Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/26/2022 at 12:25 PM, Ziddan said:

Yesterday i started and Today i finished up the front end of my (xmas gift) Blackfoot.

After some research i decided to go with m3s and nylocks in the indicated locations for more strength, drilling through holes in the uprights.

Gonna prep and sub assemble everything i am able to as i have to wait for bearings.

byAsBnI.jpg

Good idea doing it from the start, it really strengthens up those lower shock mounts. I've had to through-bolt mine recently as well, due to a small breakage.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:54 PM, alvinlwh said:

I have all of them 😁

You are missing a Torque Tuned and if you want for completeness, a UGT but I don't think they are worth it over a GT.

Well now look at what you’ve made me do…order a UGT motor :lol:

49 minutes ago, msgimartin said:

Where did you order it from?

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Where did you order it from?

Tamico. It wasn’t the cheapest option, but since I was already ordering a kit and paying the shipping to the US, threw it in. 

After spending 2 weekends in vacation parks, wife decided that 'we' needed another break and be in another park for the week between Xmas and new year so no Juggernaut work time this week :wacko:.

Luck would have it that I had to be close to home today, so I grabbed basher Big Bear and some tools so I can do some driving these days. :D

24 minutes ago, msgimartin said:

Tamico. It wasn’t the cheapest option, but since I was already ordering a kit and paying the shipping to the US, threw it in. 

Aah i see. I thought you may have found a new shop that I hadn't used before....

4 hours ago, msgimartin said:

Lightly Tuned and already mentioned, CR and FL. And there is the Formula Tuned too, which is different from the FL! 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

think those gray wheels need to be painted 

Yeah your right;) they do need a coat of gun metal I'll probably do that when the weather gets better at the moment its just damp and cold I did the same thing with my wheels of my topforce evo last year and because of the horrible weather they went all cloudy:wacko:.........once bitten!

• Like 1

Jury's out on my undertray I have a spare one so I thought I would experiment the photo doesn't do it justice the colour match is pretty close but in the photo it looks darker? 

20221227_124205.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah your right;) they do need a coat of gun metal I'll probably do that when the weather gets better at the moment its just damp and cold I did the same thing with my wheels of my topforce evo last year and because of the horrible weather they went all cloudy:wacko:.........once bitten!

Yeah, I didn't mean to push my thoughts on you, but if you do decide to paint them I think the return will be quite rewarding.  :D 

I too have issues painting in winter where the air is just too dry and static is a huge problem. The overspray paint particles recirculate itself into the paint and ends up with a dusty finish + foreign matter.  :blink: I decided I will not do any gloss exterior painting in the winter unless it's a small item like Willy's accessory where I can constantly blow air at it without overwhelming my ghetto paint booth filter..so the Fighting Buggy was postponed indefinitely.. will probably just keep it NIB.   Polycarbonate body painting is do-able, and exterior matte and semi-gloss finishes are fine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Gecko said:

it really strengthens up those lower shock mounts. I've had to through-bolt mine recently as well, due to a small breakage.

After some reading it really seemed like the only way to go, with all the other through bolts in the are it just seems odd that they would have a plastic self tapper to hold that, is even a hole on both sides, just have to drill a little bit to make it a through hole.

The added strength from the compression seems likely to make the shock mount standoff quite indestructible unless one does completely insane thing with the car.

I guess its one of those lovable quirks Tamiya has. :P

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I didn't mean to push my thoughts on you, but if you do decide to paint them I think the return will be quite rewarding.  :D 

I too have issues painting in winter where the air is just too dry and static is a huge problem. The overspray paint particles recirculate itself into the paint and ends up with a dusty finish + foreign matter.  :blink: I decided I will not do any gloss exterior painting in the winter unless it's a small item like Willy's accessory where I can constantly blow air at it without overwhelming my ghetto paint booth filter..so the Fighting Buggy was postponed indefinitely.. will probably just keep it NIB.   Polycarbonate body painting is do-able, and exterior matte and semi-gloss finishes are fine.

No definitely more thoughts the better! I did think about blowing them over with TS clear gloss but I'm not sure and thats definitely in warm weather (which in the UK is generally one day in July!) But I'm definitely going to give them a light coat of TS gunmetal? I painted a Ford ranger in the mid winter about 5 years ago and OMG what an absolute mess it turned out so in the summer I completely stripped it back and the difference was unbelievable purely down to the weather! What paint did you use on your egress black edition wheels any chance of a close up photo of the finished wheels? So I can have some idea!

img37842_25102014121311_3_1100_.jpg

IMG_20170910_081801.jpg

• Like 1

Lost my Jauce virginity last month and parts arrived today.  $15 parts with $30 shipping.  Didn’t expect that…

IWp8xQK.jpg

QwlOaZ0.jpg

• Like 1

I had 4 days off over Christmas (24th-27th) and with social engagements, then a day at the MCG (watching the Australian cricket team demolish South Africa), all combined with 35°C heat meant I prioritised time in the pool over RC'ing.

