Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another simple fix for me tonight. As you may remember I recently purchased a few MN-45 FJ40 shells to run on the Quick Drive and GF01.

For the QD I 3D printed a mount for the front of the body that with a tab that slots into the recess on the QD chassis.

f7PJLX6.jpg

The body is mounted at the front and rear. The problem is that by mounting the body at the front I was worried about the front of the body snapping in a crash. The front of the car is very thin, especially under the lights, and it didn't feel very strong.

DmGCL3i.jpg

Today I made it a little bit stronger.

PaARwAT.jpg

Using stainless M3 rod and ball joints I was able to reinforce the front. The whole thing feels super solid now.

FvsWi12.jpg

OytAkOX.jpg

It's a tight fit with the shock towers, but it just about squeezes in

G4MbYlZ.jpg

Super happy with it now. I am quite impressed with these bodies, they feel pretty flexible and strong, but the front is a weak point that was never meant to carry load in the way I was asking it to, so this tweak should help when I crash.

• Like 12

It astonishes me how quickly you guys get work done.  I am currently about 25% of the way done getting working trailer legs on my Estes Express pup trailers.  I have legs that work on one trailer, but they need to be painted, and scale looking feet need to be 3d printed and added to it.  the average daily highs have been in the low 30's (fahrenheit) so there hasn't been any painting in months.

• Like 2

I decided my Javelin also needed window nets.  :D   More pictures updated in the gallery thread p60.  Thanks for checking it out if interested.  I love this look..!

IMG_2022-12-12-172536.jpg.e7b940ad010c5800f0f1ca160d96111e.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I decided my Javelin also needed window nets.  :D   More pictures updated in the gallery thread p60.  Thanks for checking it out if interested.  I love this look..!

Love it! What did you use for the nets?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Love it! What did you use for the nets?

Thanks!  :D  

I bought a window net for the HotShot and just cut it to size.  The top hole (mesh pore) is held by the screws on the roof so there is no sag.  

IMG_2022-12-12-172644.jpg.de0bf819b65c45365709c9f51298ae9d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cheated on painting the driver.  

It is a bobble head from X-Rider and arrived in black plastic.  I applied red TS paint on the helmet but ran out halfway through.  Found left over metallic blue PS paint from my BigWig project and applied to helmet and gloves.  I then applied TS gloss to helmet, visor and goggles.  I am surprised how well the visor and goggles look as the gloss is directly over black plastic.  For the body and gloves I applied TS flat (black body is unpainted plastic)

125622A8-8CA0-4F36-90E1-AF0FD1D0E17C.jpeg.aaf781a30ea6498a78450d890d7c4f34.jpeg

• Like 11

Took the Bear (GOM) out for a romp in the snow and she loved it!!!! DAA844D0-C687-4FEC-B36B-A724AB09A7FC.jpg  5BD38EBA-AE23-4A58-969E-0EEFCC971FDA.jpg 5D52AF0F-A9C6-4A79-965C-F21211FFB420.jpg  C6BE8DA2-EBB5-4301-805E-247C05C6D259.jpg The shortened GOM chassis seems to have taken on a new life especially on in slippery snow. Only problem is I skidded into the bird bath that you can see in the picture and it almost shattered the body shell. Maybe the Lexan doesn’t like the cold or it’s not good Lexan. I Have noticed some paint flaking off but it is Tamiya PS Camel yellow so it shouldn’t!!! C4CA7728-C002-40F1-A481-2DB1E96DFC9B.jpg Going to let it all dry out then see what I can do with it. It’s a pity as this body is spot on for this chassis and was difficult to find. L&L may have another!!! As a shelf body!

• Like 11

Strimmed a patch of waste ground I have, raked up all the grass and weeds and ran a pack through the buggy on it. Then spent nearly as long cleaning it. So much grass in the suspension and drive shafts! Idea is to create a patch of dirt to run RCs on, but it needs more work before it's cleared enough for good running. Plenty big enough for postal racing. Aiming for fairly bare dirt, or at least something I can run a mower over on a low setting, although it'll never be flat.

Last night I had tinkered with the DT-03 shocks, now much more lightly damped and running much better. But the lightest oil I have is 200 CST and that's not light enough for the fronts (DF-03 Aluminium damper set requires much lighter oil than stock CVAs). 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Frankster said:

I cheated on painting the driver.  

It is a bobble head from X-Rider and arrived in black plastic.  I applied red TS paint on the helmet but ran out halfway through.  Found left over metallic blue PS paint from my BigWig project and applied to helmet and gloves.  I then applied TS gloss to helmet, visor and goggles.  I am surprised how well the visor and goggles look as the gloss is directly over black plastic.  For the body and gloves I applied TS flat (black body is unpainted plastic)

125622A8-8CA0-4F36-90E1-AF0FD1D0E17C.jpeg.aaf781a30ea6498a78450d890d7c4f34.jpeg

Aha.. so you got something like my battleship red theme going .. which is blue.  :lol:

Driver looks good..

• Haha 3

Bit more fine tuning today... 

