Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've been racing this weekend, 1:1 this time in the mighty Toyota that could. That car is amazing, just finished a continuous 24hour race and the only tool we had to pick up was a hammer, to hammer out the rear wheel arch when a 350Z decided there was room to pass between 2 cars, there wasn't. Spun me around onto the grass and put a dent in the rear which meant the wheel rubbed on some corners. Such a fun time, and the lack of sleep, night racing, gof etc etc all just add to the experience. A great way to spend a friday and saturday, everyone should try it. 2 beers and then in bed at 8 for a q2 hour sleep too, which I also recommend.

@Willy iine great choice on electronics for the TRF420X, that hobbywing gear is brilliant. Aim for around 3.5FDR and the 21.5T will be faster than you expect. Are you doing a build thread? If you haven't bought the servo, check out the PowerHD B7. Its low profile, similar price to the Savox but its super fast.

Sounds like you had a blast out there!  :D

Thanks for the tip on the gearing and servo. I will check out that servo!   I don't do build threads as I don't have much online image memory..  :lol:   I will take pictures on the progress and post them up here.  (Actually I don't create new threads as I post enough bandwidth pollution with my plasticard projects.. ex: same seat backs over and over :ph34r::lol:).

edit:  Oooo~, that's a brushless motor servo.  I need to check this out for sure.  Thanks again!

edit2:  ordered!!  B)

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1

Took my TRF511 on its maiden voyage on the track! What a beast. I had the wrong tires and fought with understeer but man what a car. Sure footed in the corners, jumps nice and flat, and is very durable!

03F54769-D5ED-4657-853B-59D38099628A.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, GeeWings said:

It’s been a while since I heard that slogan! 

It’s been a while since I said it😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Willy iine 

@berman was that the Hobby Station track? Looks like a great meet. I really want to come check out those trucks when they have an event near me, which that was

Yes. Would have been all kinds of awkward if you had of left your co driver racing around the track while you p__ed off to go play with toy trucks for a while 😄

We will be having another one there, possibly before Xmas.

And I will thoroughly enjoy hearing stories of you trying to explain your new Tamiya Semi truck purchase (and all ancilleries), to Mrs Gillham... 

😄😄

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, berman said:

Yes. Would have been all kinds of awkward if you had of left your co driver racing around the track while you p__ed off to go play with toy trucks for a while 😄

We will be having another one there, possibly before Xmas.

And I will thoroughly enjoy hearing stories of you trying to explain your new Tamiya Semi truck purchase (and all ancilleries), to Mrs Gillham... 

😄😄

Well, we had 5 drivers so I could've just left them to it for a bit, but probably would've lost my sleeping slot. You probably saw the race on your way home. When you know when the next meet is could you send me a PM? Preferably a few weeks out so Mrs Gillham can have some IIPA's on the deck...

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Sounds like you had a blast out there!  :D

Thanks for the tip on the gearing and servo. I will check out that servo!   I don't do build threads as I don't have much online image memory..  :lol:   I will take pictures on the progress and post them up here.  (Actually I don't create new threads as I post enough bandwidth pollution with my plasticard projects.. ex: same seat backs over and over :ph34r::lol:).

edit:  Oooo~, that's a brushless motor servo.  I need to check this out for sure.  Thanks again!

edit2:  ordered!!  B)

A few people have said its the most fun you can have with your clothes on and i'm inclined to agree!

Hopefully you like the servo as much as I do, the only downside is they don't make one in blue. I'm not sure anyone sees it as pollution, your modelling skills are next level!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Well, we had 5 drivers so I could've just left them to it for a bit, but probably would've lost my sleeping slot. You probably saw the race on your way home. When you know when the next meet is could you send me a PM? Preferably a few weeks out so Mrs Gillham can have some IIPA's on the deck...

