Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

hopefully the weather gods are in you're favour next time...🤞🌧

Don't worry about the weather. Today is just a "slightly damp" day in Scotland!

• Haha 1

Finally decided to put some effort and finish doing maintenance to my XV-01: changing diff oil, rebuilding the shocks, fixing an issue with the servo, and giving the chassis a good scrub.

That was a lot of screws for sure. After the last round of postal racing, the car wasn't in the best condition: diffs were leaking, I had one shock pop out from the bottom riglet, by assuming unscrewing itself from the shaft, and there was something that got me worried about the servo. I found that, after every session, the servo was actually hotter than the motor itself, which is pretty puzzling. The issue was that the servo saver is rubbing on the chassis, and that put some serious strain to it. It took me weeks to realize what's wrong: I'm using the Tamiya servo saver from my TT-02B (and the servo too, in fact), and the "cap" on top of it was the cuplrit. Removed that, and now it seems to have just enough space.

For the diffs, they were pratically emptied when I opened them. I hope the thicker oil will help this time (30000 cst front, 10000 cst rear).

Hope the shocks will be fine, I never enjoy building them, I never seem to get how to get a consistent rebound.

Now to wait for the good weather...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Nikko85  looks good!  I like it. B) 

Thanks, without meaning to sound like a broken record these MN bodies are really nice for the money. 

I am almost done with my builds, in the last 6 months I have rebuilt almost my entire fleet, converting them all to 1/12 scale. The 1/12 JP Jeep started it by making everything else look small. However as baby Nikko starts to crawl in earnest I have to clear a lot of things up,  so will dial it down for a while, focussing on a few hop ups, maintenance and running.

Edit: Plus a little 3D printing of course. What really makes the mess is having multiple chassis all in a state of repair, one when I need the drill, saw, Dremel and tool box out for an evening's work, and then keep out as it's too late to pack it away! 

• Like 2

Wow! A very busy 24 hours in the thread and so much amazing stuff going on! I'm missing lots I'm sure but @unixphreakthat's some parts bin build! Very cool. 

@Re-Bugged buggy looks amazing and what a great spot for some driving. Looks perfect.

@Nikko85another excellent job. Looks great and the vinyl work is definitely with the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to put some wheels on my stock Clod runner and something seemed off... Turns out two of my axle tubes were cracked all the way around. Only the metal tube braces keep them from rotating and spinning all around. Vintage 80's plastic so I can't complain. They were on opposite gearboxes of course, so the whole truck needed torn down. Blew it apart for a total rebuild and cleaned all the pieces. The gear cases were filled with a thick blackened heavy grease that looked like mud from a peat bog. Yummy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A very busy 24 hours in the thread indeed. So much quality stuff from the forum members!

@Willy iine that Fantom is so gorgeous, it's making me want to get one without thinking twice. Beautifully executed too, of course :wub:

@Re-Bugged your new Kyosho looks amazing, knocked it out of the park as usual👍 Oh and I too found some misspelling this morning, it's not as obvious as yours but it was interesting to find out that I'll be running a waterpoof servo in my Mid 😅

20230122-150731.jpg

After some more shifting and fidgeting, I got the final position for driver, receiver, resistor and on/off switch and secured them into place.

20230122-154329.jpg

Powered everything up, bench test passed, all good. So I guess it's time to jump on the graphics soon.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

I also went back to the park for another run with the Manta Ray. This time there was some snow on the icy paths, which enhanced the fun.

20230122-190109.jpg

20230122-190535.jpg

20230122-190653.jpg

20230122-172718-1.gif

• Like 16

Put hornet wheels on lunch box. I think it looks so funny lol. Due to smaller tires with small pinion, it just willies on demand. Plan ti replace stock pinion with 18t.

1447A1EF-EAEF-4584-AA68-4B810B5A81C8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

@Re-Bugged your new Kyosho looks amazing, knocked it out of the park as usual👍 Oh and I too found some misspelling this morning, it's not as obvious as yours but it was interesting to find out that I'll be running a waterpoof servo in my Mid 😅

20230122-150731.jpg

Cheers bud, the TS didn’t need much help from me to look good, and was great not having to over think it for a change 😄

Just showed Mrs RB your servo, that made her day 🤣😂

• Haha 2

oRWcTyO.jpg

Had a wee morning run in front of the caravan while the kids are getting ready.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@Nikko85  looks good!  I like it. B) 

13 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@Nikko85another excellent job. Looks great and the vinyl work is definitely with the effort.

Many thanks. Once again I've taken and uploaded photos on my phone and now on a laptop they look pretty crumby, but you get the idea I hope. I've just ordered another MN model body, this one a D90 in yellow. This will go over my remaining QD chassis to bring the whole collection to 1/12. Going to paint up like a vintage Safari truck. With giant monster truck wheels, obviously.

As the body was £17 delivered and the truck was £27 delivered it took quite a bit of willpower not to just spend the extra tenner on the truck. But I know what happens. I run the truck. It's ok, but needs fixing, so I buy a small servo, rc electronics kit, and the better gearbox and motor. Then I realise that I need a body to go on this one too, having donated the yellow body to the QD. So I spend £17 on a new body, only it's now £24 with inflation, and before I know it that "truck that cost a tenner" has cost me £100 or so.

Some of the MN models do look quite nice. I'm tapping out of any new models to 2024 (or perhaps Christmas 2023) but I might treat myself to a hopped up smaller crawler. However my Jeep and FJ45 have that quite well covered.

