Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I should have my 420X late next week.. I only ordered one this time as I don't see myself driving it besides a test drive to ensure everything works.. what do you think?  Shall I get another one for back up?

Hmmm, that is a very expensive kit. The TRF kits are just too top end for me, they are pure racers and in my world they are a bridge too far, just too expensive and single-minded for my needs

I know you love the double deck carbon fibre chassis, I do too. But there are enough non-TRF kits that scratch that itch for me (primarily the Evo range, but quite a few of the TB and TAs can be upgraded too) and are a rung lower in terms of budget and purpose

If it were me I would stick to one 420X and, if you haven't already, track yourself down a 49400 30th Anniversary 934. It's a variant on the TA05, kind of a TA05-MS, and is a beautiful thing to build and behold, a vision of carbon fibre and blue aluminium 😊

But, each to their own man! If you've got the spare cashola and are into it, go for it. Buy three!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Hmmm, that is a very expensive kit. The TRF kits are just too top end for me, they are pure racers and in my world they are a bridge too far, just too expensive and single-minded for my needs

I know you love the double deck carbon fibre chassis, I do too. But there are enough non-TRF kits that scratch that itch for me (primarily the Evo range, but quite a few of the TB and TAs can be upgraded too) and are a rung lower in terms of budget and purpose

If it were me I would stick to one 420X and, if you haven't already, track yourself down a 49400 30th Anniversary 934. It's a variant on the TA05, kind of a TA05-MS, and is a beautiful thing to build and behold, a vision of carbon fibre and blue aluminium 😊

But, each to their own man! If you've got the spare cashola and are into it, go for it. Buy three!!

Thanks for the insight!   Yeah, I was thinking getting another dual deck CF for mild vanity driving..  I missed my chance on the 45th (was going to get the CF decks) so this is why I am a bit confused as to what to do next.. I do like the 30th as well.   I am a fan of the TA05.  :D 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I missed my chance on the 45th (was going to get the CF decks) so this is why I am a bit confused as to what to do next.. I do like the 30th as well.   I am a fan of the TA05.  :D 

Set yourself up an eBay alert and wait....sounds a bit mad saying it, but anything around the £750 / $800 mark for a NIB 49400 is reasonable 

I got mine two years ago as a built shelf queen (£350) that I then dismantled and rebuilt with a few extra Hop Ups (extra carbon parts, milky blue springs and stabilisers)

spacer.png

• Like 5

Today I finished the paint on the Alfa 155 shell that's going on my FF03RR

spacer.png

My masking between the black and white was really poor, probably my worst effort yet, the line is very scruffy. I'm hoping that the extensive stickers are going to help hide my shoddy workmanship 🫣

I'm going to have to seriously up my masking game for the 190E Evo that I'm planning on tackling this weekend, that line between the green and gold has to be SHARP 😳

spacer.png

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Kinda RC related.  Today I changed the filter on my mask when I paint my RC bodies. Safety first!

02EA7AD9-942E-4BE6-94F6-F1227CBC79E8.jpeg

I am going to have to get something like that I think! Don't want to die of rainbow-lung 😂

2 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I am going to have to get something like that I think! Don't want to die of rainbow-lung 😂

It works very well.  I paint in a condo fire stairs.  I tried outside but the wind did not help and most of the paint flew away. 

You can have Tamiya PS rainbow 🌈 lungs 🫁 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Kinda RC related.  Today I changed the filter on my mask when I paint my RC bodies. Safety first!

02EA7AD9-942E-4BE6-94F6-F1227CBC79E8.jpeg

Good work, I have a JSP mask but pretty sure my filters aren't quite the level they need to be. 

I don’t use a mask :ph34r: and let my high power exhaust fan in my garage suction air through an HVAC Hepa filter I ghetto mount in the mudroom doorway.  

