Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Ferruz said:

After years of running the cars in extreme temperatures (up to +35 °C🔥 and down to -30❄, I feel it's safe to say that the cold has not affected the plastics ever, not on my Manta Ray, not on my other buggies, and not even on my 30+ y old Big Boss which sports plastics from the late '80 🤔😀 

I'm well aware that many people see cold as an issue for running RC, and that some have reported plastics cracking and such things, but it was never the case for me, not one single time. During her by now almost 4 years of life, the Manta sure went through a few parts, upgrades and replacements, but it was all due to extensive use, bad landings or crashes; after all I drive it all the time and I don't go easy on it so I think she's allowed a few 😅 now the body shell is screaming for a facelift, but that will probably happen later on whenever I do the full restoration I have in plan. New chassis and gearboxes, and most of all M3 screws in many places that need them. Funny thing is, since I started mentioning it the car hasn't skipped a beat 😄 so I'm in a sweet spot of enjoying it without much sweat or worry, I'll take it until a crash will inevitably break this delicate balance! 

But seriously, in my humble opinion don't worry about running in the cold! Water, sand and salt are terrible, but frost is your friend (just avoid hard crashes) :lol:

Reminds me... With all that snow running what's your method of cleaning and more importantly drying? I have on occasion sat mine on top of the stove after a soaking.

20230116_000909

But it could be a terrible idea. 

It's warm rather than hot on there, like a radiator. So far I think it's been OK. Better I figure to get the moisture evaporated off quickly. I know really I should have the wheels off but mainly I don't. 

12 hours ago, Ferruz said:

One could say that is because, in a motorsporty way, the Lancia Delta is the Alps :rolleyes: 

Exactly one year ago these days I was doing the same thing (while up in the Alps, btw)! I took my sweet time with mine, and ended up actually enjoying the process (not to mention the result, you'll see how stunning it becomes at the end 👌). It gets easier after a while, especially if you do a little every day so you keep your flow. I did mine with hair dryer only, no soap, but I'd be curious to try it one day. 

I found the front bonnet decals, the big ones, to be by far the hardest to apply properly. Not to freak you out, just a heads up on what I thought to be more challenging. 

It requires indeed a lot of patience, but well worth it.

How hot were you comfortable getting it and how much more conformable did it make the decals? I got to the point at times where the shell was properly hot to the touch, yet really all I was doing was taking the time to work the stickers, move any bubbles out, and increase their adhesion. I don't think they really became much more stretched as such. 

21 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I found the time to paint the Fantom between work and house stuff.   Decanting definitely needed for the rear fins, but wasn't bad at all.

Going to paint the driver next.  :D   the black visor (?) is PS smoke.

IMG_2023-1-18-172009.jpg.852759b901a2667fc0d7a94ec37dd350.jpg

Yeah I've heard that a few times with the rear of the fantom:unsure: gavin from rckicks had exactly the same problem I did the same as you! But its looking absolutely sweet that yellow is really sharp:wub:

• Thanks 1

Finished carboniseing my cougar classic and usual schumacher all the bits in the bag but trial and error as why they are there? (rear carbon tower is twice as thick as kit tower thus doesn't fit standard wing mounts so new one are included:D)

20230119_143637.jpg

• Like 7

Last of my current builds is now almost done. I have had a bit of a race to get it all done before the baby starts crawling and everything needs to be packed away.

Shhdyse.jpeg

It's a MN45 body on an MF01x chassis with sand paddle tires and Abarth wheels. Looks like it's going to be a hoot to drive. It won't be a great true off roader but should handle medium grass, dirt and the odd stick and bump ok. Not quite sure about motor, at the moment it's got a 21T but think I will change that to a torque tuned otherwise it will probably be too fast and roll a lot.

HQjhaZO.jpeg

Springs are from a RadioShack, much softer than stock to allow this sick articulation!

snaESE3.jpeg

Axial probably well worried.

I still need to add an Edgarmon and decide if I want to go sponsor stickers race version or keep like this.

Body also has some flashing I will need to trim, but looking good! 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Reminds me... With all that snow running what's your method of cleaning and more importantly drying? I have on occasion sat mine on top of the stove after a soaking.

20230116_000909

But it could be a terrible idea. 

It's warm rather than hot on there, like a radiator. So far I think it's been OK. Better I figure to get the moisture evaporated off quickly. I know really I should have the wheels off but mainly I don't. 

If you manage to run on snow/ice only with nothing else in the way (like grass, pebbles etc.) there's no cleaning needed after, on the contrary the snow cleans out dirt and makes the tires look new, which is a big plus I enjoy a lot.

Drying, on the other hand, sure is crucial. I find nothing wrong with tour stove top method, as long as it's not too hot I couldn't see any issues there.

My method is to place the car upside down first by one of the vents for climate control, or by a heater, and changing its position every 10-30 mins until it's thoroughly dry. I find that the most efficient drying is achieved by combining two factors: warmth and air circulation. No need for much heat: as long as there's a gentle and constant air flow, room temperature will do fine. This has worked well every single time for me with every single car: no rust, no issues.

