Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today I finished The Frog! Must admit I kinda like it now it is completely finished.  

1675110925985.jpg.a53b4079aa0f08fbf3d490741363658b.jpg

Took me ages to finish it because I didn't really liked building it. Such a strange car... I painted the body in September 2021 :unsure:.

• Like 11

On 1/24/2023 at 7:27 PM, mtbkym01 said:

@lsear2905 I bought one of these HK specials ages ago to use on my Bruiser (when I get around to building it, only had it 10yrs this year :huh:)

The issue I have is that the carbon shift gate I have wont fit over the sticks, and no matter what I’ve tried, I don't seem to be able to remove them, I thought they would just unscrew.

Do the ones on the Flysky unscrew?

Yes, they unscrew. Given that the Turnigy, Flysky and Kyosho radios all have identical bodies, I suspect they are all made in the same factory. The Flysky came with pink sticks, so to test for you I unscrewed them, then fitted the (identical shape) gold ones from my Kyosho. Some very light customisation, but it means that mine now is distinguishable from the 20 other ones at the boat club!

Interestingly, the setup is a nightmare, there's no manual (and the one you download is not great, either) the left stick isn't self-centering up/down, which is great for the boat and sucks for the Trail King. I have a few other issues, but it does the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took this puppy out for a blast, it was great fun and getting it over some proper jumps it performs well (you'll be glad to hear @Ferruz😉). Ran well for quite a while and it got it proper muddy, and then the right steering rod fell out of the upright 🙄😂

c2pt6GE.jpeg

ccmZT3J.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I got started on my M-08R today. So now I've got a little chassis with the carbon and blue jewellery on show. So very Tamiya.

20230130_223531 20230130_223531

It all went together beautifully. I did shim the bell crank pivots 0.1mm to remove a little slop. The weird sleeve for caster (part C6) is widely seen as a bit rubbish and it's annoying to assemble and is weak during assembly but now it's all together I suspect I'll keep it as is until I break something. 

Yet to touch shocks, electronics or shell. I may see if I can get to painting tomorrow night, but I'm determined to give the shell the time I need to do a decent job. 

Has Tamiya put their tallest body posts on their baby chassis? It's like it's got a Napoleon Complex.

• Like 11

Needed a very short servo rod for an MSC, unfortunately it's now a discontinued part. So, as I had a spare for comparison, I picked up a longer one and made my own...

TihPsTH.jpeg

Cut to length and a bop on the end with a hammer gave it a little bend (and yes, before you ask, 'bop' is a professional workshop term😆)...

rfNHnET.jpeg

Picked up a new 2.0mm die for the job

bFRtp2B.jpeg

PMto3AO.jpeg

Job done

cOD8FJJ.jpeg

• Like 15

Awesome @Kol__!  Nice job on the servo shaft.  :D

For me, I basically drove my Mini-Z EVO's all day between WFH meetings and projects.  And drove my Fantom too before cleaning her up and placing her on the shelf.  :wub:   Hope I can get a hold of the front CF steering rack soon.. that is the only piece missing to full completion.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

The weird sleeve for camber (part C6) is widely seen as a bit rubbish and it's annoying to assemble and is weak during assembly but now it's all together I suspect I'll keep it as is until I break something. 

If that’s the little insert on the front upright’s, I just stuck mine in with a smear of shoe goo and hasn’t broken yet after lots of car park Racing by Post. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Took this puppy out for a blast, it was great fun and getting it over some proper jumps it performs well (you'll be glad to hear @Ferruz😉). Ran well for quite a while and it got it proper muddy, and then the right steering rod fell out of the upright 🙄😂

c2pt6GE.jpeg

ccmZT3J.jpeg

Right on! Car looks ace mate, the extra black behind the front window really enhances box art👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

If that’s the little insert on the front upright’s, I just stuck mine in with a smear of shoe goo and hasn’t broken yet after lots of car park Racing by Post. 

Yeah I figure it's assembly of it that people don't like - once together it doesn't look to me like a vulnerability particularly. Not beyond the normal vulnerability of c hubs anyway. But I was going to buy M-07 reinforced uprights to hold as spares. They seem to be preferred, and that may also be because they have 4° (when fitted with the right mounting part) vs stock 2° of caster.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kol__ said:

c2pt6GE.jpeg

ccmZT3J.jpeg

I wish tamiya re releases this. Ta02 chassis based cars are awesome. Maybe i should buy at least opel ta02 chassis while it is available…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I wish tamiya re releases this. Ta02 chassis based cars are awesome. Maybe i should buy at least opel ta02 chassis while it is available…

I did that for my my Street Scorcher plus the bits to make it a SW version. Would have preferred the silver gearboxes.

A month later Tamico have the TA02S chassis in a bag for €84, with the silver gearboxes 🙄 Oh well you win some, you lose some.

I see they recently restocked on the chassis only again. 

• Like 1

After digging a bit deeper in various parts stashes I discovered I could fix up my TT02R.

I also remembered that my M08 has (had) 2 spare ball connectors on the rear suspension arms for sway bars so they have been borrowed 😃.  

I really didn’t want to have to make an order for more bits yet (even though ball connectors are cheap) just annoying as I have some incoming bits and pieces already on there way.

I drilled through the remains of the ball connector with a 2.5mm drill bit and used this to fix it…

2697EB76-B7C1-43BB-8BD2-50E6CBAE0B76.jpg

Theres a bit of blue thread lock on the new ball connector to keep it on there as there no hex on it to tighten it down, just pliers for that..

