Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Looking good @leadfoot!   

Next project?  Would you be interested in a 4WD buggy or truck or..? 

I am open to suggestions 😁 I just bought a big rock as it was on sale as a Christmas pressie to myself but I am enjoying the building side of things. 

Ordered a Durga off evil bay. I’ve been tracking a TrF511 that I purchased in July. My not so little man wants a go. I was in evil bay, checked out my watch list and the Durga was reduced to 179 US with free shipping. I couldn’t hit the buy button quick enough. This post just reminded me I need to order hex screws. Add or ding hex screws to my want did I do list today.

• Like 3

Ordered a Durga off evil bay. I’ve been tracking a TrF511 that I purchased in July. My not so little man wants a go. I was in evil bay, checked out my watch list and the Durga was reduced to 179 US with free shipping. I couldn’t hit the buy button quick enough. This post just reminded me I need to order hex screws. Add or ding hex screws to my want did I do list today.

• Like 2

Today I picked up my first full size Pumpkin. I'm playing with it on an MF01x, as a 1/12 off road racer.

xHuUsIt.jpg

This is a super rough mock up but feels about right. Sand paddles on M chassis wheels.

• Like 7

Wasn’t paying attention to the auctions I was bidding on and ended up losing them all, so no new Tamiyas on the way :(, so a couple more decals on the Toyota (don’t want to get behind schedule and push the completion date to next fall :lol:) and bought a bunch of tc01 hop ups.

Went to the charity shop today, saw the twin stars, just got to have it. It comes built but I am sure I can "unbuild" it for the kids. 

JHnbJvN.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

It’s a yes from me 😃

Many thanks. Usually I really have to chew on tires, offset, wheels etc. But the second I saw that I knew it was bang on.

Going to work on getting the maximum suspension range possible to give some justification for the body height.

• Like 2

Sold a HSP buggy I wasn't using, so I have more room for the Juggernaut once it is complete.

More work on paint stripping the Juggernaut's bed, but it proves to be a pain in the ....
The paint is simply not coming off! The cabin was ok but this seems to be very stuck, it is probably related to a somewhat rougher texture on the bed's plastics. Only scraping with a knife blade has some effect.

Stopped for now, will proceed an other time when my fingers are no longer blue.

sn4I9ti.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Replaced the antenna wire on a Flysky GT3E Rx bc why not???

bIzpxP0.jpg

Some back story…. I took the Bushy D to the beach again this year and it was awesome. But I noticed that I would lose radio connection at about 50 yards.  After inspecting the truck, I noticed that the exposed copper wire on the Rx antenna had somehow been ripped off?  No idea how, maybe it hit caught on an axle?

So I replaced the antenna with one I got on eBay. 10 count for 10 bucks.

I was able to test the range yesterday at a soccer (football) field yesterday while my son was at swim practice…. Success!  I easily have 100 yards of range!  Woohoo!  I came home and repair another Rx with broken antenna.

I love this hobby…

• Like 3

For me, decaled the Turbo Optima body.  Once dry, I will do some trimming for the rear body post hole and such, but mostly done.  

I changed it up from box art as I am not fond of yellow decals on my red/white/black theme.  

IMG_2022-11-13-105225.jpg.fcaf4cbc800e1f649a7c6c75864efc5d.jpg

IMG_2022-11-13-105233.jpg.802f32b12472333671126e9ae0433f59.jpg

Update.. Decided to remove one of the C-pillar decals..  I will work on the chassis starting maybe next weekend.  

IMG_2022-11-13-124000.jpg.c3e52956cee0f57809aec7e7c710c218.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Wasn’t paying attention to the auctions I was bidding on and ended up losing them all, so no new Tamiyas on the way :(, so a couple more decals on the Toyota (don’t want to get behind schedule and push the completion date to next fall :lol:) and bought a bunch of tc01 hop ups.

Sorry to hear.. I hate bidding on eBay as I just don't like the drama near the end.  I usually just set a max and if I get an email I won, great.   If not, then it was never meant to be.. TC01 hopups sounds like fun.  You also got bits for your RC bike I saw yesterday in the postman thread.  :D  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Some back story…. I took the Bushy D to the beach again this year and it was awesome. But I noticed that I would lose radio connection at about 50 yards.  After inspecting the truck, I noticed that the exposed copper wire on the Rx antenna had somehow been ripped off?  No idea how, maybe it hit caught on an axle?

So I replaced the antenna with one I got on eBay. 10 count for 10 bucks.

I was able to test the range yesterday at a soccer (football) field yesterday while my son was at swim practice…. Success!  I easily have 100 yards of range!  Woohoo!  I came home and repair another Rx with broken antenna.

