Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got my wallet out today and pressed "buy" on something I've had on my radar for a good couple of years.

The chassis was £120. Sounds like near the final price, no?

NO.

And yet I knew this and but still do it. Again.

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Oh I think there's a bit more to it than that. My own effort didn't quite evoke the same sense of, er [looking like a car?]. 

Reduce Reuse Recycle

There is something pretty cool and I-dont-give-a-dang-y about this! 😉

No all-purpose cleaner container has ever been more glorified, that's for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

No all-purpose cleaner container has ever been more glorified, that's for sure.

To be fair, it's Ecover so fairly Gucci...

I too have been playing Santa. Because he's only four Christmas is still pretty magical for Mini EvilSpike. He's tried hard to be a good little sausage, and he's worked very hard at school the past four months. Anyway, because he's done so well, Santa has brought him some presents!

52584474948_172670a283_b.jpg

The remains of a carrot, a vanished mince pie and a long departed glass of port. Even footprints! Irrefutable evidence that Santa has been...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Oh I think there's a bit more to it than that. My own effort didn't quite evoke the same sense of, er [looking like a car?]. 

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Ha! I remember this from around the time your first joined I think? Legendary, you've taken sponsorship to the next level bud!👍😎😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EvilSpike said:

I got my wallet out today and pressed "buy" on something I've had on my radar for a good couple of years.

The chassis was £120. Sounds like near the final price, no?

NO.

And yet I knew this and but still do it. Again.

Don't we all mate🙄... not to worry though, the guilt fades with time!😂

Oh and nice work work the Santa visit hoax, we've done very similar this eve for our 5yr and 3yr old boys. In particular, the 5yr old is very excited this year. Lap up these golden years I say, it's the last chance we have to experience the real magic of Christmas again!🌲🥳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas one and all!!!🌲🥳 

Have a great holiday, hopefully spent with your families and full of RC goodness. Here's to a happy 2023 for everybody and more fun times on the TC forum.

You're all L.E.G.E.N.D.S!👏

• Like 5

Happy Holidays to everyone in this wonderful community, and to your families and loved ones as well. May you all enjoy and be in the moment, in this time of the year that is supposed to be magical for the little ones, but somehow for the less-little-ones as well 🌝🍻🌲🍬🚗🍭🍇🚕🌌☃️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of time of the year, today I renewed my subscription to the TC main site, along with similar -although not as fun- things to be done at the end of the year.

And I had another, most enjoyable run outdoors with the Manta and the Boss in the wintery landscape (not exactly today, a few days ago, but only got around to posting now).

20221224-192131.jpg

20221219-140412-2.gif

20221219-140613.jpg

20221224-191632.jpg

20221224-192042.jpg

❄❄❄

Plans for my short, staycation-y holidays are to try and re-center myself generally speaking (easier said than done 🤯🤪), maybe try to finish a side art project OR, even better, if I manage to align some stars in the cosmostorm inside my head..... just jump on that Optima Mid build already. It's been waiting for a good six months now!

Happy holidays again everybody, enjoy your family and your RC activity 👏

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Ah don't be so hard on yourself mate, just needs a bit of refinement!? Some cutouts and a bit of framework for a cockpit, plus a nosecone of some kind?

Did I say some cutting? I meant a LOT of cutting! What you see with my car is tons of mistakes and offcuts and cursing over the last 2+ years... it's been a constant evolution into what you now see, and I got really lucky with a lot of it. Plus I painted it red to blend in with the red chassis--without that, it would be a totally different look and probably more obvious that it's homemade. And the bumper off my Nikko Big Bubba gearbox (R.I.P.) just so happened to fit perfectly as a roll cage.

In your case I see a great base that actually fits the chassis pretty well! Maybe just flip the wing so it's concave to provide downforce instead of lift? I like that you've stayed truly eco friendly by not painting, and in fact using all the same single bottle for the whole car... 1 bottle = 1 body. Whereas by comparison there are 4 body pieces on my car, and somehow I managed to take sections of at least 6 different bottles in the quest for the right look! (or the correction of a silly mistake)

The one thing I will suggest is to use clear bottles if possible. Cut the pieces out to size, drill holes if necessary, and then just wash and paint them up like Lexan. Some of the pieces are even thicker and stronger than some Lexan bodies. The biggest challenge is finding pieces with suitable bends and curves, but if you've got enough framework underneath, there's always something to zip tie to. I also take a lot of tiny thin cuts at the end before I'm ever really satisfied with the fitment. It's a lot of trial and error.

And sometimes like with this nosecone, I'll go through the whole process of finishing something, then sit back and think, well that's not right. So I let it fester, roll it around a bit in my brain, and eventually the idea forms for how to move forward. This one was quick, though. Only a few months between making the last nosecone and this one. It was really grinding on me. :lol:

• Like 1

@Willy iine absolutely superb all of them can't pick out a favourite they are all top shelf:wub: just spent about an hour looking at them! What is the buggy in photos 27 downwards? And to see a genuine willy's wheeler and box in mint condition:wub: do you have a tug of war on which manufacturer you prefer on quality like I do? When I'm building the kyosho's I'm thinking this is the top quality but then as I'm doing now building a tamiya (egress black edition) and thinking no this is the top quality? :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

@Willy iine absolutely superb all of them can't pick out a favourite they are all top shelf:wub: just spent about an hour looking at them! What is the buggy in photos 27 downwards? And to see a genuine willy's wheeler and box in mint condition:wub: do you have a tug of war on which manufacturer you prefer on quality like I do? When I'm building the kyosho's I'm thinking this is the top quality but then as I'm doing now building a tamiya (egress black edition) and thinking no this is the top quality? :rolleyes:

Thanks!!   :D  That buggy you mentioned is an Amazon junk RTR I converted to a Willy theme.  

