Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Final model shop (one with its own subforum right here) on this trip, with a RC purchase this time.

TznfXTZ.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Final model shop (one with its own subforum right here) on this trip, with a RC purchase this time.

TznfXTZ.jpg

Time Tunnel is directly responsible for getting me back into RC a few years ago: my Hornet comes from there. I remember being a bit confused at first and asking them a few questions about charging times and such stuff. Their customer service was impeccable.

• Like 1

Built and took it outside.. this one is really fun haha. For the money, it is so great. Except tacky decals which I ended up throwing out. (I added ball bearings and super stock RZ which i think is bit overkill lol) oh and cva from tt02b kit which i dont think helps at all lol

6916677E-13DB-4709-A28D-1E902951E8D0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Time Tunnel is directly responsible for getting me back into RC a few years ago: my Hornet comes from there. I remember being a bit confused at first and asking them a few questions about charging times and such stuff. Their customer service was impeccable.

TTM was responsible for getting me into RC 14 years ago when I bought my first Lunchbox and then a TT-01 Subaru (the now rere TT-01E one) from them. It was at their original store in Stevenage back then and then they moved to Scotland at about the same time as me.

They are my (and another fellow forum member in Orkney) go to for mail order spray paint as they are about the only ones that are willing to send us spray paint (and anything else) for no extra cost. Some will not send us spray paint, full stop!

It happens that I have a test drive at Musselburgh today, so I thought I will pop over to say hi to Neil in person, after 14 years!

• Like 1

I've been thinking about what graphics to do on my Optima Mid. Not just today, but for the past 8 months! It's almost as if some part of me wanted to do something different at all costs, with all those new built Mids popping out every day on the web, looking all a bit similar.

Some of the ideas I came up with really grew on me, but I noticed that I kept going back to box art no matter what. Even my wife, which usually supports all my esthetic choices, bluntly dismissed box art this time(Mid too Hornet-y! Turbo Mid too Lego-y 😅), prompting me to go for one of my -by now many- alternative color schemes. Still, after pondering for way too long, here I am again, holding the kit stock decal sheet in my hands, lingering in admiration.

I think I've finally realized something: I am most likely overthinking it, and my Mid should probably just be like the one I used to glimpse on the higher shelf in the hobby shop as a kid. I would drool over it and fuel up on excitement enough to daydream for weeks after that, and that car was box art.

If I just look at that "Arizona Desert Rat" sponsor sticker, symbolizing something so out of reach back then, I feel like I'm 10 again 😁

A very wise forum member said something that resounded with me recently, while completing his gorgeous Turbo Scorpion... I think it was along the lines of: "Nothing wrong with box art me..."

@Re-Bugged thanks so much for the enlightenment bud, I think I will wholeheartedly adopt your philosophy on the matter for this one 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

l actually like the white box art MID.  It's very clean and immediately identifiable as one of the best off-road race cars of all time.   :D 

But then again, I will be doing another original version soon.  B)

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words @Ferruz 😁. There are some Legends that just don’t need messing with. I to ‘mulled’ over almost to the point of my head exploding with the TS, but it also would have meant having another sticker sheet with nothing to put it on 😆. I settled on just a flick of silver on the nose to satisfy the ‘need’ to do something while keeping close to box art as possible, which was the main appeal in the first place 😃. After taking out on its first run it could have been pink with purple spots for all I care with how good it made me feel anyway.

I think you are going to enjoy the Mid as well just as much regardless of the colour 😉

@Willy iine’s Black & Red is very nice 👍🏻 

as are these 2…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am trying hard to love my TT02R, but, first trip out a while ago the electric’s were glitchy. (Power HD digital servo, HW 13.5t motor with HW 1060BL ESC pulled from my Stadium Blitzer that showed no problems then) A few minutes of run time and the car became unresponsive. Not a problem when it just stops. 2nd run out it became unresponsive again a few minutes in but this time stuck on 1/4 throttle turning to the left stopping once it hit the kerb as I couldn’t catch it fast enough.

