Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, RushRebel said:

Got around to finishing the Slash. This was going to be a project with my niece last summer but we didn’t get time to work on it. Decided to do it myself and surprise her with it on her birthday. Just got to come up with a pink and purple (her favorites) color scheme. Not a bad first R/C for an 8 year old.

This was a joy to build. Traxxas really hit a home run with the manual,  packaging and parts fit. It’s night and day compared to the TRX-1 and Stampede I built in the 90’s. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry level kit.

Having originally planned on building it for both of us to use, I purchased a lot of aftermarket parts (RPM, titanium, etc.), but decided to go stock for her. Now I have  almost enough hop-ups  to do a complete separate build. 

6589A021-0B80-4BCD-BB6B-10535F558024.jpeg

Is this really for your niece?   I used that excuse 2 years ago to get back into the hobby… it is for my kids I swear 😅

First step is admitting you have an RC problem…

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Is this really for your niece?   I used that excuse 2 years ago to get back into the hobby… it is for my kids I swear 😅

im 200% sure its for the niece, chances are she already drives the one that weren't purchased for her in the first place. kinda hard to drive your car if you keep "lending" it to others. atleast she will enjoy it. its no ARMA but it will take the abuse a fair amount. the kids find a car of yours they like, next it becomes a shared car and lastly you give up and either relinquish that one and get a replacement. thee replacement one isnt always to be your car or their car, its a 50/50 probability either way.

• Like 1

Put brand new tires on one of my Lunchboxes, man nothing better than a new pair of shoes. Didn't realize how bad the old ones were ( old and hardened) new ones spin better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frankster said:

It’s for her, I swear!😇

My new toy is still waiting to be built.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nel33 said:

im 200% sure its for the niece, chances are she already drives the one that weren't purchased for her in the first place. kinda hard to drive your car if you keep "lending" it to others. atleast she will enjoy it. its no ARMA but it will take the abuse a fair amount. the kids find a car of yours they like, next it becomes a shared car and lastly you give up and either relinquish that one and get a replacement. thee replacement one isnt always to be your car or their car, its a 50/50 probability either way.

Actually her only RC experience so far has been a slow, toy-grade Jeep that Barbie’s ride in, so she still needs to learn to drive. I really wanted to include her in the build process. She’s very inquisitive and loves working with her hands and doing crafts.The timing  just didn’t work out this summer. I think she’ll love bashing this at the beach.

Met another family and together with our kids we played around with our cars.  Kids gravitated towards the dust patch and ended up kicking up a storm.    I did a few donuts myself And will need to deep clean our cars

F7B79938-0B1D-43A1-B89E-8AF38C5D99F6.jpeg.a6f673db74571ca486db321d04481b26.jpeg45C496ED-D694-4775-B4E1-460B557D932C.jpeg.904c5504c9a0bad8749e824abec5074c.jpeg62A2F079-1F13-404F-B27A-F1A1AB68F899.jpeg.b119793448642291139241ef31b476a7.jpeg44B7D7DB-15B7-44F0-9624-760A94501381.jpeg.296d4e4d4c587234c429752538b54d1a.jpegC4B4AF94-FAA3-42D6-A7CE-A629F1506BAA.jpeg.5eef835ba966ffc3fd84ed34a092d0bb.jpeg

• Like 8

@Frankster Looks like you guys have a fun time!  :D   Nothing beats driving off road cars in the dirt and actual off road!  Glad to see your kids and his buddies are into it too.

For me, after getting through a few honey-do's this morning (one included plumbing work which I absolutely hate doing :wacko:), I heard voices in my head again to order a Turbo Optima so I did.   The trigger was when I took pictures of my TurboScorpion with my other Kyosho cars in the background the other day, the background looked so empty like by tiny detached brain in my skull I decided I should compensate by filling that void for my health.. :lol:   I only bought one kit as they share parts with my Javelin and some bits with my Optima MID,  I think I can manage to find replacement parts when needed especially now that KyoshoUSA is starting to show good inventory.

I looked at the other TurboScorpion variants like the original Scorpion, Tomahawk, and Beetle, but  I decided that I'm more the Optima family chassis guy (if from Kyosho) so went that route.  It comes with the gold parts so not too much hop ups planned.  Maybe CF shock towers and turnbuckles, universals.. power will most likely come from the LeMans 490 brushed with 1060.

For future news, I hope Kyosho comes out with a 240Z or Datsun 510 RTR Fazer Mk2..  I'd like one to park next to my Hakosuka  GTR.   I say this because while looking through all portfolio from Tamiya and Kyosho last night (probably spent 2hours), I am just not a polycarbonate body painting kind of guy.. and I don't like window decal trims.. I can decal fine, it's just that I'm a hardshell guy so I want to paint from the outside on solid plastic, if that makes any sense.  For some reason I don't mind buggy bodies in polycarbonate, though.  weird, right?  Maybe it's because these are all imaginary cars if 1:1 scale.