First, fitted this fluorescent yellow HT servo saver to my TA03 David Jun restoration, which works nicely with the fluorescent yellow springs, stabilisers, rims and body parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then fitted these aluminium steering arms to my TA04-RR project...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

Looks good, @Juhunio!   That dual deck CF chassis is :wub:

For me, I was hoping to start the Kyosho Beetle today, but due to my pointing finger still bleeding when forced, I decided to pass.  I am expecting my 7PXR and a few receivers for it today so I suppose play with that a little to familiarize myself with it.  I will be running it on my 420X build in the coming month followed by Fantom, and F104.  I plan to convert my Hakosuka GTR to run off that propo too since this will be my radio for onroad cars going forward until the day I die.

Which means I will have 2 FASST receivers that can be used on the Xpress XM1 Competiton m-chassis I will finally build next year as well as maybe do a Tamiya M06 Beetle down the road.  B)

Today I finally received the bottom tray for my Turbo Optima, so will see if I can fit that on... wish me hope.  :ph34r:

Update.. thanks to @Gebbly, I remembered to back up my model files on my DX5Pro.  Even though this is a 2021 model they take Class6 or older MicroSD cards.. :blink:   luckily my wife had an old C2, so it worked.. my C10 did not.. 

IMG_2022-12-13-124334.jpg.8791da6d44c947f16f5002f7358206c4.jpg

Update.. 7PXR fired up.  B)  Now I finally feel the pretend RC shop is modernized..  sort of.. :ph34r:  :lol:

IMG_2022-12-13-133359.jpg.a39f717cad90c813ec0e4c93e795fafa.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

@bRIBEGuy the 7PXR is perfect.  Super easy to bind FASST receivers and no need to change antenna modes like on the 4PKS-R like between C1 / C2 once binded.  The 7PXR saves the RF protocol with the model memory so you just select the model and you're ready to go. 

IMG_2022-12-13-150752.jpg.2cd69878891fc126c3cba8e328365d07.jpg

IMG_2022-12-13-150807.jpg.302f0b08affcd76fc6b5d97449990d6e.jpg

The radio is beautifully crafted as expected from a premium radio.   Like the Lexus of sorts.  Only downside I could think of is it is power hungry like the 4PKS-R.  I ran a freshly charged (uncycled) Futaba NiMH 1800 and it lasted one full hour fiddling around with it with antenna turned on.  So it is good to have at least a second battery pack just in case.  It can take 4AA's for programming while pitted (antenna off) in display mode...or opt for different chemistries.

I'm going to move the steering wheel down next..

Final update.. wheel drop down installed.  :D   

IMG_2022-12-13-160410.jpg.0eaf7079ed436e46dc0ad24f6726c7bb.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 5

knty01j.jpg

Finished the wheels and mounts for this, the MF01X Pumpkin, IMHO the Pumpkin/M chassis cross over that Tamiya should have released! 

• Like 11

I received another Tandy Jumbo Van body today. The last one ended up on a GF-01 chassis with widened track width:

IMG_5965

But while I was putting it together I had lots of other thoughts and I'm pondering again now. 

What do people reckon?

It might become a street racer,'m thinking rat rod vibe paired with the big slicks:

Wide van

Or a more sensible 70's-80's themed van:

52102709424_95355f9553_b.jpg

or even a new sized Lunchbox 'the midi lunchbox?! But I'm not sure there is quite enough size difference to be worthwhile:

IMG_7305

• Like 8

6 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I received another Tandy Jumbo Van body today. The last one ended up on a GF-01 chassis with widened track width:

IMG_5965

But while I was putting it together I had lots of other thoughts and I'm pondering again now. 

What do people reckon?

It might become a street racer,'m thinking rat rod vibe paired with the big slicks:

Wide van

Or a more sensible 70's-80's themed van:

52102709424_95355f9553_b.jpg

or even a new sized Lunchbox 'the midi lunchbox?! But I'm not sure there is quite enough size difference to be worthwhile:

IMG_7305

all great options @GeeWings

Personally I really like the rat rod vibe with the slicks, however that might be a little close in size to the one you have already?

Is the van option on the MF01x? That could be a great trail truck - perhaps could raise up a little and add some scale trail accessories.

I'd definitely keep some off it green (or all of it) it's a cool colour and scratches won't matter, perhaps with a two tone cream like the mini Mad Van.

I do like the Mini CW01 option too. The QD series was almost this exact scale and used the same 115 mm tires as the GF01 - so you could get inspired by the QD Blackfoot, Clod, MB, Pumpkin etc - the QD Lunchy is missing from that line up.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@bRIBEGuy the 7PXR is perfect.  Super easy to bind FASST receivers and no need to change antenna modes like on the 4PKS-R like between C1 / C2 once binded.  The 7PXR saves the RF protocol with the model memory so you just select the model and you're ready to go. 

IMG_2022-12-13-150807.jpg.302f0b08affcd76fc6b5d97449990d6e.jpg

The radio is beautifully crafted as expected from a premium radio.   Like the Lexus of sorts.  Only downside I could think of is it is power hungry like the 4PKS-R.  I ran a freshly charged (uncycled) Futaba NiMH 1800 and it lasted one full hour fiddling around with it with antenna turned on.  So it is good to have at least a second battery pack just in case.  It can take 4AA's for programming while pitted (antenna off) in display mode...or opt for different chemistries.

