Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, nel33 said:

unfortunately no. my trip in 2019 was a tour group so some places didnt have enough time to my liking. there are a few places i want to visit first too check them off my to do list. next trip hopefully will give me time to knock off a few places. i cant say im done with Hiroshima but the naval museum was a place i wanted to see. i will see the unicorn gundam in Odaiba, RX78 in Yokohama. next visit will be the NU gundam 93 in Gundam park . all of these are full scale models. once some places are checked off my list then the others will be done. there is too much stuff and not enough time to see it all in 2 trips. i find visiting 2-3 cities in 2.5 weeks is hectic enough.

i wish you luck in promoting your RC shop, Paisen will be proud of you. heck all you need is to invite customers into it though im not sure if you'd be willing to sell anything... you could do "shop tours" LOL

I see.  Looks like you're going to be very busy and going to have a blast.  There was an episode in James May goes to Japan series (Amazon Prime) where he drove (?) a full sized mobile suit.. not sure if related to Gundam, but something that probably excites Gundam fans?  :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I see.  Looks like you're going to be very busy and going to have a blast.  There was an episode in James May goes to Japan series (Amazon Prime) where he drove (?) a full sized mobile suit.. not sure if Gundam, but something that probably excites Gundam fans.  :lol:

i think i might need to check that James may episode... im sure its a very easy thing to operate........ ive been procrastinating on that top gear series.  i also need to check out the lighted manhole covers in Shibukawa, a few are Initial D related.

i see the robot he drove, it more of a mech than a human like form Gundam. the 2nd robot he had is not a gundam but its more of a grunt mobile suit :).

Thanks to @RC Perspective for the adapter v2.0. Works perfectly.

The last if the GT3B mods is complete, although now I’m eyeing a signal booster mod…

Tire lettering after dinner.  I realized I’m not very good at this but it came out ok.  Maybe one more touch up tomorrow after it dries…

VNUxWLj.jpg

• Like 7

Deep cleaned the Madcap body.  Other than a few scratches it is in good condition.

058EC6DD-9798-43C4-95DC-3347E29F8D5C.jpeg.4586050e7cb24206ab7bc1cfd6437dad.jpeg

Swapped 4 qty rear yellow dampers from TT-02B with my DT-03 Nissan Titan Redbull truck. Yellow goes well with the Redbull livery. The DT-03 black dampers will replace friction shocks on the Madcap.  Interesting the damper lengths for both vehicles are different (front and back).

B38B9EA6-14C9-4499-AE36-926261D01C68.jpeg.97c361995b9ca1fbb7b2cbc54403ba54.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Thanks to @RC Perspective for the adapter v2.0. Works perfectly.

The last if the GT3B mods is complete, although now I’m eyeing a signal booster mod…

Tire lettering after dinner.  I realized I’m not very good at this but it came out ok.  Maybe one more touch up tomorrow after it dries…

VNUxWLj.jpg

Tire lettering looks darn good to me bubba! I wish I had that steady a hand anymore LOL.

-RC Perspective

PS - I'll have some stuff for the forum real soon. Went from all the time in the world to tinker, to trying to fit the tinkering in LOL

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I see.  Looks like you're going to be very busy and going to have a blast.  There was an episode in James May goes to Japan series (Amazon Prime) where he drove (?) a full sized mobile suit.. not sure if related to Gundam, but something that probably excites Gundam fans?  :lol:

Wife and I had a Japan trip all planned out. Starting in Tokyo, Mt Fuji, snow monkeys, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Osaka, Nara over 3 weeks. Had rail passes and all hotels booked.

Wife was 7 months pregnant however and on the flight over she started feeling iffy. Spent 4 days  in Tokyo in and out of hospital, multiple baby scans and monitors etc and then we had to come back early.

Thankfully everything was ok health wise and the insurance paid out  for everything, but really want to go back and do the trip we had planned! 

Don't  think we'll have the opportunity for a long-time now!

