Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ran a few things at Tamiya Junkies meet. Such a fun day. Loads of all sorts on track

20230114_122736

The more I see the Super Hornet the more I want one. They're very expensive on eBay though. Sheesh. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to replacing the A gear on the Sand Rover. I also swapped the original (!) rear wheels back on, as the Rough Rider (Buggy Champ) rears were rubbing against the rear suspension plate. I didn't notice the tyres were ever so slightly larger than the Sand Rover originals. I don't know what I'm going to do when the original tyres wear out. They will wear out - I want to try racing the Sand Rover in the Postal Racing series.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Frankster said:

@ThunderDragonCy I like how these are not box art and many have a  unique design. What is the second last buddy?   I cannot tell from photo

Thanks. Not a fan of boxart generally, although the Super Hornet is close. Last by one is actually an old race shell off my TRF211 that's now a chassis cover under the f150 truck shall sitting next to it at the far end end for my DT03. Its a Team Azarashi fascia meant for a yokomo. 

7 hours ago, wun1jee said:

The more I see the Super Hornet the more I want one. They're very expensive on eBay though. Sheesh. 

Me too. Its not a Super Hornet it is a Rising Fighter painted black with super Hornet decals and jc racing products wild one style orange wheels. It's also got a whole chassis worth of modifications, (check out Project Ultra Hornet in The Builds forum), but fundamentally with some decals from MCI and orange wheels you can build something pretty close with a Rising Fighter. 

12 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Excellent 👌🏻, I think he needs a trip to the beach. 

Thanks.

Yes, this will definitely be a beach runner! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks. Not a fan of boxart generally, although the Super Hornet is close. Last by one is actually an old race shell off my TRF211 that's now a chassis cover under the f150 truck shall sitting next to it at the far end end for my DT03. Its a Team Azarashi fascia meant for a yokomo. 

Nice.  I have the related DT-02 Nissan Titan with the Blitzer wheels and tires. DT-03 has the longer wheelbase which would be more stable in corners.

You should see if a repro Nissan King Cab shell would fit the DT-03 chassis.   It is the closest to a real King Cab with rear mounted motor

• Like 1

For me, working on Billy’s faces and torso this morning.  

IMG_2023-1-15-082415.jpg

Final update.. finished for now, will maybe apply decals after installing one of the two on the M06 Beetle next month.  B)

IMG_2023-1-15-132357.jpg.8de7ed07ec73d98a8c2f7be2dc1dcdeb.jpg

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 6

On 6/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, tamiya_1971 said:

Just an extra addition. I mentioned in some thread here about my late step father-in-laws rc collection and how his kids finally picked the items up about 4-5 years later. I found a few parts they had no interest in but ran across a couple Parma Hemi Coupes that I saved from my mother-in-laws home after a tree went through the house. Sitting in a wet box in the wet basement. They are dusty and wreak of cig smoke, but I’ll make this a future cleanup project. Both have different chassis’ so I’ll need to do some research.  

uNCVDu3.jpg

LuH5JxK.jpg

I finally got one of them cleaned up. Buffed the body with Novus #2, took apart the chassis and cleaned it up really well (tooth pick, kleenex, and qtips for the engine).  It's missing a couple parts on the Hemi, but oh well. The mother-in-law's hot water heater is on its last leg, so I think I'll just sell them off to put towards that sometime this spring. I can't imagine ever doing anything with these any way.The asphalt would tear them up and one curb hit would destroy that Hemi. The black one is a bit more of a mess. The engine is loose, and some of it has come unglued. I may start on that one today. 

5oicMYy.jpg

nrhXCuQ.jpg

DN0ZT3S.jpg

• Like 7

The sun was shining so we went out for our planned car park bash with the M03 and M05-RA. 

Unfortunately, our usual spot was underwater! It is a disused park-and-ride car park, disused because it floods in winter! So we headed off to a local business park and found an empty car park.

