Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, BJoe76 said:

Put a fresh body on my 4-Tec 2.0 now that I’ve thrashed it and know it works again and really well too. Just spent parts of the last 3 days getting it to this point!

Just a simple, classic, Metallic Blue and Pearl White, both still with Pactra finishes, had to make my own wing since the one from the body went AWOL a decade ago and was going to wrap it with some carbon fiber printed vinyl from XXX Main, but what I got wasn’t wide enough so I just wrapped the side plates for now, May fab up another and do a carbon fiber (carbon fibber?!) style paint job on it.

That looks really good!  I found that just paining in gunmetal can have a CF like finish.  I haven't been able to find a simulated 1:10 CF sheet I am happy with as they all seem too fake to me?   Not that I am really going for realism, but faux CF has left a sour taste in the 1:1 car vinyl world, so I may be overly sensitive.  :lol: 

The side pieces are gunmetal on this wing.

IMG_2022-5-28-190853.thumb.jpg.aa71f4c8096d39cd89c90a2627d92f96.jpg

Okay for me today, need to head to the office for my money making gig.. :huh: someone has to earn $$$ to support my RC as it's not like my pretend RC shop has any revenue..  :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

That looks really good!  I found that just paining in gunmetal can have a CF like finish.  I haven't been able to find a simulated 1:10 CF sheet I am happy with as they all seem too fake to me?   Not that I am really going for realism, but faux CF has left a sour taste in the 1:1 car vinyl world, so I may be overly sensitive.  :lol: 

The side pieces are gunmetal on this wing.

IMG_2022-5-28-190853.thumb.jpg.aa71f4c8096d39cd89c90a2627d92f96.jpg

Okay for me today, need to head to the office for my money making gig.. :huh: someone has to earn $$$ to support my RC as it's not like my pretend RC shop has any revenue..  :ph34r: :lol:

Funny you mention the gunmetal grey, I still have a can of that from my Telluride and metallic black from when I painted my Night and Comp Crawlers, I just need need the weave pattern shelf liner to use as a mask😁

45 minutes ago, BJoe76 said:

Funny you mention the gunmetal grey, I still have a can of that from my Telluride and metallic black from when I painted my Night and Comp Crawlers, I just need need the weave pattern shelf liner to use as a mask😁

Huh, like a mean to simulate the fibers.. interesting idea!  Can you get it to temporarily stick to the surface so that paint does not go under the weaves?  

59 minutes ago, BJoe76 said:

Huh, like a mesh to simulate the fibers.. interesting idea!  Can you get it to temporarily stick to the surface so that paint does not get under the weaves?  

• Like 1

Finished my build video.  Shared it online.  

How to Tamiya a Kyosho Javelin.  An uplifting custom build video of Kyosho Javelin using Tamiya parts.  This is my first Kyosho build and it was a joy to put together my interpretation of the buggy.  Enjoy the video, please like & subscribe and have a great day ahead! 😊

https://youtu.be/0O99QFcWo5s

93A60D12-8190-4514-975D-D2629EF43E00.png

E54DEAF8-556C-45F1-975A-AE0E776AE78F.jpeg

DC933636-68D4-4FF9-9F4C-37D04ABFA1FE.jpeg

39C3BEAD-BD31-42C5-BA00-BC9EEA7FD758.jpeg

9BE43F0C-6054-425A-B710-FB490547173A.jpeg

66765013-5CD6-4EA3-9A77-1F60D7066B29.jpeg

FCD68671-96C8-4A68-9E9D-BF49D9DE489F.jpeg

E0A38D71-A4DA-4374-B5AD-DA3D593A2B70.jpeg

• Like 4

Went to the track this past weekend and it was just epic fails all around. Half the track was flooded, and the other half was dry and loose like ice, so I was out in the gravel drive/parking lot doing some drifting... until I got a little carried away and sent the Fighter Buggy DG straight into a puddle that was deeper than the car! It was quite a ways away, so I didn't even see it there through the sunlight, and although I managed to drive it out, it stopped about halfway back to me.

Good thing I had put in that waterproof servo! But I figured the Rx was toast. So I laid it out in the sun to start drying out, and switched over to Black Tooth (a Traxxas Hawk/outlaw buggy like the DG). It was having a really good drive until the servo went all glitchy again. Then I discovered an odd "clink" in the gearbox, so I called it a day before I could do any more damage. That will have to get torn down and troubleshot at some point.

