Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So my TRX4M arrived last week, so on Thursday I built the interior (no 3D printing here, I'm not that advanced, I just used a dremel and a hot glue gun!!) I was inspired by the way Matteo's RC videos does his interior, so have been planning this one out for a while.

Firstly, here's a photo of someone else's car to show the problem - the clearly visible interior with wires and body coloured paint looks way too cheap:

2f5c9da0-7cfc-4d5d-abe8-9b9d84ac4529.jpg.5fdf9721b0043238ea0c6ab85263bcb4.jpg

So, first the dashboard went in - dremelled out to fit around the internal cage, and the steering wheel removed (it was originally upright, this was from a Kombi) and re-attached in a more realistic position. I then had to dremel out a 'tunnel' for the brushed motor (small car, small tolerances):

517788446_WhatsAppImage2023-02-23at10_36.05AM(1).thumb.jpeg.91d4f18c19454c61d08b64fe60a59b1c.jpeg

Next up - driver and seats:

1599377034_WhatsAppImage2023-02-23at10_36_05AM.thumb.jpeg.c8805d3d792ec5a25b7d005eb5ad9ff4.jpeg

Finally, all bundled in with LED lighting channeled around it. Oh, and he actually holds the wheel, too (a small detail, but one I was very happy about):

1480561525_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_32_48PM.thumb.jpeg.1c6eb6cc38d79557e7300296a11a4bbf.jpeg

So this is what it looks like:

609840410_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_18PM.thumb.jpeg.41160739756a4761901976a4f31ea0dd.jpeg

422961063_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_45_16PM.thumb.jpeg.35aa372291f1feb9f5abd3c18270e642.jpeg

• Like 5

And, this thing looks fantastic on the rocks, but it's not perfect. My Kyosho 4Runner would outperform it, but it has a lot of hop-ups. It desperately needs the crawler gearing, which is sold out worldwide and not due to re-stock for another month, and some weight down low (I've already ordered some cheap eBay wheels and brass, so will see if that makes a difference).

2129140715_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_21PM.thumb.jpeg.d6401191f709904a3bcef6494c00aa77.jpeg

190642315_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_22PM.thumb.jpeg.8cd5b8a7c624045b8212fd76d4f73555.jpeg

1306061575_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_19PM.thumb.jpeg.d97085585ebc02b2c701cbd3f1b909ec.jpeg

1008368184_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_15PM.thumb.jpeg.958d0c4cf92027fa6e0e10bf4d8de8f6.jpeg

674210877_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_13PM.thumb.jpeg.0b506dc6b513e147b4d07d04ed4f81db.jpeg

1314830793_WhatsAppImage2023-03-01at2_31_03PM.thumb.jpeg.62e21206d85ad8f0b310a1e6f66dad33.jpeg

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Looks great! What cars do you plan on ordering…?Haha

Nope.....   

Told myself these are the last two.....yes siree....the absolute last two cars I'll ever need.  

Wait....???   Who's that at the door...???

Postman.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

So my TRX4M arrived last week, so on Thursday I built the interior (no 3D priing here, I'm not that advanced, I just used a dremel and a hot glue gun!!) I was  by the way Matteo's RC videos does his interior, so have been planning this one out for a while.

Firstly, here's a photo of someone else's car to show the problem - the clearly visible interior w

2f5c9da0-7cfc-4d5d-abe8-9b9d84ac4529.jpg.5fdf9721b0043238ea0c6ab85263bcb4.jpg

So, first the dashboard went in - dremelled out to fit around the internal cage, and the steering wheel removed (it was originally upright, this was from a Kombi) and re-attached in a more realistic position. I then had to dremel out a 'tunnel' for the brushed motor (small car, small tolerances):

517788446_WhatsAppImage2023-02-23at10_36.05AM(1).thumb.jpeg.91d4f18c19454c61d08b64fe60a59b1c.jpeg

Next up - driver and seats:

1599377034_WhatsAppImage2023-02-23at10_36_05AM.thumb.jpeg.c8805d3d792ec5a25b7d005eb5ad9ff4.jpeg

Finally, all bundled in with LED lighting channeled around it. Oh, and he actually holds the wheel, too (a small detail, but one I was very happy about): om

So this is what it looks like

Nice interior. My TRX4M Defender will recieve an interior too. Also based on Mateo's ideas 

• Thanks 1

Did a few more decals and painted the grill of my TT02 Lancia Delta Rally build. Also cut and fitted the Kamtec dust cover. Almost finished, but not quite yet!