Update.. usual electronics, turnbuckles, and misc spares ordered.  

I think next up, get off my lazy butt and dust the RC shelves today in my pretend RC shop.. with the air purifier I found that I can easily go one month without dusting the cars as the styrene dust is now well controlled.  B)

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2

I took a piece of cheap china cutlery I had lying around, and cannibalized it to make an exhaust muffler for my Lancia Delta. It was a perfect drop in, all I had to do was fire it up with the lighter a bit (for the color) and paint the inside black.

The Lancia purists will probably notice that the position is actually incorrect: because of further modifications, the Integrale that ran the '92 Montecarlo rally had the muffler protruding from under the lower-right portion of the rear bumper instead, but I didn't want to go that route as it would result in way too much of a pain when running the car.

On the other hand, this position and shape of the muffler are very correct for the on road Evo 2 version sold to the public, so I'm perfectly fine with this compromise between looks and functionality :)

Screenshot-20221029-150644-Gallery.jpg

Looking better with an exhaust... next thing, some mud flaps🏁20221029-160251.jpg

• Like 9

Looking good there, @Ferruz!   

For me, slowly but surely cleaning each shelf including Willy’s shop.  :D 

IMG_2022-10-30-121156.jpg.53f1dd6a624851b753d190d84b3d07d5.jpg

IMG_2022-10-30-121139.jpg.1e088b4618f22c96ad6cfc76344f0284.jpg

I need to get a Roomba for Willy.. :ph34r:

Took a good while, but I am all done.  I made new charger QR labels for my battery packs as I have a few more coming this week (just 3600mAh NiMH that were on sale.. I don't need large capacity).  

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I took a piece of cheap china cutlery I had lying around, and cannibalized it to make an exhaust muffler for my Lancia Delta. It was a perfect drop in, all I had to do was fire it up with the lighter a bit (for the color) and paint the inside black.

The Lancia purists will probably notice that the position is actually incorrect: because of further modifications, the Integrale that ran the '92 Montecarlo rally had the muffler protruding from under the lower-right portion of the rear bumper instead, but I didn't want to go that route as it would result in way too much of a pain when running the car.

On the other hand, this position and shape of the muffler are very correct for the on road Evo 2 version sold to the public, so I'm perfectly fine with this compromise between looks and functionality :)

Screenshot-20221029-150644-Gallery.jpg

Looking better with an exhaust... next thing, some mud flaps🏁20221029-160251.jpg

Looks good! How did you secure it to the body? Shoo Goo perhaps? Thanks!

15 hours ago, rc4ever said:

Put brand new tires on one of my Lunchboxes, man nothing better than a new pair of shoes. Didn't realize how bad the old ones were ( old and hardened) new ones spin better.

Nice!  When my Wild Willy 2 was like 15 years old with original tires, they were hard like plastic.  :lol:

I started running the spiked V groove tires and for me, they drive quite better.  Looks like this (one on the left).
IMG_Aug152021at41520PM.jpg.77270e5b165ac1fdc1c06133a69c6259.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrowka said:

Broke the front strut tower on my Optima Mid re re.

Time to go CF!  :D   Sorry to hear.  

I bought the Yeah Racing CF full set for my next Optima MID build.  Will see how good they are soon.  However, I do have a back up CF set of shock towers in my parts bin at all times.. 

Perhaps we can make an aluminum tower brace for the front..  (?)

Started the day making a list of what my f103/104 hybrid needs to be completed, and thinking about what color to paint the body 

82E3C28D-0C67-4069-8592-A497B7E686FC.jpeg.912db93502c1b0f4619763f70ef6e9ec.jpeg

Then I fixed my silvercan speed run cars, the p34 and Billy’s fast time attack vehicle.. or at least I think they’re fixed :lol:. Haven’t taken them out for a run yet but everything seems to be functioning right. Got some shocks on the grasshopper so that’s ready to go. Fitted electronics in the tc01 and swapped the esc in the ff03. Got my tc01,ff03, and TA08 ready for soldering connectors and couldn’t seem to find my soldering stuff so that gets to wait. Fixed my ff03s dog bone so it won’t pop out anymore.

A9A12900-9C3C-4AE1-934D-95083A1B2324.jpeg.7cd757212929ebf8969915e3cd160e99.jpeg

After all that I decided to start cutting out my TS050 body, thinking it’ll go on the tc01

CA5E9F1E-6040-4F98-9D71-1E05011CEFBA.jpeg.8f87b440f498020ca7e6bc354d5e968a.jpeg

• Like 5

@ImALlama You are busy today!  Dang, I didn't do nothin' today.. just cleaned the pretend RC shop, drove my Mini-Z crawler maybe 15-20min, organized some small parts bins.. and printed QR labels .. and printer would not stop for some reason!   I had like 20 pages worth of tiny QR codes.. what to do.. lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@ImALlama You are busy today!  Dang, I didn't do nothin' today.. just cleaned the pretend RC shop, drove my Mini-Z crawler maybe 15-20min, organized some small parts bins.. and printed QR labels .. and printer would not stop for some reason!   I had like 20 pages worth of tiny QR codes.. what to do.. lol. 

