the motor's gear range. A great place to start, with some room to manoeuvre if decide you want to reduce the pinion size 👍

• Thanks 1

@Juhunio If you don't mind, would please let me know if the Tamiya STI NRB body set (TAM51593) would fit the 420X wheel base and all?   I can't seem to find what the chassis wheelbase is.  :wacko:

The body is for 257mm.. 

I raced strictly AE back in the day so don't know much about TRF touring chassis.   

Also where do you shop for cool wheels and tires?  TIA!

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@Juhunio If you don't mind, would please let me know if the Tamiya STI NRB body set (TAM51593) would fit the 420X wheel base and all?  

No problem... both kit and body shell are 257mm wheelbase so you're all good there. The 420 will (I imagine) use some variant of lightweight / reversible lower arms so won't be compatible with Tamiya 26mm rims; you will need to find a Tamiya 24mm rim or 3rd party 26mm rim that suits the body. You might then need to fiddle about with some wheel spacers (eg 53448) to get the track just right 

One thing to bear in mind...make sure you source an undrilled body set. Most / all of the pre-drilled ones are drilled for body posts over the front damper stay, where most / all racing kits (inc the 420) have front body posts over the bumper. If your body set is undrilled you can drill your own holes to make it work 

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Also where do you shop for cool wheels and tires?  TIA!

Bit of a mixed bag....sometimes it's just a case of browsing Tamico, othertimes it's about finding the right part number on Tamiyabase and then hunting high and low. Always worth a good browse through the HPI website as they do (or have done) lots of very nice rims, though they're not always that easy to find. Same with Ride, and MST. I have found Drifted.nl to be a good source of MST rims if RCMart are out of stock 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @Juhunio!   I will go ahead and get that body then.  

I will check out the wheels you noted as well.  24mm wheels are fine, I guess, since my 1:1 STI runs 245's so not too far off scale.. although 26mm would be real nice.

I want to run 26mm on my street version Sand Scorcher's rear.. (okay my head is all over the place)..

I should have my 420X late next week.. I only ordered one this time as I don't see myself driving it besides a test drive to ensure everything works.. what do you think?  Shall I get another one for back up?

• Like 2