Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I get you completely!  But its sometimes good not to have bling and keep the focus on the entire car.(?)  :D   A logo would be nice however.. but engraving adds to cost I suppose, for a part one can’t see..

Yeah that's a good point! And as Jeremy Clarkson would say..........."However"!...additional cost they cost more than enough to engrave a symbol or something like coloured differences? And I always forget it has that upgrade simply because they are exactly the same as the original ones :D

20221009_120933.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I also forgot I got these cam-locs made which has an inscription on them "avante 30 years of being nuts" which look quite cool and different?

20221009_125243.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Frankster said:

Would your design work on stock Tamiya buggies?   My son’s TT-02B keeps losing these. The front bumper is too soft and pushed into the retainer cups on impact.  Together with his friend, they have lost about 7 cups.

Do you mind sharing the design and I can get it printed locally   

It might work. The SMT has long shocks but they look to be a fairly standard diameter. The hole for the rod ends to fit into is 6mm and 5mm deep, the piston shaft hole is 4mm and the seat lip is for a 13.5mm spring.

SpringCup.zip

• Thanks 1

Bit more progress with the 205 T16. Just waiting for paint to dry on the mud flaps and tow hook before fitting. Then have the fun of getting the large spoiler to fit on the rear. Still a long way to go..........

iEjoWw1.jpg

IoYhL65.jpg8ANGkGR.jpg

• Like 18

I managed to get a couple of hours to myself today to start on the Astute 2022 TD2. This is the first time I’ve built a hex kit and the first time I’ve built a slipper clutch. 
I only got through part A so hopefully I’ll get a couple of free evenings this week. 

5D686650-CDA2-4F58-AF9A-2943640835A6.jpeg

5EBEE95D-4F83-4395-938D-8DE0C2FCE192.jpeg

489F1316-8349-49CC-9FD9-53F2806FE914.jpeg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Tobyone said:

Bit more progress with the 205 T16. Just waiting for paint to dry on the mud flaps and tow hook before fitting. Then have the fun of getting the large spoiler to fit on the rear. Still a long way to go..........

8ANGkGR.jpg

Beautiful! Is that an L&L shell? If so you’re working wonders with it 👌

• Like 1

Today I turned this…

spacer.png

Into this…

spacer.png

It had been built beautifully and, I reckon, quite recently based on how clean the grease was in the gearboxes

A few parts to go in the ultrasonic cleaner, almost enough bearings in stock to replace the kit bushings and waterproof electronics on the way, so hopefully I should be able to rebuild it next weekend 😃

• Like 14

8 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah that's a good point! And as Jeremy Clarkson would say..........."However"!...additional cost they cost more than enough to engrave a symbol or something like coloured differences? And I always forget it has that upgrade simply because they are exactly the same as the original ones :D

20221009_120933.jpg

I was a bit surprised when my TFEvo didn't even come with aluminum hex with locking bolt.. I ended up buying a set from Tamiya's hopups portfolio.  Definitely nice to know you got cool aluminum hex on your special cars.   :D 

So I hibernated my last 1:1 hobby car this am, so this means my RC season officially started.  I am going to start prepping to build the Optima MID later today.   Will atleast gather the option parts with the kit as it's been months since getting the kit so I forgot what hop ups I got.  :lol:  I know I have enough hopups to do 2 cars.  I think I'm going to do a yellow one first.

I am still scratching my head whether to get the Inferno MP9..

Update.. so I was looking inside my Optima MID box and quickly realized the yellow wing decal was not a good match with PS19 Camel Yellow.. Do you know which lexan paint I should use?   TIA!  

My other option is since I like PS19, just paint the wing TS56..

IMG_2022-10-9-154359.jpg.6f0c7cd190b8a2c6f2564892f0557781.jpg

The LandCruiser is painted PS19, yet the finished color actually looks closer to TS56..

IMG_2022-10-9-154431.jpg.e770efaf4f7b20a7dd40d7bc2b50ce78.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

So in prep for my Optima MID build, I spread out the box of parts I bought for my cars.  So the left side will be mainly Kyosho hopped parts car and right side if I chose to build the second one using misc hop ups. which I would probably run the yellow body..(?)   Anyway, I will start off with the left side chassis and decide which color scheme I will go with.  

IMG_2022-10-9-161052.jpg.276921a4c42d0ec577578c98945bf699.jpg

• Like 3

Got started at my XV-01 build and finished A, B and C bag. (step 17) Start tomorrow on step 18 withthe D bag.