You all have a pozzy in the pit garage for sleeping? Or there's 5 seats in the car and you play musical chairs and all rotate one? 😄

Yeah will let you know 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, berman said:

You all have a pozzy in the pit garage for sleeping? Or there's 5 seats in the car and you play musical chairs and all rotate one? 😄

Yeah will let you know 😎

We had a caravan parked in the middle, but that was for 1 person, so if you had a chance you slept wherever you could. I did a stint in a reclined car seat (a Toyota RunX Z with 150kw atw! a mate went mental on it), another guy just put a mattress on our garage floor and had a kip, another put that same mattress in the disabled toilet (at 1am, no disabled people there at that time) and got the best sleep of all of us - 90mins straight! I managed about 90mins sleep over the race

• Like 2

Finished another TA02 this time the TA02W "wide" version with the red TA01 front uprights and wider rear two piece wheels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And with last weeks build;

spacer.png

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Frankster said:

Nice.   Will take a look when my current batts die. You need to change the decal to day V8.Lipo Turbo 😅

Its actually still in bits!  I took it apart to respray it and got side tracked with another build and for the life of me I can't remember which one? I'm guessing my stupidly expensive super hotshot which I bought second hand and it looked fantastic in the photos but not in the flesh:( I could have bought a unbuilt one with radio gear and battery for the price I paid for that to return to mint!

Work in progress. 

DFrZ2Ow.png

The face looks odd as is designed to have the other parts painted and stuck on. I've not idea what the scale or size of the real Kumamon is. Legs look odd still.

• Like 5

@Ziddan Have fun with the brushless setup. My motor and ESC look great and seem to run very nicely. Once I get my UBEC wired up I should be good to go. 

Today I found a possible solution to my missing suspension arm mount on my Ansmann x2 kit. I found a little model shop in Novi Sad, Serbia that has a small hoard of old Ansmann parts. Stock bits and some hop ups too. So I took a pint and ordered a couple of bits to justify the postage to the UK. Will probably get stung in duty fees etc but I will have a complete car! (Fingers crossed). So while I sit drumming my fingers waiting for European post, I am doing something shocking. 

JPEG image 4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me, working on platforms for Billy.. the M05 has the annoying servo arm from the rear so I need to make super low profile platforms with recess for Billy so that he does not hit his head on the ceiling. 

IMG_2022-9-18-120536.jpg.dc1e2564c11bdfd8a0fcb05d338347ac.jpg

IMG_2022-9-18-120551.jpg.455b4080757e033e6e12f31f0b3fbac9.jpg

Will post the other M05 when I get to it hopefully soon.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-18-152215.jpg.011e01723b9dbb79c3a510d5ae312838.jpg

Here is the other M05.. I forget the name of this version but it runs LiPo and BL. 

These Tamiya tires are huge!  :lol:

IMG_2022-9-18-153437.jpg.08ba4aff0b645c5adecc17641912b7b5.jpg

Finished the M05’s.. :D 

IMG_2022-9-18-155502.jpg.3bc833a075dd712276c01f77884ffa61.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 7

Added a Terra Scorcher rear wing to my Avanti-gator build and updated my build thread. The wing emulates the one on a Takara Gulltech

spacer.png

After I took the pic I finally got the tyres on the right way round, too :-)

• Like 4

I was watching some old rally footage the other night, when I suddenly realized that I never got around to painting the brake discs on my Lancia Delta. Not a big deal, but since I've been adding details to it I might as well do them. So between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I got it done.

20220917-171154.jpg

The car looks like business so low on the ground, too bad there's no running without wheels 😅20220918-145552.jpg

Second coat was dry by end of the day20220917-215532.jpg

Once installed, they're relatively noticeable from a close look, more than I thought anway20220918-124538.jpg20220918-124542.jpg

...but of course, can't really see it from the distance.20220918-124725.jpg

Now that it's done, a big part of me wishes I could summon up the courage to drive it in anger :unsure::rolleyes:

• Like 13

Following @provdes’s lead, I am attempting to sort of make a roof rack..

Wish me hope.. :ph34r:  The horizontal bar will be a little longer.. right now trying to figure out the mounts.. 