I love this hobby…

I've noticed they are not the strongest. Is the soldering quite a simple operation? I've got one coming off one of mine. I'm debating if I could solder a  thin wire to the TX, and then use a bolt to connect that to an old school antenna to make something like this.

ac0ffdd5a13de109a54841767baec119--jurass

44 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

I've noticed they are not the strongest. Is the soldering quite a simple operation? I've got one coming off one of mine. I'm debating if I could solder a  thin wire to the TX, and then use a bolt to connect that to an old school antenna to make something like this.

ac0ffdd5a13de109a54841767baec119--jurass

A 2.4 Rx antenna wire is a coax wire, ie a center wire with insulation, then an outer sleeve that is the ground.

Prepping the wire for my Rx was a delicate procedure as shown here:

The antenna replacement I used was 100mm long, and it replaced an antenna that was 150mm.  The length of the exposed wire at the top is the important part, but added length allows you to elevate you wire too more to increase range.

If you want to use a whip antenna (looks like most available are decorative?), you could use a 400mm wire like the Futaba:

https://www.eurorc.com/product/24699/futaba-antenna-rx-24g-400mm-long-w-connector

Moving along with my long overdue project..  you're probably wondering what this is..  

I am too.  :ph34r: jk

IMG_2022-11-13-123802.jpg.c8f5a1678643cd9dcecd2af3e19e0c23.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Sorry to hear.. I hate bidding on eBay as I just don't like the drama near the end.  I usually just set a max and if I get an email I won, great.   If not, then it was never meant to be.. TC01 hopups sounds like fun.  You also got bits for your RC bike I saw yesterday in the postman thread.  :D  

Most the time I’ll do the same with eBay, this time I was quickly looking at stuff and put some bids figuring if I forget and get it cheap awesome but thought I’ll come back to take a more in-depth look and put max bid later. Almost ready to start the bike, have a few more things for it on the way before I get started :D

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Moving along with my long overdue project..  you're probably wondering what this is..  

I am too.  :ph34r: jk

IMG_2022-11-13-123802.jpg.c8f5a1678643cd9dcecd2af3e19e0c23.jpg

I’m sure wondering, and I’m also sure whatever it is or goes on will look amazing when it’s done like all your other projects 

• Thanks 1

Today I started putting more stickers on, and just kept going. So I am happy to announce I’m way ahead of schedule :lol:! It’s finished!

2F56222A-79F4-40B3-88F7-452861355231.thumb.jpeg.670b1c77688c60173a4f570dcc5d3f43.jpeg

I regret I’ve been to lazy to grab my heat gun each day till after I put all the giant decals over the complex shapes on :(, and if I had read the directions and took my time planning it I’d do a couple things different, but I kinda gave up when the second mist of green turned the yellow to green. Oh well, I’ll just have to make another :D

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Most the time I’ll do the same with eBay, this time I was quickly looking at stuff and put some bids figuring if I forget and get it cheap awesome but thought I’ll come back to take a more in-depth look and put max bid later. Almost ready to start the bike, have a few more things for it on the way before I get started :D

I’m sure wondering, and I’m also sure whatever it is or goes on will look amazing when it’s done like all your other projects 

Yeah, some of those eBay auction durations are long, so tend to forget where I left off too..!

Thanks, I finished the red pieces.   :D Those are the low hanging side sills.. I accidentally painted mine black many years ago and decided to mount a red piece on top once I had some scrap polycarbonate.  I've had the excess for years, but was placed on the back burner until the day I used red polycarbonate paint... When I did my FiestaST last year (MicroRS4) I completely forgot to do it.. luckily I remembered this time when I did the Turbo Optima.   :lol:

IMG_2022-11-13-144929.jpg.1acadb17baa814b774fa2111d9d373bb.jpg

IMG_2022-11-13-162216.jpg.b6feb13072673f691ba5d02edc215bd3.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Today I started putting more stickers on, and just kept going. So I am happy to announce I’m way ahead of schedule :lol:! It’s finished.

I regret I’ve been to lazy to grab my heat gun each day till after I put all the giant decals over the complex shapes on :(, and if I had read the directions and took my time planning it I’d do a couple things different, but I kinda gave up when the second mist of green turned the yellow to green. Oh well, I’ll just have to make another :D

From the picture, I think it looks good!  Curves are difficult to decal for sure.  I had a field day doing the TurboScorpion body recently.  It turned out fine, but given the complexity, I shouldve just masked and painted the blue.  I bought a spare body set last week taking advantage of the weak JPY, so maybe I'll try it again in another color.  :D 

IMG_2022-10-28-211619.jpg.438c55bc891beb6efd4ace9bfedecd3b.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

From the picture, I think it looks good!  Curves are difficult to decal for sure.  I had a field day doing th TurboScorpion body recently.  It turned out fine, but given the complexity, I shouldve just masked and painted the blue.  I bought a spare body set last week taking advantage of the weak JPY, so maybe I'll try it again in another color.  :D 

IMG_2022-10-28-211619.jpg.438c55bc891beb6efd4ace9bfedecd3b.jpg

I’ll have to keep that in mind for when I finally get a TurboScorpion. I think about half the bodies I do I think to myself ‘this would’ve been easier and looked better if I just masked and painted this part’ but then I seem to forget to consider that and look things over when I start a new one :lol:

• Haha 1

I designed a door for the 1/12 Jeep body

3FE6UGf.png

I should be able to print tomorrow and see how it goes.