Its $7+ for one 12x20 filter and lasts maybe 3-5 paint sessions.. so yeah, I buy by the case.   :D  There is no paint fume inside the house after painting.. well besides the outgassing bits I just painted, but recently installed an air purifier in my pretend RC shop so the smell is very minimal to none.

For me, continuing on with making more seat backs..one for my Jimny, 2 for my M05’s.. still a ways to go.. 

IMG_2022-9-14-115615.jpg.8a7994fb31bf086d7a095d71e8fdcdbe.jpg

Update.. still needs shaping and sanding.. taking forever today due to WFH.. 

IMG_2022-9-14-152722.jpg.d054d94e27c52c1084fcd449fb193cfb.jpg

Update.. finished the 3 seat backs and ready for paint tomorrow.   :D 

IMG_2022-9-14-182425.jpg.9cb9de4224a8b3277fa6f528b05f5017.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I'm going to have to seriously up by masking game for the 190E Evo that I'm planning on tackling this weekend, that line between the green and gold has to be SHARP 😳

spacer.png

I haven't done it in a while, but a good method I've used in the past for razor sharp line like that is to use liquid mask to coat the body, and then use a layer of two of (low tack) masking tape over it to act as a guide for your xacto knife to cut the liquid masking straight.

• Like 1

@Juhunio So I placed some orders on 24mm wheels and TypeA tires for the 420X and will try them out down the road, thanks again.

So I am looking for a simple ESC/Motor combo..  I've been away from brushless setup a while so not sure what's popular these days.   Is the HW  XR10 Pro G2S v10 G4 motor combo (21.5T) recommendable?  I don't need anything fast as I'm slow these days.  Any other recommendations?  TIA again.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:45 PM, Willy iine said:

@Nikko85 how did the blue parts you printed last week turn out on your car?  

Very well thanks, although a little needed to be trimmed away with a knife as I was limited by the very basic software. The newly designed ones on the new software should be much closer to the originals. That being said, the trimmed the old ones work flawlessly so it's just perfection for perfection's sake, and to get the skill down.

I've also started working on a custom made servo horn - which should just be a little smoother. And a battery cover for my cut down QD chassis which is part of the King Cab 1/14.

This is the engineering I like, not trying to make a high performance vehicle, but adding parts to toy grade cars, so they can effectively be hobby grade, but look like that's the way they came from the manufacturer when you open them up, not glue gun and double sided tape etc.

• Like 2

@Nikko85 That sounds great.  It's amazing how you just dived right in and started printing up parts.   :D  Nice job.

For me, sprayed the plasticard bits this morning.. will brush paint later today and finish the Jimny hopefully before the day is over.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-15-074829.jpg.276ae21ce473990827e72e31f0d12af3.jpg

I need to study ESC's.  I will be doing that most of today when I have time, I think.  

Update.. got back from my money making gig at the office.. and sprayed the seat back’s back sides.   

I assembled the side mirrors and will be attaching to the car next.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-15-172845.jpg

Side mirrors installed.. :D 

IMG_2022-9-15-173925.jpg.f8f46c5fc39d8f3209917e57eba8f5cc.jpg

Also glued Billy’s helmets in prep for sanding and paint tomorrow.. 

These will be installed in my M05’s. 

IMG_2022-9-15-175751.jpg.7d78c33bf8053f5cfd823aaf28c0ca14.jpg

Final update for the day.. Brushed paint is still wet.. looks like I will finish the Jimny tomorrow morning.  B)  Should look pretty good when complete.

IMG_2022-9-15-183018.jpg.cd1d342eca6bc589f48898bca346335b.jpg

I have a spare Jimny body set so maybe next year I will also paint a light blue or light green one.   

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 3

@Willy iine I bought a Dollatek 60A ESC and 3300 motor brushless combo from Amazon and it all works really well... until I use the servo. Turns out the BEC bit of the ESC doesn't output enough power to handle the servo + some lights I have plugged in. Been helped by the wonderful folk on this forum here.

