Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@ImALlama Dang, you really take your cars up to fast speeds!  I remember my mod touring car was going over 55mph on a huge track.. in order to actually race with that kind of power (not just doing fly-bys) took some life out of me each time.  :lol:  I think these days anything over 30mph is fast for me.  Hope you get your cars fixed soon!

@Tumbi That is some good air you got with your Optima MID.   Looks like you had a great time.  Avante looks good too.  

@Tamiyastef That's a good looking Defender.  How do you like MST chassis?  I saw a couple online RTR drift cars.  Looked pretty good, but never seen them close up. 

The x2 D parts tree turned up this morning that has been stalling this build, so my TA02 is now all bolted up as a TA02SW. Driver painted & just need to figure out the rear mounts for the SS body 🤔

A2660653-D572-4B55-AA3A-15F4D78E141E.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

The x2 D parts tree turned up this morning that has been stalling this build, so my TA02 is now all bolted up as a TA02SW. Driver painted & just need to figure out the rear mounts for the SS body 🤔

A2660653-D572-4B55-AA3A-15F4D78E141E.jpg

Magnetic body mounts?

• Like 1

I just finished my first Kyosho build, a custom Javelin. Here is a little fun teaser video. Can't wait to complete rest of video and share the finished build.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

So it's going to be another 7 months before I kick my son out of the room I will be expanding my pretend RC shop into, so decided to make some easels with corrugated plastic boards for free.  :lol:

IMG_2022-10-23-140535.jpg.ff70b54c9d78d79dbc7c2833d8b2679c.jpg

IMG_2022-10-23-140542.jpg.f2ec1341bc811bc916d7b7baa08c49c3.jpg

Going to make one more.  It's actually quite stable despite it being free and made using EWH technologies..:ph34r:

Nice job! Love the Poster 🤘🏼

Sooner or later you will have to open the shop…or make a museum! When I‘m near…i need to stop by!

• Thanks 1

I've gone down the rabbit hole of CW01 mods. I am debating getting one, and trying to mod it, but simply with 3D printed parts and basic engineering, nothing expensive or custom made (other than by myself). I don't quite see the appeal of getting a bad handling car and then spending as much again to make it handle ok, but doing the thinking myself could be quite fun.

Thinking double wishbone front suspension, new wheelie bar, and a few others.

3 hours ago, Frankster said:

Magnetic body mounts?

I’ve got an SRB roll bar for it to clip on to, I’d like to be able to keep the intended SS body compatible with  an SRB Chassis if possible & use the Orange one too. Some brackets off the shock tower should work, not really looked into it to much yet.  
Otherwise  Magnetics it is 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I've gone down the rabbit hole of CW01 mods. I am debating getting one, and trying to mod it, but simply with 3D printed parts and basic engineering, nothing expensive or custom made (other than by myself). I don't quite see the appeal of getting a bad handling car and then spending as much again to make it handle ok, but doing the thinking myself could be quite fun.

Build thread please!   I always wanted a LB and maybe my next project.  They are so inexpensive and easy to hop up.  Will look to you for ideas 🤗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I’ve got an SRB roll bar for it to clip on to, I’d like to be able to keep the intended SS body compatible with  an SRB Chassis if possible & use the Orange one too. Some brackets off the shock tower should work, not really looked into it to much yet.  
Otherwise  Magnetics it is 👍🏻

For my TT-02B Blitzer I used same mounting holes as the Monster Beetle.  I ordered the metal LunchBox aftermarket posts and they work fine.   

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine I love the CMX from MST. It's a bit like CC-01 on steroids without the side effects :D It's not a go everywhere and tackle everything without any effort kinda chassis but it has a small turning radius and works perfectly for any realistic obstacle considering the scale and for now without any hop ups.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

What a fun project!  If you do not mind having a styrene bracket that runs across under the rear window, that is how I have been mounting the comical SandScorcher bodies to the GF01.  It's just mounted to the top of the rear quarter panel wheel arch.  I used automotive grade mounting tape, but you can plastic cement it too if desired.  Once installed, honestly no one will notice it unless one was looking for it..even I was looking this morning how I mounted mine.  :lol:    My custom bodies and mounts all go through a tumble test on EVA foam (I roll the car up-side-down forward/aft and side to side) and the mounts have not failed.  

