Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Frankster said:

Would love to see the progress.  Question, would you add a servo to raise the body?   Or raise the chassis?

Now that's a cool idea.  For certain running a flatter chassis is much more suited for this kind of lowrider project..!  

I'm going to be painting those Pajero aero bits today and while it dries, will see if I can lower the CC01 suspension some more... I want to drop it another 5mm or so but I don't think I can.

In other news, ordered LED's (yes, that's right :lol:) for my Hakosuka GTR that should arrive later in the week.. that's the only hop up I plan to do on the car..  And I think that pretty much satisfies touring car series for me.  I don't have much space so will just do that and the 420X and build the the custom SandScorcher street version.   I need to see if I have enough Futaba receivers though as my on roads all run off my old 4PKS-R.. and those FASST receivers with built-in antenna's are hard to find new..

Update.. prepped for paint.. a mangled mess.. :blink: 

IMG_2022-9-28-085431.jpg.737924eb8f31ecb51606c388061a7d32.jpg

Update.. fresh off the drying stand..

IMG_2022-9-28-110814.jpg.c381ec1d594e2df31b71ad056db791ec.jpg

IMG_2022-9-28-124352.jpg.6d74dfdffe9c5cecf0377c9acf30c303.jpg

Finally starting to look the part…

IMG_2022-9-28-120110.jpg.de66d3c741d8095157f1971fd7de65e0.jpg

Will post more pictures in the gallery thread later.. B)

IMG_2022-9-28-120721.jpg.d7fce4cf9c8530aa0d30e7db8d6d19ab.jpg

Final update for this car.. pictures posted in the galleries only thread.  Please check them out if interested. 

I want to thank @Badcrumble once again for the ideas and believing in my hope injected techniques.. :ph34r:   I hope the car makes you proud!  B)

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Interesting idea - I'd not considered it as I'd been thinking purely as a low, smooth tarmac-oriented drift truck. I've seen some body-raising work on builds on another site I frequent - will take another look.

Edit: progress is a half-trimmed body and two TL-01s in bits!

8E1B3C2B-4362-4782-865B-6747D489605E.jpg

68C959CF-4F22-4857-AFFA-CD9CDD873F8F.jpg

The inspiration:

D9D18CC1-E508-441B-AF62-A5EF8C326130.jpg

Nice.  I have to ask why two TL-01’s?

Today I built a little Deans adapter to feed power to the TLU-01 in my CC-02. 

2022-09-28_03-04-46

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Dual motor and 4wheel steering?!?!

Nothing so fancy, 4WD if I can get a prop to fit.

I have plenty of other dual motor and 4WS cars :D

New turnbuckles in the DT-03 and sort of set up, I’m not great at that but. New pinion, Sport Tune from another car and a regrease of the gear box. Finally some new oil in the dampers. I got ten minutes worth of running  before the rain came in and it was great. Much more planted with less bounce, some more slight adjustment to the front perhaps.

Now, do I want uni-drive shafts?

3B2AC9CF-1EE6-41B7-8994-7942D28C5C9B.jpeg

• Like 4

@Willy iine as I said in the pics only comments thread, your latest creation is looking great.

Also I just saw this on FB. A shell being developed for the GF01:

595BFAB6-80AC-4340-A611-FB29633E98E7.jpeg.40d6ffab669ee16da793543e92ceaf04.jpeg

005FD40D-AFD5-474A-ACF1-26E0AD72C52F.jpeg.a508c4d716c1b5f3ea48984b3f82983d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, GeeWings said:

@Willy iine as I said in the pics only comments thread, your latest creation is looking great.

Also I just saw this on FB. A shell being developed for the GF01:

595BFAB6-80AC-4340-A611-FB29633E98E7.jpeg.40d6ffab669ee16da793543e92ceaf04.jpeg

005FD40D-AFD5-474A-ACF1-26E0AD72C52F.jpeg.a508c4d716c1b5f3ea48984b3f82983d.jpeg

Thanks again.  B)

LOL, that Evo looks super cute!  :D   Do you like it?   For some reason some cars are better left regular length?  :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick-W said:

New turnbuckles in the DT-03 and sort of set up, I’m not great at that but. New pinion, Sport Tune from another car and a regrease of the gear box. Finally some new oil in the dampers. I got ten minutes worth of running  before the rain came in and it was great. Much more planted with less bounce, some more slight adjustment to the front perhaps.

Hey Nick-W when you say uni-drive shafts, are you referring to universals?  If so, it's not really necessary on a RWD unless you're running hot motors where the vibration can potentially work against the car.  Universals and constant velocity joints are great for front drive axles on a FWD or 4WD chassis to minimize vibration/rattles while turning.  I mean it's completely up to you, but my DT02 runs factory dog bones (Sport Tuned motor)  and no plan to swap them.