So while I wait for a UBEC to turn up, I took delivery today of a Tokyo 2020 Olympic surfing Barbie doll. Which I promptly gave to my daughter and then stole the surf board. Turns out Barbie surf boards are pretty much bang on 1/10 and should fit on the roof rack of my bug-rod pretty well (after I have sanded it down and painted it grey and black)!

IMG_9301.jpeg

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, provdes said:

@Willy iine I bought a Dollatek 60A ESC and 3300 motor brushless combo from Amazon and it all works really well... until I use the servo. Turns out the BEC bit of the ESC doesn't output enough power to handle the servo + some lights I have plugged in. Been helped by the wonderful folk on this forum here.

So while I wait for a UBEC to turn up, I took delivery today of a Tokyo 2020 Olympic surfing Barbie doll. Which I promptly gave to my daughter and then stole the surf board. Turns out Barbie surf boards are pretty much bang on 1/10 and should fit on the roof rack of my bug-rod pretty well (after I have sanded it down and painted it grey and black)!

IMG_9301.jpeg

Please let us see more as you progress. i e what chassis etc etc…..

• Like 1

Masking.

All. Day. Long. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A series of external masks are applied first, to be used as guidelines for the internal masking. Rather than removing the protective film to apply final stickers, and then mask the entire outside,  I scanned the relevant stickers and made my own templates out of masking tape that I could stick on top of the protective film. More time consuming for sure, but I couldn't face masking the whole outside as well.

Then pretty much the entire inside has to be masked off to leave those few bare areas for black paint, but in such a way that the rear section of masking can be removed to spray red while leaving the front masking intact ready for a final coat of silver. Oh and then the window masks come off for some smoke. 

I need a beer....

• Like 9

@provdes Thanks for the info.  I decided to go with a HobbyWing ESC/BL combo.  HW has been my go to brand since coming back to RC, post-2010 so just went with a familiar brand.  

Once I get the car and study it, I will decide if I have enough room to do a 1251MG with a short wire or just do my usual 1252MG.  I think I will also want to pull out my old 4PKS-R.. 

..hummm.. !!  Thanks for the idea on the surfboard.   I think I might make a roof rack and a roof box for at least one of my Cooper’s..  :lol:

@Juhunio For some reason I cannot seem to be able to see your photo’s..  yes, I did clear cache just now.. (?) :wacko:

Edit: Never mind, I see them now!   Looks intense!  :D 

Edited by Willy iine

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Nikko85 That sounds great.  It's amazing how you just dived right in and started printing up parts.   :D  Nice job.

Thanks, it does help that work has a few grands worth of 3D printers! 

Today I designed a servo horn that will work with the Tandy Jeep.

TwjVIZR.png

I will need to measure what I have before I finalise the printing, but looks like it should work well. 

I also discovered that the Tandy Renegade Jeep tires will fit on an M Chassis wheel. This means if I wanted to, I could put the Tandy Jeep body and tires on an MF01x for a really awesome 4x4 Jeep with great scale tires and looks. The tires are 75 mm so would give a decent clearance compared to stock. Yes, the MF01x won't win any awards for off road, but with a 13T pinion, 35T motor and 75 mm wheels I should have something that's good a decent blend of ok speed, decent off road ability and scale looks.

This would involve a new MF01x, which could be hard to justify, so I might need to sell something. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:26 PM, lsear2905 said:

My shocks for my GF01 finally arrived, now just waiting on the heatsink (and possibly the mirrors, thanks @Willy iine )

So @GeeWingsI just ordered cheapo eBay shocks that are too stiff, but I just replace the springs with the stock ones so I have some shiny red aluminium that are marginally better than the stock friction shocks. Let's face it - the big tires do more suspension work than the shocks!

I ended up ordering the mirrors from Tony's Tamiya Parts directly, I wondered about the grille though - have you tried mounting up that grille to the GF01 body?

