Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Picked up a used Sport Tuned motor. Added it to my Monster Beetle to give it more of a kick.  I keep forgetting how small the pinion is.

D1D35873-604F-4115-90D1-3EF6AD07BADF.thumb.jpeg.0b8ebe1c8e1a18f0a20783d07231c115.jpeg3B9F3140-B018-40B8-948A-9DC670B52CBF.thumb.jpeg.44b805f2b2fbb7432709fcb9e7caee43.jpeg40627117-F415-4442-9D72-97C6D0318BD3.thumb.jpeg.cc2662ee9bc4bba1b10547a8555a67ab.jpeg36FAF869-3AE8-4321-8E36-C50E2FD55579.thumb.jpeg.088893c41c0e2ddba3e8f8e28b9557b1.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Frankster said:

Almost there.  Body and wheels painted.  Missing driver, lights, trim, decals etc.

1B7C6E1B-4BDF-424F-BF34-16EF89270253.jpeg

That’s looking real good, Frankster!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Picked up a used Sport Tuned motor. Added it to my Monster Beetle to give it more of a kick.  I keep forgetting how small the pinion is.

D1D35873-604F-4115-90D1-3EF6AD07BADF.thumb.jpeg.0b8ebe1c8e1a18f0a20783d07231c115.jpeg3B9F3140-B018-40B8-948A-9DC670B52CBF.thumb.jpeg.44b805f2b2fbb7432709fcb9e7caee43.jpeg40627117-F415-4442-9D72-97C6D0318BD3.thumb.jpeg.cc2662ee9bc4bba1b10547a8555a67ab.jpeg36FAF869-3AE8-4321-8E36-C50E2FD55579.thumb.jpeg.088893c41c0e2ddba3e8f8e28b9557b1.jpeg

I think that's about as far as you can go in the faster motor department when it comes to the monster beetle without upgrading the gearbox! Maybe get away with lipo battery?

3 hours ago, moffman said:

I think that's about as far as you can go in the faster motor department when it comes to the monster beetle without upgrading the gearbox! Maybe get away with lipo battery?

Thanks. I figured this is the limit.   No ball diff but a transmission brace.   Would love a lipo batt but I recall the chassis has curves for a old school 6 cell.  Also not sure if I want exploding batteries around my younger kids

• Like 1

gd1

Recovering from a Covid booster today, but managed to get out with my daughter as usual and took the SMT10 along. I've been on the fence about keeping this. I need some cash as rampant inflation has been chewing up extra spending money (hence "cough", shameless plug, putting my re-re Bruiser up for sale [which nobody seems to want anyway, curse you cheap Chinese knock-offs lol]). The SMT10 is actually a great truck. Its kinda rubbery/plasticy in stock form which, like Traxxas, allows it to shake off various collisions that would shatter Tamiya ABS. It really is trouble-free and I think that might save it from being axed from my fleet for now. I'm going to have to inject some character into it, something Tamiyas have in spades. I have some ideas, which of course cost money, which is what selling this was supposed to generate. Arg! The cycle continues, lol,

gd2 gd3

One thing, obvious from the pics, is badly needed...sway bars. I can three-wheel this baby all day on pavement:D. The Digger body has to go. The days of Dennis Anderson pushing his rig super-hard against the big-boys is long gone and Grave Digger is everywhere. I'm surprised its not on a breakfast cereal yet. Maybe Grave Digger branded sausage links or perfume might be next. Sky's the limit.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

With all the talk of how great LMTs are, it is nice to see your SMT10 out and about @Saito2.

I have a kit in the loft to build one day. Gotta finish the other ones first though...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Got one of my brace sets fitted which should sort the gear box. I've been running my test rig on a silly hot brushless set up for ages and it's doing well :-)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Two full cans of PS-2 later... Still work in progress :D

20220917_104000187206cb764799e4.jpg

I guess it's quite a big shell, but have you found PS-2 to be very thin? And needs lots of layers to create decent coverage?

