Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Gabranth said:

Continuing my DB01 builld and found out this kind of motor connection location won't fit under the body. Anyone know if it's easy to desolder the connector on this HW Quicrun motor and then solder it back on the opposite side of the tab?

20221115_214723.jpg

Yes. I had to do this when i built my Frog. Easy enough to do with a hot iron.  Just take your time and let it cool in between each one 👍

Build here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

don't worry, already have magnetic mounts for it, totally agree about body posts! :) 

+1

Though I use them on my 911 body for plugless lighting. And found a way to make them fit in ;)

20220523-205628.jpg

Body pins are just there to retain the springs. I put them a couple coils down to retain the spring to the post. Then a ring terminal glued to the underside of the body.

PXL-20220320-215533494.jpg

I love modifying lexan bodies, and having the 3d printer is also a gigantic plus! Love mine!

-RC Perspective

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ordered a dust cover for my TT01. Realised it had anti spray film.

Quick mask, and some intentional wavy black lines.

Sprayed quick and dirty in this order:

Black lines (jar, dont know)

Mica Blue (PS)

Mica Red (TS)

Metallica Orange (PS)

Fluorescent Yellow (PS)

Lines, thin Floure4scant Yellow

Letters thin Transparent yellow.

Backed with silver.

I'm actually loving the subtle bleed though on the black. Gives it a sort of cartoon look.

Gutted the H isn't caps too.....

20221115_021920.thumb.jpg.8f0b7320d8bb8889531f19b0607928cb.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, berman said:

Stripped my DT03. Will wait for the new chassis parts to arrive. Pretty much broke the whole front chassis off (was hanging on by a corner), I see how this is a common occurrence and easy to do.

IhodtFt.jpeg

Hey @berman if you're interested in a mod that protects against this happening, I made something out of common spares and M3 rod which has done the job effectively. See here:

20220116_221059

• Like 4

9 hours ago, toyolien said:

Yes. I had to do this when i built my Frog. Easy enough to do with a hot iron.  Just take your time and let it cool in between each one 👍

Awesome, thanks a lot. That's exactly what I have in mind.

My alloy diff case finally came for my Mojave so I built that, factory is 100k fluid and after approx 8-9 packs, there seems to be excessive wear on the washers that go behind the sun gears, so I bought some 500k, 50k, and 30k (couldn't find diff fluid between 50 and 500k) and made a concoction with the 500 and 50k. With my eyechrometer (bonafide legitimate unit of measurement in NZ) I came up with a viscosity of about somewhere between 50 and 500k 👍

Also stopped by the LHS after work and picked up a Savox to replace the temporary stand-in 1983 Futaba S-148, so yeah... metal geared 7kg servo incase it rolls off the shelf. 🤷

QGycR9t.jpeg

HCMQGll.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Hey @berman if you're interested in a mod that protects against this happening, I made something out of common spares and M3 rod which has done the job effectively. 

That support brace is a very cool home remedy 👍

It's certainly something I will consider, probably after I've used up the 2 extra chassis tree's my LHS bought in 🙄😄

4 hours ago, berman said:

That support brace is a very cool home remedy 👍

It's certainly something I will consider, probably after I've used up the 2 extra chassis tree's my LHS bought in 🙄😄

I fitted it to a new chassis. It wouldn't fix a broken one but it does seem effective in prevention. 

• Like 1

Awesome updates, everyone.  @FoxShot how does that dust cover go on your TT01?   I'd like to see it on the car if possible.  Nice work on the decor..kind of has that cool custom skateboard design vibe.  B)

For me, I got my 3rd Pfizer booster 2 days ago and I was pretty much out all day yesterday.  Finally picking myself up and piecing together where I left off.. only to be reminded today is money making gig day at the office.  :wacko: craps.

I should be getting the top CF deck for my TurboOptima tomorrow, so I think I can start building the chassis this coming weekend..I also ordered the lower tray to protect the gold anodized coating, an advice a nice Instagrammer (sp?) recommended to me so will install that after everything is completed.

