Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Frankster said:

Sharp Mini.  The side sill are suppose to be black correct?

I need to restart my mini project as well… too busy with work at the moment 😕

The very bottom is supposed to be red as the picture a above,  Since I'm a dummy I accidentally painted it black..  As you know, there's me in dummy.. :wacko:  :lol:

1044892755_01-FullHopUps.thumb.jpg.4e05749b7d5cccaa2c56e75eeda921f9.jpg

The fully Hopped up Chassis. Quite a bit of money in that shot!!! 

1100087415_03-OGCutofffrotnend.thumb.jpg.f742d95b94412236ca3226e4b97fc62a.jpg

The original front end delete mod that was removed when I got it. It wasn't replaced well....

1655404022_05-Trimmedfronttidiedup.thumb.jpg.b45c6dc4597682c010d67ab3df35b3f1.jpg

I tidied up the delete...

512486319_04-Removedparttimmed.thumb.jpg.229938c5d8e80fbcbc0dfb61136d7c12.jpg

Removed this off the deleted part....

603942315_06frontlowerfitted.thumb.jpg.4f0168a1bbee563751f393d149834775.jpg

Fitted it here

1863765961_08frominside.thumb.jpg.5edc0cb50e5bdf3209481ade8ef67464.jpg

And fitted the ridged part up top.

All glued with PVC pipe weld.

02 - Modded Uprights for more steering.jpg

I filed off the edge here to increase steering angle by quite a bit. Achieves 45 degrees now.

07 upper fitted.jpg.

Test fit of the parts...

• Like 3

I haven't been on the forum much lately, so today I spent a couple hours catching up with everybody's progress on this thread. Wow, so much stuff! Can't really afford being off the forum for more than a couple weeks tops, or else it will be impossible to get up to date! 😅

Nice stuff as always, from so many people... the usual top notch quality builds from @Willy iine... and an unbelievably gorgeous Bug shell from @Re-Bugged 😍 looking super good :wub:

• Thanks 2

Been busy with life lately, but I did do some RC stuff here and there. Here's my progress from the last couple weeks or so:

Installed new front knuckles + new kicks on the Terra Scorcher.20221029-232721.jpg

The car is now all ready for (maybe:ph34r:) one more semi competitive round of Postal Racing before the snow comes to bury everything.20221030-160837.jpg

Then I gave a nice clean up to the Lancia Delta, before putting her back on shelf duties after the recent, much enjoyed escapades. Since I had to remove the cockpit for the cleaning, I took this chance to add a couple extra Velcro stripes to its front and back, to prevent it from rocking when the car is running. Worked out well, now the cockpit is literally one thing with the body shell, and yet it can still come undone :)20221030-184057.jpg

After this, it was the turn of the Manta Ray. Her fancy blingy digital servo started spazzing out recently, so for now I replaced it with an unbranded one I had kicking around in my spares box.20221106-203833.jpg

I put one of these in my Hornet a couple years ago and never looked back, it's still going great despite all the abuse, so I hope it will end up the same for the Manta ray. Added some colours to make it blend in, but can't tell much by this pic20221106-212124.jpg

20221106-212142.jpg

Took the car for a long run the following day, all good! ✌20221108-161355.jpg

• Like 9

Today I took out the Hornet, but cowered away well before the battery ran out because of the cold! Not used to it yet... still, the short run scratched the rc itch 😊20221113-182103.jpg

20221113-174727.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I was able to test the range yesterday at a soccer (football) field yesterday while my son was at swim practice…. Success!  I easily have 100 yards of range!  Woohoo!  I came home and repair another Rx with broken antenna.

I love this hobby…

So when I was out testing, I had a beech of a time trying to control the Bushy D on the infield of a baseball field.  Loose gravel and sand.  So while the HPI Mesh with HPI Mud Thrashers are a great combo on grass and pavement, they suck on gravel.  So I’m going to try these Pitbull Injector beadlocks with Venom Racing Ridgelines.

uqmVpt7.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I designed a door for the 1/12 Jeep body

3FE6UGf.png

I should be able to print tomorrow and see how it goes.

I also did a little research into 1/12 scale Tamiya. I've got a number of Tamiyas that are roughly 1/12 and nothing larger.

I've got a thing where I would like all my cars to be in the same rough scale. I'm aware it's not always perfect and sometime a car is wider or longer than it should be w.r.t to true scale, but I like them looking close enough, so you could imagine the same size person going from one to another. 

Now, that means I'm limited in what I can make to fit this scale as most Tamiya are way too big, but I did a little digging and realised that the CC01 Unimog could work. The Unimog is given as 196 mm wide with wheelbase of around 242 mm against 2300 mm and 2810 mm in real life respectively This is makes the Unimog around 1:11.7  scale, more than close enough to match. The CC01/02 chassis I find quite interesting, being very flexible and with a few mods. If I do get one it'll be made a race truck - Dakar style. I think I'll go for the CC01, just due to the better body - but would the CC02 make much more sense? I assume fitting a CC01 body would be easy enough?