IMG_2022-5-11-150535.thumb.jpg.cf474f051b7d90abc09baf7ac1065e6e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks again.  B)

LOL, that Evo looks super cute!  :D   Do you like it?   For some reason some cars are better left regular length?  :lol:

I’m not sure. I like it from certain angles. 
I definitely like the idea of more shells being available for the GF01.  Although I have so many already and really told myself I would only get one more (I’ve bought another since then) ;) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

I’m not sure. I like it from certain angles. 
I definitely like the idea of more shells being available for the GF01.  Although I have so many already and really told myself I would only get one more (I’ve bought another since then) ;) 

Yeah, I think that top view of the mold looked good.  I agree, the GF01 is also my favorite plastic housing chassis so the more bodies is definitely welcome!  I have a bunch of unfinished red LandCruiser 40pickup pre-painted bodies as I only wanted the chassis and those red ones were on sale at TamiyaUSA for real cheap last year.  I must have like 5 or 6 of them laying around.  At one point I was thinking I will do a Willy military version by painting it olive drab from the outside, but noticed I already used up all the GF01 chassis.  :lol:

This was last Sunday, but I only sorted out photos and footage today.

I wanted to "level up" on my bashing this time, so I took the cars to an old BMX track which is almost perfect for rc. I haven't been there in a long time, since before Covid, but luckily the track was not only still there, but also completely deserted so that I could have it all for myself. This photo portraits the oval quite well, the jumps are relatively high but you can't really tell by this angle.

20220925-171548.jpg

A couple of hours of big fun followed. I ran the Manta Ray and the Hornet and, while taking it easy on the throttle with the latter, I really flew the Manta all the way up to the heavens -and luckily landed it back on the rubber side each time! 😅.

20220926-232057.jpg

Can't really tell by the pictures, but that day might be the highest I've ever jumped her. The longest, for sure. And the car came back nicely in one piece, and also won the postal racing this month:ph34r:, not too shabby for her current state (that is, in need pf a heavy facelift soon). More pics of the outing will be in the Photo only thread.

Screenshot-20220926-205306-Video-Player.

20220928-192816.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-225427-Video-Player.

20220928-192835.jpg

20220927-192025.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-205511-Video-Player.

The Hornet wasn't shy either... maybe it pretended to be an RC10 🤔😁

20220928-192557.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-230656-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20220925-183027-Video-Player.

20220928-192715.jpg

• Like 6

Finished sanding and taking the factory shine off the SS body and stuck the drivers head together

1809CC1C-B932-4250-B459-3A22496E9EEC.md.

I was toying with a kind of  40th Anniversary Porsche Jagermeister take on it for a Street Scorcher but I'm now thinking on something with a bit more custom Retro Jager for it now as I couldn't quite get to grips with this body in the Red/Orange for some reason.

Also wondering how people attach the Sun Roof on these so they are slightly open? Pointers/suggestions appreciated there please 😃

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 5:27 PM, berman said:

Today at dawn I went up Mt Maunganui again (3 days in a row), then after a coffee treat, I went down the beach a bit and depleted 2 4000mah batteries in my raggedy old Lunchbox.

Then went home and got the DT03 going, and punted that around the garden. Think a faster motor, faster servo, and some better front tyres could be on the cards for that one.

:Edit:

Also a video of our truck meet last weekend...

Some tasty heavy metal in there mate 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Finished sanding and taking the factory shine off the SS body and stuck the drivers head together

I was toying with a kind of  40th Anniversary Porsche Jagermeister take on it for a Street Scorcher but I'm now thinking on something with a bit more custom Retro Jager for it now as I couldn't quite get to grips with this body in the Red/Orange for some reason.

Also wondering how people attach the Sun Roof on these so they are slightly open? Pointers/suggestions appreciated there please 😃

I make angled rails(?) and just mount the lid on that. No engineering fancy things going on my cars…unfortunately.. no wows.. :ph34r:

GL with your project!  :D 

IMG_2022-8-16-213328.jpg.8975007dd54fe17049d8a163f4e8c84c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@berman @Jonathon Gillham @Willy iine I'm happily married with teenage kids and I'll tell anyone who sits still long enough about my RCs (and Japan) if I can somehow shoehorn it into the conversation! I'm out in fresh air, often socially, and creating and fixing things in this throwaway world we live in... I've yet to hear a compelling argument that it is any sillier than walking around hitting a small, white ball! If you enjoy your hobby, your whole demeanour changes when you are discussing it - people see your enthusiasm, you speak more confidently (because you probably know what you're talking about), and as long as you don't bang on and take yourself too seriously, people (even the female variety) will find your joy and enthusiasm endearing. It can be a conversation starter, just don't make it the whole conversation!

@GeeWings I saw that Evo body on the Tamiya GF01 WR02 Facebook group this morning, and thought it would look great with the right R31House wheel/tire combo. A guy at work has an Evo7, it gave him a chuckle!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Interested to see the final prod 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

This was last Sunday, but I only sorted out photos and footage today.

I wanted to "level up" on my bashing this time, so I took the cars to an old BMX track which is almost perfect for rc. I haven't been there in a long time, since before Covid, but luckily the track was not only still there, but also completely deserted so that I could have it all for myself. This photo portraits the oval quite well, the jumps are relatively high but you can't really tell by this angle.