I am still waiting for my XV01 kit and misc parts to arrive out of Japan.. takes forever to get here it seems, even by air.  No rush so it's fine.   I haven't given up hope, but my Egress should be shipping soon.. maybe..not sure.   Wish me hope.. :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Awesome updates, everyone.  @FoxShot how does that dust cover go on your TT01?   I'd like to see it on the car if possible.  Nice work on the decor..kind of has that cool custom skateboard design vibe.  B)

Thanks. It is literally held down with a body clip round the ariel tube. You can see a small hole near the top of the middle right point. I do have some foam round the edge of my chassis tub too that I fitted to improve the aerodynamics, along with a rear fully profiled bumper foam

.Screenshot_20221116-183107_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.6499a0aeaf2f99f04a71b6b12fb0a0cf.jpg 

Made a Go Pro/AEE magicam mount for it too. Footage is pretty good :)

Going to re think the mounting options now I have a cover...

Screenshot_20221116-183326_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.d0c8451fc350515f238bff9d2265d28b.jpg

Rear Bumper.

Screenshot_20221116-183215_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.e24ccc0493839dd74be1bd5bd057efa1.jpg

Did similar to the front

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

I fitted it to a new chassis. It wouldn't fix a broken one but it does seem effective in prevention. 

Something I will certainly look into, thanks for the info 🙂

I finished my first Clod Buster.

I've wanted one of these since I was 8 or 9 years old. They were always too expensive when rereleased or way too expensive for an original. This latest rerelease just hit the sweet spot and I couldn't help myself.

I've only driven it once but it's such a riot. I'm using a pair of Team Brood 23-turn matched, 0-timing motors and it's just the right speed for the character of the truck.

Painted the body tonight. I don't want to use the hard body because I know those get expensive and desirable when the inevitable discontinuation happens again so I'll just hold onto that..

QUsnrQ0.jpg

LKhNKem.jpg

MSTZqF1.jpg

Well worth the 30 year wait! 

• Like 12

20 hours ago, berman said:

With my eyechrometer (bonafide legitimate unit of measurement in NZ) 

Can confirm this is true, but we don't talk about it, its why our Americas Cup yachts (can you call them yachts still?) are so fast.

Speaking of yachts, started making a new rudder for the Racing Sparrow today. My son picked it up to bring out to show someone and snapped the last one. Luckily just the rudder and not the hull...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wun1jee said:

QUsnrQ0.jpg

Well worth the 30 year wait! 

Never get tired of a bouncy stock-ish clod 🤩

They can easily get out of hand though!

10 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Can confirm this is true, but we don't talk about it, its why our Americas Cup yachts (can you call them yachts still?) are so fast.

Speaking of yachts, started making a new rudder for the Racing Sparrow today. My son picked it up to bring out to show someone and snapped the last one. Luckily just the rudder and not the hull...

We also don't mention the unfed Moana Taniwha attached to the keel 😛

• Haha 1

For me today, decided Willy needs spray bottles for his slip and tack solutions.  :lol:

So with EWH technologies in full effect, made these..  :ph34r:

IMG_2022-11-17-151052.jpg.e23bb0f507429bdbc6024362c30eda88.jpg

IMG_2022-11-17-151107.jpg.75ec3fcb5eeb1c5be9088c29a7132860.jpg

IMG_2022-11-17-151117.jpg.213d08b872ee3bd9b1aa0c5e784be9fd.jpg

Okay, so far so good..  but then.. :blink:

IMG_2022-11-17-151133.jpg.391e88e41e71a04f314ae7d19b09e4bd.jpg  LOL!!! :lol:

Oh, it gets even worse..! :wacko:

IMG_2022-11-17-151154.jpg.060a78c19f8e5a21470579b0e95dce57.jpg   

But when the styrene dust settled.. hope took the win.  B)

IMG_2022-11-17-151203.jpg.3db5def4816eaa33be2f9e26cc0df4c2.jpg

Will give it some color later..  :D 

Update.. got some TS white on there, will paint the essentials and apply decals soon.  

IMG_2022-11-17-170449.jpg.c6c91c975af932e75bd88268544936cd.jpg

Final update for today.  :D 

IMG_2022-11-17-205913.jpg.1ba507c789e341d1b4fe666d43269e5f.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 13

Working on the extended cabine - short bed Juggernaut.

The bed is almost finished, the cabin is coming along nicely.

Love this new saw, it makes quick and straight cuts. Much better then a jigsaw.