This was my first kit.

I've built and finished 2 other kits whilst this one lingers on!

I made a new project thread on Monday night in "The Builds" section but it still hasn't been approved. Is that normal? I can't remember since the last time I started a new topic in there was long ago. I can see the topic, but it's still red "pending approval"

Perhaps the content was too boring for the moderators :lol:

10 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Nope.....   

Told myself these are the last two.....yes siree....the absolute last two cars I'll ever need.  

Wait....???   Who's that at the door...???

You were very accurate and kept your own promise.  It was the last 2 cars you bought.. ..  until you bought another one.  ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I made a new project thread on Monday night in "The Builds" section but it still hasn't been approved. Is that normal? I can't remember since the last time I started a new topic in there was long ago. I can see the topic, but it's still red "pending approval"

Perhaps the content was too boring for the moderators :lol:

It’s a bit hit or miss time wise. Sometimes it’s an hour or so and sometimes days. Suppose it depends on which if any mods are on line?!!

Took my DT-03 Neo Fighter out at lunchtime for a quick test after switching the rear stabiliser bar from soft (red) to hard (blue) and to give it a first run at 8.4 volts using a hump pack NiMH.  It runs a Carson Dragster ESC and a Sport Tuned motor with a 17T pinion.

It handled great and was pretty quick - I'd say that was a result  ;)

• Like 2

Finally I dont have to shuffle around parts bin to see what pinion gears i have..

3EAD96D3-BD5F-4E4F-8A79-1231401B3CAD.jpeg

• Like 9

Who makes that? I have a bunch of pinions just rattling around. I've seen some really expensive 'pinion holders' but none with a lid like that.

• Like 1

Today I received a Stadium Blitzer!

This was built back in the mid-90s by a coworker. He said he drove it a handful of times and his bulldog chased it and he got a huge kick out of that, then it went in a closet where he stumbled across it a couple months ago and was going to throw it out. Haha.

Besides the body, it's in great shape! Still has the mechanical speed controller, which is always cool. And a dust cover for the MSC! I've never seen the dust cover before..

Already got a repop body and decals on the way!

r7roZBe.jpg
AqoFcgy.jpg
wqbembd.jpg

• Like 8

Installed today on my FF03 a new pinion. Getting somewhere with the speed runs.

FlfpQxI.jpg

The day before, I managed to install Windows 7 in an old laptop, to flash the Speed Passion Reventon R to a Crawler firmware.

p9hsM67.jpg

URZCDvk.jpg

The Reventon R came used with a 6.5 Speed Passion motor flashed with the Drift firmware.

For me on my sanwa it did not work, I haven't got time to test it yet with the crawler software, but something tells me I will have no luck.

The motor might be damaged? The ESC does definitely shows signs of life.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Finally I dont have to shuffle around parts bin to see what pinion gears i have..

3EAD96D3-BD5F-4E4F-8A79-1231401B3CAD.jpeg

Nice.  I keep forgetting to make this out of styrene!  I shall soon.  B)

For me yesterday, changed oil on my 1:1 WRX STI and took her out for her first short drive of the season.  I also went out on a short e-bike ride as well in the afternoon.  As for RC action, got another CF upper deck for the Ultima.  I foresee myself building another one down the road so grabbed it while still available.  I am looking for a NIB regular Optima, but apparently everyone is out of stock again.. perhaps a winter project.  

IMG_2023-3-2-072959.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

For me yesterday, changed oil on my 1:1 WRX STI and took her out for her first short drive of the season.  I also went out on a short e-bike ride as well in the afternoon.  As for RC action, got another CF upper deck for the Ultima.  I foresee myself building another one down the road so grabbed it while still available.  I am looking for a NIB regular Optima, but apparently everyone is out of stock again.. perhaps a winter project.  

IMG_2023-3-2-072959.jpg

You forgot the decals on your 1:1 Subie 

• Haha 2

Today I put my XV-01 back into its everyday clothes and shoes and got it dirty. 

20230302_080139

It is a marvellous thing. Not too fast but definitely not slow. Loads of sideways but great control. Just enough ground clearance for a little dirt while remaining good on tarmac. Goldilocks car. 