DSC_3811.jpg

The roving security patrol declined to get out of their Prius, circling a few times. Eventually, a guard came to check what we were doing but left us to it. We ran around our little cone course, dodging rough areas and puddles, until we depleted the 3000mah packs and the sun started to dip below the office skyline (almost poetic!).

DSC_3812.jpg

The usual spot has a coffee shop on site but we headed straight home for hot chocolate.

DSC_3814.jpg

• Like 11

After returning from a business trip, spent a good portion of my day catching up on RC.  Added a bump stop to my DT-02 truck, repaired paint on the Mini Street Hornet, and repaired the paint in the 911 RSR Safari.

C3144DDC-2DF3-4632-99F4-464B35C11959.jpeg.0e1062fbbaee44d4d1c56fcbbb845a46.jpeg

AEAF097B-A7C1-482A-BD2F-DB84D880EAE9.jpeg.42677b7df76b03be37964e554126a50f.jpeg

93478F46-3109-4024-A5D2-35CF9BBF58ED.jpeg.4953de53b9394a4d57aee4244d0f9ad8.jpeg

EAAE7A8F-32F6-4D13-889B-85712825D2E2.jpeg.9945dcba79710f409f802bc49313865f.jpeg

Edited by Frankster
Spelling
  • Like 7

My Pumpkin got a new wheelie bar, courtesy of some 3 mm threaded rod, GF01 wheels and 3D printed ABS hub.

GT7hJXQ.jpg

l2oPm6X.jpg

Should now avoid destroying the gearbox or wheelie wheel when I wheelie! 

• Like 7

After the week at work, I found time to make some progress with my Mid build yesterday and today. Now motor and ESC are in! 

Started off with soldering the cables, not before checking once again that everything would fit. It's so tight in there!

Prepping before operation...just by adding some paper for protection. I find it works great, as the moment the iron hits it it turns black and smells burnt, hence giving you the instant heads up!20230112-191507.jpg

Soldering with the motor into place was slightly more challenging, but it went smoothly with no drama. Happy enough with the result, solid but less lumpy than other times regardless of the awkward position. I went back to iron down some fuzzy parts but that was after this pic.20230115-141256.jpg

Next was the pinion, I'll start with the stock one for now, and then most likely gear up from there. I installed it the other way around compared to the instructions, with the grub screw inwards instead. That's because it allowed full surface contact pinion to spur gear, whereas I couldn't achieve that mounting the pinion as by there instructions. Pretty sure that won't make a difference..?20230115-145943.jpg

At this point I powered up and bench tested the car once again. All good and smooth, so it was time to move onto the next tigh-space situation: ESC installation. 

I though about it for a while during the week. I came to my senses about tapping screw holes into the ESC casing 😅 way too invasive for no reason. I think that what brought me to considering that originally was the fact that I really wanted to use the kit screws and respective countersunk chassis holes to install the ESC, seeking a sense of tidiness and somewhat completeness I guess? 🤔😳 all of which could be accompliseh by adding a very thin tray! No need to butcher delicate casings and such.

I found what I needed during lunchbreak at work, while opening a drawer to look for some aluminum foil to heat up my pizza 🤣 the foil was nowhere to be found, but I was regarded by a bunch of random parts including this white thing (piece of furniture/drawer mechanism I believe?). It was perfect! Or almost perfect, since not black.

20230114-163116.jpg

After taking a few measurements, I trimmed down the piece to the needed size and carefully tapped the threaded holes in the right spot20230114-165653.jpg

20230114-170140.jpg

20230114-170515.jpg

Busy photos, pardon the mess.

Also got to use the 2mm washers that came with the kit, they were crucial to level things up. You're so right @Willy iine about that chassis beveled lip being a PITA, even though it feels so good on the eye..! The ESC is attached to the tray with the kit's double sided tape, helped by the tiny outer lips that really keep it firmly into place (I don't trust the tape alone since all those wires are slightly pushing!)20230114-174556.jpg

And here it is installed, with the ESC now confortably and firmly nestled into place with no nasty holes in it. It's just too bad that it's white, a real eye sore20230114-175039.jpg

Tamiya acrylic semi gloss black X-18 was my friend. A couple light coats of that did the job, followed by an extra coat of mat black to tone it down and make it look more like the kit's plastics.