The weather should be mild for the rest of today, so I have asked my wife to charge some LiPos for me later this afternoon so I can go for a drive after work, before the weather heats up again until Tuesday.

I'm glad to see many of you were treated to new RC's from Santa - you must have all made his 'Nice' list this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziddan said:

After some reading it really seemed like the only way to go, with all the other through bolts in the are it just seems odd that they would have a plastic self tapper to hold that, is even a hole on both sides, just have to drill a little bit to make it a through hole.

The added strength from the compression seems likely to make the shock mount standoff quite indestructible unless one does completely insane thing with the car.

I guess its one of those lovable quirks Tamiya has. :P

Good shout @Ziddan, I did the same on mine after they both broke, vintage plastics didn't exactly help there. I would suggest to also add some 7mm (internal measurement) brass tube to the mounting point to provide extra reinforcement. Inexpensive, easy to cut and is the exact diameter of mount, so is a snug fit👍

j8RdSfz.jpeg

Yg5uRPc.jpeg

qF1IkOJ.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, moffman said:

No definitely more thoughts the better! I did think about blowing them over with TS clear gloss but I'm not sure and thats definitely in warm weather (which in the UK is generally one day in July!) But I'm definitely going to give them a light coat of TS gunmetal? I painted a Ford ranger in the mid winter about 5 years ago and OMG what an absolute mess it turned out so in the summer I completely stripped it back and the difference was unbelievable purely down to the weather! What paint did you use on your egress black edition wheels any chance of a close up photo of the finished wheels? So I can have some idea!

I'm not sure if you're kidding since I posted TS38 like 10x already since I posted my Egress Black edition :lol:, but that is a Tamiya laquer spray in gunmetal.   Your Ford looks good!

IMG_2022-12-1-174955.jpg.24be2b1b4c1f26ca7f9fbe5d22e3ff77.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Good shout @Ziddan, I did the same on mine after they both broke, vintage plastics didn't exactly help there. I would suggest to also add some 7mm (internal measurement) brass tube to the mounting point to provide extra reinforcement. Inexpensive, easy to cut and is the exact diameter of mount, so is a snug fit👍

j8RdSfz.jpeg

Yg5uRPc.jpeg

qF1IkOJ.jpeg

Interesting hack.  Reminds me to take my MB out for a drive….  Have not modified the suspension… yet 😅

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, moffman said:

@Sgt.Speirs That looks absolutely stunning:wub: is that a restoration?

img_5942shirm.jpg

It starts as a transmission conversion for a King Cab and ended as a restoration of a Hilux Monster Racer :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I'm not sure if you're kidding since I posted TS38 like 10x already since I posted my Egress Black edition :lol:, but that is a Tamiya laquer spray in gunmetal.   Your Ford looks good!

IMG_2022-12-1-174955.jpg.24be2b1b4c1f26ca7f9fbe5d22e3ff77.jpg

No definitely not kidding! If your showing on the "rc gallery" thread I've got an ignore on it unfortunately,  yeah I'm definitely going to give them a coat that's why I haven't done the tyre lettering on them yet because I know I'm taking the tyres off! And on a different note I must be getting the hang of building these rc buggies because this is the second time I've built one and everything has been absolutely spot on with the steering and camber etc :D

• Like 1

I got a Dancing Rider for Christmas so started with the painting the body. Went with a funky colour combo.

20221229_085223.jpg

20221229_085247.jpg

20221229_085111.jpg

• Like 9

On 12/27/2022 at 1:25 AM, Ziddan said:

Yesterday i started and Today i finished up the front end of my (xmas gift) Blackfoot.

After some research i decided to go with m3s and nylocks in the indicated locations for more strength, drilling through holes in the uprights.

Gonna prep and sub assemble everything i am able to as i have to wait for bearings.

byAsBnI.jpg

How long are the M3’s?   Simple cheap upgrades will be good for my MB

For me still resting from RC today, but I got this one spot open on my Kyosho buggy shelf and wondering if I should just build the TurboScorpion NIB sleeping in the closet and fill that space.. or get the Ultima.. or keep it open for thr Fantom. 

My Tamiya painted metallic pink plated NeoScorcher is sitting there and looks is out of place.  :wacko:

So I will work on that today to decide what I'm going to do to wrap up 2022..

• Like 1