Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Room335 said:

That looks sweet. A proper top deck for the Fantom. I’m surprised the Kyosho ESC didn’t work out, especially since it was paired with a LeMans motor.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed.  I think they work fine in high traction situation as it had a lot of punch, but I just like the smoothness of the XR10 (JustStock) and LeMans motor combo A LOT more.   I will run the LeMans ESC I took off today on my white Optima MID.. although I do have another NIB.. :wacko: 

:lol:  Don’t mind me.  I’ll find use for it.

• Like 1

Had more fun today.. though it was hopping like a madman on short grass.. Tumbled multiple times and looks like wing is not going to last long. I wonder if i should get ampro shock braces… (need to order it from shapeway since i have no 3d printer). And lexan wings..

74D54C04-92CE-4A95-B5DF-7B523F0A657A.jpeg

• Like 3

Alright, got the FPV head done :)

Excuse the bad pics, the monitor image is a lot more understandable in person.

IMG_20230128_004047.jpg.f7de57286b9e839b9efa468c14b85f32.jpg

IMG_20230128_003837.thumb.jpg.245d0420b0e0b0b01c51be398de13460.jpg

IMG_20230128_003831.jpg.9532ef72f232bbfa644b46b8fd69f40a.jpg

IMG_20230128_003625.jpg.ece45c1c75e1ed52f144af54690857a5.jpg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Kol__ said:

This happened to another forum member when fitting these ball connectors. This backs up thoughts that the material Tamiya are using here is not strong enough. It appears that the metal is stressed with being screwed in and is then weakened. Probably just a set of brass or steel ones and you'll be all good bud👍

Yup. that was me. Also happened to another member here.

I bought extra ball connectors, along with the parts tree containing the uprights because I couldn't remove the remains of the broken ball connector. I may go back to the stock steering arms after seeing yet another failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ziddan said:

Cool!!   Pretty soon your RC car will become fully autonomous.. :lol: haha

In other news, since I am a GR Supra owner, why not a rocket bunny RC version, right?  :D  I finished the body this morning, waiting on my adjustable offset drift wheel set..   

IMG_2023-1-27-181644.jpg.fbcebc31f42ec0a82bdb5a6de4d190c5.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Room335 said:

Just an idea, I’m personally a big fan of box art with a different color scheme, especially with a custom-color decal set. It keeps the box-art look  so enthusiasts know what it is, but makes the car unique. 

edit: a great example is @Willy iine with his Super Astute. 

Good idea, thank you and I totally agree.I did exactly that with my Terra Scorcher and I love it. It is definitely one of the possible options for the Mid, though at this point I think that I will opt for the original box art's palette, most likely with some subtle variations.

Agree also with @Kol__, you're right bud, a second body shell is required 😉

• Like 4

8 hours ago, toyolien said:

Today, I have pre-order one of these:

Jk5DDOE.jpg

Nice 👍🏻  
They do look a no nonsense easy to own buggy. But I believe they like a Fox or two for breakfast to keep them happy. 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Kol__ said:

This happened to another forum member when fitting these ball connectors. This backs up thoughts that the material Tamiya are using here is not strong enough. It appears that the metal is stressed with being screwed in and is then weakened. Probably just a set of brass or steel ones and you'll be all good bud👍

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Annoying 🙁

As a rule I only ever use the aluminium bits on shelf queens or the rear ends of runners. Steel on the front  

Eg, most higher-end Tamiya touring car kits come with aluminium rear swing shafts but steel fronts. Need that extra strength for front-on impacts 

Same logic applies to ball connectors, turnbuckles etc  

Stick some stronger bits on the front there and belt away 👍

Cheers fella’s much appreciated. 
I just checked the spares box, I’ve got one steel one in stock 🙄🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice 👍🏻  
They do look a no nonsense easy to own buggy. But I believe they like a Fox or two for breakfast to keep them happy. 

When they release that I went backwards and bought an Ultima..and hopups.  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, alvinlwh said:

Final model shop (one with its own subforum right here) on this trip, with a RC purchase this time.

TznfXTZ.jpg

Very nice.  I'm a big fan of the Land Rovers for crawler projects.   I've been looking at the Carismas and also some of the hard body Range Rovers out there for future projects.   Be sure to post some photos!  

• Like 2

We had a pretty big storm last night which flooded our garage, where all the race cars are kept. Oh and my wifes car. The water got so high it went inside her car and all our race cars (2 8th buggies, 4 10th buggies, 5 10th onroad) were under water. Luckily everything is insured as all electronics will need replacing and it looks like the chassis will be gone too. I might salvage my TA07 (new bearings, shafts etc etc) but the rest will probably need replacing. Funny when the insurance claim for the toy cars will be far higher than for the real car

• Haha 1
  • Sad 15

54 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

We had a pretty big storm last night which flooded our garage, where all the race cars are kept. Oh and my wifes car. The water got so high it went inside her car and all our race cars (2 8th buggies, 4 10th buggies, 5 10th onroad) were under water. Luckily everything is insured as all electronics will need replacing and it looks like the chassis will be gone too. I might salvage my TA07 (new bearings, shafts etc etc) but the rest will probably need replacing. Funny when the insurance claim for the toy cars will be far higher than for the real car

That sucks man.. :( hang in there!  

