Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My first attempt at a 3d print failed on a test fit. 

20230213_233536

However, I already knew I'd flip it 90° if I printed it again so the layers go vertically. Where it broke there is very little surface area layer to layer. Go the other way and that's totally different. It'll also give me the opportunity to print the posts to the right height, no trimming, hopefully nice rounded top, no unnecessary holes. 

Still a bit annoying but hopefully my buddy won't mind doing another cheeky print for me. 

I also finally painted my Lancia body shell plastic parts. Give myself about a six out of Zen. It's OK, but I might sand the mirrors smooth and give them a light spray instead. It's under a decal so the colour doesn't matter but it needs to be smooth. 

20230213_223646

Otherwise all that remains is the decals on these parts, I think. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Can you tell where I'm heading with it from just the wheels?

PXL_20230213_232425439.MP.jpg

I've got an incling! 

Did you have to shorten the wheelbase? 

4 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

My first attempt at a 3d print failed on a test fit. 

20230213_233536

However, I already knew I'd flip it 90° if I printed it again so the layers go vertically. Where it broke there is very little surface area layer to layer. Go the other way and that's totally different. It'll also give me the opportunity to print the posts to the right height, no trimming, hopefully nice rounded top, no unnecessary holes. 

Still a bit annoying but hopefully my buddy won't mind doing another cheeky print for me.  

Sorry to hear but glad you tried printing.  It can also get addictive modeling the part 😅

6 minutes ago, Frankster said:

Sorry to hear but glad you tried printing.  It can also get addictive modeling the part 😅

I can imagine! 

But at this time of night I'm not going anywhere near Fusion360! 

On hols a few days now so likely to get a quiet evening somewhere nice with a beer, so should find time to improve it. 

Something else I might try is integrating the horizontal brace. Hmmmmm

18 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Been a while since I did anything, so this was a really cathartic experience this evening. "Just" a humble TT02, started at 9pm and got this far by 11pm, including building the CVAs. Not bad. Can you tell where I'm heading with it from just the wheels?

PXL_20230213_232425439.MP.jpg

Fush wheels. Deep dish rear wheels.  TT102D chassis. Rear flipped arms.  Stiffer spring.  

Porsche 911 drift?

Got the wheels for the A110 done.   Many thanks to several of you on here on your taping suggestions as well as your decanting thread steps for airbrushing with rattle can paint.  

a110 r2.jpg

a110 r1.jpg

• Like 9

What did I do today?

I learned a lesson! So I diff putty locked the front and rear diffs on my GF chassis Landcruiser. What I learned was it makes it drive really strange! So like typical wheelie fashion it bounces along at speed. But then one wheel will get traction and the whole truck will do pirouettes on one tire. It’s much more susceptible to flipping and spinning out with locked diffs. 
I thought swapping the wheels/tires out to wider chrome Willy rims with Lunchie tires would solve it. Nope. It is a tiny bit more stable. But it’s still strange to drive….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

What did I do today?

I learned a lesson! So I diff putty locked the front and rear diffs on my GF chassis Landcruiser. What I learned was it makes it drive really strange! So like typical wheelie fashion it bounces along at speed. But then one wheel will get traction and the whole truck will do pirouettes on one tire. It’s much more susceptible to flipping and spinning out with locked diffs. 
I thought swapping the wheels/tires out to wider chrome Willy rims with Lunchie tires would solve it. Nope. It is a tiny bit more stable. But it’s still strange to drive….

I tried locking the rear diff on the GF01 Dump Truck and had the exact same experience (I did it only because during lockdown I broke one of the diff gears and the only way I could run it was to lock it). After the first few cartwheels I put it back on the shelf until the correct part arrived... 6 months later.

Yesterday I ordered a new Traxxas TRX4M Bronco... eBay plus had 15% off a brand new truck, I couldn't resist!!

• Like 2

Not today, but on Sunday I rebuilt the BZ-motor, so it is now ready to move into the XV-01 again when spring comes and it dries up. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Aerobert said:

I would keep the white wheels on the Toyota. 