Sounds like a good reason to get 20 QR code pages worth of new batteries :lol:

• Haha 1

I went to my LHS and had a good laugh…

Upon entering I see a middle aged couple, probably in their late 50s looking around.  She starts talking about this car and these paints and they have this and they have that!  She was a little kid in a candy store. He asked about the lexan bodies and she explained how to paint the inside and she showed him the paints.  I laugh bc of the weird gender reverse.  Way to go mom!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Looks good! How did you secure it to the body? Shoo Goo perhaps? Thanks!

For now I've used a bit of good quality hot glue to attach it to the sticker, which is what holds everything to the body. Seems to hold up great, in case of issues I will go with a drop of super glue.

I'm sure Shoe Goo would work too, I just find it a bit messy for the small stuff.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RushRebel said:

Actually her only RC experience so far has been a slow, toy-grade Jeep that Barbie’s ride in, so she still needs to learn to drive. I really wanted to include her in the build process. She’s very inquisitive and loves working with her hands and doing crafts.The timing  just didn’t work out this summer. I think she’ll love bashing this at the beach.

nice, just be warned if she really likes it then you will need to buy some more kits... are you using a traxxas ESC? it does have a handy 50% setting. its a bit slow but should be useful.

@Ferruz i had plans to use metal straws for my TT02D but never got around to  making the modification. life got in the way and some other stuff.

9 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Started the day making a list of what my f103/104 hybrid needs to be completed, and thinking about what color to paint the body 

82E3C28D-0C67-4069-8592-A497B7E686FC.jpeg.912db93502c1b0f4619763f70ef6e9ec.jpeg

Nice.  I have seen this on Pinterest.  Where can I get his body?   Paint Ferrari Red or Mercedes silver arrow 👍

• Like 1

As said in the postman thread, I have already some 44B parts...
6EOkw7m.jpg

Normally I should start a thread for this, but I also said I won't create it until I start to tear down the Zerda I could not let you wait, so...

Started to model what I have, as it won't be a lost job in anycase...
0pGqCjb.jpg
eJma0oR.jpg

After the chassis plate and belt cover, I decided to start model the bath tub...
YgvtwUk.jpg

Work is not over, but overal shape is already there...
kpPbpWT.jpg

A few things remain to do (reinforcements, holes, supports and fixations)... But it already ongoing :-)

8 hours ago, Ferruz said:

For now I've used a bit of good quality hot glue to attach it to the sticker, which is what holds everything to the body. Seems to hold up great, in case of issues I will go with a drop of super glue.

I'm sure Shoe Goo would work too, I just find it a bit messy for the small stuff.

I use 3M (06385) mounting tape to adhere pretty much all painted parts.  It's a thin tape made for 1:1 vehicle badges and nameplates.  I mean it's not even VHB, but yet they stick so well.  I use it for pretty much everything.  The plus side is it has some level of give so it does not just shear off when pushed, and I can remove the tape without destroying the paint.. given the surface was properly prepped and painted.   

It is a permanent adhesion if you want to keep it that way.  

I often cut the tape into tiny 1x2mm sizes and use it for stuff like my shovel and axe.. It is on there VERY good.  Works on both gloss and matte finishes which is a plus.

IMG_Mar232021at53242PM.thumb.jpg.6bead0a39481f3bd1f3c8cb2bb74eef6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frankster said:

Nice.  I have seen this on Pinterest.  Where can I get his body?   Paint Ferrari Red or Mercedes silver arrow 👍

I got it from https://store.f1rclab.com/vf1/, I had a bunch of spare f103 and f104 parts so I figured I’d build another car just needed a lower chassis. They were the only place I could find that had one with their vf1 package so I figured why not build a vintage f1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ImALlama said:

I got it from https://store.f1rclab.com/vf1/, I had a bunch of spare f103 and f104 parts so I figured I’d build another car just needed a lower chassis. They were the only place I could find that had one with their vf1 package so I figured why not build a vintage f1

Thanks for the info.  Will explore website

On 10/29/2022 at 7:06 PM, RushRebel said:

Got around to finishing the Slash. This was going to be a project with my niece last summer but we didn’t get time to work on it. Decided to do it myself and surprise her with it on her birthday. Just got to come up with a pink and purple (her favorites) color scheme. Not a bad first R/C for an 8 year old.

This was a joy to build. Traxxas really hit a home run with the manual,  packaging and parts fit. It’s night and day compared to the TRX-1 and Stampede I built in the 90’s. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry level kit.

Having originally planned on building it for both of us to use, I purchased a lot of aftermarket parts (RPM, titanium, etc.), but decided to go stock for her. Now I have  almost enough hop-ups  to do a complete separate build. 

Nice!  The 2wd Slash is a TON of fun, and pretty tough to boot.  Lucky kid for sure!

• Thanks 1