Natural disasters are my pretend RC shop’s biggest concern as well..  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ziddan said:

You gotta have a build page for wiring etc.  I would like to try this as well 🤗

• Like 1

Went through some stuff.. I think i should utilize those instead of buying brushless systems… haha

D1CD8A33-4745-400E-8991-338386469380.jpeg

• Like 3

Picked up drifting tires and dish wheels.  Motor mount for TA-02 and bearings.  A US$4.25 digital caliber is questionable but suitable for my first attempt at 3D printing 

C1268A73-F60E-42FB-ACCD-FA94224C147B.jpeg.9c280506d0431177fbc0366e0ec1d434.jpeg

91543E8D-8F8A-4269-851C-06E10C0A006C.jpeg.984a7044c018a1a7591f19843e20047f.jpeg

7FA89E92-BA61-48C6-B666-73E427D90ECB.jpeg.8414d86f9ca24b5364fd5e739019daf6.jpeg

TA-02 Rear assembly complete.   Brand new car but old design.   Too much play in suspension tolerances 😕

FD50F6C3-B66B-46D6-BC0D-0A1C39B4F8F8.jpeg.54ee6b551bacfc76e6e6eddc93432167.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

That sucks man.. :( hang in there!  

Natural disasters are my pretend RC shop’s biggest concern as well..  

Thanks, its actually not that bad. No water in the house, just the section and garage. We were worried we had lost a cat but she turned up this afternoon so can't complain really. Plenty of people are far worse off than we are!

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about the flood @Jonathon Gillham Not much fun cleaning up after that. Lucky the cars stashed in the house were out of harms way 😉 You have now taken one for the team in giving all other TC members a legitimate reason for stashing stuff out the way 😃

For a minute I did wonder though if the cause of the flood was perhaps some IPA & Red wine barrels falling over? 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Sorry to hear about the flood @Jonathon Gillham Not much fun cleaning up after that. Lucky the cars stashed in the house were out of harms way 😉 You have now taken one for the team in giving all other TC members a legitimate reason for stashing stuff out the way 😃

For a minute I did wonder though if the cause of the flood was perhaps some IPA & Red wine barrels falling over? 😉

Unfortunately the cheap cars were the ones stashed away safely!

Last night called for something stronger, opened a cragganmore 12. Which made the clean up even worse!

• Like 3

Really sorry to hear that @Jonathon Gillham. I hope everything gets sorted quickly. We had a flat in London that flooded multiple times, no fun at all.

Today I started building the SW-01 Mudmad that I picked up cheap a while back. It’s a very impressive bit of kit I have to say. Some seriously impressive design chops went in to such a small kit. I have half a plan to make this the ride for my Donkey Kong figure but it’s actually so small I’m not sure he will fit.

SW-01

Anyway, hoping to get the chassis finished later and do some playing around with it tomorrow.

I will definitely be picking up the mini lunchbox version with a few hop-ups.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Oh man, that's no fun. Flooding in Auckland hit our news in the UK yesterday. It looks really bad. Hope you can sort it all out OK. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Unfortunately the cheap cars were the ones stashed away safely!

Last night called for something stronger, opened a cragganmore 12. Which made the clean up even worse!

Sorry about the situation.  Good thing you have insurance coverage.  Would you replace like for like or make changes in your new collection?

24 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Sorry about the situation.  Good thing you have insurance coverage.  Would you replace like for like or make changes in your new collection?

Pretty much like for like as they are all set up for class rules and specific tracks. I just hope that I get replacement value rather than some cash settlement based on secondhand prices as it will take a long time to replace them that way. If they pay the invoice direct to the shop then I should have everything up and running before the next race meet.  Some will be difficult though, for example the Ae B6D is an old model but works better than the newer models since our track is low grip, so new isn't actually better. For others like the TA07 a TA07MS would be the closest match but you can't get them and I doubt they'll do another run of those, so a TRF420X would be the closest replacement that you can actually get and I'm not sure what they do in those cases.

Also, at full retail i'm guessing its about $20k and I can see the insurer questioning that!

11 hours ago, Room335 said:

Always been a fan of this Lexus body. Had to be a challenging decal job. Looks great!

Yes, it was, at the time of applying decals, my friend was the owner. He applied them while I was cutting. Water spray bottle, hair dryer and a card to push out air.