But the great news is that the DG's Rx came back to life last night! I shut it down and disconnected the battery as quickly as I could the other day, which might have helped, but I was definitely surprised to see it power up and work fine once it dried out! So overall no lingering effects from trying to drive the car like a submarine :ph34r: Even the tire foams stayed dry, and the tires aren't even glued!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Huh, like a mesh to simulate the fibers.. interesting idea!  Can you get it to temporarily stick to the surface so that paint does not get under the weaves?  

Yup, something like this!

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/storage-and-organization/shelf-liners/utility-liners/6337729?gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFAinhxJ9DZTy3CSmj8fCEzZ&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFAinhxJ9DZTy3CSmj8fCEzZ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5On2dGN-wIVYZJbCh2xEQRzEAQYBiABEgIhJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lay it on the lexan like you would lace, spray over it with one color, peal it off like you would tape then the spray the other color. I might add an extra step by putting it back down, spraying the first color again the pulling it off and clearing the living snot out of it since it’ll be a wing instead of a hood, decklid, ect.

1 hour ago, BJoe76 said:

Yup, something like this!

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/storage-and-organization/shelf-liners/utility-liners/6337729?gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFAinhxJ9DZTy3CSmj8fCEzZ&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFAinhxJ9DZTy3CSmj8fCEzZ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5On2dGN-wIVYZJbCh2xEQRzEAQYBiABEgIhJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lay it on the lexan like you would lace, spray over it with one color, peal it off like you would tape then the spray the other color. I might add an extra step by putting it back down, spraying the first color again the pulling it off and clearing the living snot out of it since it’ll be a wing instead of a hood, decklid, ect.

Thanks.   It’s the slip proof liners for tool cases.  Those rectangles are pretty big for 1:10 scale..?  I thought you were taking about like a screen door mesh with smaller pores.. :lol:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks.   It’s the slip proof liners for tool cases.  Those rectangles are pretty big for 1:10 scale..?  I thought you were taking about like a screen door mesh with smaller pores.. :lol:

Now that you mentioned it, I wonder how hard it would be to fake a forged carbon look  with intentional overspray?!  Maybe lay the metallic black down with a splattered appearance then lay the gun metal over it, the do the same with the black before clearing the bottom of the wing and insides of the side plates🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BJoe76 said:

Now that you mentioned it, I wonder how hard it would be to fake a forged carbon look  with intentional overspray?!  Maybe lay the metallic black down with a splattered appearance then lay the gun metal over it, the do the same with the black before clearing the bottom of the wing and insides of the side plates🤔

Hummm..!  That might work.   Keep us posted.  B)

3D printed body mounts and drilled and mounted the Jeep Body to the MF01x. 

OKI4hbd.jpg

Ud72GSL.jpg

Still lots to do, but it's getting there. Do check out the build thread if interested. Going full Jurassic Park for a scale trailer.

• Like 7

Since I was at the office today all day, too tired to do anything.. so decided to bind my new receivers in prep for my next builds and created model memory in my transmitter. B)

IMG_2022-11-1-181502.jpg.c80eb2f436dd74f789e5228ed9e65962.jpg

I am going to run my ancient 4PKS-R stuff on the 420X and Fantom since onroad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Hummm..!  That might work.   Keep us posted.  B)

Done all but the clear, the paint is drying and I still don’t like that Duratrax paint.

1 minute ago, BJoe76 said:

Done all but the clear, the paint is drying and I still don’t like that Duratrax paint.

Hummmmmm.......!

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Hummmmmm.......!

Yeah, I did use some Testors Extreme Lacquer Wet Look Clear I had laying around for the clear, it does look interesting though!

FullSizeRender_9eFL21jMjjgZ3QV2qSzDQZ.jp

here’s how it turned out, Not great, but close!  I’ll have to try with a different brand of paint next time.

FullSizeRender_eyNsuuyoktqXaCXSKanNeT.jp

It's been a while since I last updated the CC-01. 

The CC-01 got some upgrade treatments.

