Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had a little time today to do some more work on the EVO. As this is my first NIB shelf queen and a fairly high spec kit, I decided to go ott on the decals and cut away all the clear for the first time. Takes an age and then requires a delicate hand for application as the structural strength of the decal is reduced in areas. Here's the wing decals...

HWfvnCH.jpeg

Bn7SqdZ.jpeg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Ha ha ha... I use putty, and @Willy iine shows how easily he can do a better job using nothing!   ;)

In all seriousness, I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not... and since it cracked on the seam during installation, I'm guessing not.  Oh well... learning experience.  On the plus side... head is on!

N8PqXYU.jpg
HCwzb3U.jpg
M4tR6My.jpg

Nice job, it looks great 😀👍

• Thanks 1

I've been in some sort of "Kyosho Shocks OCDland" for the past couple days 😅, and now I can finally snap out of it (at least for the time being). Here's a link to the post showing what all that thinking produced, just in case it can be useful for anybody trying to win a battle against leaking goldishocks...

• Like 4

For me, I too am working on a Willy figure.. since I assigned Collin to handle Kyosho, this Willy will take over Collin’s previous space.  :D 

I’m going to name him soon..  going to paint his face and hands tonight.  I lacquer primed his hands so that I hope enamel will dry instead of continuing to interact with the plastic. 

IMG_2023-1-4-170148.jpg.e76e84ac1369552c997b9e0c0a9044a0.jpg

IMG_2023-1-4-170202.jpg.8aa4db471286f527a61dffcf846f22f7.jpg

Final update..  looks like the primer did the trick.  . :D  Meet Paul.  

IMG_2023-1-4-214937.jpg.5bdcb3fffd2ea8cd4b746de0ab583afa.jpg

IMG_2023-1-4-215007.jpg.bf68f4e5dbebf4470a22fd30f3352fe2.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Had a little time today to do some more work on the EVO. As this is my first NIB shelf queen and a fairly high spec kit, I decided to go ott on the decals and cut away all the clear for the first time. Takes an age and then requires a delicate hand for application as the structural strength of the decal is reduced in areas. Here's the wing decals...

HWfvnCH.jpeg

Bn7SqdZ.jpeg

Now that's total dedication. I very much approve 👍

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Now that's total dedication. I very much approve 👍

Thanks mate, I may live to regret this approach though!😂

Today I also dug out my fluro yellow Tamiya stardish wheels and aftermarket blue alloy shocks with fluro yellow springs.

yIoQd8y.jpeg

These were originally destined for my DF-02 runner build, but I've decided to now use them on my DF-01 to Top Force conversion, also to be a runner. Testing out the look with the standard PS-23 Gun metal grey 2021 EVO body shell.

zMRhd7X.jpeg

2xaSmbQ.jpeg

ym6uKLL.jpeg

My initial thoughts are that it doesn't look as refined or as grown up as the box art, but for a runner, this should be fun!😁

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Great choice, it works really well with the Gulf livery IMO 👍

spacer.png

You have the much nicer short wheelbase body. I am using the simple TT-02 version.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

Masking for the orange paint now.

Edited by Frankster
Spelling
  • Like 2

Tried out the F-104W in an empty restaurant. Rubber slicks on carpet is just not going to work! :P The gyro improved things slightly. 

Changed out the stock 14T pinion for a 19T. Going to give it another test tomorrow. Tables are going by tomorrow so this chassis will be put to shelf soon.

SOIt1AS.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/9/2022 at 10:50 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Almost there…

I have to trim the t-buckles and work out the connection to the knuckles, but action and fit is nice…

ETds6ax.jpg

Finished up the steering rack mod tonight…

Here is the Black Ranger in its current state.

QUChrgd.jpg

A close up view of the mod.

ARFXOvJ.jpg

Added some spacers on the knuckle to help with bump steer.

dStdVDA.jpg

Another view.  Here you see that the chassis is slightly too narrow to mount the servo hence the Servo Plate.

pHCbY5v.jpg

Here are all the parts I used, plus random spacers and hardware I had in my toolbox.

5EAV31o.jpg

Overall it works OK.  I need to tweak the turnbuckles and trim, and start working on removing some of the slop around the front end.  I would call this mod successful, but unnecessary.  It was fun working it out though!

I think I’ll transfer this to my Bush Devil and go back to center steering on the Black Ranger.  Or maybe I’ll try to replicate and/or improve for the Bush Devil…

Terry

ETA - oh yeah, I also rebuilt all four shocks with x-rings and green slime.  They needed a rebuild and I’ve been putting it off…

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Bn7SqdZ.jpeg

Impressive indeed and well worth the effort I reckon. Great work mate!

• Like 2

My pretend artist son helped me make these 1.5 mm height name tags.  :D

Willy, Collin, Paul

IMG_2023-1-5-081643.jpg.5cdbba7fe8c9c53b951810d57cc83a78.jpg

IMG_2023-1-5-081625.jpg.04d1b610de435732a677dccba1c9f3ce.jpg

IMG_2023-1-5-081738.jpg.530acf63847e8b1b1dfb15b6cee00219.jpg

• Like 9

Changed the JK shocks on the girl's GH2 over to Tamiya's CVA during lunchtime.

IjY80SU.jpeg

The JK ones are just too long (fixable with spacers) and firm (not fixable).

QfhErCK.jpeg

Also put in some bling servo mounts for her, not necessary, but every girl like some gold.