I needed loads more than I expected on a recent R390 shell, and have just massively underestimated how much I would need on the R8 I'm working on. I'm about two coats short, so I'm gonna need another can 🙄

It will be Wednesday at the earliest before I can grab one, so now just praying that the masking all holds tight 🤞

• Like 1

Not all today, but finished today...painting a new shell for my 40th Anniversary TA02SW

It currently has a JPS livery shell on it, but I fancied something a bit more minimal. I had a can of Cobalt Green in the garage that I never used on my 30th Anniversary; it has a Gulf livery instead, and I pretty much convinced myself I didn't like the green.

spacer.png

Then I saw @GermanTA03Guy's GT2 ❤️. That's when I realised the green is beautiful, its the combination of it with the multi-coloured Vaillant livery that wasn't to my taste

So, my 40th Anniversary 934 will now get a shell inspired by the 30th Anniversary 934 (and @GermanTA03Guy's GT2)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll work on stickers over the winter, but it's going to be very minimal

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frankster said:

Thanks. I futures this is the limit.   No ball diff but a transmission brace.   Would love a lipo batt but I recall the chassis has curves for a old school 6 cell.  Also not sure if I want exploding batteries around my younger kids

You'll be fine with lipos around the younger guys just treat the batteries with respect and they can take a bit of punishment they aren't nowhere near as dangerous as you would expect and I have this lipo in my monster beetle and it fits perfectly! Although it did do this to it on its maiden voyage:unsure:

20220917_172129.jpg

20210807_134114.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 9/16/2022 at 6:28 AM, lsear2905 said:

So @GeeWingsI just ordered cheapo eBay shocks that are too stiff, but I just replace the springs with the stock ones so I have some shiny red aluminium that are marginally better than the stock friction shocks. Let's face it - the big tires do more suspension work than the shocks!

I ended up ordering the mirrors from Tony's Tamiya Parts directly, I wondered about the grille though - have you tried mounting up that grille to the GF01 body?

Also, @provdes and @Willy iine, skateboards from children's toys are great - check out Kumamon heading off to the beach in his Sand Rover!

1745406718_WhatsAppImage2022-09-16at3_27_33PM.thumb.jpeg.0293795755765e32a1a9c484489dfbf4.jpeg

02739B63-35FD-4B5F-BD45-28A32FB6E1C2.jpgDF94F5DE-D9E2-4A8B-BCE2-FFAC4FBB6880.jpg

Follow the bear!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Today, i spend my day discussing RC vintage with many people in Tendon, Vosges, during the Vosgienne 2022... Most participants were running GP 1/8 offroad cars, with some nice Micro racing Buggy, Bullits and other Twists...

A few pictures...
WmRFA0M.jpg
twcW8uf.jpg
m8nYEKF.jpg
rwXWgDu.jpg
2qrInkW.jpg

My Nichimo Spirit FF is like a visit card... Many people came to me to tell me they saw my work on some groups or forums, and they found it very interesting, and they liked what they see...
Very funny to discuss with one guy about RC and notice during the discussion he is the guy who sent me some resin pilot for the price of the shippment for my Galaxys and Hunter... This was definitely a great moment...

And later on in that day, always starting from my Nichimo, discussing with an old guy impressed by my work and you learn during the conversation the guy designed some very reknown 1/8 GP Offroad car, including the Micro Racing Buggy my brother had when young and the MRC Bullit: a piece of history, indeed...

I short, I'm tired, spent most of the time discussing with many people, did not run my cars a lot : the weather was bad and the track was dirty... I ran my Luncbox a few times and that's all... But it was still a great moment, with many of the participants looking at both my Samurai and Spirit FF with a lot of interest... My son ran a bit more, but since he forgot to take the new tires for the Super Hotshot, at the end there was no grip anymore... At least, today, he did not break anything.

In short, a great day...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

gd2 gd3

One thing, obvious from the pics, is badly needed...sway bars.

