Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Hey @Juhunio, sorry to hear it didn’t go as well as planned.

I’ve been pondering what I might do in the same situation and this is what I came up with if it’s any help, 

1, Repaint the black on the outside. (using something suitable to give a gloss finish may be tricky though)

2, Mask a Pinstripe on the outside  covering the scruffy line and fill in with a Sharpie.

3, Use some Pinstripe decal (like the fine ones used for panel trims) to cover it.

Just some food for thought 😉

I'd actually use a black 'contact' book-covering style adhesive and trim them to make window stickers (you can get gloss or matte and it's very cheap if you make an error). Then you can do pinstripes around them (as per @Re-Bugged's suggestion #3). 

@GeeWings You may, or may not, have seen that I'm currently on Gumtree and Facebook actively trying to secure a fourth Kumamon for my inevitable WR02 Wild Willy build... no luck yet though.

@Honza I think 3D printing will be the future of this hobby, to a certain extent, in the same way that piracy manages to keep old Nintendo games (and the like) available after they no longer have manufacturer support.

@provdes That sucks, but it's the exact reason I avoid manufacturers and models that have no aftermarket support, and just stick to Tamiya, Traxxas, Kyosho and Proboat. Can you find something similar from another brand and somehow make it work?

@Tobyone That looks great! Love the classic Civic box underneath - you should frame that!  

• Like 1

@lsear2905 no, I hadn’t seen that. I was thinking about getting one of the plastic figures available on eBay. They might be OK for enclosed vehicles as I reckon they would need to be cut down:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374177084540?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=9xk_1A1YT_m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=091oju5eRgK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

32 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

I think 3D printing will be the future of this hobby, to a certain extent, in the same way that piracy manages to keep old Nintendo games (and the like) available after they no longer have manufacturer support.

Yep, I hope that desktop SLS printers become a thing, just like FFF and Salad in recent years.

That's exactly how I use it, this chassis has my version of LA arms, which work with TB02 uprights, because originals are not  available... Plus, I've been finally able to realize my vision of TL-02 chassis, while also improving MF-01X

44 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@lsear2905 no, I hadn’t seen that. I was thinking about getting one of the plastic figures available on eBay. They might be OK for enclosed vehicles as I reckon they would need to be cut down:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374177084540?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=9xk_1A1YT_m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=091oju5eRgK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

With any luck I'll be in Kumamoto in 206 days, so I'll be stocking up on as much Kumamon paraphernalia as possible!

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Hey @Juhunio, sorry to hear it didn’t go as well as planned.

Thanks man, I'm not really sure what happened there, but I can only assume I was lazy with my masking. I am going to change my approach though...rather than masking off the line first and then masking the rest of the shell, I'm going to mask off the shell and then do that critical line last, making sure it is dead tight and also meaning the tape can't lift at all while I'm masking the rest of the shell

Thankfully it looks like stickers will cover most of the sins (stock image from Tamiya.com below), and I've got a few different pinstripe stickers or bodyline tape options which will deal with the rest 

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

With any luck I'll be in Kumamoto in 206 days, so I'll be stocking up on as much Kumamon paraphernalia as possible!

What!!! That’s a trip to look forward to for sure.

• Like 1

Had a little more time this evening to work on the Comical Hornet. Hopefully will get enough decent weather to get the body painted this weekend. 

D6CB8B40-AC1B-44DF-90E7-9D16067C288E.thumb.jpeg.cc7f92bb271081df2725a6d5806705f9.jpeg 

It’s a nice little kit, looking forward to taking it for a spin soon!

• Like 3

I am going to try to knock up a 3D printable Kumamon  in driving pose, should anyone be interested? I'll have to borrow a few existing designs to make something work.

image.thumb.png.b35ca33b4b546caa92aeac0ba7c660e0.png

With a hard hat I might also have a driver for my Heavy Dump if I cut out the windows!