New set of 85mm dampers with internal springs for front and rear.. These were extras that I ordered for the Wild One but were in black. I decided to replace the ones of WO to all silver. Surprisingly, these work great on the CC-01 and looks more realistic that those big bore shocks to be honest. The rebound and damping is also great.

oht3fnch.jpg

6W1iA0ih.jpg

Skid plates. Now, no need to worry on this rocks and stones scraping underneath the chassis and damaging the center shaft and suspension arm plates. 

prXWntPh.jpg

7R322Mlh.jpg

QEb6OUch.jpg

M6K9PtOh.jpg

ZN1EHWph.jpg

That fan isn't really necessary. I just installed it since I have a lot of extras and looks cool too. B)

1WMcZ27h.jpg

• Like 6

I was hoping to get more done today as I was WFH, but only got to the wing as I got caught up on calls.  I started Optima MID #2.

I'm going to cut the body next.  :D 

IMG_2022-11-2-164205.jpg.b0d4824d99dd2d35ae8412fee383d4bf.jpg

IMG_2022-11-2-164221.jpg.2201aef5a76233cd6f0f186231ec2f50.jpg

Final update for today..the body is cut and trimmed.. will mask and give it some color tomorrow.  :D 

Once I finish the body, then I will build the chassis.  

IMG_2022-11-2-185103.jpg.812a9b787d19e29c078578f39ad60fb5.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

Had four Dt-01 around for some time. All my friends started to sell their Dt-01 so I started thinking about what to do with mine as I did not use them for a while.

Two options: pimp them for the shelf or sell.... Decided for the first option. So I started to give the Madbull a new yellow painted shell with stock Decals. Turned out pretty well. For the Mad Fighter I first thought some kind of Bear Hawk look might be cool... But then I found a very nice Blockhead design on Reddit and copied that... Finished this evening but can't decide it I should put on the wing or not🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1667428722348.jpg

1667428722410.jpg

1667428722397.jpg

1667428722386.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, davidsen said:

Had four Dt-01 around for some time. All my friends started to sell their Dt-01 so I started thinking about what to do with mine as I did not use them for a while.

Two options: pimp them for the shelf or sell.... Decided for the first option. So I started to give the Madbull a new yellow painted shell with stock Decals. Turned out pretty well. For the Mad Fighter I first thought some kind of Bear Hawk look might be cool... But then I found a very nice Blockhead design on Reddit and copied that... Finished this evening but can't decide it I should put on the wing or not🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1667428722348.jpg

1667428722410.jpg

1667428722397.jpg

1667428722386.jpg

Without a rear wing but make the roll cage contrast in a gun metal gray?   In the photos it is black on black and only the white / turquoise body is visible making the front look heavy / imbalanced.

Love the decals.  Good luck on what ever you decide. 

• Thanks 1

Hey @davidsen, looks good.  I would do a clear wing with painted side pieces. Kind of like the WildOne Blockhead Motors vertical slats, but with an actual wing in the middle.  I donno, entirely up to you.   :D

• Thanks 1

Was at work (slow day today) and since we have a big warehouse, I decided to run the DT03 around in my lunch break. The concrete is super smooth (great if I still had a drift car), so spent most of the time crossed up and having fun. Well, the warehouse isn't as big as my cockiness and I snotted it into a table.

Luckily, my LHS has a second 'trade in' DT03 so I went there and he said to take it to rob parts off 😄

For some reason I though this one had oil filled shocks, gutted it doesn't or those would be going too 😏 

y8fAhrK.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, davidsen said:

1667428722348.jpg

1667428722410.jpg

1667428722397.jpg

1667428722386.jpg

I think the wing would look great with some or the blue/green too.

Either way looks great.

For me, going to hit the Optima MID body with some color :D ..before heading out to the office again for my money making gig.. :wacko: :lol:

Wish me hope.. :ph34r:

IMG_2022-11-3-061851.jpg.64e57db409d5bb5428a50482f9da37ea.jpg

Update.. finished painting the body.. so what do you guys think about the color match between TS56 and PS19?   Pretty good, right?  Not exactly Kyosho's box photo yellow, but I wanted a more orange yellow, so.. :D

IMG_2022-11-3-074534.jpg.5c2c502a9fa59ef600ff03a060adc497.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 2