That being said, one needs to always be vigilant: after my pre-last outing with my old monster truck, I placed it by the heater -a little too close, with the hindsight- and totally forgot about it until my wife came to tell me that something smelled "electricky and funny"... I rushed to pick it up, man the motor was hotter than after blasting a battery pack through tall grass in the Summer! My finger got burned, but fortunately the car didn't get any damage 😅

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

How hot were you comfortable getting it and how much more conformable did it make the decals? I got to the point at times where the shell was properly hot to the touch, yet really all I was doing was taking the time to work the stickers, move any bubbles out, and increase their adhesion. I don't think they really became much more stretched as such. 

I tried to heat up the stickers rather than the body itself, and did that while trying to stretch them into place at the same time. They required quite some heat to become malleable/manageable with all those curves on the body, but the difference was night and day. I could not have achieved my end result without the aid of a hair dryer, that's for sure.

It's not easy though, as of course if you use too much heat the sticker will warp or shrink. I think I used the medium setting on a good quality dryer. There is a sweet spot where the decal becomes manageable before it starts deforming, with some practice you'll feel it, again it gets easier once you get a good flow. Good luck and enjoy -for what's possible, lol

• Thanks 1

I use an emboss heat gun for RC decals.  The unit is small (size of a mini cordless electric driver) and blows minimal air.   I just place my thumb or finger over the decal I want to heat to gauge how hot the air is.  

Then press down with my finger or squeegee and usually they behave thanks to loads of hope.   No intelligence or skill involved in my case as I have none.  :lol:  

For me today, I had to go to the office for my money making gig.  I am tired like a hamster that uncontrollably flings off the wheel after running too fast.  :blink:  :lol: ..but my work gave me a new iPhone13 so that was kind of nice.  

I got nothing RC done today besides opening a few boxes of RC goodies I got per my postman brought me post.. rcMart again screwed up the customs forms and FedEx cannot get my order cleared.  They are trying to correct the situation, but it is very.. not so fun? (trying to keep it Rated G)  

..but I will be working on my Fantom decals hopefully tomorrow so I’m looking forward to that.   :D  The mini servo is still in transit so probably won’t be able to finish the chassis until next week.  Which is fine, no rush. 

• Like 3

It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve done anything rc I think, or maybe it just feels that way as I don’t pay much attention to what day it is or how much time passes :blink:. So today I continued work on the dump truck, just need to make the tracks and I can test if 4ws will work. Looks like it won’t without modification as they’ll most likely hit if turning while going over bumps :(. Hopefully I’ll finish it up tomorrow and finally test drive it.

C5A16998-B4C5-44F6-B656-B9A34EB1B030.thumb.jpeg.bf677f93a8098e689fcac34bba255b19.jpeg

Also some advice for anyone putting tracks on a 6 wheeler, do the middle before the rear. Middle last isn’t to difficult or anything but is a little nicer not having the rear tracks in the way while removing/installing the screws in the center arms.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 11:24 PM, Frankster said:

wife said no to “anytime baby!”… 

I understand..... My wife said "not at anytime baby !"

• Haha 6

For me, started the decals on my Fantom.  :D   

I need to check with FedEx on the rcMart fiasco..  this happens all too frequently.. :wacko:

IMG_2023-1-20-085327.jpg

Update.. so far so delicious.  :lol:

IMG_2023-1-20-114636.jpg.fd990e0cb4046361d399e4fc18ff7ab9.jpg

Final update on the body.  I think turned out okay.  :D 

IMG_2023-1-20-145557.jpg.393599c1e2decd3f82f11f37d840a10b.jpg

IMG_2023-1-20-145614.jpg.bb2077b2071654f3a443a7ac5e8230ec.jpg

Servo should be in my hands by Monday so hopefully I can finish the car by early-mid next week.. 

Edited by Willy iine
  • Like 13

Just finished cleaning out a rather dirty fuel tank from my nitro rush. I'm happy with the end result now to dig around the parts boxs to find some fuel line to see of the engine wants to fire in to life.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

For me, started the decals on my Fantom.  :D   

I need to check with FedEx on the rcMart fiasco..  this happens all too frequently.. :wacko:

IMG_2023-1-20-085327.jpg

Lovely work from the looks of it @Willy iine, a great pro start! How did you find lining up that large, main front sticker at the top edges where it meets black edged broken line ones that stretch back along the body each side of the cockpit? That was the bit Gavin on RC Kicks really struggled with.

• Thanks 1

Today I spent quite some time bench testing a set of vintage electronics, but right from the start I had pretty major servo jitters on both the steering and MSC servos🙄 After swapping out literally every component, one by one, the jitters remained. *******ed off I went for some lunch and thought about it. I decided that it if wasn't a problem with the electronics themselves, it could be something to do with the testing environment. So maybe there was some interference from something messing with the radio gear/signal. I went back and turned off the extension lead to my desk at the plug whilst the jittering was fitting away and... It instantly stopped. Turned it on at the plug again and it instantly started. Problem solved.

