Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I have.a CW01 based Unimog which is the same chassis as the Midnight Pumpkin.. There is a diff pumpkin so difficult to get a definitive measurement, but I think it is 155mm.  I took the wheels off to measure..

IMG_2022-10-22-105609.jpg.1e5daeb24a3376d2a72c3f0c65d9819e.jpg

Many thanks, that's the exact same size as the QD width. Asking because for the QD I've put on GF01 wheels, but it's a little wider at the back than front. I was wondering if I might swap out the gearboxes with a regular Pumpkin, although the same width the benefit being that I can then use the pin + hex, not the splined 7 mm hex + 12 mm hex converter that pushes out the wheelbase.

29 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Many thanks, that's the exact same size as the QD width. Asking because for the QD I've put on GF01 wheels, but it's a little wider at the back than front. I was wondering if I might swap out the gearboxes with a regular Pumpkin, although the same width the benefit being that I can then use the pin + hex, not the splined 7 mm hex + 12 mm hex converter that pushes out the wheelbase.

No problem.  I use that plastic bearing you see in the picture as a spacer inside the wheel hex to push the wheels out.  

Not necessary, but for me appearance is a big deal on these funny cars.  :D  

• Like 1

Well yesterday I set out to buy an esc and servo for my tc01, all that I needed so all I was getting. I found the esc I want, put it in the cart, and clicked on checkout. So now I have two esc's, a motor, my first Kyosho kit, some Tamiya parts, and other random stuff on the way ^_^. Not sure what happened there but still need a servo so... ordered that today, and might have had a couple extra things find their way into that order as well :D. Now I'm off to spend the night figuring out how to cut out my vintage f1 body and try to paint it

• Like 3

I may have accidentally bought a used Juggernaut 2 for a special project... :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I finally worked up the courage to run my Lancia Delta on a Postal Racing course. And I'm so glad I did! The cars really drives well, I am once again pleasantly surprised by the TT-02, and it feels good to put her through her paces and forget about all the "what-ifs" for a while! Lots of fun, and again no tumbles or troubles. There will be more action tomorrow, I believe :lol:

20221022-175835-1.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Took apart the Madcap last night.   Filthy being stuck in storage and needed a good deep cleaning. 
51F638B3-0A02-41C0-A609-DD6D86DB8BC2.jpeg.4fb265eda0b2dc223f6f239391d6133a.jpeg8C8052DB-5417-4D3A-AAD0-D048FAD69D81.jpeg.6745ff38b4ccc4e11bb1f56da4c144ca.jpeg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ray_ve said:

I may have accidentally bought a used Juggernaut 2 for a special project... :blink:

Future build thread…?

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

No problem.  I use that plastic bearing you see in the picture as a spacer inside the wheel hex to push the wheels out.  

Not necessary, but for me appearance is a big deal on these funny cars.  :D  

Yes, it does make a big difference. I'm actually trying to bring my rear wheels in a little, again for appearance. They are a few mm proud of the front, and it somewhat bugs me.

In other news, I'm debating getting a Lunchbox or Pumpkin. I always wanted a full size one, never quite got round to it, and there are a load of 3D printed parts you can use to improve the design, including double wishbone front suspension.

I've got very little time off work now, but at Christmas I'll be taking a few weeks - so having a project would be brilliant.

• Like 1

Some ORV action at the playground today...

BF3 F9 F7

Coming in hot!

F8

A little too hot, but you know what they say...no guts, no glory ;).

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Cleaned up the Madcap chassis.  Unfinished items includes new 1680 ball bearings, new CVA dampers to replace the stock friction dampers, install ESC, receiver, paint and decals.  Will also be looking for an Avante cockpit and new front tires. 
5F97F12E-6500-43F5-84C1-07E1B1709F05.jpeg.9942082f57aee18c714dd465a42d7782.jpeg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Frankster said:

Future build thread…?

Very far future, so many dreams and unfinished cars.... :lol: A teardown thread maybe to see what it is that I have and what it needs.

But I now realised that it's been a while since I did any RC stuff, so I took Bullhead-Clod Big Bear off the shelf to see what body damage needs repair.

Just needs some glue to the grille, and new body posts, so I have the 3D printer fired up to make those. It also needs rollbar spotlights. Will see if a 3D model exists somewhere.