343BADCD-5AE4-423E-B42B-5BE43C06A243.jpg

Job done..

BC740A7E-992F-4994-A150-2536A78A8914.jpg

I’ve swapped out the blue ball connectors on the steering for dark one’s. After putting those on I think they are also aluminium as a magnet doesn’t pick them up. Fortunately they are easy to get to later and they will do until a make another order somewhere.

Just nice it’s not broken anymore for the time being 😎

• Like 8

Moved an email from my Inbox to my hobby folder, stating my Small PlazaJapan order has shipped, glad that economy shipping has returned

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Moved an email from my Inbox to my hobby folder, stating my Small PlazaJapan order has shipped, glad that economy shipping has returned

👍🏻, snap I got a similar email yesterday. First time I’ve used them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

👍🏻, snap I got a similar email yesterday. First time I’ve used them. 

Cant go wrong with PJ mate, I’m just glad its affordable shipping again

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Cant go wrong with PJ mate, I’m just glad its affordable shipping again

Doesn't seem to be to the uk... 

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Doesn't seem to be to the uk... 

Oh bummer, my $60 AUD order was $12 to ship

• Like 1

Built and fitted the correct dampers for my TB02-R, and switched all the turnbuckles to blue aluminium while I was at it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then switched the damper stays on my Evo III from the Surikarn editions to the standard parts. It's a more noticeable difference on the rear, as the Surikarn stays create very wide rear body post positions (100mm) compared to the standard. Ultimately I want to be able to move body shells and wheels around between chassis variants as my fleet grows, so having body post holes drilled as 'standard' will be helpful 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also finished the electronics install on the Evo III...nowhere near my strongest suit, but it doesn't look too bad

spacer.png

Then took a few photos of the sisters side-by-side and will pop a few more in the Gallery thread shortly :wub:

spacer.png

• Like 12

For me, nothing RC yet today as I am at the office doing my money making gig.  I hope to practice some drifting tonight and drive my Mini-Z a little bit.  B)

HR wants to do a stay interview with me this week as they fear I might leave the company.  Shall I send them a bill for a couple of RC purchases?  :lol: ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Needed some progress on the Juggernaut to keep morale up, so slapped in a steering servo and the new drive shafts, and took it for a small spin around the room.

Steering circle as is to be expected from an extended wheelbase monster truck, but the speed was very decent on 2S.

kKhR2LM.jpg

FIuqmaq.jpg

• Like 6

My "RC Life" has been very dull as of late as I made myself a stupid promise to clean up my shop/work area before I started my next project.  It's been long overdue, but I find it hard to be motivated to sort containers of random screws and spacers in the name of cleanliness.  LOL.

Decided to let wifey choose the next build for me from the following:

-TD2
-TD4
-TC01
-SCX10iii
-Super Champ restoration

She opted for the TC01, so that should be a nice change of pace coming up here soon.  Got a few blue bits for it squirreled away, along with a sensorless HobbyWing motor & ESC.  MAYBE this weekend.....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

For me, nothing RC yet today as I am at the office doing my money making gig.  I hope to practice some drifting tonight and drive my Mini-Z a little bit.  B)

HR wants to do a stay interview with me this week as they fear I might leave the company.  Shall I send them a bill for a couple of RC purchases?  :lol: ^_^

First   World    RC   Problems   😂

• Haha 4

Found a little time for my Mid today. The last portion of the build is going so slow 😅 not that I mind, I'm in no rush, but aesthetics aside the car has been pretty much ready to go for the past three weeks, so I'm really feeling the itch to run it by now.

It's going to have to wait a little longer, as I also want to rebuild the shocks before I power it up, but that elusive green sludge hasn't showed up yet! 

Today I kept working on the driver. Some major cutting had to be done in order for the helmet to clear the canopy, and that in turn required further modification in order to still be able to mount the head. At least now everything fits nicely and it looks not too crammed in there. I had to tap a hole on the side of the helmet so that the mounting screw could clear the belt cover, fortunately there was some inner extra thickness to work with from the mold.

20230131-143900.jpg

20230131-144259.jpg

A lot of extra work to gain a few millimeters, but worth it.

After that, I masked and primed the fella. I did smooth down his nose just a tiny bit 😏

Here's the masked piece, looking a little weird but I decided to do a mix of painting and use the provided stickers too, so will see how it turns out. It's now primed and waiting to dry up.

20230131-163635.jpg

Last but not least, painted the body shell using a half can of PS-1 that I found in my paints box. I've used it to the very last drop, so now I'm crossing my fingers that the coats will ne enough so that I don't have to rush to get another one!

20230131-173223.jpg

I like the clean and simple design of this body a lot. I wish I could have many of these shells for many different colours and liveries 😀

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

... painted the body shell using a half can of PS-1 that I found in my paints box. I've used it to the very last drop, so now I'm crossing my fingers that the coats will ne enough so that I don't have to rush to get another one!

I don't think you are in the UK but if our issue is a worldwide one then you might struggle to find PS-1 at the moment. Hard to find in stock here. 

Anyway - Mid looks cracking. Look forward to seeing the finished article. I am thinking I will go box art with mine too. I do also have a cheap aftermarket runner shell I'll do something different with though. Will you fit an undertray?