Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 minutes ago, moffman said:

I looked at that about 4 or 5 times thinking "I'm I missing something".......then oh yeah!:rolleyes: 

What’s seen cannot be unseen.. :wacko: 

:lol:

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Mine is the rere Fantom EXT so that might be why they are different.. ?  I don’t know these cars very well.. 

I finished the chassis and took it for a test drive.  The car drives fine, but the LeMans 240ESC/480 Gold combo is not as smooth as expected in the modulation.  I can achieve better results with the XR10JustStock/240S combo.   If I ever make another Fantom, I think I would go that route.  Anyway, I’m happy with the car.  :D   

Now going to mount the body and take a few pictures.  Will post later in the gallery only thread.  Thanks for checking it out if interested.  B)

IMG_2023-1-21-152249.jpg.55b0ed4d3d1e03c5c644932bc2cf5731.jpg  

Ahh you have the EXT! I should have realized. Mine is original Fantom re-release, I guess there are more differences than I thought. Looking forward to those gallery pics!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Room335 said:

Ahh you have the EXT! I should have realized. Mine is original Fantom re-release, I guess there are more differences than I thought. Looking forward to those gallery pics!

Ahhh.. so that's why.  Yeah I posted a few pictures, please check them out.  I'm out of attachment memory here on TC  so only posted three.. :ph34r:

If you're on Instagram I have several more posted and has more of my daily updates in the stories..  #pretendrcshop

• Like 1

Today ive finished up my front mount to fit a Blackfoot shell (and some random front oil dampers) to an ORV chassi.

The base of it clips firmly over the upper tube  between the suspension stays and screws into h1 where the body post would normally screw in if this was built as a frog, its "wings" extending outside of the tube clamp has recesses that friction hold nuts.

The middle part bolts to the bottom, i made large clamping washers for this because if there are any knocks this would be the vulnerable point due to layer orientation when printing.

The top screws onto the middle, has some back/front slide adjustability and an easily changeable body post, seeing as that should be the weak point.

frontmount.jpg.c307ba80c81a2e4b6cfce447af131ff9.jpg

And here is the body on a frog chassi with brat wheels:

IMG_20230122_130648.jpg.b8baee4cc46416951c86427748c6089a.jpg

The wheels to arch space is 25-26mm back and front when uncompressed, when fully compressed, including when steering at full lock it should still be just shy of rubbing.

I drilled out the already-there-but-unused-holes in the suspension arm stays to accept 3mm bolts and used those as the lower attachment point for oil dampers, the tops attaching to the body mount i designed.
I left out the AW grease when building the suspension as i had these shocks (out of which ive removed the springs) laying about.

I might try removing the stock ORV springs and using the ones that go in these dampers as this feel quite stiff.

IMG_20230122_135004.jpg.8a363ac0ed516c9bbb9afa50beff2cb8.jpg

But other than that id say 'Job's a Good 'Un' :)

ADDITION: created a thread in TC designs for people to download the files if interested and updated my builds thread.

• Like 7

@Room335  Quick question for you.. I want to get some alloys for the Fantom and was wondering which size tires I need to buy for both front and rear.  Would you please let me know?  TIA!  

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

What’s seen cannot be unseen.. :wacko: 

:lol:

So very true!:D or what's seen properly after you've been to the opticians and got better glasses cannot be unseen (in my case)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Mine is the rere Fantom EXT so that might be why they are different.. ?  I don’t know these cars very well.. 

I finished the chassis and took it for a test drive.  The car drives fine, but the LeMans 240ESC/480 Gold combo is not as smooth as expected in the modulation.  I can achieve better results with the XR10JustStock/240S combo.   If I ever make another Fantom, I think I would go that route.  Anyway, I’m happy with the car.  :D   

Now going to mount the body and take a few pictures.  Will post later in the gallery only thread.  Thanks for checking it out if interested.  B)

IMG_2023-1-21-152249.jpg.55b0ed4d3d1e03c5c644932bc2cf5731.jpg  

Mate this is looking fantastic and its really pushing my buy buttons! I'm like you I don't know anything about these little gems other than they are incredibly fast! But I do know that the difference primarily between the two is the EXT has suspension amongst a few other little tweaks! (Probably someone has already explained that to you:rolleyes:?)

• Like 1

Had an afternoon of unsuccessful attempts running one of my RC cars in the snow. Eventually we've got some snow here. Unfortunately it is very heavy snow and all cars, including the Rochobby Willys 1:6, a Wild Dagger on 3S got stuck in the snow and they didn't even make 50 m. Wasn't the fun I've had expected.  Now the batteries are back on the charger for storage charging. :wacko:

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Had an afternoon of unsuccessful attempts running one of my RC cars in the snow. Eventually we've got some snow here. Unfortunately it is very heavy snow and all cars, including the Rochobby Willys 1:6, a Wild Dagger on 3S got stuck in the snow and they didn't even make 50 m. Wasn't the fun I've had expected.  Now the batteries are back on the charger for storage charging. :wacko:

When I was a kid a couple of us RC kids stomped around our parents’ yards to make a track with ramps and stuff.  We found that we had to pack the snow first before our Frog and Grasshoppers could drive on it.  We had a blast.. 

.. then fever for 3 days.. :ph34r:  

.. then repeat.  :D 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Mate this is looking fantastic and its really pushing my buy buttons! I'm like you I don't know anything about these little gems other than they are incredibly fast! But I do know that the difference primarily between the two is the EXT has suspension amongst a few other little tweaks! (Probably someone has already explained that to you:rolleyes:?)