Still a while off as I've got lots of building to do first, and really looking to make a car a year from now on (I've promised my wife no more for a while!!!).

9BB3B8DA-3A82-44F2-BFD5-F9557E6F9120.jpg
6F995F92-CA45-4548-B0AC-2F35A4E7CDF5.jpg
CC01 and CC02 chassis can take all the same bodies depending on the correct chassis length. The Unimog is a great example of Tamiya scale.? On these chassis’s Tamiya fits a D90 and a Unimog!!!! Put the two together in the real world and you’ll get a shock. In my opinion the Unimog needs much larger diameter tyres to look scale like the one above. The CC01 chassis is probably the best to use as a Dakar car , in fact one of its first bodies was a Touareg Rallye Raid car. It was never designed as a crawler!!

34 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

6F995F92-CA45-4548-B0AC-2F35A4E7CDF5.jpg
CC01 and CC02 chassis can take all the same bodies depending on the correct chassis length. The Unimog is a great example of Tamiya scale.? On these chassis’s Tamiya fits a D90 and a Unimog!!!! Put the two together in the real world and you’ll get a shock. In my opinion the Unimog needs much larger diameter tyres to look scale like the one above. The CC01 chassis is probably the best to use as a Dakar car , in fact one of its first bodies was a Touareg Rallye Raid car. It was never designed as a crawler!!

That looks great. Yes, the idea of a dedicated crawler is not so appealing, but it sounds like with the faster gearing you can have a multipurpose car that can handle bumps, but also get to a decent speed, much like a racing Unimog. Being able to take a 40 degree slope is cool, or able to tackle a few inches of water or mud and grass - I've less interested in going 2 km/h almost vertical up a rock face!

Sounds like the CC01 is for me, I guess it's discontinued which is a shame, but looks like availability and parts won't be an issue for quite a while as there was a lot of aftermarket support and spares going around.

Won't be till 2023, but nice to plan.

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

That looks great. Yes, the idea of a dedicated crawler is not so appealing, but it sounds like with the faster gearing you can have a multipurpose car that can handle bumps, but also get to a decent speed, much like a racing Unimog. Being able to take a 40 degree slope is cool, or able to tackle a few inches of water or mud and grass - I've less interested in going 2 km/h almost vertical up a rock face!

Sounds like the CC01 is for me, I guess it's discontinued which is a shame, but looks like availability and parts won't be an issue for quite a while as there was a lot of aftermarket support and spares going around.

Won't be till 2023, but nice to plan.

I think they are still around though the seem to be the newer body style . 425 rather than 405 I think

Been a while since I posted anything, largely because it's been a while since I did anything. All my delaying tactics for decorating the house got used up, so I've been 1:1 scale diorama painting.

Prior to that, I did a light refurb and repaint of a small arch Ranger body for @barneys66 which I thought I'd stuck a few pictures up of, but clearly didn't. So, here goes:

This is it as received.

IMG_2267

Overall it appeared to be in very nice condition, a broken rear body mount and a little grazing across the rain gutter. Upon further inspection there was also a crack across the roof into the windscreen aperture, another big crack across the rear of the cab and a very odd hollow in the bonnet (hood.) The original plan was to keep it as original as possible and unpainted, but after weighing it all up the only way to fix everything properly and leave it looking as good as possible was to paint it, so, I did.

I won't bore you with progress pics of plastic welding etc, but will skip to the end:

IMG_2397 IMG_2396 IMG_2398

and then just before I boxed it up Barney decided on chrome trim on the quarterlights:

IMG_2404

With that done and dusted, the decorating started. To ensure I didn't get the shakes from Tamiya withdrawals I called upon the wonderful Robert who very kindly helped me procure a few Tamiya trinkets.

First up, some front caster plates for my DB-01.

IMG_2407

I'd got the rear ones a few weeks earlier and just couldn't let the fronts go untreated:

IMG_2409

There's more to come on this build, and the TRF201, but that's for a later date.....

The other thing I've been tinkering with is the TA-02 I was building here: 

That lovely man Robert helped out again with my dream body set. The only issues I had with it were the stance, and the lack of detail around the grill and door handles (there aren't any in the sticker set) and having been constantly in awe of @Truck Norris's builds, I thought I'd have a go at improving things myself.... I mean, what can go wrong!?

After messing up the first set of wheels, I got the second ones from the printers and finally got around to smoothing and painting them:

IMG_2405

Happy, I decided to model up some inserts for the grill and door handles:

image.thumb.png.1b2c30bd9238bcdedbeb54553a880b93.png

So, all that was left was to cut up a perfectly lovely brand new, rare body.....

IMG_2406

So far so good. Paint next......

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Looking really good , all of them. And I must admit you are a brave man to cut holes into that body. B) Looking forward to the finished result. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about that, Grumpy pants!

Today, I learned that I can use Imgur to download and post pictures on a mobile device; I am using one now to update the status of my 1:24 Lancia 037 RC car. The day's work comprised tire decals and tiny mudflaps:

ojXeXRs.jpeg

For more information on this model, a small build thread can be found in the "Other Makes" subforum!

