Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a lot of spare time today but I got the two halves of my Hornet back together and have electronics placement just about sorted and all the plastic kart parts trimmed and ready to fix to the chassis.

52623839837_048e5c3b7f_b.jpg

52623839807_8fd40dc5be_b.jpg

I’m adding a rear wing but want something oversized so might just get some lexan and put something together, short term I think I will make do with the standard hornet wing.

52623839792_ab91f6434d_b.jpg

I’ve also got some other parts to fit like the engine and exhausts but am waiting on that as I’ve also picked up a bigger kart cheap so they might work better being even more over scale!

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Sogogi said:

That is looking nice!

I put the red spring (softest one from touring spring set) and works well. Maybe i should try out those wheel/tire set. I think those bigger wheels/tires suit mf01x better for slower trail ride. (And faster rally style machine with tt02 rally)

oh i forgot to ask what those tires are..

1989958F-A50E-4ABD-890F-88DF4F64CC31.jpeg

Thanks. I didn't have a set of those to spare, but they do look nice. I found that with most springs if you lifted up one wheel the whole front would come up with you, The shorter the wheelbase (mine is 196 mm) the more pronounced this was. Now lifting one wheel keeps to other on the floor, which is great for what I have in mind.

The tires are sand paddles that you'd usually get on a grasshopper rear. They provide a good amount of traction and work with m wheels well. They are large, but just about the in realms of realism vs monster truck! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeeWings said:

Not a lot of spare time today but I got the two halves of my Hornet back together and have electronics placement just about sorted and all the plastic kart parts trimmed and ready to fix to the chassis.

52623839837_048e5c3b7f_b.jpg

52623839807_8fd40dc5be_b.jpg

I’m adding a rear wing but want something oversized so might just get some lexan and put something together, short term I think I will make do with the standard hornet wing.

I’ve also got some other parts to fit like the engine and exhausts but am waiting on that as I’ve also picked up a bigger kart cheap so they might work better being even more over scale!

This is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, pressed down the decals with heat this morning, installed front ball diffs, and took it out for a spin.  420X drives so well now with the front ball diffs for my application, I am very happy how this car turns out. :D 

Will post pictures later today in the gallery only thread.  

IMG_2023-1-13-133452.jpg.373593d860729a13158d4846225e0768.jpg

IMG_2023-1-13-133935.jpg.e9f090fc5f9da30d1718b8d0722aeb40.jpg

• Like 10

Printed a servo base to fix the one I broke. Screwed in with a bead of Gorilla glue to keep it waterproof.

oYaUfcm.jpg

image.thumb.png.eab8aae5b96a6c376ee4b5f84c84b357.png

And the Pumpkin got a front brace

6ppW5bf.jpg

k7ryY9A.jpg

Much stiffer now, feels super solid.

• Like 7

After making a thin stand and a small shelf for my STI,  glued Billy’s helmets today, again using extra thin Tamiya plastic cement as I did Willy’s helmet the other week.  

Will work on them over the weekend.. if I’m up for it.  Next car up is Fantom followed by F1 so the M06 Beetle is still a bit in the future. B)

IMG_2023-1-13-171638.jpg.b41ebf32dc5127b452e5bf7eb009a0f6.jpg

IMG_2023-1-13-171105.jpg.4ae3a28db30d7af180c14f00ccd7babd.jpg

• Like 10

Well after buying my mo5 golf kit a couple of weeks ago I've decided to order another one so I can keep one new boxed and build one. That's all I've done today 😉

• Like 4

So for me today.. found a carbon fiber lower deck for my F104 and made the purchase.  

I will note that upon inspecting the factory lower deck, there is absolutely no need to swap to CF unless for cosmetics..  Now if it all turns out well, I won't have to buy the expensive car from another brand and keep my brand oriented to Tamiya. :D

IMG_2023-1-14-083035.jpg.99ba5a50eed3ca41e755b2e1d915ab1d.jpg

• Like 1

Beside that, will be assembling the red trolley I got from ebay and maybe work on the two Billy's today.  :D 

Update.. hard to tell from the picture, but I lightly sprayed TS50 over TS10 backing to get a more 3 dimensional dynamic look vs just solid TS50 alone.  Sounds all good and dandy, but the real reason why I did is because I was low on TS50 and did not want to open up another can.. :ph34r: :lol:  haha.. but it turned out great so..

IMG_2023-1-14-164501.jpg.512c35fbd4626cf55bf9ad234eb374cf.jpg

IMG_2023-1-14-164518.jpg.b868300566e24b0906b60e89e60ffcc3.jpg

Final update for today.. will work on this some more tomorrow.  :D 

IMG_2023-1-14-213813.jpg.37ba4ef37a8ea85bb1123201b18af633.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 3

Just got back from the first test of the XV with the wider rear axle. What an ultra nice experience. It was on wet tarmac with a thin layer of small stones on it. Halfway grippy, but slippery enough to pull long slides. It never lifted a wheel, so this was a clear improvement and worth every krone spent. The only thing I regret is that I only charged one shorty, so with the power hungry BZ you do not get so much runtime. 