6 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Yes, it does make a big difference. I'm actually trying to bring my rear wheels in a little, again for appearance. They are a few mm proud of the front, and it somewhat bugs me.

In other news, I'm debating getting a Lunchbox or Pumpkin. I always wanted a full size one, never quite got round to it, and there are a load of 3D printed parts you can use to improve the design, including double wishbone front suspension.

I've got very little time off work now, but at Christmas I'll be taking a few weeks - so having a project would be brilliant.

My M38's have wider track on the rear and I thought that looked cool.. would be even cooler if staggered with wider wheels and tires on the rear, but I am sure cost played a big role.  :lol:  Not complaining.

That is a pretty intense debate considering you have a 1/14 Pumpkin you can display next to the CW01 version Pumpkin.. or have a different flavor car with the LunchBox along side your collection..  that debate might keep me up at night.. hahaha.

@HillbillyRacing Those bodies are wicked cool.   I especially like the one on the left.. like I am imagining that kind of body style in olive drab on a chassis with triangular side bars like the Hornet or Javelin, etc.. hummmmm..!

Definitely inspired.  Nice work!

For me, I received the custom made picture frames last night, so framed up the Optima MID posters this am.   Looks fantastic.  The dimensions are perfect.. . had I known this shop could make it with such small tolerance, I would've went with a thinner frame, but that's fine.  

I am going to see if I can get in touch with Kogawa-san again and ask if he would autograph both of them.  Maybe he can swing by my pretend RC shop when he is in town.. B)

IMG_2022-10-23-075719.jpg.123d1b5cb33f301d17100dad470479f9.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Well yesterday I set out to buy an esc and servo for my tc01, all that I needed so all I was getting. I found the esc I want, put it in the cart, and clicked on checkout. So now I have two esc's, a motor, my first Kyosho kit, some Tamiya parts, and other random stuff on the way ^_^. Not sure what happened there but still need a servo so... ordered that today, and might have had a couple extra things find their way into that order as well :D. Now I'm off to spend the night figuring out how to cut out my vintage f1 body and try to paint it

:lol: Haha!  Your post cracked me up because that is exactly what usually happens to me too..  I start stuffing the cart thinking I want to save on freight, but they ship free so not sure what the heck.  Then get surprised by the amount they want me to pay :wacko:.. but just pay it anyways.  :blink: 

At least the 1:1 car market will not be fully back until 2024.. gives me time to play with new RC cars until then.. but looking at how little I drive my 1:1 hobby cars the last few years, I may end up just playing with the cars I already own and keep playing with different RC cars.. I seem to get the same level of enjoyment admiring my RC in the conform of my pretend RC shop.. not like I drive a boring daily driver anyway. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

My M38's have wider track on the rear and I thought that looked cool.. would be even cooler if staggered with wider wheels and tires on the rear, but I am sure cost played a big role.  :lol:  Not complaining.

That is a pretty intense debate considering you have a 1/14 Pumpkin you can display next to the CW01 version Pumpkin.. or have a different flavor car with the LunchBox along side your collection..  that debate might keep me up at night.. haha

Yes! The Jeep I am making now will be 1/13, which is what the true scale of the Pumkin and Lunchbox are so they could go nicely. There is also the whole 3D print angle and mods which look fun to try.

I prefer the Pumpkin, but as I've got three in the QD size (in reality 1/16) the lunch box might be an option. Thinking of doing the stranger things Hawkins Light and Power on white, or the black version with custom vinyl.

However it'll be a christmas present to myself so got a while to decide. Might just not get anything as I have got a fair few now! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

:lol: Haha!  Your post cracked me up because that is exactly what usually happens to me too..  I start stuffing the cart thinking I want to save on freight, but they ship free so not sure what the heck.  Then get surprised by the amount they want me to pay :wacko:.. but just pay it anyways.  :blink: 

At least the 1:1 car market will not be fully back until 2024.. gives me time to play with new RC cars until then.. but looking at how little I drive my 1:1 hobby cars the last few years, I may end up just playing with the cars I already own and keep playing with different RC cars.. I seem to get the same level of enjoyment admiring my RC in the conform of my pretend RC shop.. not like I drive a boring daily driver anyway. 