20221009_234747.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I was a bit surprised when my TFEvo didn't even come with aluminum hex with locking bolt.. I ended up buying a set from Tamiya's hopups portfolio.  Definitely nice to know you got cool aluminum hex on your special cars.   :D 

So I hibernated my last 1:1 hobby car this am, so this means my RC season officially started.  I am going to start prepping to build the Optima MID later today.   Will atleast gather the option parts with the kit as it's been months since getting the kit so I forgot what hop ups I got.  :lol:  I know I have enough hopups to do 2 cars.  I think I'm going to do a yellow one first.

I am still scratching my head whether to get the Inferno MP9..

Update.. so I was looking inside my Optima MID box and quickly realized the yellow wing decal was not a good match with PS19 Camel Yellow.. Do you know which lexan paint I should use?   TIA!  

My other option is since I like PS19, just paint the wing TS56..

IMG_2022-10-9-154359.jpg.6f0c7cd190b8a2c6f2564892f0557781.jpg

The LandCruiser is painted PS19, yet the finished color actually looks closer to TS56..

IMG_2022-10-9-154431.jpg.e770efaf4f7b20a7dd40d7bc2b50ce78.jpg

Oh I tried all different paints from tamiya, testors, core rc and none of them come close to the yellow on the wing decals so I went for a burnt orange and cut the yellow off the decals so only the blue was left!

20220625_171757.jpg

• Like 6

Got the new Traxxas rear body mount and Axial molded parts for the XJ body today, also picked up some Traxxas Racing Green to shoot it with.  Need to clean and mask it, but that will be for after dinner and painting will be for a different day

FullSizeRender(186).jpg
FullSizeRender(185).jpg
019338F6-5982-451F-BAE6-54DF5D31C66B.jpg
2FCDB6FE-9711-4D06-88E2-EAF28798DBDA.jpg
EEB5440E-28F5-42B5-99DB-FB6EABB6C63E.jpgu

• Like 7

6 hours ago, moffman said:

Oh I tried all different paints from tamiya, testors, core rc and none of them come close to the yellow on the wing decals so I went for a burnt orange and cut the yellow off the decals so only the blue was left!

20220625_171757.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Your car looks good.  I think I may just make a white one box art first.. just to be safe.  :lol:  Haha.

Made some progress today.  I am sure people are relieved I am not posting Willy's garage accessories for a change..! :ph34r:  :lol:

IMG_2022-10-9-193913.jpg.7acacaad593a6e730af5a832b6b42252.jpg

IMG_2022-10-9-193939.jpg.7ff92c40ae992dceb15202c068af28fb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Beautiful! Is that an L&L shell? If so you’re working wonders with it 👌

Thanks @Juhunio. Yes its the L&L one, I would say its one of the better ones.

• Like 1

Not sure if this should go into the postman thread or this one. 

Unpacked the largest PJ to SG order to repack them to bring them home. 

0GSw7Z6.jpg

Layer 1

qXkjT5w.jpg

Layer 2

h4ZCoj1.jpg

Layer 3

• Like 4

I finally had some time to do a little RC car work. My son and wife have both been a bit sick, and I've been making his nursery, so free time has been in short supply. However last night I was able to find a little time to finish off a build whilst watching LOTR show on Amazon prime. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I might, it's no LOTR, but about a billion times better than the Hobbit films and easy to watch without thinking too much. 

Anyway, on with the truck. The body is from a Radio Shack 4x4, and the truck is a QD monster truck. This was the final car in my current collection that needed serious work. I think for now I'll focus on driving these around a little before embarking on any new cars or projects. 

The QD MT bodies are attached with an M3 bolt at the rear end and a tab at the front that slots in place under the bumper. I really liked the idea of utilising the original mounting system - which meant I could mix and match with any other QD monster trucks. 

The bed was looking pretty sorry for itself after multiple mounting holes (and holes for charging port, light, roll bar and on-off switch from the original), so I cut it out completely and 3D printed a new bed and L brackets. This new bed has holes to allow the suspension shafts to punch through. In retrospect 3D printing wasn't the best choice for this piece as it kept warping as printed. cutting out of plastic would have been much easier, but it did mean I could put in all the holes exactly where I wanted them. Next time perhaps I'll try to work out how the get the laser cutter working. I think The black bed looks great, a real visual improvement, this is actually the underside of the print, as I liked the texture from the printing raft. 

770BMBE.jpg

The front of the car also had a new mount attached. I designed and 3D printed a front mount which also keeps the grill in place. This piece was perfect for 3D printing, and would have been tricky to make neatly another way. 

d6wwO6b.png

nrtIa11.jpg

Bolted back together and all done.