• Like 9

13 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

So, all that was left was to cut up a perfectly lovely brand new, rare body.....

IMG_2406

So far so good. Paint next......

Please don't drill holes in that body - magnetic body mounts are so much neater, and no unsightly body posts!

• Like 1

Minimal RC for me in the last week or 2 - we're renovating the laundry at the moment (the biggest "honey do" yet), the lake's still got a blue-green algae outbreak and is closed, and the weather has been atrocious!

I'm glad to jump on here and see everyone's progress with their various projects...

• Like 1

I just got a voicemail from Metro Hobbies (my LHS) here in Melbourne. The Egress Black is in and I had put my name down for one.

But I'm going to politely decline. I was only getting one to have a second egress but right now my long list of 'Must Have' cars is growing and over here the $769 price could pay for one of my other dream cars.

It's the right thing to do.

It's the sensible thing to do.

Now I've just got to do it...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

I just got a voicemail from Metro Hobbies (my LHS) here in Melbourne. The Egress Black is in and I had put my name down for one.

But I'm going to politely decline. I was only getting one to have a second egress but right now my long list of 'Must Have' cars is growing and over here the $769 price could pay for one of my other dream cars.

Makes sense.  The black is just color change, hardly worth it unless a collector of Egress… and not everyone is nor should be pressured to be one.  

What other car(s) do you have in mind?  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Please don't drill holes in that body - magnetic body mounts are so much neater, and no unsightly body posts!

don't worry, already have magnetic mounts for it, totally agree about body posts! :) 

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Makes sense.  The black is just color change, hardly worth it unless a collector of Egress… and not everyone is nor should be pressured to be one.  

What other car(s) do you have in mind?  

I really considered it as I would like another Egress but not for that $ especially as I don’t like the colour scheme and wanted it just as a way to get another Egress chassis.

There are so many cars on the wanted list… Avante, Fighting Buggy, Big Wig, Boomerang, Bear Hawk and more! I wouldn’t want any prebuilt so they won’t be cheap! 

Plus I have countless unmade kits and conversions still to work on.

And I rarely get any time and that won’t change for at least 6 months!

Anyway, if the rain doesn’t let up soon I will need to shift to RC boats ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:54 PM, Willy iine said:

Yeah, some of those eBay auction durations are long, so tend to forget where I left off too..!

Thanks, I finished the red pieces.   :D Those are the low hanging side sills.. I accidentally painted mine black many years ago and decided to mount a red piece on top once I had some scrap polycarbonate.  I've had the excess for years, but was placed on the back burner until the day I used red polycarbonate paint... When I did my FiestaST last year (MicroRS4) I completely forgot to do it.. luckily I remembered this time when I did the Turbo Optima.   :lol:

IMG_2022-11-13-144929.jpg.1acadb17baa814b774fa2111d9d373bb.jpg

IMG_2022-11-13-162216.jpg.b6feb13072673f691ba5d02edc215bd3.jpg

This thread is inspirational generally but your Minis might just be my favourite thing on here.

If Tamiya ever do another re-release I will buy one in a heartbeat. Actually, more than one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

This thread is inspirational generally but your Minis might just be my favourite thing on here.

If Tamiya ever do another re-release I will buy one in a heartbeat. Actually, more than one.

Totally agree with you @BuggyDad. I love lots of peoples stuff on here but rarely get green with envy. @Willy iine’s collection of Minis tips me over the edge! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I concur with your approach

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I really considered it as I would like another Egress but not for that $ especially as I don’t like the colour scheme and wanted it just as a way to get another Egress chassis.

There are so many cars on the wanted list… Avante, Fighting Buggy, Big Wig, Boomerang, Bear Hawk and more! I wouldn’t want any prebuilt so they won’t be cheap! 

Plus I have countless unmade kits and conversions still to work on.

And I rarely get any time and that won’t change for at least 6 months!

Anyway, if the rain doesn’t let up soon I will need to shift to RC boats ;) 

Yeah,  I think it's the same way for me on the black Avante.. I like the decals it comes with, but not sure I want to pay north if $550 for one.. I have a NIB rere still, so one day I will build it with my own black edition theme, I think.  :D   

I still plan on getting that XRay F1 down the road so will hold the budget for that, I suppose.

Fighting Buggy.. that is (was?) currently scheduled after my TurboOptima build, but due to display space I may keep it unbuilt until after I expand my pretend RC shop next summer..  I also want to get that aftermarket suspension kit for my SandScorcher down the road..

I haven't even touched my Bruiser.. I should've bought 2 kits.. build one, keep one NIB when Tamiya had those going for like $550 - $600 a few years ago.. I have a TOYATO, but stashed away in my younger kid's room..lol. 

• Like 1

Continuing my DB01 builld and found out this kind of motor connection location won't fit under the body. Anyone know if it's easy to desolder the connector on this HW Quicrun motor and then solder it back on the opposite side of the tab?

20221115_214723.jpg