Result! All blended in discreetly and into place, the extra tray part working in sinergy with the kit's provided parts. The servo horn clears the ESC's wires by, like, a fraction of a millimeter... but it does clear it! 😎👌🤟

20230115-140526.jpg

20230115-140955.jpg

Now the ever-so-prominent OCD part of me can sit back and relax a little😄😅

Next will be tire sidewall lettering, which I have already started, and body and driver trimming -yes, I want to fit a driver but there's already no room!- and figuring out some loose ends, literally speaking, like resistor and switch placement. I'm sure it will feel like a walk in the park compared to the ESC.

So far, so good!

• Like 14

Thank you @Willy iine, means a lot coming from you! 

Today the sun finally came out after what felt like way too long. Thought I'd take advantage of that, so I took a break from the build and went out to run a car. There's massive amounts of snow everywhere at the moment, even in the city so all I could really run was, once again, the Big Boss. As usual, it delivered💥

Screenshot-20230115-182239-Video-Player.

I don't want to run anything with low down, semi-exposed electronics in this mushy mix of salt and slush... but the almost 35 y old monster truck can do it once in a while (I usually avoid salted roads at all costs, but today I just went for it)

20230115-180922.jpg

20230115-180847.jpg

Now home again, back to the Mid build while the Boss thaws out in the bath tub. A real Kyosho Sunday:lol:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

After the week at work, I found time to make some progress with my Mid build yesterday and today. Now motor and ESC are in! 

Started off with soldering the cables, not before checking once again that everything would fit. It's so tight in there!

Prepping before operation...just by adding some paper for protection. I find it works great, as the moment the iron hits it it turns black and smells burnt, hence giving you the instant heads up!20230112-191507.jpg

Soldering with the motor into place was slightly more challenging, but it went smoothly with no drama. Happy enough with the result, solid but less lumpy than other times regardless of the awkward position. I went back to iron down some fuzzy parts but that was after this pic.20230115-141256.jpg

Next was the pinion, I'll start with the stock one for now, and then most likely gear up from there. I installed it the other way around compared to the instructions, with the grub screw inwards instead. That's because it allowed full surface contact pinion to spur gear, whereas I couldn't achieve that mounting the pinion as by there instructions. Pretty sure that won't make a difference..?20230115-145943.jpg

At this point I powered up and bench tested the car once again. All good and smooth, so it was time to move onto the next tigh-space situation: ESC installation. 

I though about it for a while during the week. I came to my senses about tapping screw holes into the ESC casing 😅 way too invasive for no reason. I think that what brought me to considering that originally was the fact that I really wanted to use the kit screws and respective countersunk chassis holes to install the ESC, seeking a sense of tidiness and somewhat completeness I guess? 🤔😳 all of which could be accompliseh by adding a very thin tray! No need to butcher delicate casings and such.

I found what I needed during lunchbreak at work, while opening a drawer to look for some aluminum foil to heat up my pizza 🤣 the foil was nowhere to be found, but I was regarded by a bunch of random parts including this white thing (piece of furniture/drawer mechanism I believe?). It was perfect! Or almost perfect, since not black.

20230114-163116.jpg

After taking a few measurements, I trimmed down the piece to the needed size and carefully tapped the threaded holes in the right spot20230114-165653.jpg

20230114-170140.jpg

20230114-170515.jpg

Also got to use the 2mm washers that came with the kit, they were crucial to level things up. You're so right @Willy iine about that chassis beveled lip being a PITA, even though it feels so good on the eye..! The ESC is attached to the tray with the kit's double sided tape, helped by the tiny outer lips that really keep it firmly into place (I don't trust the tape alone since all those wires are slightly pushing!)20230114-174556.jpg

And here it is installed, with the ESC now confortably and firmly nestled into place with no nasty holes in it. It's just too bad that it's white, a real eye sore20230114-175039.jpg

Tamiya acrylic semi gloss black X-18 was my friend. A couple light coats of that did the job, followed by an extra coat of mat black to tone it down and make it look more like the kit's plastics.