@BuggyDad this is something to look forward to. It transforms the stability and makes the turn in less direct /brutal. 

DSC_0010.JPG

• Like 6

M05 project is done! I love this chassis. So much that I ordered another one. But that's for another post.

This is an EK9. And the body was kind of a pain. Paint wouldn't stick to it, the masks were the wrong size, the decals were the wrong shapes, but at the end of the day I think it came out pretty good!

qeaQRl2.jpg

AcEKsLQ.jpg

m0mBpLa.jpg

• Like 7

Charged up some Nimh in the hope we have dry weather tomorrow - planning a small car park run with el kid - M03 and M05-RA. Just off to test the TX / RX...

Mrs BC stuck in the US of A so WFH Monday - will I ever pick up the M-08R?!!!

• Like 3

I finally got around to adding the hop up turnbuckles (53940) to my DF-03. Making turnbuckles should be considered cruel and unusual punishment…

C901042A-EA8E-4618-ABC7-C7CE8C8544C0.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Andreas W said:

Just got back from the first test of the XV with the wider rear axle. What an ultra nice experience. It was on wet tarmac with a thin layer of small stones on it. Halfway grippy, but slippery enough to pull long slides. It never lifted a wheel, so this was a clear improvement and worth every krone spent. The only thing I regret is that I only charged one shorty, so with the power hungry BZ you do not get so much runtime. 

@BuggyDad this is something to look forward to. It transforms the stability and makes the turn in less direct /brutal. 

DSC_0010.JPG

Ooh. I hadn't realised you were spacing yours out for a Lancia shell. I haven't painted my Lancia shell yet, but it is cut and test fitted and I don't remember thinking I'd want to widen the track for it. I was more thinking ahead to my RSR shell which is very wide at the back. 

What motor and pinion? I think I need to calm mine back down (currently 10.5t motor and a bigger than stock pinion, should probably go to 17.5t and possibly kit 22t pinion) to drive with reasonably controlled cornering around markers. In current form it's more prone to oversteer on deceleration. 

More fun with the Jugger..

Normally I don't bother with driver figures, but for this car I'm making an exception.

So making a place to sit him down, and trying to make a moving steering wheel too.

liolnDB.jpg

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Ooh. I hadn't realised you were spacing yours out for a Lancia shell.

What motor and pinion? I think I need to calm mine back down (currently 10.5t motor and a bigger than stock pinion, should probably go to 17.5t and possibly kit 22t pinion) to drive with reasonably controlled cornering around markers. In current form it's more prone to oversteer on deceleration. 

The previous owner had bent both rear axles, so they needed replacement anyway. No reason to keep on running in winter rally look. 

I run a Superstock BZ, because it was there at purchase. I changed the pinion from 22 to 21t and it suits the motor fine. No heat issues at all and good grunt. 

2 hours ago, msgimartin said:

I finally got around to adding the hop up turnbuckles (53940) to my DF-03. Making turnbuckles should be considered cruel and unusual punishment…

I used a plastic jaw slip joint pliers to hold the anodized turnbuckle and a Kyosho ball end wrench when I worked on the 420X turnbuckles.  (HPI also offfered their small ball end wrench back in the day and I use that for smaller ball ends on other cars)

.. it was painless.. perhaps for next time.  

Your car looks fantastic!  B)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Mrs BC stuck in the US of A so WFH Monday.

I don’t envy Mrs BC having to get back on long haul flights. Not the fun it used to be pre the C word. I’ll be making the trek back to old Blighty in April for my mother’s 80th, the airport’s and flights are a necessary evil for it unfortunately. On the up side I’ll be landing in Leeds….just need to convince my sister to swing past Modelsport (which I believe is in Leeds) when she picks me up. It would be great to mooch around a bricks and mortar hobby shop for a change instead of an online virtual one.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, GeeWings said:

Excellent 👌🏻, I think he needs a trip to the beach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modelsport is in Otley, NW of Leeds and very close to Leeds Bradford airport @Re-Bugged.

Mrs BC had been off long haul for 10 years so it is going to take some adjustment!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cosworthwesty said:

Just pre ordered a boomerang 🪃 from fusion, I had one in 87 so had to add one to the collection 😘

Me too. Can’t wait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ran a few things at Tamiya Junkies meet. Such a fun day. Loads of all sorts on track

20230114_122736

@ThunderDragonCy I like how these are not box art and many have a  unique design. What is the second last buddy?   I cannot tell from photo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I used a plastic jaw slip joint pliers to hold the anodized turnbuckle and a Kyosho ball end wrench when I worked on the 420X turnbuckles.  (HPI also offfered their small ball end wrench back in the day and I use that for smaller ball ends on other cars)

.. it was painless.. perhaps for next time.  

Your car looks fantastic!  B)

I use the chuck of my drill, done up just enough to hold a rod end quite deep down in the chuck. It feels like a bad thing to do but the drill chuck actually seems to hold them quite gently and you can of course drive it very slowly.