The model I am using has face parts so you can paint those before sticking on. No idea if it works, but I'll try in 1/25 scale before trying in 1/15 for my other Radio Shacks etc.

PS I did not make this, I am nowhere near that skill level, but downloaded a model and now trying to get it to look like the Tamiya one.

Andrew

• Like 5

For me, sanded the helmets and gave Billy some color.  Will work on the torsos next. B)

IMG_2022-9-16-090335.jpg.f4ef7e87d04a8a0c4bab78bd900ab2c6.jpg

Painted the torso..  will paint the faces may be later today or tomorrow.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-16-150748.jpg.6bc9f5daa932c98fce216fd9a4c39e89.jpg

Final update for today.. shaky hands today for some reason.. well I know it’s from me practicing cajon yesterday.. pretty intense stuff.  

Will make the platforms over the weekend and mount into my M05 Mini’s.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-16-170630.jpg.0fbd267d62ecbe5bbb17e66cb9f926a6.jpg

IMG_2022-9-16-170616.jpg.01153a23a054d97b95b4f404f4077cab.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, Juhunio said:

up my masking game

A tip ive seen is to do the masking, apply a clearcoat before the paint, the idea being that the clear will seep in where one would get mask bleed and seal those up, ive not used it on a lexan shell but did on my Blitzed DT03, no bleeds at all.

Good luck however you go at it :)

Today ive installed a cheapo amazon brushless setup in the Blitzed DT03, 60A esc and 3900kv motor, from pics it looks the same as a Dollatek one, hopefully i wont run into the issues @provdes has had but if i do i have backup BECs laying about.

I kinda wanted something with less KVs as to not change the RPM too much from a torque tuned brushed and have too little low end grunt but with just indoor starts it seems fine.

It rained today so i didnt go out to try it and i wont know for sure until i do.

I also made a dust/gravel cover for the Blitzed DT03, a cut open half litre bottle fits perfectly and i added velcro on each side at the rear, the front is held in by the body mount.

With the runs ive done this far ive had to shake out gravel before i could remove to the battery, hopefully this sorts it.

IMG_20220916_212401.jpg.09a584efd025705d24122064840b35ab.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I am going to try to knock up a 3D printable Kumamon  in driving pose, should anyone be interested? I'll have to borrow a few existing designs to make something work.

With a hard hat I might also have a driver for my Heavy Dump if I cut out the windows!

The model I am using has face parts so you can paint those before sticking on. No idea if it works, but I'll try in 1/25 scale before trying in 1/15 for my other Radio Shacks etc.

PS I did not make this, I am nowhere near that skill level, but downloaded a model and now trying to get it to look like the Tamiya one.

Andrew

I'd be very interested if you were happy to distribute the file - I know a couple of people who may be able to print one for me

A nice day for ducks today and not looking for anything to involving before night shift tonight I set about tidying up the my work space. Then I gave the Blackfoot a spring clean with 303 after reattaching the back window that’s been sitting on the shelf for months.

05E975BA-28B4-42C8-A450-A7601E9DBEA8.jpg

I’d cleaned up the Monster Beetle a couple of weeks ago too,

1B4FB0E8-9C6F-4240-9B49-E37ED556CF84.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I am going to try to knock up a 3D printable Kumamon  in driving pose, should anyone be interested? 

Very interested! 

• Like 1

@Willy iine and @Re-Bugged How do I used 303 on tires?  Pour into a cloth fabric and wipe onto tires?

I found a reseller but repackages into a plain bottle without any instructions etc. Not even a spray pump. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

@Frankster I usually spray into a sponge or microfiber towel and then dab on.  If the tire is really dry, I take it off the car, place in a sink and just spray liberally.. let it sit for 15min or so and remove the excess.  

You will lose grip if this is a road tire, so be sure you don’t get it on the treads if you plan to drive on them.   Off-road is usually okay.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Frankster I usually spray into a sponge or microfiber towel and then dab on.  If the tire is really dry, I take it off the car, place in a sink and just spray liberally.. let it sit for 15min or so and remove the excess.  