IMG_2022-9-18-173724.jpg.1fb61b4459cca7464b2fdfaf510eff87.jpg

IMG_2022-9-18-173738.jpg.27ceeaa0421907756e89c9bc8bcbf834.jpg

Update.. okay, got the mounts made.  They look like Lego pieces.  :D 

IMG_2022-9-18-193916.jpg.88afb6cfef7f70ea4c360dbb8678b845.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

@Willy iine that roof rack looks like it should work well.

I’ve got a good empty sprue that I think will be perfect for a little roof rack for my FJ45. Just need to get some good small screws. 

• Thanks 1

Tried to dial out a violent snap oversteer in my Optima Mid re re. A little girl came and watched and asked questions about what I was doing. 

She asked to be allowed to try it, so I let her, which was good that I let her try when I did as a motor wire came loose and that was all she wrote.

Last night i took the now brushless Blitzed dt03 for a spin.

It runs great, my fears of slow takeoff due to high kv were completly unrealized.

No wheelies on gravel or tarmac, didnt have any well mowed grass to try on. Wheelspins when launching, it might have the power for wheelies but not the grip.

I also made a little flag from magenta tape to go on the back in an effort to get laptrax colortrack working, it did very well, no issues until it started getting noticeably dark.

Im gonna design a mount for it so it can be removed without a screwdriver.

• Like 1

@Willy iine, I like the idea and your fabrication but that roof rack just isn't....scale. There, I've said it :ph34r:. The uprights need to be slimmer and extend down to the gutter (to which they would be clamped in IRL, if I remember correctly).

I think you would need to get brazing for something truly scale.

BUT if you're not aiming for scale but a Willy-style accessory I can chill out and go ..phew! Coz I'd be down with that. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

@Willy iine, I like the idea and your fabrication but that roof rack just isn't....scale. There, I've said it :ph34r:. The uprights need to be slimmer and extend down to the gutter (to which they would be clamped in IRL, if I remember correctly).

I think you would need to get brazing for something truly scale.

BUT if you're not aiming for scale but a Willy-style accessory I can chill out and go ..phew! Coz I'd be down with that. 

Thanks for the feedback!  B)

There are 2 smaller beams that go forward/aft that has the clamps for the feet I made, but I’m not there yet.  :ph34r:

The roof rack I am basing is off a modern MINI, as I am not a big fan of the roof basket on this car from way back when.. so it is not only not to scale, it does not exist.  :ph34r:

But the big part of my roof rack is not the rack itself so I made it have less character, if that makes any sense hopefully later on.. and it is a Willy comical theme.

IMG_2022-9-19-090114.jpg.36503f2cf565262c0abc3dcfa1b339e6.jpg

• Like 1

About to paint the body trim when I see dust in the crevasses of the body.  Tried wiping it off and realized it is sealed.  I must have wiped down the body after spraying the black and sealed it with flat clear.  Unfortunately I did not use lint free paper towel (grown men can cry 😭)

It is not visible at some angles but it’s driving my OCD nuts.  This is suppose to be a basher too…

Trying to figure out if I leave it “as is” or lightly sand and repaint 🤯.   Need to sleep on it

831539CC-0429-4FB8-A9A8-2E54B7A836A0.jpeg.661d30349be2875e09a4a2d051125b44.jpeg1FB88CCE-7676-416C-9DFD-F0C88ED1268B.jpeg.89f7bf82c6ed894c9e2dd436c0f2a27c.jpeg8AFD2A2A-3719-4D0B-8F77-3AF53D135027.jpeg.7e9da1a42ec33622d25a8f304838f6b3.jpeg

• Sad 2

Cut out some body shells this morning. Probably the most nerve wracking few hours Ive spent in the hobby. The lexan, particularly around the front and rear bumpers / splitters is ridiculously thin but fortunately stayed free of cracks after cutting and sanding. Im not surprised there arent many of these shells left if they been run more than a few times asi think just running over a few small stones would ruin them.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Had a brief run around the garden and then this happened as it was turning! Found the bits and put it back together but seems a bit of a weak to me!

having said that, I find this car flips a lot in corners so it’s probably my driving (again).

BC169202-47FC-46E6-95BB-1292EBEB60DC.jpeg

• Sad 1