Also, @provdes and @Willy iine, skateboards from children's toys are great - check out Kumamon heading off to the beach in his Sand Rover!

1745406718_WhatsAppImage2022-09-16at3_27_33PM.thumb.jpeg.0293795755765e32a1a9c484489dfbf4.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice @lsear2905. Regarding the grilll; if I remember correctly the grill for the CC01 is larger than the GF01. I'm sure @Willy iineconfirmed that when I asked that question some months ago.

Kumamon is looking cool as ever! I wish it was easier to get Kumamon driver figures.

• Thanks 1

Found a bit of time this week to have a crack at one of the many Team C bodyshells I seem to have acquired  :rolleyes: and always put off starting.

It was an education in pre planning. With the use of several images from the web, I have nearly finished the Honda Accord PIAA, this is sitting on the recent FF01 from eBay, which came up really well after a clean up.

Need to find a spoiler for the rear, the one supplied is lexan and very basic. No wing mirrors supplied, found some from a previous build which fit the bill.

Window masks were too small and needed additional masking. Cut lines poor but overall not a bad 'copy' of the Tamiya original. Considering the cost is close, if not the same as some Tamiya bodyshells, I would have liked a full set of better quality decals and all accessories included, but you have limited options if you want to go down this route.

Decals, not a patch on Tamiya. Had to be really careful applying some heat to adhere to curves as the decal would start to melt, you can see on some of the decals on black areas of the shell, white marks under the surface. Some decals missing, different sizes etc. I worry how long they will stay in place, i have had to re stick the window surround already. 

NRNOyWK.jpg

Started with the black areas

3vYYxnP.jpg

Then hit it with the white

5FgkJNY.jpg

QPVzqoU.jpg

Msw3Drk.jpg

You can see the white areas under the decal EPSON on the rear, were the decal has started to react to the heat

P1gDbzg.jpg

Overall, I'm happy and it may even encourage me to do another at the weekend if SWMBO lets me :) 

I will add some photos to the RC Gallery thread once its completed.

• Like 5

@lsear2905 Love that surfboard / Kumamon combo!

Soooo.... it appears progress with my Ansmann Racing X2 build has hit a snag. There is a vital part missing from my kit - the rear suspension arm mount. Everything was in sealed bags and all the rear chassis parts grouped together so it's just bad luck its missing.

Worse luck is that now the Ansmann Racing and Team C brands a pretty much dead, spare parts are rare as rocking horse poop. I can pretty much find every component (on eBay and the like) to build a complete car but this one part is non-existent (see photo - the hex driver on the right is pointing at the diagram).

There was a branded Team C aluminium hop up option, but no stock exists. I found some stock of complete kits that would contain the part, but the price is hiked up waaaaay above what they were originally which makes it a nonsense option, even to have a stock of spare parts.... 

My only possible glimmer of hope is this: https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/213402/  It looks like it could do the job, so I guess I'll just have to order it and find out (while I keep an eye on my eBay alerts for a complete car for parts). 

Grumble, grumble, grumble.... I'll focus on the bodywork I think!

JPEG image 3.jpeg

On 9/15/2022 at 1:02 AM, Juhunio said:

Today I finished the paint on the Alfa 155 shell that's going on my FF03RR

spacer.png

My masking between the black and white was really poor, probably my worst effort yet, the line is very scruffy. I'm hoping that the extensive stickers are going to help hide my shoddy workmanship 🫣

Hey @Juhunio, sorry to hear it didn’t go as well as planned.

I’ve been pondering what I might do in the same situation and this is what I came up with if it’s any help, 

1, Repaint the black on the outside. (using something suitable to give a gloss finish may be tricky though)

2, Mask a Pinstripe on the outside  covering the scruffy line and fill in with a Sharpie.

3, Use some Pinstripe decal (like the fine ones used for panel trims) to cover it.

Just some food for thought 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1