OoH7jY6.jpg

• Like 9

For me, did a quick photo shoot of the spray bottles, please check out the gallery-only thread if interested.  B) TIA

So this weekend I think I'm going to start working on the Turbo Optima.  I placed an unplanned order for a Kyosho Beetle the other day.. I got that Pfizer 3rd booster earlier in the week and it made me surf Instagram quite a bit as I was too out of it to do anything... people appeared they were having too much fun with those Beetles over there without me and didn't want to feel left out.  :lol:

Good thing is I finally connected with Kogawa-san and he appeared to have remembered who I was so that was fantastic.  We're going to meet up some day hopefully soon.   I mean my wife was in LA just last week for business, next time I think I'll just tag along or something..  

• Like 1

Speaking of which.. 

I told my wife when she's out on business she leaves a 'hole' in my heart.  (she liked that)

I also told her when she's back she makes my life 'whole'.  (she like that too)

In return she said I am her 'ho'.  :blink:      :lol: haha!  story of my life man.. 

• Like 1

i got back home 2 days ago and didnt do much unpacking yesterday. got most of the merch unpacked though i think i got a few gacha pon on the bag somewhere. the Tomy Takara masterpiece Beast Wars Tigatron WP-50 transformer. it came with 4-5 faces a gun and a few other items. its so easy to put into robot or beast mode that it only takes 64 steps to complete the transformation :wacko:. oh well, i will tackle that a bit later on if i remember to do so.

took a look at the cars i bought. the sileighty snap fit car does require some primer and glue for the body shell, washed the body shell already. will get to that later when i have time. took stock of the GTR33 cars that i purchased while i was there, 4 of them. one is 4.5'' long die cast with opening car doors and front engine hood., it even has some rubber on the wheels. the other 3 are hotwheel sized and require some attention to make complete. i was trying to get a blue and hopefully midnight purple one but my 3 attempts on that single machine got me 2 white and 1 silver GTR/. the silver one had broken rear wing mount. some UHU glue will hopefully fix that. the best part is i need place the tiny mirrors on it and place incredibly small stickers to complete them. not sure of my plans on the 2nd white one but might pin stipe it or paint it. not looking forward to the stickering.

havent started to build the TD JR mini racer...

• Like 2

20221119_111256

This might be better titled "what have you the past month?", but spurred on by watching old monster truck footage on the 'Tube and chatting about the old days with folks like @87lc2 I've been buried in Clod-land. I've been sitting on this old Sassy Chassis repro for years and finally decided to make something inspired by the very first Bennett Clods with it. The test truck with the rats nest of temp wiring on top in the background is inspired by the old ESP Clodzilla 3. Neither are quite finished yet and and neither would likely be competitive in the Sport Mod class they'd probably find themselves in, but being old school, I'm always driven more by Clod history than anything else.

• Like 5

For me, started the Turbo Optima build this morning.   I will put in a few more steps this afternoon.  

IMG_2022-11-19-112334.jpg.5d7611bd666c848710bacfec4394158c.jpg

Update.. I'm going to stop here for today.  So far no issue, no missing screws so that's good.  :D   I masked the bottom of the chassis so that I don't scuff up the gold before getting the polycarbonate tray for it.. which should arrive in a week's time.    This plus the upper CF deck is going to look super pretty, I think.  B)

IMG_2022-11-19-155930.jpg.174822b0db426a7171bba40f771e8ab2.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

I finally finished my Dirt Thrasher. I bought this as an unfinished, never run kit but I think the original owner was a little heavy handed. Both gearboxes had cracks from overtightened screws and the motor mount had cracked and been glued. I think I might stick to NIBs and re-re’s in future 🤔

Tamiya Dirt Thrasher

• Like 9

My 2nd paint job! Came out much better than my 1st. Also learned about backing when using metallic color. Now I want bunch of Tamiya spray cans haha

D28E51DF-8D59-46D5-A9BB-1C409BAC8240.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ministrone said:

I finally finished my Dirt Thrasher. I bought this as an unfinished, never run kit but I think the original owner was a little heavy handed. Both gearboxes had cracks from overtightened screws and the motor mount had cracked and been glued. I think I might stick to NIBs and re-re’s in future 🤔

Tamiya Dirt Thrasher

That's gorgeous. I just love the Dirt Thrasher.

• Like 1