The hospitals are great (weird queuing system for getting an appointment, an invoice and paying), but  really good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elbowloh said:

Wife and I had a Japan trip all planned out. Starting in Tokyo, Mt Fuji, snow monkeys, Kyoto, Nagasaki, Osaka, Nara over 3 weeks. Had rail passes and all hotels booked.

Wife was 7 months pregnant however and on the flight over she started feeling iffy. Spent 4 days  in Tokyo in and out of hospital, multiple baby scans and monitors etc and then we had to come back early.

Thankfully everything was ok health wise and the insurance paid out  for everything, but really want to go back and do the trip we had planned! 

Don't  think we'll have the opportunity for a long-time now!

The hospitals are great (weird queuing system for getting an appointment, an invoice and paying), but  really good.

Glad to hear your wife and baby are okay!  That's got to be pretty scary while in a foreign county, but good to hear you made it back safe and sound.  Hope your family has another opportunity to go there.  Honestly for me, it always ends up becoming a family, relative visiting tour and not much time for stuff I really want to do.. so I can go back any time, but part of me dreads it.  :lol:

JPY is 148-150 to the USD...time to buy!  B)

• Like 1

Made some iterations on inner fenders for my wrc / speed run project. 

The small food tuperware and v2 concept felt best. I will be using inner bike tubes to line the fenders & make mudflaps :)

Front pair is hard mounted to the body already, not pictured yet.

22795F6E-B899-4E87-A7E4-E6CF345C53F0.jpeg

C0974C06-5747-438F-B9CF-F922B94039EA.jpeg

0A55ECFB-2669-4AEA-94D2-5541371E901A.jpeg

2F23134A-0AC8-4C92-A9E8-74054BC7CA64.jpeg

7E252B46-7812-46EC-B8A8-AF0B2D9C3013.jpeg

64B9592B-C240-4A33-B8CA-B58FB1D7C529.jpeg

• Like 11

@technics cool idea!  Does paint stick well to those containers?

I use hard felt (available at arts and crafts stores) as they are easy to shape and mount. I use both screws and double sided mounting tape.  They also feel like wheel real liners on German cars.  

IMG_Oct292021at60714PM.jpg.0fe31d229f8ea2a7448c448e4d222d1c.jpg

• Like 3

I wrapped my light circuit. Mostly because it looks better down the A-pillars. The new result looks like the shell now has real A-pillars. The IRL effect is as subtle as it appears.

y4mlDlF8y94_F7W-50aFOs5RkvlWV9lm_zFWFftZ

y4mV29zRz6-cKnWSQ_s-gOdeipxr9U3zK9P-hdjK

y4mpZ0F_BOlxbfKdjTfX94OrjG5JRBzyCjxF3_8j

I appreciate that can all come out if (when) I put an interior in, but I'm pretty happy with it in the meantime.

• Like 6

Not much to report but it removed all the decals from my clod ready for its fresh paint job.

Clodbuster

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@technics cool idea!  Does paint stick well to those containers?

I use hard felt (available at arts and crafts stores) as they are easy to shape and mount. I use both screws and double sided mounting tape.  They also feel like wheel real liners on German cars.  

IMG_Oct292021at60714PM.jpg.0fe31d229f8ea2a7448c448e4d222d1c.jpg

I will give it a quick sand before paint, haven’t tried yet 

Hard felt. Interesting. Is it like pickup truck liner? I’m sure there’s an array of interesting materials to discover at the hardware / automotive store 😃. I went this route this time.  The cylinders were perfect diamter, maybe it will be my go-to fender Tupperware 😄

I think of going the black electrical tape route to cover up the transparent and flexible inner bike tube pieces cut to shape. This will seal up areas that can remain open now to make room for turnbuckles, dampers etc. 

I have electrical tape throughout the entire inside of the body hiding and sealing any glue and wiring I’ve layed out for the full lighting the Impreza has :) 

C662C9B3-C6AF-4F8D-9083-47ECE91F4EAC.jpeg

• Like 1

@technics Hard felt is like hardened 1:1 car carpeting..or similar to the ozite stuff indoor RC tracks use.  It can be cut with a knife, to give you an idea on the stiffness.  