I also did a little research into 1/12 scale Tamiya. I've got a number of Tamiyas that are roughly 1/12 and nothing larger.

I've got a thing where I would like all my cars to be in the same rough scale. I'm aware it's not always perfect and sometime a car is wider or longer than it should be w.r.t to true scale, but I like them looking close enough, so you could imagine the same size person going from one to another. 

Now, that means I'm limited in what I can make to fit this scale as most Tamiya are way too big, but I did a little digging and realised that the CC01 Unimog could work. The Unimog is given as 196 mm wide with wheelbase of around 242 mm against 2300 mm and 2810 mm in real life respectively This is makes the Unimog around 1:11.7  scale, more than close enough to match. The CC01/02 chassis I find quite interesting, being very flexible and with a few mods. If I do get one it'll be made a race truck - Dakar style. I think I'll go for the CC01, just due to the better body - but would the CC02 make much more sense? I assume fitting a CC01 body would be easy enough?

Still a while off as I've got lots of building to do first, and really looking to make a car a year from now on (I've promised my wife no more for a while!!!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, some of those eBay auction durations are long, so tend to forget where I left off too..!

Thanks, I finished the red pieces.   :D Those are the low hanging side sills.. I accidentally painted mine black many years ago and decided to mount a red piece on top once I had some scrap polycarbonate.  I've had the excess for years, but was placed on the back burner until the day I used red polycarbonate paint... When I did my FiestaST last year (MicroRS4) I complete forgot to do it.. luckily I remembered this time when I did the Turbo Optima.   :lol:

IMG_2022-11-13-144929.jpg.1acadb17baa814b774fa2111d9d373bb.jpg

Sharp Mini.  The side sill are suppose to be black correct?

I need to restart my mini project as well… too busy with work at the moment 😕

• Thanks 1

So, finally got round to doing some RC Stuff. 

TT01E:

New chassis tub arrived from Hong Kong for my TT01E scooby race car. Fitted that. Fixed the broken NSF lower rear arm pivot with a 2MM Roll pin and super glue as a temp till new arms arrive.

I've run out of Absima CR3P receivers (on back order) so refitted the one I temp fitted into my TA03RS racer from the Scooby with 3M Command Velco style strips. And the ESC. Seems very stable.

(Anyone know/have a link to compatible receivers)

Bought a dust cover for the TT01, and in cutting it to fit, I noticed it has the usual over spray film, so that is getting masked up and painted funky. (Will post pix when done).

Also going to re-make my front light buckets for the scooby. They've taken a "hammering".... my race meets are not official, and a little rough at times....

TA03RS:

Stripped and rebuilt the suspension after buying it 2nd hand. Bot to know how it all works, and how to do "quick service" repairs like the TT01. Learning curve....

CC01:

I acquired this for £25.00 with the 80 turn motor I was interested in (thought it was a 30 turn...) from my mate I did the Mountain Rider bodywork for. It has 'A few hop ups included'.

Bruiser:

Ordered Hot Racing front hubs from USA. STILL waiting for them to arrive. Will take out the 80 turn motor when they do.....

Been looking at all the posts on here. Some amazing work you guys do. Wish I had the time. The above has all been done in very little time. I must take pictures while I am doing RC stuff!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FoxShot said:

So, finally got round to doing some RC Stuff. 

TT01E:

New chassis tub arrived from Hong Kong for my TT01E scooby race car. Fitted that. Fixed the broken NSF lower rear arm pivot with a 2MM Roll pin and super glue as a temp till new arms arrive.

I've run out of Absima CR3P receivers (on back order) so refitted the one I temp fitted into my TA03RS racer from the Scooby with 3M Command Velco style strips. And the ESC. Seems very stable.

(Anyone know/have a link to compatible receivers)

Bought a dust cover for the TT01, and in cutting it to fit, I noticed it has the usual over spray film, so that is getting masked up and painted funky. (Will post pix when done).

Also going to re-make my front light buckets for the scooby. They've taken a "hammering".... my race meets are not official, and a little rough at times....

TA03RS:

Stripped and rebuilt the suspension after buying it 2nd hand. Bot to know how it all works, and how to do "quick service" repairs like the TT01. Learning curve....

CC01:

I acquired this for £25.00 with the 80 turn motor I was interested in (thought it was a 30 turn...) from my mate I did the Mountain Rider bodywork for. It has 'A few hop ups included'.

Bruiser:

Ordered Hot Racing front hubs from USA. STILL waiting for them to arrive. Will take out the 80 turn motor when they do.....

Been looking at all the posts on here. Some amazing work you guys do. Wish I had the time. The above has all been done in very little time. I must take pictures while I am doing RC stuff!!!

@FoxShot any photos / eye candy you can share?