0UgZPyQ.jpg

And she loves the sparkle paint job.

tPqBRY1.jpeg

XBPuM8F.jpeg

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Today I also dug out my fluro yellow Tamiya stardish wheels and aftermarket blue alloy shocks with fluro yellow springs.

yIoQd8y.jpeg

These were originally destined for my DF-02 runner build, but I've decided to now use them on my DF-01 to Top Force conversion, also to be a runner. Testing out the look with the standard PS-23 Gun metal grey 2021 EVO body shell.

zMRhd7X.jpeg

2xaSmbQ.jpeg

ym6uKLL.jpeg

My initial thoughts are that it doesn't look as refined or as grown up as the box art, but for a runner, this should be fun!😁

Looking sweeeeeeeet bud :wub:

• Like 2

Finishing a proper holiday Käfer build for my brother in Corsa Grey. This is a tribute to his 1969 Cal Look we built up back in 1980 (with a 1720cc, dual carbs, lightened flywheel!) and complete with his exact CA license plate. Tamiya based this shell on a 1967 (mirrors, bumpers), but the headlights and turn indicators are somewhat 1969 style. The only thing really different from his real one, is he ran a single megaphone pipe strait out the back, one-piece windows and side trim removed. I kept it clean with larger twin factory looking pipes.

T-bar bumpers are custom made. Brass tubing, with steel rod soldered to these and filed down. Inserted a section of antenna tubing into each with CA gel and viola! you can bolt them on with 2mm screws/washers. Front ones went on easy, rears required gluing with CA gel to the lexan for proper alignment with a small thin black tubing at the base.

Wheels are Yeah Racing or (Cross M-Chassis black) five spokes with Pit Shimizu PS-SM-G tires.

Waiting for bulk order of Kyosho Micron 0.4 tape re-stock to complete. I might build out an interior / driver to hide the wiring.

Stock MF-01X chassis, this will be a shelfer.

(modded MF-01X in foreground is the chassis for a street 1986 Porsche 961 build ;). My 959 rallye spec MF-01X build project is getting a functional rallye chassis upgrade! Finally get to post an update on this, soon...)

69449075564__A9366192-B75E-42A3-B7AA-E3EEE02455D9.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5361D.jpeg

IMG_5346.jpeg

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Looking sweeeeeeeet bud :wub:

Thanks mate, it's almost as if it was inspired by a similar colour palette someone on here runs on the same platform😉😎

• Haha 2

For me, started another plant.. my sad attempt at creating a plant Hannah made.. I believe she uses synthetic clay, mine is obviously under the styrene-only rule besides RC hardware..  :blink:

I need to make a couple more leaves, but wish me hope that it gets better please..  :ph34r:

IMG_2023-1-5-120621.jpg.0f51153751a1ccc3c65c39ded34d84ba.jpg

Update.. for comical reasons as it is entertaining to watch people fail all on their (my) own.. :ph34r: 

IMG_2023-1-5-152611.jpg.e21e21582fb068ba69167b0990e673d1.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, studioRS said:

69449075564__A9366192-B75E-42A3-B7AA-E3EEE02455D9.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

That looks so cool. :wub:Great work!

Now I want a M-chassis Beetle. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have been testing the Terra Scorcher for the kids the last days. Yesterday we got 20 cm snow, but on the parking lot I normally run on tarmac there was so windy, so it was partially clear. On the property beside there was ca 100 m2 of even ice, so even a with child friendly motor and nihm you can slide around the whole pack. 

I even wisited my usual gravel spot today and the conditions were superb. The surface is frosen and the structures in it is saturated with small particles of ice and snow. The grip is good, but you can do long slides and get good speed. This is also an efficient way to wear out the full spikes. 

It's a shame that it was not like this while I was driving the last Postal round. Tomorrow we will get another 20 cm with snow, but on Saturday there will be 7C and rain, so sadly it will not last. 

Messaging1672825629664.jpg

_20230105_211637.JPG

• Like 4

On 1/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, Nikko85 said:

This is awesome. I think rear full tracks and a tire and the front would also be something special, but this with full six tracks will also be immense. Can you make the tipper work? I saw something on YT suggesting it was possible, but not seen details.

Was thinking about making the tipper tip, should be real easy. Although I’ve learned most simple/easy things do tend to find a way to become the complete opposite :wacko:. I did check the tires on it and it'd have to have the rear lowered or taller tires, tracks raise it about a cm or so.

I reckon I was taking my staycation a little too seriously (= barely leaving the house due to bad weather/me being in full build mode) so today I grabbed the Boss, oh and the wife 😉, and we went for a frosty walk/truck run in the nearby park. The streets were oddly empty -guess I'm not the only one in home mode- so the Boss got to "walk" itself to its destination.

The run was fun, and quite long since the battery just kept going. By the way, in my own experience, -3° to -8° Celsius is the sweet spot temperature wise for running NiMh: they just last longer at, say, -5° like today than they do when it's colder or warmer. That's just me though, I'm sure there will be others with different experiences!

Some photos of the outing.

20230105-162956-1-h.jpg

20230105-163049-1-i.jpg

Screenshot-20230105-163337-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230105-163553-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230105-163703-Video-Player.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Kol__ said:

yIoQd8y.jpeg

zMRhd7X.jpeg

2xaSmbQ.jpeg

ym6uKLL.jpeg

I like the contrast between this and box art. It's like box art looks fast and high budget but this one is out and out performance! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Sorry. Keep getting duplicate posts for some reason. Is there a way to delete a whole post?