Anyway, I got back from the office doing my money making gig today since my pretend RC shop has zero revenue and someone has to earn $$$ to pay for my RC... :huh:  

FedEx still has not arrived for the delivery today.  :wacko:  I am waiting on my golden motor for the Fantom.  

• Like 2

Opened a delivery today…ordered this motor for my Egress BE…lets see when he‘ll arrive! Hope this year 🥸

any experience with this motor:

DB06F0C6-8AAF-4AF3-A1B4-AB9EEAB9A0E8.jpeg

• Like 1

Haven't done a lot of RC this week - weather hasn't been great, the lake I boat at has had a blue-green algae outbreak(!) and after all the rain we're having everywhere is too damp to run... except the rocks for my Mini Z 4x4s... so

@Willy iine don't waste your money on the oil shocks for your Kyosho Mini Z 4x4, but thicker grease isn't a bad idea. The trick to these is weight distribution, pure and simple. Brass down low, front wheel weights, aluminium links etc and a bit of extra patience to let the weight transfer happen slowly as you're going over obstacles... they really are brilliant bits of engineering.

@Tamiyastef My little MST CMX has a habit of keeping up with TRX4s and SCX10s, once again it's about weight and a much better set of tires than the stock ones!

@Nikko85 The CW01 is great, because it's the complete antithesis of modern RCs with great handling. Oil shocks (I used Traxxas ones I had from an old Slash) and 3D printing the chassis brace is all you really need to do, but I did modify the body mounts because the stock ones snap and the metal "hop-up" ones snap the chassis (or the body).

• Thanks 1

@lsear2905 For now mine is on stock tires but I've put them on steel wheels. I'll see if I get frustrated by the limitations of the tires and then change for something with more grip. Do you run stock drive shafts? They have a reputation of twisting, bending and eventually snapping when used with weight down low and grippy tires... did you have any issues? 

Delaminated the motor in my Mojave...

I knew it was getting hot doing speed runs across the field, so was keeping an eye on it, or finger really, because I grabbed my turnigy temp gun, and it was switching off, so the battery in it was flat. Anyway I got sidetracked and started doing short burst launches trying to get a pic, and it just stopped, that's when I remembered I was meant to be watching it! 

Oh well, an order has been placed to Jenny's, and I will just have to wait. The irony is, I ordered a motor fan for it last week, and it should have turned up yesterday, but now it's a day too late 😄

11 hours ago, Ministrone said:

Not much to report but it removed all the decals from my clod ready for its fresh paint job.

Clodbuster

That's beautiful as is in orange, love the painted grille too! 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

@lsear2905 For now mine is on stock tires but I've put them on steel wheels. I'll see if I get frustrated by the limitations of the tires and then change for something with more grip. Do you run stock drive shafts? They have a reputation of twisting, bending and eventually snapping when used with weight down low and grippy tires... did you have any issues? 

No problems (after many years) of running on 2S with a 35T RC4WD motor. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:11 AM, lsear2905 said:

I went up the side of Mt Dandenong (east of Melbourne, Australia) with my MST CMX sporting a Tamiya CC01 body I bought at the Tamiya store in Tokyo. The other 3 guys had the new Axial Capra, which performed exceptionally well, but the little CMX on smaller tires did remarkably well. We discussed the recent CC02 release and we were all disappointed (as current/former CC01 owners) that Tamiya hadn't improved the IFS/solid rear configuration, instead of ditching it. The CMX also runs CFX rock sliders, a modified front bar from a HPI Venture, beadlock wheels with RC4WD tires and some eBay special lights and towhooks.

20191215111152_IMG_7627.thumb.JPG.49492347816a0436bce7285b5c707886.JPG20191215121322_IMG_7631.thumb.JPG.e35c2eb79b3f3080a40c7e2077776c5c.JPG20191215110253_IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.5f7e663d33c89a496077cb909d4dc7a9.JPG

@Tamiyastef I haven't had to update it since this... except I can now turn the lights and the spotlights on and off from my remote with a 3rd channel switch.