I'm going to move the steering wheel down next..

Final update.. wheel drop down installed.  :D   

IMG_2022-12-13-160410.jpg.0eaf7079ed436e46dc0ad24f6726c7bb.jpg

That futaba radio looks super slick:wub: I'll pretend I know what you are talking about when ive been reading what it does:blink::lol:  you can get it over in the UK but it's not widely available and it's quite expensive I was just thinking when I was club racing way back in the 80's something like this radio (and all the modern day radio's really) would have been a complete game changer? I don't do any racing and haven't since the nitro days of the mugen seiki mbx6 and spektrum was in it's very early day's and you could see what an Impact that was going to have! Now I'm just a fair weather rc car enthusiast so I couldn't warrant something as fantastic as this! I've just invested in the noble nb4 and its really good perfect for what I need!

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:37 PM, Willy iine said:

Absolutely stunning! The all black and red shocks just brilliant;) I don't go on the gallery thread anymore for various reasons which I can't go into! I've had to put an ignore block on it unfortunately 

But that looks super cool mate! It's the one kyosho I haven't got simply because I got the original optima late on and this came out at the same time so I just went for the optima!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

all great options @GeeWings 

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the rat rod idea but, like you said, it’s probably too similar. Also I’ve already got a black lunchbox body that I’m planning to sand to a matt finish with a couple of evil wire decals which will kind of go that route.

The Van option I mocked-up was on some cheap 1:18 chassis (non Tamiya) but I do now have a spare MF01x so that could be an option.

I really like the idea of a slightly scaled down Lunchbox. I just don’t want it with the exact same size rims and tyres. I might do a search around and see if I can find something to the same design but smaller.

Decisions, decisions!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moffman said:

That futaba radio looks super slick:wub: I'll pretend I know what you are talking about when ive been reading what it does:blink::lol:  you can get it over in the UK but it's not widely available and it's quite expensive I was just thinking when I was club racing way back in the 80's something like this radio (and all the modern day radio's really) would have been a complete game changer? I don't do any racing and haven't since the nitro days of the mugen seiki mbx6 and spektrum was in it's very early day's and you could see what an Impact that was going to have! Now I'm just a fair weather rc car enthusiast so I couldn't warrant something as fantastic as this! I've just invested in the noble nb4 and its really good perfect for what I need!

Thanks, this radio is a game changer for me as it does several things I cannot do with my 4PKS-R and DX5Pro.  My 4PKS-R was a dead end for me anyway when I found out I could no longer get their FASST receivers.  :(

The biggest reason I got the 7PXR is because I wanted a radio that can bind currently available FHHS receivers including the Mini-Z receivers while having backwards compatibility with my existing FASST receivers.  Basically handing off the baton to the next phase of my RC chapter.  There is no other radio that I know of that can do this.  .. and with super ease changing the RF protocols.  Initial cost is high for a radio, but I look at the whole picture.  I'm going run this what 15 years?  That means $700/15 = less than $50 a year or less than $0.15 a day.  That's super cheap.   

Considering my JR R1 from pre-2000 still works, I don't see why this radio would not.  Even if the screen died in 7.5 yrs, that's still only $100 a year..  and $100 these days is worthless.. 

I'm going to continue running the DX5Pro in parallel on my off-road and comicals.  I like Spektrum for long run times with even AA batteries and 250 model memory.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moffman said:

Absolutely stunning! The all black and red shocks just brilliant;) I don't go on the gallery thread anymore for various reasons which I can't go into! I've had to put an ignore block on it unfortunately 

But that looks super cool mate! It's the one kyosho I haven't got simply because I got the original optima late on and this came out at the same time so I just went for the optima!

Thanks, I really like the Javelin in black.  :D   I like black cars in general (my 1:1 is black) and the red accents really come through.

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago, but I think the thread is there for good intentions to prevent repost of the same pictures over and over when someone quotes it.  I mean I already pollute the internets, I would feel bad if someone unintentionally repeat polluted it even more.  :lol:  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the rat rod idea but, like you said, it’s probably too similar. Also I’ve already got a black lunchbox body that I’m planning to sand to a matt finish with a couple of evil wire decals which will kind of go that route.

The Van option I mocked-up was on some cheap 1:18 chassis (non Tamiya) but I do now have a spare MF01x so that could be an option.

I really like the idea of a slightly scaled down Lunchbox. I just don’t want it with the exact same size rims and tyres. I might do a search around and see if I can find something to the same design but smaller.

Decisions, decisions!

The TLT tires could work well here, also the fronts for the farm king. Blitzer rears are also worth a look? @OoALEJOoO did an MF01x MF01x which compared lots of tires on the MF01x.

MF01x with the Sandler's paddles as an off road scale trailer would be great too! 

Thanks again @Nikko85 all good ideas! The farm king fronts had sprung to mine already and I’ve managed to find rims but not tyres yet.

Initially I also didn’t really want to spend a ton of cash on this so it might be I go with the van as I already have sand tyres that I think fit well with it (as in previous pic).