Thanks, you know it would help if I did some research before buying, but I usually don’t.  :D   

I’ve been playing with the Fantom all morning and it is an absolute blast to drive!   I might get another one and run brushed set up as the LeMans ESC is not as smooth as I want it.  I think a LeMans 490 brushed would be sufficient speed for me.. 

13 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

When I was a kid a couple of us RC kids stomped around our parents’ yards to make a track with ramps and stuff.  We found that we had to pack the snow first before our Frog and Grasshoppers could drive on it.  We had a blast.. 

.. then fever for 3 days.. :ph34r:  

.. then repeat.  :D 

I already had the lawn roller (don't know if it is right word) out, but it didn't work either and I wasn't in the mood to run up and down to pack the snow. So I stopped it there.

14 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

I already had the lawn roller (don't know if it is right word) out, but it didn't work either and I wasn't in the mood to run up and down to pack the snow. So I stopped it there.

Yeah, I don't see myself stomping around on the yard either if today..  plus, the potential damage it can cause on the grass..:blink:

So maybe that was why my pops was so mad come Spring.  lol 

Meet up with fellow forum member @Wooders28, had my first run in a real track. The TA-02(Ra) did ok on a buggy track which surprised me.

VzDaE3a.jpg

Can you spot it in this holiday snap?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

the LeMans ESC is not as smooth as I want it.  

Oh that does suprise me because it's not exactly cheap and kyosho is always known for quality? 

I wasn't going to start this until I'd finished all my other half built and unfinished buggies but I thought I'd get it started because with schumacher kits I'm always putting them off in my head especially the 4wd ones because they do at times try my patience and this was going fine until I did the steering and a small part from the steering pinged off:angry:.......two hours later I found it nowhere near where I thought it was! So that bit went on and I stopped building!

20230122_142522.jpg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, moffman said:

Oh that does suprise me because it's not exactly cheap and kyosho is always known for quality? 

Yeah, I haven’t tried the XR10 JustStock with the gold LeMans, but I am pretty sure it is the ESC.  

I will be installing the same LeMans ESC in my Optima MID soon + a fresh 240S, so will keep you posted.  

Sorry to hear about your frustration with the Schumacher!   Some kits are like that for sure… 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I haven’t tried the XR10 JustStock with the gold LeMans, but I am pretty sure it is the ESC.  

I will be installing the same LeMans ESC in my Optima MID soon + a fresh 240S, so will keep you posted.  

Sorry to hear about your frustration with the Schumacher!   Some kits are like that for sure… 

Yeah schumacher kits always fight with you! But the finished buggy is always superb they just require a degree of fettling and a bit of "why don't it say that in the instructions?"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beetlemankurt said:

A hairdryer helps bucketloads on those ones.....good luck!

Doesn't it just. The combination of heat and soapy water is pretty amazing. I'd say its essential on some of these. I will probably use it on every shell I do from now on. The addition of wet as well as heat makes a huge difference because of how you can safely work them against the shell behind, yet they have not yet properly stuck

So I have made (for me) good progress today.

2023-01-22_08-32-52

And quality has exceeded my expectations. So far, everything lines up, and there are no big decals left. 

I also ran my XV-01, had a rubbish attempt at postal racing then broke a rear arm, lost a dogbone. 

• Like 15

Started work on The Frog decals:

1674420090758.jpg.7f9cbc179df20b0b213d274b4d268851.jpg

Working on the kitchen table because we have two sick kids upstairs so we can react quickly if something is wrong. Lets see how much I can do tonight... No Guts No Glory!

• Like 7

Put a pair of lunch box tires.. it is fun, though open diff made it hard to control under slippery surface. One thing that surprised me was motor temp was just slightly warm after full throttling around with these tires. I am happy with it.

time to get a pair of lunchbox front axle to mount front tires :)

463EF51E-3467-41E3-9DB0-FF418FFADAC6.jpeg

58167CB2-A8AC-403A-8AE0-896897FF9581.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Doesn't it just. The combination of heat and soapy water is pretty amazing. I'd say its essential on some of these. I will probably use it on every shell I do from now on. The addition of wet as well as heat makes a huge difference because of how you can safely work them against the shell behind, yet they have not yet properly stuck

So I have made (for me) good progress today.

2023-01-22_08-32-52

And quality has exceeded my expectations. So far, everything lines up, and there are no big decals left. 

I also ran my XV-01, had a rubbish attempt at postal racing then broke a rear arm, lost a dogbone. 

Looks good.  I too will be making one later this Spring.   B)  

For me, just driving the Fantom mostly today and taking a quick break driving my Sabre m-chassis.  Going to do one more pack (3x 12min run) on my Fantom before the day is over.   Upon swapping cars I realized how fast I was driving the Fantom.  B)

• Like 2

Finished off another truck, this one my trusty brushless quick drive.

Actually I still need to make a wheelie bar somehow and find a way to attach it, but it's mainly done!

A few sponsors stickers

0PkLW1F.jpeg

Home made mirror with shiny vinyl 

WzUqPJm.jpeg

And a little trim and it's done.

xF1ez4j.jpeg

Overall pretty happy with how it turned out. Making the 71 took a while to get the colour combo right bit looks good I think.

Can't wait to blast around the park when it is warmer.  The QD with a brushless is just brilliant.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Meet up with fellow forum member @Wooders28, had my first run in a real track. The TA-02(Ra) did ok on a buggy track which surprised me.

VzDaE3a.jpg

Can you spot it in this holiday snap?

Good to meet you!

Glad you enjoyed running on the track, hopefully the weather gods are in your favour next time...🤞🌧

Enjoy your holiday.

• Thanks 1