Under my desk there is a cable management cage screwed to the back, high up, with a laptop power transformer and a usb plug for my LED magnifying desk lamp. I don't know enough about it, but I'm gonna guess it was the laptop transformer putting out some sort of interference that messed with the receiver signal.

Anyway, so morning not wasted and this is proof I wasn't going insane, today at least (despite my obsession with RC), please someone inform the wife👸🏻

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Finished the tracks, but they collide while turning :(. Off to lunch then I’ll see what I can modify to give them a little more room.

EBCDFE5A-6052-4539-AEBF-BBA8F411DF87.thumb.jpeg.912f501aa94f0eb2e9c915c37d871daa.jpegBE41FB74-FBFF-446A-BC3C-093AE48F24A9.thumb.jpeg.71add0fda34f85fe123cf26bc01bf5c3.jpeg56F8ABA7-5FBF-4D2C-AB40-C8504511A5C9.thumb.jpeg.f26dffe77ea778f3815e1a94266e8b9c.jpeg

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

Finished the tracks, but they collide while turning :(. Off to lunch then I’ll see what I can modify to give them a little more room.

EBCDFE5A-6052-4539-AEBF-BBA8F411DF87.thumb.jpeg.912f501aa94f0eb2e9c915c37d871daa.jpegBE41FB74-FBFF-446A-BC3C-093AE48F24A9.thumb.jpeg.71add0fda34f85fe123cf26bc01bf5c3.jpeg56F8ABA7-5FBF-4D2C-AB40-C8504511A5C9.thumb.jpeg.f26dffe77ea778f3815e1a94266e8b9c.jpeg

I guess flipping the rear axle isn't an option?

19 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

I can't help with solving it, but when you have solved it that thing is going to be awesome! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Lovely work from the looks of it @Willy iine, a great pro start! How did you find lining up that large, main front sticker at the top edges where it meets black edged broken line ones that stretch back along the body each side of the cockpit? That was the bit Gavin on RC Kicks really struggled with.

Thanks!  I had no issue, but it could be just that I was lucky due to boat loads of hopification.  :lol:  

I should probably watch that clip.. but I mean he’s a seasoned pro, I’m just a bonehead pretend RC-er so.. :wacko:  :lol:  I’ll keep at it.. wish me hope please.  

29 minutes ago, ImALlama said:

BE41FB74-FBFF-446A-BC3C-093AE48F24A9.thumb.jpeg.71add0fda34f85fe123cf26bc01bf5c3.jpeg

Ha, that is quite mad. In a good way of course.

Could you flip the rear lower arms? I've seen it done on the GF-01.

Also, the arms off the comical are a little longer slightly so could potentially move the middle wheels out slightly. Might look a little odd though, but I'd say this was already somewhere in that camp! 😉

• Like 1

Me to my wife this morning, half asleep on my way out to work:

"I have an issue with the gold shocks but I won't give up, it's something too beautiful to be just swept aside and replaced. Yes there are problems sometimes, but I'll work it out."

Wife -half asleep as well: 

"Ooh are you talking about our relationship? 😍"

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Me to my wife this morning, half asleep on my way out to work:

"I have an issue with the gold shocks but I won't give up, it's something too beautiful to be just swept aside and replaced. Yes there are problems sometimes, but I'll work it out."

Glad you're clearly as RC obsessed as I am @Ferruz!👍😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoke to FedEx and explained the issue about my rcMart shipment again.. Agent checked and said they should have the proper docs now and pending release from customs.. maybe Monday if all goes well but there is a big backlog at customs.. 

This is so stupid.  :angry:  I should’ve had it by now. 

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

I guess flipping the rear axle isn't an option?

2 hours ago, Fish Slice said:

Ha, that is quite mad. In a good way of course.

Could you flip the rear lower arms? I've seen it done on the GF-01.

Also, the arms off the comical are a little longer slightly so could potentially move the middle wheels out slightly. Might look a little odd though, but I'd say this was already somewhere in that camp! 😉

Back from lunch and tried flipping the rear arms. It would have enough room but the dog bones would be at too great an angle, so it would cause it to not steer for a different reason :(. I thought of modifying center arms to move them forward, but that’d only work on one side because the gear casing is in the way on other :angry:
80846F3B-5D1D-470B-8CE8-78AAA987644C.jpeg.0a2598c4f19ccbe8446b5c9bc1047e77.jpeg

So the current plan is to make some center arms this weekend that’ll hopefully work. If not we move on to @Fish Slices Suggestion of comical arms.

On to today’s next project, my very first savox servo, and part of the reason I switched to cheap servos. I bought this thing years ago for my sct and it lasted a whole 3 mins, in a flat open field with no jumps, bumps, or anything. Didn’t throw it away for whatever reason and forgot it was broke, but remember it all now. Appears it needs new gears, missing a few teeth, and since they seem to be cheaper than a cheap servo I guess its getting fixed and put on the shelf to await the next build

914FC2CF-13B9-405E-B02C-D4E3291BFE60.jpeg.94f494d2d188ba4f1e214bf2631fdf96.jpeg

• Like 3