Then later I put a pack through my bonkers fast 5.5T TT-02SR. Dry tarmac, quite drifty. Still glitchy controls at distance and if you crash this thing (or just hit a stray stone) at anywhere near full gas it cartwheels a long way, really makes me wince. Luckily only a couple of those (and once a full somersault and it landed on its wheels and just carried on) and my now taped body is OK. But then this happened to a tyre:

20230302_165013

I think maybe a bit too drifty! Super cheap tyres but they've only had a couple of packs through them. I perhaps need something tougher. Annoyingly I had just resorted to superglue as well, since this car is too much for shoe goo. So I have replaced just this one, for now. 

Edit: had a pack to run down and the new charger I have here takes forever on discharge (not entirely convinced it's working right), so I had another go with the mismatched back tyres TT-02SR. Mostly tarmac power slides. Perhaps a bad idea not to fit a pair - the old one went bald. Must be spinning a bit on the quite loose rear diff with a mismatch in grip. So now we've got a (near enough) pair on. But, they're soft flexy things these cheap TC tyres. They're not going to last. I need to find a suitably harder wearing tyre and buy a job lot, plus a job lot of wheels which are luckily very cheap at PJ. It's a lot of fun to drive on dry tarmac though, if a little risky. 

• Like 3

For me, I realized I forgot to draw the parting line around the gas filler lid so worked on it tonight.

It was someowhat difficult to do as the line recess was shallow and the Sharpie would not follow the line very well.  :wacko:

Turned out okay though as I am a seasoned hope. :ph34r:

IMG_2023-3-2-185746.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Today I put my XV-01 back into its everyday clothes and shoes and got it dirty. 

20230302_080139

It is a marvellous thing. Not too fast but definitely not slow. Loads of sideways but great control. Just enough ground clearance for a little dirt while remaining good on tarmac. Goldilocks car. 

Then later I put a pack through my bonkers fast 5.5T TT-02SR. Dry tarmac, quite drifty. Still glitchy controls at distance and if you crash this thing (or just hit a stray stone) at anywhere near full gas it cartwheels a long way, really makes me wince. Luckily only a couple of those (and once a full somersault and it landed on its wheels and just carried on) and my now taped body is OK. But then this happened to a tyre:

20230302_165013

I think maybe a bit too drifty! Super cheap tyres but they've only had a couple of packs through them. I perhaps need something tougher. Annoyingly I had just resorted to superglue as well, since this car is too much for shoe goo. So I have replaced just this one, for now. 

Edit: had a pack to run down and the new charger I have here takes forever on discharge (not entirely convinced it's working right), so I had another go with the mismatched back tyres TT-02SR. Mostly tarmac power slides. Perhaps a bad idea not to fit a pair - the old one went bald. Must be spinning a bit on the quite loose rear diff with a mismatch in grip. So now we've got a (near enough) pair on. But, they're soft flexy things these cheap TC tyres. They're not going to last. I need to find a suitably harder wearing tyre and buy a job lot, plus a job lot of wheels which are luckily very cheap at PJ. It's a lot of fun to drive on dry tarmac though, if a little risky. 

That SR seems fast 😃 For tires I would try the belted ones, probably Type B? PJ were 'no stock' when I checked last week. They seem to get things back in stock very quickly though.

13 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I really like it. The pins holding the pinions are smart. @Willy iine I keep forgetting to make this out of birch plywood ;)

Now let's wait until someone says: "I am going to 3D print one"...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

I really like it. The pins holding the pinions are smart. @Willy iine I keep forgetting to make this out of birch plywood ;)

Now let's wait until someone says: "I am going to 3D print one"...

I think our era long passed.  :lol:

• Haha 3

Had one of those rare bad days in the hobby today. Didn’t notice I had plugged the bullet connectors backwards on the battery. When I plugged the XT90 connectors together the esc started smoking and de-soldered both battery wires from the esc and the esc side of the XT90. Tried to resolder everything but no dice. No throttle and the esc was heating up. R.I.P. Hobbywing Xerun 120a V3 :(

• Sad 2

Put the GoolRC brushless motor and ESC that I had lying around into my type S and put in a new RX also as the old didn't appear want to work. Got is all working and was about to take it onto the drive for a test run when the RHS rear dog bone just dropped out (seems to be a theme today on the board). 

Didn't have time to sort it out as I had to do some work and will need to be done another day.

As mentioned on the relevant thread, I also measured my driveway and it looks just about big enough to do the layout for the postal racing so think I will give it a go at some point.

• Like 1