Lol, yeah I do that often too. Tower always gets me with their coupons, whatever I’m buying is always a few dollars short of a coupon so I add something else, then add a little more to get the bigger coupon. Gonna buy it anyway might as well get it all at once and get more money off :lol:

Ive been spending a lot of time/money on my 1:1s lately even though barely drive any of them, actually ended up selling a few of them. I’m hoping to drive them more after winter but they’ll probably continue collecting dust while I play with the RCs, more variety with less hassle, and way cheaper to fix if you decided to hit a ramp at full speed :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Lol, yeah I do that often too. Tower always gets me with their coupons, whatever I’m buying is always a few dollars short of a coupon so I add something else, then add a little more to get the bigger coupon. Gonna buy it anyway might as well get it all at once and get more money off :lol:

Ive been spending a lot of time/money on my 1:1s lately even though barely drive any of them, actually ended up selling a few of them. I’m hoping to drive them more after winter but they’ll probably continue collecting dust while I play with the RCs, more variety with less hassle, and way cheaper to fix if you decided to hit a ramp at full speed :lol:

Yeah, those Tower coupons are addictive and not good for the wallet for sure.  :lol:  But I was very conservative today when ordering paint to replenish and some misc tools to enhance my productivity.  I used my SuperSaver credit so it did not cost much.

So this morning I decided to clean up my work desk as I have too many petty bolts/nuts in the little trays.  I placed like 40 or so of those Tamiya wrenches and hex wrenches in my recycle bin in the garage as well..   I don't know how I end up with so much petty bolts/nuts though.. because I have a stash of screws in my parts bins dedicated to each car or type.  

Anyway, getting myself ready to start the Turbo Scorpion build next.  

IMG_2022-10-23-115110.jpg.4122914e2c0bd7035e3500a5ed9dd346.jpg

• Like 2

Finished the polycarbonate running body for my Monster Beetle today as it’s been raining all day 😀

A11C1436-DF29-4DD2-A0BC-A827133CD040.jpeg

• Like 5

Some Hirobo love today...
NuyvHe8.jpg
A lot of work was done, it is still not complete (Tires are not glued, tie rods require replacement... ), but it is closer to the end... But in the meantime considering how it was when it arrived, i'm very happy with what it looks today 

• Like 6

Went to the local Pumptrack again… this time with my Optima MID! Had a blast (bad shots…Bad light.. my younger son was on the camera - no blaming at all - he did well!)

144CD1ED-DE7D-48F8-80B1-587B9179A0BA.thumb.jpeg.8f6e9071374b4a6314feddd1f502fc71.jpeg

• Like 6

Later in the day had to clean my Mid and took the occasion to switch some silver nuts with some nice black ones on my Avante BE 🤩

pic: on the steering

C5C46B63-126F-4911-AF36-1FACE32E408E.jpeg

• Like 6

So it's going to be another 7 months before I kick my son out of the room I will be expanding my pretend RC shop into, so decided to make some easels with corrugated plastic boards for free.  :lol:

IMG_2022-10-23-140535.jpg.ff70b54c9d78d79dbc7c2833d8b2679c.jpg

IMG_2022-10-23-140542.jpg.f2ec1341bc811bc916d7b7baa08c49c3.jpg

Going to make one more.  It's actually quite stable despite it being free and made using EWH technologies..:ph34r:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Anyway, getting myself ready to start the Turbo Scorpion build next.  

Can’t wait to see it, I’ve been wanting to get one myself for some time now but I keep putting it off and somehow it’s like the one thing I don’t just buy on a whim lol. 

As far as what I’ve done today, took some cars out, mainly to do speed runs but I forgot I haven’t fixed the P34 yet and Billy still doesn’t want to go fast, have to switch out the esc and/or motor and get him past 50mph.

8AA4F9CB-166D-46DF-A3B9-64B6E35B5A5D.jpeg.f751958bd7389885cb08c852984b9c39.jpeg

Since that wasn’t working decided to see what the ff03 could do, but the dog bone kept coming out whenever I gave it more than 1/4 throttle, so 30mph tops and couldn’t enjoy racing that around.

9A15429D-6ECF-49F7-B0B9-2183452EA88B.jpeg.2dc2ebe2f9f1b2a2d95ab1b3cce14996.jpeg

Had one of my Baja rays with me as well so I did a speed run with that while I was at the location, sounds like the gears are getting destroyed but at least it works so had some fun with that and might post the speed run later.

• Like 2