20220925-171548.jpg

A couple of hours of big fun followed. I ran the Manta Ray and the Hornet and, while taking it easy on the throttle with the latter, I really flew the Manta all the way up to the heavens -and luckily landed it back on the rubber side each time! 😅.

20220926-232057.jpg

Can't really tell by the pictures, but that day might be the highest I've ever jumped her. The longest, for sure. And the car came back nicely in one piece, and also won the postal racing this month:ph34r:, not too shabby for her current state (that is, in need pf a heavy facelift soon). More pics of the outing will be in the Photo only thread.

Screenshot-20220926-205306-Video-Player.

20220928-192816.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-225427-Video-Player.

20220928-192835.jpg

20220927-192025.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-205511-Video-Player.

The Hornet wasn't shy either... maybe it pretended to be an RC10 🤔😁

20220928-192557.jpg

Screenshot-20220926-230656-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20220925-183027-Video-Player.

20220928-192715.jpg

Jealous!!!!

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I make angled rails(?) and just mount the lid on that. No engineering fancy things going on my cars…unfortunately.. no wows.. :ph34r:

GL with your project!  :D 

IMG_2022-8-16-213328.jpg.8975007dd54fe17049d8a163f4e8c84c.jpg

I just used a small strip of plasticard in the middle at the back. It looks like the latch you get on the old glass roofs. Have to say @Willy iine’s idea is probably better for a steel roof.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nick-W said:

3B2AC9CF-1EE6-41B7-8994-7942D28C5C9B.jpeg

Nice! Going good! I'm going through similar steps with my DT03 (I've had two DT02s in the past) and ordered some rib spikes for the front, and a Tamiya XF wing (the original was obliterated), but was thinking about those turnbuckles and need some dampers, but there aren't any in my country, unless I want the uber expensive DF-03 alloy ones.

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Some tasty heavy metal in there mate 👍🏻

Thanks. I assume you're just talking about my trucks, and will gladly take all the glory 😄 

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@berman @Jonathon Gillham @Willy iine I'm happily married with teenage kids and I'll tell anyone who sits still long enough about my RCs (and Japan) if I can somehow shoehorn it into the conversation! I'm out in fresh air, often socially, and creating and fixing things in this throwaway world we live in... I've yet to hear a compelling argument that it is any sillier than walking around hitting a small, white ball! If you enjoy your hobby, your whole demeanour changes when you are discussing it - people see your enthusiasm, you speak more confidently (because you probably know what you're talking about), and as long as you don't bang on and take yourself too seriously, people (even the female variety) will find your joy and enthusiasm endearing. It can be a conversation starter, just don't make it the whole conversation!

@GeeWings 

I didn't hesitate when I was spoken for, I honestly didn't care what others thought. But the burning reality is, is that I may have to go uhh... 'back on the market' so to speak, in the future, and I'm not sure my 'pull game' will be strong with a little toy car on the rocks, especially where the girls that run go past.

Normally the calibre and frequency of the fairer brethren, is of a much higher standard around the Mount than further down, where I go with the lunchbox, where it's normally just a strolling Reginald and Doris, and their spoodle. 

Today I got a MG servo from my LHS, (should have bought one for the DT03 as well), and fitted that and the servo saver to my Arrma Granite, after I accidentally pryed the servo saver apart, and spent FAR too much time, trying to get the spring back inside the darn thing! 

3 minutes ago, berman said:

Thanks. I assume you're just talking about my trucks, and will gladly take all the glory 😄 

There where other Trucks there?!?

Wow can’t say I noticed them,  I’d better watch it again as they must have paled into insignificance 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Hey Nick-W when you say uni-drive shafts, are you referring to universals?  If so, it's not really necessary on a RWD unless you're running hot motors where the vibration can potentially work against the car.  Universals and constant velocity joints are great for front drive axles on a FWD or 4WD chassis to minimize vibration/rattles while turning.  I mean it's completely up to you, but my DT02 runs factory dog bones (Sport Tuned motor)  and no plan to swap them.

I was referring to universals. That’s great to know. I don’t think I’m going to go any further with the motor, it seems pretty suited to the car. Thanks a lot for the info.

Your DT02 looks great. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, berman said:

Nice! Going good! I'm going through similar steps with my DT03 (I've had two DT02s in the past) and ordered some rib spikes for the front, and a Tamiya XF wing (the original was obliterated), but was thinking about those turnbuckles and need some dampers, but there aren't any in my country, unless I want the uber expensive DF-03 alloy ones.

The rib spikes are still in my online basket on Modelsport. They look very cool, but the order was getting expensive. This is only my second car since getting back into the hobby. I brought a DF03 back in February but I think I’m enjoying the DT03 more. Such a characterful car.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nick-W said:

You are unlikely to want universals, but you may want the all-metal dogbones, outdrives and axles as supplied with the Sand Viper and Desert Gator. Their smaller diameter permits greater suspension droop without fouling the lower arms, allowing you to get more out of your upgraded dampers when you fit them. 

• Like 1