IMG_2022-10-24-084457.jpg.f5ef223ed26f1719abf94607b9c22acb.jpg

IMG_2022-10-24-084618.jpg.6aa46292c9b589c55e8e1ae4c9751805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I think the "bad handling" is what makes the CW01 chassis so much fun, personally.  Don't try to "fix" it... just run it as is and watch your face hurt from smiling so much!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I think the "bad handling" is what makes the CW01 chassis so much fun, personally.  Don't try to "fix" it... just run it as is and watch your face hurt from smiling so much!

For me it's the same.. CW01 is about fun and the only thing I changed on mine is adding a 3rd coil spring to the rear suspension and getting rid of those tensioner (?) springs that constantly broke after multiple jumps.  I can't remember whether the CW01 came with oil dampers, but I run Tamiya's oil dampers on mine.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Frankster said:

Build thread please!   I always wanted a LB and maybe my next project.  They are so inexpensive and easy to hop up.  Will look to you for ideas 🤗

I will have to finish my jeep first but sounds good to me!

5 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I'm never going to get something that handles like a buggy, but some ability to turn evenly, perhaps fall over less and reverse without squatting would be cool. The aim is not 'good' per se, just fun challenge to make it more drive able.

Designed a wire wheel to print but it was a total failure. Probably would've disintegrated on the car anyway even if it had worked with those thin wires.

46907a4e-2780-443c-b05a-d24d4b52e9d8.thumb.PNG.60cdfb65f888fdce70366daefd1e492c.PNGWire1.thumb.jpg.9c6f83b0e7723551f3ba11f56ca55de6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Against my better judgement ie cleaning my place, making sure i got everything packed and practicing some useful Japanese phrases to get by on my trip to Japan this coming november 1st. i decided to try and clean up the place  i left my 2nd hand ebay Taiyo Tyco Turbo 7 RC car for the past few months with the wings and body shell off. the black and red cage need repairs/replacement parts and the C ring steering servo were broken. it can drive but not steer. given its been sitting there for a while i dont recall where i left the possible replacement part manta or TT02 shock spacer that i can modify to possibly fit.

i looked at the biggest issue i had: removing the back cover body shell. turns out i was overlooking the fact only 1 self tapper held it. took it off then freed the red cage to get the top roll cage loose. it helped the top roll cage was broken from the red side cage on the bottom half. removed the 3 screws on the steering servo (side mount and center servo) and angled the 2 part servo saver to the side. need to locate my intended replacement part i put away ??? long ago. i hope to find the replacement C ring for the steering servo and mount it back on the servo. 

one of the side roll cage has a slight crack where the self tapper presumably bocks it in place. im considering some super glue?? to fill the crack but i cant make it a thick glue as it slide into a side hole where the screw enters from the bottom to secure the cage bars.

i have some teflon rods of a same diameter that need heating/forming and installing but that can wait a bit. the servo fix is more important right now.

Not sure if it was a pebble or a bump or crack in the road or a gust of wind, but the Brat took a 20mph tumble, landed on its roof with the wheels spinning, and now needs even more bodywork than before :wacko: (the chassis was totally fine, at least)

Immediately brought it inside and switched back to the 380 motor. I thought I could tame the ancient Twisters 540 but I was wrong, it will have to find a new home in a car that can handle the power. The Brat isn't a speedrunner, anyway.

wreck_01.jpg

• Sad 2

I didn't have much time to do any RC today unfortunately.  I was about to open my Turbo Scorpion kit when I got called to my work computer (WFH), then meetings after meetings.. by the time I was done, too tired to do anything so decided to try out the new crawler terrain I got today with my Mini-Z Jeep.  :D  Pulled out 2 tiles and drove on it for a bit.  Perfect for me.  

I think as long as I don't do any silly and unnecessary wheel spin, these egg carton-like tiles should last me a long while.   Good grip with the Mini-Z tires too, and no damage to the body when I accidentally rolled the car.  

IMG_2022-10-24-141918.jpg.83264cf5b074cad53eece5de5b7d0630.jpg

I saw that Kyosho is coming out with a Defender body.. I'd like to get that too down the road.  