• Like 4

On 10/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, Willy iine said:

That's a fun idea to add parts off other bodies.  Keep up posted how things go.  Would you be using some plastic washers (and o-rings?)  on the 2mm screws so that they do not become the weak points of the body? 

Nothing too fancy, just straight out  screws locked with nuts. The screws have wide head so I don't use washer. I'm not sure of that connection longevity, but this is temporary until I can source new body that I like better.

20221026_064850s.thumb.jpg.4d948fce897c6700074af2d702a36b53.jpg

Anyway, it's done and I got to run it today. Briefly, as I ran into trouble. I may ask questions related to that in another thread. But here it is, I called it "Neo Fighter GG (Guts n' Glory)". Body post still working as planned but in practice it's hard to insert/remove the clip, oh well

.20221026_075420s.thumb.jpg.9cce867183727b1da42e8404174e4520.jpg

20221026_075402s.thumb.jpg.749efe8332396eb097d3ed086351fc0d.jpg

This started as budget build, even the color was chosen on whatever leftover paint I had (PS-35 from Raybrig NSX project). But well, I fell down the familiar upgrades rabbit hole. At least the electronics are still basic...for now :P

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

No problems (after many years) of running on 2S with a 35T RC4WD motor. 

I'm running mine on 3S with a 55T Axial motor, so a good bit more strain on the drivetrain I pressume but we'll see how it copes. For now I'm really impressed with the quality of MST.

5 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

@Nikko85 The CW01 is great, because it's the complete antithesis of modern RCs with great handling. Oil shocks (I used Traxxas ones I had from an old Slash) and 3D printing the chassis brace is all you really need to do, but I did modify the body mounts because the stock ones snap and the metal "hop-up" ones snap the chassis (or the body).

As a qualifier, I'm really happy with the way my QD monster trucks run, so I'm just looking for something not much worse than those! I'm quite keen to play with the front suspension just to remove the camber and equalise left and right, but yes - I don't want something on rails - but it would be shame it it always got relegated with respect to my GF01 or QDs too. Also I don't find cars that you constantly have to worry about rolling that fun, so if it can be stabilised a little that would be good too.

I quite like the making and engineering, so starting with something not great, and making it better is quite appealing. If it's too good already - where can I go?  At the same time there's no point buying a LB and spending mega bucks to get something that still handles nothing like a nicely as a modern truggy/MT.

@lsear2905, How do you like the CMX for crawling? I love tiny tire trucks; My RC4WD TF2 does fantastic on the 1.55 stock mud thrashers with cut treads! I'd be a little intimidated by the Capra's LOL, Capra literally means goat, and goats they are!

Not much of a what have you done today post, but I've got loads of stuff to update on here! I'm stuck between a Capra or TRX-4 for my next crawler; Though it would be much easier to do the RC4WD Chevy Blazer hard body on the TRX, the Capra is just so awesome!

-RC Perspective

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Hey welcome back @RC Perspective     I was a bit worried if the hurricane did some bad things to your home.. hope all is well. 

Thanks for thinking about me Willy! Fortunately we didn't take any damage from Ian, it turned a little more south before landfall, so spared us the worst. Parts of the area are still flooded months later because of the St John's river; it flows slowly so is slow to shed the flood level.

Between starting a new job back in August (Which fortunately pays well enough to fund more RC fun, while still paying the bills), Dad getting a heart valve and pacemaker days before the hurricane, And adopting a 6 month old black German Shepard puppy, and other things going on, I've been fitting my RCing in between. Unfortunately that hasn't left me much time to post stuff, but I have been taking pics and video of stuff, so I have plenty to upload. We will see if I can get to some of it today.

I've made some upgrades to the 3D printer that seem to have really taken care of alot of issues I have been having with it, loads of aero part tweaks to add some strength to the stuff I've designed, and some other RC upgrades that have increased the fun factor. Also just found a new, freshly paved spot to do speed runs!

So there will be some stuff coming soon to a Tamiya Club near you!

-RC Perspective

• Like 3