So today I’ve now replaced the Futaba 203 receiver took it outside on a storage charged battery without a body on. All was going great, tried everything to replicate the previous issues. Full throttle bursts up and down the hill, figure 8’s even running across a fresh cut lawn for 15/20 mins.

Just as I’m thinking it’s fixed the aluminium ball connector snap's…

47150F82-70D6-4878-830F-44D83AB1809F.jpg

Like I say I’m really trying to get on with it, but 3 out of 3 fails, I’m just not feeling it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 8

Today, before work, i got another couple of steps done the T3-01 i started after getting it in the mail yesterday.

Had an issue with the rear cam style suspension causing me to take it apart a couple of times.

Didnt properly figure it out until i used a pokey bit to feel around inside it and figure out the direction of the ridge the cam part should be riding on, got it wrong two or three times looking at the instructions.

The diff is interesting (and tiny), its got six gears, three on each side, but mount in pairs, meshing half of their width with each other across from one side to the other and the second half meshing with the drive cup.

These small gears have no axles so are riding against the walls of the slots they sit in, doesnt seem ideal for durability, i filled the sucker up with grease but if they break it should be very easy to just glue the thing together. 

The rear wheels arent that wide apart so i think it should still steer ok if the diff does break.

Anyways, interesting build that i should be finishing up tonight.

8JLptqa.jpg

• Like 3

A lovely day out getting some RC action with a friend. We flew some RC planes for a while - he had a lovely home-built balsa old timer with modern electrics (climbs like a bat out of badword) and I flew my Eachine P51. Then we moved onto cars - his Grasshopper and my Lunchbox. It was my first drive of the Lunchbox, and my first time driving a car that really made me think - this car needs MOAR POWAR! Car driving was cut short by my car going totally haywire - glitching and phantom throttle movement. Something seems to have gone badly wrong with my Flysky GT3C tx.

Anyone else had problems with a GT3C totally glitching out? The battery was freshly charged and at 4.0V so not the battery. Maybe problems with the power switch, but I didn't notice the display cutting out. Annoying as I wanted to do some postal racing on the weekend.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Are you going to use G6-01 wheels and tyres or something less goofy?

I will be sticking with the G6-01 wheels, but might opt for a set of soft spiked tyres as supplied with the GF-01 Heavy Dump for better hill climbing ability on wet grass. With racing teapots, goofiness is not a bad thing. 😁

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Today, I have pre-order one of these:

Jk5DDOE.jpg

Nice one mate, who did you decide to order with?

3 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Nice one mate, who did you decide to order with?

SC models have a 5% off code so went with them. Only a tenner, but it all helps. I love the vintage looks, modern plastics and no exceptionally complicated set up options... just fun driving. Hopefully 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I've been thinking about what graphics to do on my Optima Mid. Not just today, but for the past 8 months! It's almost as if some part of me wanted to do something different at all costs, with all those new built Mids popping out every day on the web, looking all a bit similar.

Some of the ideas I came up with really grew on me, but I noticed that I kept going back to box art no matter what. Even my wife, which usually supports all my esthetic choices, bluntly dismissed box art this time(Mid too Hornet-y! Turbo Mid too Lego-y 😅), prompting me to go for one of my -by now many- alternative color schemes. Still, after pondering for way too long, here I am again, holding the kit stock decal sheet in my hands, lingering in admiration.

I think I've finally realized something: I am most likely overthinking it, and my Mid should probably just be like the one I used to glimpse on the higher shelf in the hobby shop as a kid. I would drool over it and fuel up on excitement enough to daydream for weeks after that, and that car was box art.

If I just look at that "Arizona Desert Rat" sponsor sticker, symbolizing something so out of reach back then, I feel like I'm 10 again 😁

A very wise forum member said something that resounded with me recently, while completing his gorgeous Turbo Scorpion... I think it was along the lines of: "Nothing wrong with box art me..."

