Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Sogogi said:

... So much fun. I need more rally cars already!...

And so it begins.   LOL   

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

I've never had a 1040 but from what I was able to find on the net, it looks like there is a 1040 brushed esc, and a 1040 brushed "crawler" esc.   So depending which one you have, it may have the drag brake built in but I don't you have the ability to change from one style to the other like you can on the 1060 and 1080.  

I believe it is/was a HW ESC. I have a few of them and what I like is the 1040 has 100% reverse while the 1060 only 50%. Is that important for a crawler? What I do not like so much is it only has a 2A BEC meaning I can only use servos up to 6kg.

13 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I believe it is/was a HW ESC. I have a few of them and what I like is the 1040 has 100% reverse while the 1060 only 50%. Is that important for a crawler? What I do not like so much is it only has a 2A BEC meaning I can only use servos up to 6kg.

Some guys like 100% reverse in a crawler but for my style of crawling, 50% is fine.  You are correct on the BEC needs, in a crawler the steering servo is very  important so it needs to be powerful.  You can always run an outboard BEC or now the direct power steering servos (i.e. the high amp draw of the servo gets it power directly from the battery pack while the standard servo wire plugged into the Rec is only for the signal) are getting real popular and affordable.   By the time you buy a high amp outboard BEC, you can practically buy a new ESC with a higher internal BEC.  

Today I “finished” my SW-01. Or finished as much as I can while I wait for some 3D printed accessories to arrive. I’ve got a big Donkey Kong barrel that I’m hoping is going to fit as the body for my Donkey Kong driver!

SW01

It’s such a great little kit, VERY little:

SW01

with so much thought that has been put in to its tiny design! Very impressed and have ordered a lunchbox version already along with some hop-ups…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

You can always run an outboard BEC

Yes, I use UBEC with TBLEs as they are too p'ed weak to run any thing other than a basic servo.

Decided after two beers :D , not to sell my two LRP S18, as they have the same box art paint scheme, and could become collectibles as it is a hopped up S18TC and a S18 Buggy.

8zmSGj1.jpg

The buggy, I noticed today, uses 12 mm hex, while the TC uses 9 mm hex like the Xray (7 mm TBH). I can not find any TC 9 mm tires, very hard task.

dUutEEL.jpg

As I realized the buggy does not have such an issue, it uses 12 mm hex. The tire size I currently have on the original wheel is diameter 52 mm, width 24 mm. So I eventually could use Tamiya M chassis wheels and get a greater width and larger diameter, like 59 mm. which will improve top speed. Currently running a 17T 48P pinion with metal gear diffs.

7seEHB6.jpg

Fixed the damper mounts that tend to brake, with a drill through screw and a nut with washer. 

p8P0qTv.jpg

DwW7WtE.jpg

• Like 4

My new favourite colour combo. TS21 Gold, TS39 Mica Red and a few coats of TS65 Pearl Clear to add some extra sparkles.

IMG_20230129_125529.jpg.97ad2bffbe5c02834a519557ca3090c8.jpgIMG_20230129_125824.jpg.de4a3abedc2fcc49dff75151973e7e85.jpg

• Like 5

Plucked up to willpower to do the front gearbox on my pro-cat and it didn't disappoint!:unsure: we had a little battle with attaching the diff to the gearbox housings to the chassis and top plate and the belt cover and the front bumper then build the front drive shafts with those nasty little Uj's all with one pair of hands and it all came together first time.........well almost!

20230123_083209.jpg

• Like 10

For me,  one of my new EVO AWD had problems centering the steering after a turn and was annoying as heck, so decided to take the thing apart and added spacers on the servo saver spring to apply preload.   I actually did this twice as I needed two washers to provide enough preload.  :wacko:

IMG_2023-1-29-133221.jpg.738c243773b9a7311052b5729e3acd5c.jpg

This thing is about 15mm in length.. 

IMG_2023-1-29-133242.jpg.ecee810d672fba62ff503135d184d6c6.jpg

Car drives well now.  B)

Now going to work on my drift car wheels.. the decorative calipers on the car are too big so need to shave a bit to clear the barrel of the wheels.  But I think it will look pretty appropriate for a drift car when done.  :D

• Like 3

It's been a produktive weekend. Yesterday I mounted the wider Turbo Scorpion front axle and steering rods on the Tomahawk. Today I have rebuilt the TZ-motor and broken it in again. The brushes do not last that long in these. Not near the Yeah Racing Hackmoto. 

DSC_0016.JPG

• Like 3

Been poking around with 3d modeling on and off over the weekend:

tRHkbWL.png

Due to seeing this cute thing when i was looking for stuff on the T3-01:

• Like 9

Well I saw some clean vintage shelf queen sees wheels and jumped on them not realizing they are for Team Losi. They are the same exact ones like tamiya but dont have the hex they lock on a pin cross. After asking in forums,groups and even went to some hobby shops to try and pay them to get them to fit but everyone said impossible or just sell them and try to find some other ones but I knew in my mind and heart I could do it. I went into the lab and just made the axle into a pin hole axle. Now they fit perfectly and look great!

Screenshot_20230129_151833_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_151321_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_152053_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_151815_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_151347_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_152031_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230129_151259_Gallery.jpg

• Like 13

Finished up the Lancia XV-01 build. I love the chassis. Now for paint...of course, no one has any Tamiya white spray in stock, so I was left ordering Duratrax white, which should be fine. After the paint, those decals...I'm hoping I have fun doing them.