Please don't kill this awesome quirkiness with sway bars!! 😄

(Ps just kidding, you do what yiu want of course but that crazy stance looks so cool💥)

• Like 1

Not today but yesterday evening. Went off to the park with my lady and the Hornet. Ran it like I stole it on the baseball field. Got that smile on my face I was longing for. 👌

20220916-203042.jpg

20220916-203019.jpg

Crop circles?? Nah, just the Hornet doing its thing..20220916-193951.jpg

• Like 8

@Juhunio I start with 2 very light coats. Following coats are heavier. I check after every coat by holding the body to the light to see if and where light peeks through. There are at least 8 coats of PS-2 red paint on this now and if the cans weren't empty I'd put on another 1 or 2 before backing it in black. Now I'm thinking of backing it in white before backing it in black to avoid darkening the red by the black backing. I don't know if it's because the paint is thin but the coverage was below my minimum expectations. I painted the Porsche body in PS-21 park green and I only needed 1 can and that still has some paint left in it. Don't think the surface area of the body is so much more on the Defender as on the Porsche especially because the roof has no heavy coats of red on it.

And yeah I know I should finish that Porsche with decals and an interior :D

20220917_213511.jpg

• Like 3

I've been racing this weekend, 1:1 this time in the mighty Toyota that could. That car is amazing, just finished a continuous 24hour race and the only tool we had to pick up was a hammer, to hammer out the rear wheel arch when a 350Z decided there was room to pass between 2 cars, there wasn't. Spun me around onto the grass and put a dent in the rear which meant the wheel rubbed on some corners. Such a fun time, and the lack of sleep, night racing etc etc all just add to the experience. A great way to spend a friday and saturday, everyone should try it. 2 beers and then in bed at 8 for a 12 hour sleep too, which I also recommend.

@Willy iine great choice on electronics for the TRF420X, that hobbywing gear is brilliant. Aim for around 3.5FDR and the 21.5T will be faster than you expect. Are you doing a build thread? If you haven't bought the servo, check out the PowerHD B7. Its low profile, similar price to the Savox but its super fast.

@berman was that the Hobby Station track? Looks like a great meet. I really want to come check out those trucks when they have an event near me, which that was

• Like 5

6 hours ago, moffman said:

You'll be fine with lipos around the younger guys just treat the batteries with respect and they can take a bit of punishment they aren't nowhere near as dangerous as you would expect and I have this lipo in my monster beetle and it fits perfectly! Although it did do this to it on its maiden voyage:unsure:

20220917_172129.jpg

20210807_134114.jpg

Nice.   Will take a look when my current batts die. You need to change the decal to day V8.Lipo Turbo 😅

• Haha 1

Not sure if its necessary but i designed+printed a wheelie bar for the Blitzed DT03, id hate to scratch up the shell by doing a half backflip.

The reason being that i can lift the front wheels when pinning the throttle from reverse while on a somewhat slippy foam matt here in my living room.

Full throttle balloons the tires a little bit with this brushless motor.

IMG_20220918_003616.jpg.ecfccce6540d23991b101ea8341a4afd.jpg

Hoping for no rain tomorrow so i can go out for a test drive with the new motor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Follow the bear!!!

It’s been a while since I heard that slogan! 

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've been racing this weekend, 1:1 this time in the mighty Toyota that could. That car is amazing, just finished a continuous 24hour race and the only tool we had to pick up was a hammer, to hammer out the rear wheel arch when a 350Z decided there was room to pass between 2 cars, there wasn't. Spun me around onto the grass and put a dent in the rear which meant the wheel rubbed on some corners. Such a fun time, and the lack of sleep, night racing, gof etc etc all just add to the experience. A great way to spend a friday and saturday, everyone should try it. 2 beers and then in bed at 8 for a q2 hour sleep too, which I also recommend.

Mate, this sounds like heaven!!🤩🤩 

Glad you had fun👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziddan said:

Not sure if its necessary but i designed+printed a wheelie bar for the Blitzed DT03, id hate to scratch up the shell by doing a half backflip.

The reason being that i can lift the front wheels when pinning the throttle from reverse while on a somewhat slippy foam matt here in my living room.

Full throttle balloons the tires a little bit with this brushless motor.

Hoping for no rain tomorrow so i can go out for a test drive with the new motor.

That's a good idea.  Often times, my buggies tend to want to pop wheelies so that should come in real handy for saving your bodies.

For me, I had no time (and energy left) to do any RC related things today.. was busy hibernating one of my cars this morning and winterizing our lawn irrigation system with my contractor in the afternoon.. then was too tired to do anything so streamed a movie and show.  :D   Tomorrow I plan to work on installing the 2 Billy's in my Mini's.

• Like 1