I would do that too, and the yellow ones for the Landy, looks great IMO

Masked the Ford GT this evening. If I’m home in daylight tomorrow it will get the orange coat down. Fingers crossed it holds.

Thanks to everybody for all the help earlier in the thread.

029ED5CA-DA89-4DC5-A9F8-A7E8A91550E0.jpeg

• Like 6

That looks like a nightmare masking job, not going to lie!

Are you heating the room it's being sprayed in? Aerosols work better when there's decent ambient air temperature. You can expell too much of the propellant gas in the cold and the paint won't go as far as a result. Worse still, paint can 'spit' out of the nozzle! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Are you heating the room it's being sprayed in? Aerosols work better when there's decent ambient air temperature. You can expell too much of the propellant gas in the cold and the paint won't go as far as a result. Worse still, paint can 'spit' out of the nozzle! 

That happened to me several times… 

7 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Yeah. I wish I’d gone box art sometimes.

It’ll be painted outside. Sadly there’s no room anywhere inside to paint. It should be around 13 degrees, dry and still tomorrow afternoon and I’ll warm the can then hope for the best. 
I’m just too impatient to wait for the spring. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

NBR STI.. pretty bad too.

IMG_2023-2-14-175911.jpg.03523c7b5daf4983e599617301900f2d.jpg

IMG_2023-1-13-213555.jpg.c235c1ddd0dbacc56d73b0da9f10ae26.jpg

IMG_2023-1-13-212752.thumb.jpg.90451e799fb53788e90853ec09ecde73.jpg

• Like 4

To prepare for the arrival of the TRX4M, I disassembled an 1/14 'Dickies' VW Kombi which was looking in a very sad state. The surfboards have previously been donated to my Kumamon DT02 beach buggy, but this time I pulled the interior apart and chucked the rest. My biggest issue with the TRX4M's appearance is the clear windows, combined with no interior, and the fact you can see the coloured plastic on the inside... it ruins any chance of it looking 'scale.' Although many people on the internets have spent hundreds of dollars upgrading the performance of these things, no-one seems to have put any effort into the interior.

So my plan is to use the seats and dash (inc. steering wheel), an articulated Brisbane Bears AFL player figurine (I have no idea where that came from, I'm a Carlton man), and mount it using some mesh, the same way Matteo's RC videos have shown. Before I do that I'll mask the windows and spray the interior black so it should all come out nicely. I hope! I need to find 3mm white LEDs for the headlights, or order an eBay light kit - I'm not paying drug money for the genuine light kit! 

Also, number plates. Small detail, but makes a difference.

Shame the car's not due until next week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Still scratching my other vintage itch

mmmm.. are you on Retrobike?

Tough isn't it.. I've got that "problem" too, but having built up two Kona's I think I'll take a break from it and focus on RC.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:07 PM, Ferruz said:

Finished the sidewall lettering on my Mid tires this morning. New kicks ready to go!

At the risk of sounding like a reddit autodetailing post.. what products do you use to get such a nice rich colour?

18 minutes ago, clobbo said:

mmmm.. are you on Retrobike?

Tough isn't it.. I've got that "problem" too, but having built up two Kona's I think I'll take a break from it and focus on RC.

Yes, and yes.  You and I seem to bounce back and forth between the two hobbies/forums, yeah.  

Started the morning dusting Willy's display velvet rope and the base..  not very exciting, but needed,  I also put some poster tape under the stanchions to make them stay in place..

IMG_2022-8-20-173032.jpg.f1e42ac215ee4e105f1d684374ec3105.jpg

Btw, my migration (expansion) to the adjacent room (older kid's room) slowly started.. moved 3 cars out of the pretend RC shop.   Will start getting displays in 2 months time.. I should post up an eviction notice on the door to my older kid's room as a joke to get back at him for making fun of my RC space when I was "evicted" out of the finished basement by mom  to my current small room.. according to him 'pretend RC shop could not make rent due to financial situation and was evicted... and next step is going out of business liquidation sale!' as he put it.  :lol: joker teens, man..

• Like 2
  • Haha 3