12 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Put hornet wheels on lunch box. I think it looks so funny lol. Due to smaller tires with small pinion, it just willies on demand. 

Keep that away from children then. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Renewed my TC club membership :D

I'm sure there's probably alternative ways for me to assimilate this information, but do you mind me asking, what do you get for the TC membership? And what is that other part of the site all about? I've never gone beyond the TC forum. All previous hobbies have revolved around a forum like this one. So with this forums having this other additional area, am I missing out big time? Cheers

4 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Keep that away from children then. :D

😂 Savage😂

13 hours ago, Ferruz said:

20230122-172718-1.gif

Love this wild, mahussive slide @Ferruz, looks like great fun!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Thanks, without meaning to sound like a broken record these MN bodies are really nice for the money. 

I am almost done with my builds, in the last 6 months I have rebuilt almost my entire fleet, converting them all to 1/12 scale. The 1/12 JP Jeep started it by making everything else look small. However as baby Nikko starts to crawl in earnest I have to clear a lot of things up,  so will dial it down for a while, focussing on a few hop ups, maintenance and running.

Edit: Plus a little 3D printing of course. What really makes the mess is having multiple chassis all in a state of repair, one when I need the drill, saw, Dremel and tool box out for an evening's work, and then keep out as it's too late to pack it away! 

That's cool.  I have a couple of red pre painted bodies and one clear so if I ever get through those I should give that MN body a try.  I think I'm going to do an olive drab at one point.. or camo.    I need to get though all the onroad and rally projects first though.. 

Speaking of which, not sure if any of you in the USA saw on Tower over the weekend, they had the Ultima for a brief few hours before it sold out again.  :lol:  Ofcourse I snatched one using SuperSaver coupon and points and placed orders for all CF bits I could find online, titanium turnbuckles and all.  I probably won't build it for a couple of months though..maybe Fall.

I decided to only do one Fantom EXT at this time as original plan and concentrate on the driving with what I have.  So I ordered spare parts where I thought it might need just in case (mini servo, drive axles, front cups, etc)  instead of buying another kit.  I'm going to swap the top deck and front arm/suspension  to CF for cosmetics, but run the electronics as it is.  After running maybe 20 cycles my feel for driving pan cars started coming back and noticed once I got that rhythm I can drive the Fantom fine even though the throttle modulation is not very smooth.  It could be better, but perhaps that is where the fun is.. to overcome the quirks like my vintage buggies.  

I should be getting my Mini-Z EVO AWD and RTR drift car later today.. looking forward to that. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

I'm sure there's probably alternative ways for me to assimilate this information, but do you mind me asking, what do you get for the TC membership? And what is that other part of the site all about? I've never gone beyond the TC forum. All previous hobbies have revolved around a forum like this one. So with this forums having this other additional area, am I missing out big time? Cheers

Membership of the forum is free but the main site is £15 per year.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/default.asp

There is a 'showroom' facility to record your fleet, view builds by other members. There are also 'clubs' but I  think some elements of the mainsite may have fallen away over the years and been superseded as social media became more prevalent.

There are occasional competitions (though I've not won yet :()

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/awards.asp 

It also affords membership of tcphotos.net for image hosting (not limited to RC).

Most beneficial to UK members is 10% discount at Fusion Hobbies.

If it helps keep the lights on and the forum running, I'm happy to contribute :) 

• Like 6

I've been driving on thin ice... :D

20230123_085405.jpg

[media]

You can hear the ice crack under the weight of the car

[media]

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I finished my 2nd M05.

My first car was a 1985 Honda CRX Si. I still have her, too! Since then I've had a love affair with 1st generation Honda CRXs. I've been wanting to do one of these for years. And I finally got off my butt and did it. Instead of a mini-me of my 1/1 (which is in need of some love..) I built it as a JDM 1983 Ballade Sports CR-X 1.5i in Baltic Blue. Which is essentially the same as what we got in the US as the 1985 CRX Si.

uUNO8gZ.jpg
xOUh2uN.jpg
z8VYXBk.jpg
QVGysJZ.jpg
33Elhef.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it came out, despite a few minor imperfections here and there!

• Like 19

Today we had the heating guy back in to re-fix  the boiler that he was supposed to fix on Friday (which cost us £380, callout, repair and a service).

That's more than blown any RC budget for a little bit. 

I had a bit of time however to clean, key and mask my DF03 body ready for painting. Not sure when i'll get to spray it as its so **** cold right now. It's about -1 degrees c outside now.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

I've been driving on thin ice... :D

20230123_085405.jpg

[media]

You can hear the ice crack under the weight of the car

[media]

i'd definitley be crapping myself at the thought it would fall through!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wun1jee said:

I built it as a JDM 1983 Ballade Sports CR-X 1.5i in Baltic Blue. Which is essentially the same as what we got in the US as the 1985 CRX Si.

uUNO8gZ.jpg

Ha, awesome, so 80's😎 love the red pinstripe 👍

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

If it helps keep the lights on and the forum running, I'm happy to contribute :) 

Thanks mate👍👍👍 I'll give it more of a look then😊

• Like 1

For me, been practicing driving the Fantom on my breaks from work.  I am using some Nichiban masking tape to condition the rear tires as it does loose some grip after a round or two of driving.  I think the EVA foam has a tiny bit of release oil on there still.. Anyway, the foams grip very well after a quick conditioning so not an issue. B)

IMG_2023-1-23-133016.jpg.c19c184451051ca30fc9a375b795ef08.jpg 

• Like 3