3d printed a replacement cover for the ESC/receiver stock one. My brushless ESC is too tall for the original. 

1hN0pDZ.jpg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Finished up the Lancia XV-01 build. I love the chassis. Now for paint...of course, no one has any Tamiya white spray in stock, so I was left ordering Duratrax white, which should be fine. After the paint, those decals...I'm hoping I have fun doing them.

3d printed a replacement cover for the ESC/receiver stock one. My brushless ESC is too tall for the original. 

1hN0pDZ.jpg

That 3d printed cover looks good. The main annoyance (for me) with the kit one is not so much its height over the ESC as its being split into two high boxes where the low mid section restricts the position of relatively chunky gauge motor wires. Yours solves that. Where did you get it? 

I used pearl white for my Lancia shell. Many recommend the same (although I did back mine with white as well). Pearl White has decent availability. 

7 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

That 3d printed cover looks good. The main annoyance (for me) with the kit one is not so much its height over the ESC as its being split into two high boxes where the low mid section restricts the position of relatively chunky gauge motor wires. Yours solves that. Where did you get it? 

I used pearl white for my Lancia shell. Many recommend the same (although I did back mine with white as well). Pearl White has decent availability. 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2839343

Funny you asked, I just posted a "make" pic of it out there a few minutes ago. For something that fit so well, I can't believe the guy that created it doesn't have any feedback on it. It's been posted out there for almost 5 years. 

I didn't even think of using Pearl White. I'll check Amazon and see if they happen to have it. I'm still waiting for the shipment from Tower to arrive. 

• Thanks 1

Besides working on the Mini-Z, I finished the drift GR Supra with the rocket bunny kit.  Please check out the gallery only thread if interested TIA.  B)

For those wondering, it is an entry level MST RTR Supra in addition to adjustable offset wheels and tires I bought separately.  The wheels are by DS and they have several different colors and spoke shapes.  Tires are DS LF-3.  They are a bit clumsy to adjust the offset, but once complete they actually look real nice.  I run the car off my 7PXR.

While I'm not really into these SEMA/Hot Import Nights/Fast and Furious kinds of cars, it represents the RC drift genre in my pretend RC shop.  I will continue practicing drifting just to be able to state I can drift RC if needed using proper RC drift cars, not a touring car with junk rubber tires.  :lol: haha.  

I think the GR Supra is a beautiful car and a joy to look at.  My 1:1 is a Premium 3.0L I-6 black and looks pretty much stock..although she does have several engine upgrades by Eventuri and JB4, some CF bits here and there, etc. 

Thanks for checking out my car. 

• Like 2

I finished building my Gmade GS02F Buffalo. Really enjoyable build, other than using every possible combination of screw size and head type. Everything went together really easily. I had just enough paint, to the extent it's a rare shell backed in smoke :lol:.

y4mQ9AxHrM-c7Bba5Dmvwse2haFpG3WSPjx7G6cy

y4mCKpuXYdImHsi7ijIf1CW9RPskHjdiAJKEm2On

y4mClAlRNLZ5AnZ5lhKfviUrst3se1ymWmU0O5D5

I'll take some outdoor pics to put up on the gallery thread. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, naturbo2000 said:

I finished building my Gmade GS02 Buffalo. Really enjoyable build, other than using every possible combination of screw size and head type. Everything went together really easily. I had just enough paint, to the extent it's a rare shell backed in smoke :lol:.

y4mQ9AxHrM-c7Bba5Dmvwse2haFpG3WSPjx7G6cy

y4mCKpuXYdImHsi7ijIf1CW9RPskHjdiAJKEm2On

y4mClAlRNLZ5AnZ5lhKfviUrst3se1ymWmU0O5D5

I'll take some outdoor pics to put up on the gallery thread. 

Looking awesome! I actually am very interested in gmade models.

2 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Agreed. I was keen to have a kit over a RTR. From what I've seen, they're pretty competitive for the price bracket and available in the UK (a vouchers thing meant getting it from Amazon was a requirement). Running a Surpass Hobby 5-slot 16T 550 and ESC and a generic 20Kg servo. This has the 2-speed gearbox which I've hooked up to an old Futaba servo for now.

13 hours ago, Sogogi said:

As stated above the only issue with GMade kits is the sheer number of different fittings and head types. It’s mind boggling at times. Other than that my Gom was a good build

What the heck.. there is no PS5 black available at the stores in the USA.. :blink:  nor white..(?)

I only got like 1.5 cans left.. :wacko:  but then I have like 6 cans of TS matte black.. so I guess do a light coat of PS, backed by TS.  B)    

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

What the heck.. there is no PS5 black available at the stores in the USA.. :blink:  nor white..(?)

I only got like 1.5 cans left.. :wacko:  but then I have like 6 cans of TS matte black.. so I guess do a light coat of PS, backed by TS.  B)    

Very annoying. Here in Oz we had that issue for months on end last year. Hope you get some restock soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter wanted to take her C.Avante out for a spin. I tried to take some Action shots who all turned out terrible as they are just as exiting as stil photos, so here is some terrible shots for you to enjoy :

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11