The chassis has all hex hardware. The gearbox has nuts on the other side of bolts, as the plastic thread had worn through. Like with my other QD I've changed the wheels to 12 mm hex - widening the track width in the process, which makes it much less prone to roll overs. 8 x AA batteries provide the power still, but now power a modern brushless ESC and receiver. I am using a HW 2030 18T motor, which gives much greater speed than the original but nothing insane. 

VGTkwuP.jpg

These QDs are great -  nice size, robust, simple engineering and with two solid axles, handle just like a vintage MT should. These gearboxes and gears are pretty bulletproof so can take quite a lot of power as well and there are spares available.

They are also very mechanically simple so there's little to break, and not too worried about driving in dust or dirt.

hMJIG0Z.jpg

And here t is alongside my other QD. The Pumpkin has the faster motor (12T), but I may switch this around, and the new red truck will have a lower COG and looks a little more racy. 

I may also try and pick up a lexan body so I can take to the BMX track or push a little harder.

• Like 10

@Nikko85 nice work!  You're really accelerating in the 3D printing designs!  :D 

For me, continuing on with the Optima MID build today.  Goal is to finish the chassis today.. B)   Today is my last day of my late summer vacation.  

Update.. just progress report.   Very nice kit for sure, everything fits perfectly.   So far no missing screws.. :lol: :ph34r:

IMG_2022-10-10-095649.jpg.d8c7600be0dffae007e964d5c294204b.jpg

Update.. basically the fundamentals are done, will do the electronics this afternoon.  :D

IMG_2022-10-10-115055.jpg.297876c60d3cbc836f84e7e2b52ce79c.jpg

Update.. electronics installed.   I had to shim the upper deck by one washer to clear the servo horn off the 1252MG I am running.  Also the servo to servo saver linkage should be about 26mm gap (vs 24mm) for this servo incase someone wants to try the same servo..

I just hope that the body fits no issue.. :ph34r:  will find out maybe tomorrow.  

Passed bench test.  :D 

IMG_2022-10-10-173754.jpg.7b2dd60c1c33544391e2adfbeda0a0ea.jpg

IMG_2022-10-10-173807.jpg.e7ca686fbd316c07c2a66cafbcad5ae6.jpg

Swapped to T-connector before someone starts making a fuss.   :lol:

IMG_2022-10-10-201743.jpg.3b0988840349069a930d34e16fc9324c.jpg

Final update for today.. Tires glued to wheels.. just need to mount and test drive tomorrow.   :D   As you can imagine, I am super picky about how I glue my tires.  

IMG_2022-10-10-210001.jpg.b6e06fe5dd359c2335bd39e3e0058972.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 10

Went to the aforementioned truck show on the weekend. Had a great time and unfortunately didn't take any pics of our layout etc, but took a few pics of 1:1 trucks 🤦‍♂️

Also have now sold two of my five trucks, the Knight Hauler, and the Scania. Going to keep my Globe/ K100, MAN, and possibly my Grand Hauler.

So also stopped by my LHS and picked up this which I was paying off on lay-by.

kmA7JWf.jpeg

• Like 8

On 10/7/2022 at 11:24 PM, SupraChrgd82 said:

I indulged in another retro hobby by prepping parts to rebuild this ol’ girl.

9703FA72-A950-4314-9164-EF2336DD790B.jpeg

Nice, that's an iconic design from the early days of full suspension MTBs, very cool and will look great cleaned up. Hard to see from the pic but does it have hydraulic rim brakes?!? Usually you only see those on trials bikes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Nice, that's an iconic design from the early days of full suspension MTBs, very cool and will look great cleaned up. Hard to see from the pic but does it have hydraulic rim brakes?!? Usually you only see those on trials bikes.

Yes, sir!  It's a 1995 ProFlex Animal that is about 90% OEM.   Hydraulic rim brakes (Magura) came standard on it.  This one's getting a Manitou 4 and Shimao XT &  RaceFace retro components and a hydrodipped frame. 

3 hours ago, berman said:

Went to the aforementioned truck show on the weekend. Had a great time and unfortunately didn't take any pics of our layout etc, but took a few pics of 1:1 trucks 🤦‍♂️

Also have now sold two of my five trucks, the Knight Hauler, and the Scania. Going to keep my Globe/ K100, MAN, and possibly my Grand Hauler.

So also stopped by my LHS and picked up this which I was paying off on lay-by.

kmA7JWf.jpeg

That’s a ‘beast’ Neil great choice 👏

• Like 1