Result! All blended in discreetly and into place, the extra tray part working in sinergy with the kit's provided parts. The servo horn clears the ESC's wires by, like, a fraction of a millimeter... but it does clear it! 😎👌🤟

20230115-140526.jpg

20230115-140955.jpg

Next will be tire sidewall lettering, which I have already started, and body and driver trimming -yes, I want to fit a driver but there's already no room!- and figuring out some loose ends, literally speaking, like resistor and switch placement. I'm sure it will feel like a walk in the park compared to the ESC.

So far, so good!

I might steal this idea from you for mine - I've got some black plastic toolbox separators that might be just the job! 

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20230114-163116.jpg

20230114-170140.jpg

20230114-170515.jpg

20230115-140526.jpg

20230115-140955.jpg

So far, so good!

I am going to use the same esc, i read about and thought myself it would be an issue fitting it on the chassis. You are a braver man than I am, i am thinking taking a piece of carbon that I have and using double sided tape to hang over like you did. I also saw someone make the esc fit with no issues so who knows. 

My son and I took our crawlers to the woods for the first time. We're lucky enough to live just a mile from a great forestry commission owned (public access) woodland, which is quite big, but we only had to venture less than 50m from the car to find multiple little challenges to drive up and down. 

This one was only just doable when your stars aligned. 

2023-01-15_08-40-14 2023-01-15_08-41-10 2023-01-15_08-42-39

It's very very wet at the moment, yet still these trucks made it up stuff they weren't far off toppling over backwards on. Fingers crossed I can persuade boyo we should paint his shell next weekend. 

Then late this evening I shimmed the slop out of my XV-01 suspension arms, fitted CVDs, taped a big bike light to my transmitter and took that for a run in the dark. On tarmac and a bit of dirt track and grass. It ran like a dream but got muddier than the crawlers. I love how you see it kick up the dirt in the torch light as it power slides.

2023-01-15_11-54-57 2023-01-15_11-55-42

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

I am going to use the same esc, i read about and thought myself it would be an issue fitting it on the chassis. You are a braver man than I am, i am thinking taking a piece of carbon that I have and using double sided tape to hang over like you did. I also saw someone make the esc fit with no issues so who knows. 

If you remove the fan, you can totally fit it with no issues whatsoever. That was my original plan, but decided against it last minute in order to keep the fan as an option.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ferruz said:

If you remove the fan, you can totally fit it with no issues whatsoever. That was my original plan, but decided against it last minute in order to keep the fan as an option.

Ive heard that too but I wonder if the fan will be needed since I am running a reedy 9.5t motor

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Ive heard that too but I wonder if the fan will be needed since I am running a reedy 9.5t motor

Hard to say, but those Hobbywing ESCs seem to run pretty cool. The 10BL60 on my Manta Ray hardly gets warm even in warm weather without a fan (motor is 13.5 Bluebottle) so I tend to think that a 10BL120 would run even cooler, I just didn't like the idea of being limited in my options by a narrow spot... but there's probably no issues without a fan, at worse you can add it later and rethink the ESC position.

• Like 1

Well, after MUCH  internal debate, measuring, and procrastination, I finally accepted that the driver for my DT03 build was not going to fit unless I trimmed the helmet.  I really didn't want to get all "evil doctor" on him, but at the end of the day, the saw won out...

CmB1mex.jpg

Touching up the paint a bit and staring at the newly made hole just left me feeling that something was missing...

Ku1YaFF.jpg

Luckily for me, my daughter saved the day by supplying some good old fashioned Play-Doh!

12U0MGG.jpg

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11