@Re-Bugged thanks so much for the enlightenment bud, I think I will wholeheartedly adopt your philosophy on the matter for this one 😉

Agree box art is awesome mate, so in some respects it's a shame not to recreate a classic. However, sounds like it's stifling your creativity. Time for a second shell I think, so you can do both!!!😎

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Built and took it outside.. this one is really fun haha. For the money, it is so great. Except tacky decals which I ended up throwing out. (I added ball bearings and super stock RZ which i think is bit overkill lol) oh and cva from tt02b kit which i dont think helps at all lol

6916677E-13DB-4709-A28D-1E902951E8D0.jpeg

Even if the shocks don't help the handling, they sure help the aesthetics. There is something about pogo sticks that just yells "I'm rubbish!"

CVAs make it look far more hobby grade. And if you put in a DT-01-style brace to stop the front of the gearbox bobbing up and down, they actually help the handling too!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

47150F82-70D6-4878-830F-44D83AB1809F.jpg

This happened to another forum member when fitting these ball connectors. This backs up thoughts that the material Tamiya are using here is not strong enough. It appears that the metal is stressed with being screwed in and is then weakened. Probably just a set of brass or steel ones and you'll be all good bud👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Annoying 🙁

As a rule I only ever use the aluminium bits on shelf queens or the rear ends of runners. Steel on the front  

Eg, most higher-end Tamiya touring car kits come with aluminium rear swing shafts but steel fronts. Need that extra strength for front-on impacts 

Same logic applies to ball connectors, turnbuckles etc  

Stick some stronger bits on the front there and belt away 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gWhdYSAm.jpg

Soldered two of these, one for the FF03 with a Savox. The other for my Yokomo.

3d86jt6l.jpg

Painted the letters on my yokomo. DUNLOP FORMULA-R

qMwxS70l.jpg

0151cUql.jpg

fxBefBll.jpg

GMhNYZBl.jpg

Played with the Tamiya QD chassis and fitted a touring body I had spare. Is for sale, missing esc and radio

• Like 1

Made a picture of my collection.

Tamiya QD,2x LRP S18, Tamiya F103 (F104 Conversion), Tamiya M02 and M05ver2, FF03, Yokomo BD7 2015.

:D

E8Kq8Fu.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

fxBefBll.jpg

Always been a fan of this Lexus body. Had to be a challenging decal job. Looks great!

19 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I've been thinking about what graphics to do on my Optima Mid.

Just an idea, I’m personally a big fan of box art with a different color scheme, especially with a custom-color decal set. It keeps the box-art look  so enthusiasts know what it is, but makes the car unique. 

edit: a great example is @Willy iine with his Super Astute. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Except for the driver figure, ive finished up my Dancing Rider.

Im surprised at how nimble it is, no issue zipping around the living room, really tight turns if going light on the throttle.

Gonna start on a head replacement to hold an AIO FPV camera.

IMG_20230127_212224.thumb.jpg.5f8915d8b7758b525edff87457276979.jpg

Crappy pic, no natural light at the moment so lamp+flash, all washed out,

Might add another decal or two but for now im quite liking the clean look.

• Like 3

For me, swapped the top deck to CF and now running carbon rear axle.  I also decided to swap the ESC to XR10.. so much smoother driving now, very happy.  I just need to wait for vendors to get a hold of the front CF steering rack.  Hopefully soon!  :D 

IMG_2023-1-27-154349.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

For me, swapped the top deck to CF and now running carbon rear axle.  I also decided to swap the ESC to XR10.. so much smoother driving now, very happy.  I just need to wait for vendors to get a hold of the front CF steering rack.  Hopefully soon!  :D 

IMG_2023-1-27-154349.jpg

That looks sweet. A proper top deck for the Fantom. I’m surprised the Kyosho ESC didn’t work out, especially since it was paired with a LeMans motor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1