You will lose grip if this is a road tire, so be sure you don’t get it on the treads if you plan to drive on them.   Off-road is usually okay.  

Thanks. Will give it a try

Pretty much what @Willy iine said @Frankster. I dampened a soft cloth with it for the plastic body wiped on them buffed it.

For the tyres (tires😉) I sprayed a little directly on and inside with it removed an rub till the residue is gone 👍🏻 You don’t need much at all. 

• Like 1

There are different types of 303 @Frankster  Without original packaging it would be hard to tell. There is one for Interior & Exterior which is designed for rubber plastic & vinyl which is what I used today. It should look a bit milky when applied heavily.

Then there is the 303 Sealant that is for paintwork, that is clear. 
That is very lightly sprayed onto a wet surface then rinsed of with water. 

17 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Pretty much what @Willy iine said @Frankster. I dampened a soft cloth with it for the plastic body wiped on them buffed it.

For the tyres (tires😉) I sprayed a little directly on and inside with it removed an rub till the residue is gone 👍🏻 You don’t need much at all. 

On the body is new to me.  I am assuming hard abs bodies such as monster beetle?

9 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

There are different types of 303 @Frankster  Without original packaging it would be hard to tell. There is one for Interior & Exterior which is designed for rubber plastic & vinyl which is what I used today. It should look a bit milky when applied heavily.

Then there is the 303 Sealant that is for paintwork, that is clear. 
That is very lightly sprayed onto a wet surface then rinsed of with water. 

I hope this is the correct one   Will it work on tires and body?7D716914-C5D9-4595-A773-C7F76D697489.jpeg.1d27b45442e28e3be06736f2910d05b0.jpeg

this is the bottle I received

5E120FC4-EB2E-4E2A-97B1-5FD97275AC44.jpeg.a29cf789a044819e6329b12d79d1ae78.jpeg

did not have microfiber handy so I asked my wife for disposable face sponges 🧽 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although it’s not sold as Aerospace here it’s the same @Frankster

7CAF525D-2397-4AD2-B6A8-FE3C60A79CD5.md.

The ‘Protectant’ label & Ultimate UV Protection in your image would indeed suggest it is the rubber plastic & vinyl one suitable for tyres 👍🏻

You can see here the left nozzle residue is clear, while the one on the right is milky (for rubber)

24E19BDD-5FB8-4BF8-A66A-F5CC3747696C.jpg

• Like 1

Drove a couple of hours Northwest today to play trucks with a bunch of guys from the truck club. Venue was the drift/indoor track at the back of a Hobby shop. After a play I bought a couple of items (it would be rude not to) and drove home again. It was a nice day out.

gEUC542.jpeg

VzwO2LP.jpeg

T54V9KF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Although it’s not sold as Aerospace here it’s the same @Frankster

7CAF525D-2397-4AD2-B6A8-FE3C60A79CD5.md.

The ‘Protectant’ label & Ultimate UV Protection in your image would indeed suggest it is the rubber plastic & vinyl one suitable for tyres 👍🏻

You can see here the left nozzle residue is clear, while the one on the right is milky (for rubber)

24E19BDD-5FB8-4BF8-A66A-F5CC3747696C.jpg

Spent the afternoon adding Aerospace protectant to all 7 RC cars, even the sidewalls on the road cars.  Will be posting more photos shortly in the gallery 🤗

47155F77-6E9C-413B-B0AD-39CB61C6EF6B.thumb.jpeg.a29d01d3275590dc26a11cb7ac1b5cb3.jpeg

74FD3D77-753E-48AD-B056-FA80B1A50093.jpeg

FEFD7F3E-126E-4974-9585-B0ABE66B6BFE.jpeg

711BDDF9-9377-4B63-9F2C-059C34732D0C.jpeg

• Like 8