Yeah, both Kyosho and Tamiya have their strengths in their own quirky ways.  This is why I enjoy having both for the variety in flavor.  

I’m going to start the MID-night today.. my own Optima MID black version B)   .. :wacko:..wish me hope please .. :ph34r:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I’m going to start the MID-night today.. my own Optima MID black version B)   .. wish me hope please .. :ph34r:

Excellent! Got to see that when its finished:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Excellent! Got to see that when its finished:D

Thanks.  My biggest concern is the gold damper color.. the theme is grayscale with red accent.. not sure how gray and gold would go together.  I may need to source red dampers, but unsure whether there is one from Kyosho with the threaded spring collar (top perch) like the factory MID dampers.. :wacko:

That said, just now I requested my son to take one of my Optima MID pictures and photoshop it to the theme I have in mind.   If all fails I will order 3rd party dampers and run with it. 

Update.. no issue with the gold wheels after seeing my son's photoshop.    I just need to remember to

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks.  My biggest concern is the gold damper color.. the theme is grayscale with red accent.. not sure how gray and gold would go together.  I may need to source red dampers, but unsure whether there is one from Kyosho with the threaded spring collar (top perch) like the factory MID dampers.. :wacko:

That said, just now I requested my son to take one of my Optima MID pictures and photoshop it to the theme I have in mind.   If all fails I will order 3rd party dampers and run with it. 

Update.. no issue with the gold wheels after seeing my son's photoshop.    I just need to remember to

Sounds like a cool design and colour scheme @Willy iine, soon you'll have a 'Dark fleet' of badass dark side machines😎😉

Could you remove the anodised gold colour? Someone on here removed the blue from Tamiya parts previously, I think using chemicals. @matisse, was that you bud?👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Sounds like a cool design and colour scheme @Willy iine, soon you'll have a 'Dark fleet' of badass dark side machines😎😉

Could you remove the anodised gold colour? Someone on here removed the blue from Tamiya parts previously, I think using chemicals. @matisse, was that you bud?👍

Happy to see that my aversion to Tamiya Blue lives on in the forum memory.

it was indeed, drain/oven cleaner did the trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matisse said:

Happy to see that my aversion to Tamiya Blue lives on in the forum memory.

it was indeed, drain/oven cleaner did the trick.

Thanks!  Does the metal need any coating afterwards or will it not turn white (aluminum rust each time it condensates or gets wet?) 

Anyway got the body test fitted (just used my existing chassis for now) and painted.. will work on the decals later today..and start the chassis tomorrow.  

IMG_2022-12-25-123749.jpg.776f5af7c562ea48a7115f76106a1271.jpg

IMG_2022-12-25-123818.jpg.7650955f609601527f79e12b7998a1ef.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks!  Does the metal need any coating afterwards or will it not turn white (aluminum rust each time it condensates or gets wet?) 

On the parts ive stripped a polish with autosol did the trick. Its worth noting though that its not foolproof. Some anodising is more persistent than others 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today has been good so far.
I built and fitted the nice Tamiya Aluminum shocks to my CC02, so that completes the upgrades I've done this month to that one.
I also fitted a whole bunch of Yeah Racing parts to my CC02, mostly the steering stuff, which seems to help with that particular weakness of that chassis.  I did also get some CVD front drive shafts, so those are on too, as well as some wheel hub extenders, and some Carson wheels and pre glued tires that look great.  Makes the truck sit wider, which looks awesome, however the tires hit the arches of the Pajero body, which is less awesome. Not sure if I should trim the body, but for now I will just run it standard width again

Then, I got my Optima Turbo kit opened up. Will start that probably after dinner, but no rush on it, probably will finish it mid week

super fun day :-) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Anyway got the body test fitted (just used my existing chassis for now) and painted.. will work on the decals later today..and start the chassis tomorrow.  

IMG_2022-12-25-123749.jpg.776f5af7c562ea48a7115f76106a1271.jpg

On a very quick scroll down the page I saw that and thought "ooh that's pretty", then almost immediately "I've got one of those to build!" Merry Christmas! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Holidays everyone.  I hope Santa brought you all some RC gifts. My wife allowed me to pick my up another RC car as my gift 🥳

In other news, kids had a visitor last night

759EFB54-27FB-4AE1-A79E-7ED7C616A89C.jpeg.df5892aa61d6448c8e74e12c1fb56037.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kol__ said:

👍

So I was working on the MID black body yesterday and decided I'm going to do 2 variations of the black body.. one in a lively black race car theme (on it now), and one in a dark and mysterious looking theme.  It will be on the same* chassis..

*but you know, these things change all the time.  lol.  :lol: 

Today I'm going to finish up the decals on the MID black race car body and the start the build.  

• Like 1