@nel33 Just remember to say "domo" multiple times if you can't figure out what to say in Japan.   Domo has multiple meaning.. it can mean hello, bye, thanks, nice to meet you, good, or sarcastic bad, etc. 

• Like 2

i think i found a work around but like always, when you need good batteries you never seem to find them when needed... i tried a black plastic spacer for tt02 friction shock, it was too soft. i needed a stronger plastic. didnt have a suitable one of strength or size/diameter. i might have ruined 2 chromed lunchbox friction shock bodies. i cut a ring of the correct thickness from the top of one shock body and put a notch in it. it was slightly undersized but with a bit of gentle force i was able to fit it on the tyco servo saver. the gap was a bit too off  when stretched out so i sacrificed another one and the notch is better. its not the strongest possible material but on short notice it seems to work better. i think it will have sloppy steering (as things of those times??). wasnt able to find a good D battery even though i know i got 2 new ones hiding somewhere. i did get some decent steering response but 2 cycles killed the old D battery.  i put a few drops of krazy glue on the slightly cracked plastic red roll bar wiping off the excess soon after so it could seep into the crack before it dried solid.  dont think i can do more for that now but will put it on back burner.

now i put it back together, the roll cage repair will be put off until later.

@Willy iinethanks for the advice, i need to touch up on the common greetings and goodbyes. among other things.

4 minutes ago, nel33 said:

@Willy iinethanks for the advice, i need to touch up on the common greetings and goodbyes. among other things.

Yeah, just say domo~ with sincerety (slight head bow) if someone greets you.  Problem might be that they may think you're Japanese and start a conversation.. :lol:   haha

• Haha 1

Just now, Willy iine said:

Yeah, just say domo~ with sincerety (slight head bow) if someone greets you.  Problem might be that they may think you're Japanese and start a conversation.. :lol:   haha

i might be a mild weaboo (i like the culture but my place isnt white/red themed in a fanatic way) but i hardly can carry on a convo in Japanese.  my trip will mix anime, arcades and culture/museums. there are a few well known OG arcades the Mikado arcades  and other more recent chains. i plan to walk up the full Fushimi Inari mountain path/shrine, Tokyo tower and also see the naval museum in Kure city. a few Gundam related sites and some arcade racing games. hopefully the fall foliage will still be there when i get there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nel33 said:

i might be a mild weaboo (i like the culture but my place isnt white/red themed in a fanatic way) but i hardly can carry on a convo in Japanese.  my trip will mix anime, arcades and culture/museums. there are a few well known OG arcades the Mikado arcades  and other more recent chains. i plan to walk up the full Fushimi Inari mountain path/shrine, Tokyo tower and also see the naval museum in Kure city. a few Gundam related sites and some arcade racing games. hopefully the fall foliage will still be there when i get there.

Sounds like a fun trip.   No visit to Blockhead Motors or Tamiya/Kyosho shops?   Next time I am in Japan, I am going to see if I can shake hands with Paisen and his crew at Tamiya HQ if he's available.. I'd like to show them pictures of my pretend RC shop.  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Sounds like a fun trip.   No visit to Blockhead Motors or Tamiya/Kyosho shops?   Next time I am in Japan, I am going to see if I can shake hands with Paisen and his crew at Tamiya HQ if he's available.. I'd like to show them pictures of my pretend RC shop.  :lol:

unfortunately no. my trip in 2019 was a tour group so some places didnt have enough time to my liking. there are a few places i want to visit first too check them off my to do list. next trip hopefully will give me time to knock off a few places. i cant say im done with Hiroshima but the naval museum was a place i wanted to see. i will see the unicorn gundam in Odaiba, RX78 in Yokohama. next visit will be the NU gundam 93 in Gundam park/Lalaport . all of these are full scale models. once some places are checked off my list then the others will be done. there is too much stuff and not enough time to see it all in 2 trips. i find visiting 2-3 cities in 2.5 weeks is hectic enough.

i wish you luck in promoting your RC shop, Paisen will be proud of you. heck all you need is to invite customers into it though im not sure if you'd be willing to sell anything... you could do "shop tours" LOL

• Haha 1