Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, YoShImUrA53 said:

I believe I saw a GR3E receiver, which is used on a low-end Fly Sky either GT2B or GT3B/C. I would ditch that controller for anything performing (like a crawler), and get a decent radio. They make such a huge difference to the experience with a decent response. Best advice I was ever given.

If it helps, I got a Futapa TP4M, but even a Fly Sky GT5 will feel like an upgrade in response and precision.

It does indeed have a GR3E receiver, which I'm using with an Absima CR3P transmitter. So it is bottom end in this regard and I am interested that you notice such a difference in better radio gear. 

However I will try to eliminate cheaper solutions first, because a transmitter upgrade is expensive and brings the disadvantage that no longer would all my models be cross-compatible. I am just a basher so am a little skeptical I'm sensitive enough to value the upgrade enough to justify it. But then, if an upgrade is necessary, then I'd better do it now than invest further in the same tech. Hmmmm... 

Gluing tires...

0qsgCTh.jpg

Oh man... how much I hate gluing tires... probably the worst part about RC cars...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

It does indeed have a GR3E receiver, which I'm using with an Absima CR3P transmitter. So it is bottom end in this regard and I am interested that you notice such a difference in better radio gear. 

However I will try to eliminate cheaper solutions first, because a transmitter upgrade is expensive and brings the disadvantage that no longer would all my models be cross-compatible. I am just a basher so am a little skeptical I'm sensitive enough to value the upgrade enough to justify it. But then, if an upgrade is necessary, then I'd better do it now than invest further in the same tech. Hmmmm... 

Worst bit is that even if you tested a different Tx/Rx from a buddy, you probably won't notice as you're used to the slow reaction... but spend a whole day with a good radio, and the next day jump into your current... then you'll be amazed at how different you drive with a good radio vs a cheapo.

I have the GT3c and have gotten so disgusted by its reaction time and overall feel, that I purchased a GT5 just to use it on my crawlers and less high-end bashers/racers. 

It really is a world of a difference on how you enjoy driving, once you learn how to appreciate it. "I was blind, and now I can see" kinda deal.

Well since Amain canceled my backorder order of the trf211xm I wend out and spent my money on a tlr 22 5.0 roller and a team associated rc10b6.4 and actually had money left over compared to that kit. I painted the losi with Tamiya ps-3 paint and it looks GOOD

I would post pictures but I'm out of space on this site.

Funny thing is that as soon as Amain canceled my order the trf211xm disappeared from Tamiya USA however what is interesting is that the TRF201 kit that was listed on sale for ages had its sale price of 175.00 removed and updated with the price of 585.00....They did not delete it....They updated it.  very interesting.

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Gluing tires...

0qsgCTh.jpg

Oh man... how much I hate gluing tires... probably the worst part about RC cars...

I use standard thin CA and capillary action..goes quite smoothly... with touch of hope. :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I use standard thin CA and capillary action..goes quite smoothly... with touch of hope. :ph34r:

What I lack in hope I make for in an uncanny ability to mess up the process and glue myself to things.  :lol:

I goofed up and used medium CA...making quite the mess... but luckily just on the backside of my Tamiya wheels/tires.  I then switched to thin for the showside of the Tamiya stuff, and for the backside of the giant MCD wheels (frontside will get done on those this weekend)...

sDW6k8a.jpg

• Like 3

While I'm waiting for TBG to get their shipment of poly and start taking orders again, I decided to play around with this surface TX I found advertised on RCGroups.

G5mS20o.jpg
Wbsoc6R.jpg

I generally drive with one hand anyway and this is very comfortable in both my left and right hand. I haven't driven with it yet, but ergonomically it seems pretty nice. And it has tons of mixing options.

For $30 it seems pretty nice! I may give it to my nephew when I give him his Grasshopper 2 kit for his birthday. He'll get a kick out of it.

I also added another piece to my "Discontinued balsa EFlite ARFs" collection. 

zV7q3tU.jpg

Good times all around.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, magnumb said:

Today i realized i have more money in RC than any of my other hobbies!! Yikes!!

As long as your other hobbies don't include vintage exotic European sports cars or full-scale general aviation it can't be too bad! Haha.

• Haha 5

I installed the Yokomo DMS Servo i got today, it's a 6k metal gear servo with a direct mount to chassis.

I love it!

^_^

t9NUK9i.jpg

0djDIcu.jpg

uhHiorE.jpg

I bought this car used but in great condition, I looked up what this all was worth new, and got little to say surprised.

GBP 554,00 for a chassis kit and servo? no body motor esc etc... I wasn't really aware of this :D

XqZpkxe.png7LvPqKV.png

• Like 6

Today I swapped out the two wire shelves with a commercial grade single unit..main goals were  I wanted to place some of my NIB kits without worrying about the shelf tipping over (18" depth this time vs 15" and 120lbs+  in weight so it is solid) and with the added depth I can turn the cars more towards the front giving more space for additional cars.   I also dedicated a wall for Kyosho cars.. once I expand the pretend RC shop in a few months, I will move all Mini-Z's to the other room on floating shelves allowing more room for additional buggies.  

IMG_2023-3-10-190543.jpg.ab97da0d9521f6122e5c8a8ec3a1f2d2.jpg

IMG_2023-3-10-191355.jpg.bd9e4e1dffe4bb84f6ec721f583c8ecb.jpg

IMG_2023-3-10-191411.jpg.c49f1215ef7c57a0a2242e7a40f7809b.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, magnumb said:

Pssst.....   Never do the math....never.....   ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am quite shocked… I have been using cheapo reamer to drill body post hole, but it just doesnt work well. Few weeks ago, I ended up getting tamiya’s reamer from lovely PJ. It is on pricey side, but totally worth the money. I spent 2min to make 4 body post holes with clean finish. Gotta love tamiya tools. (I just threw out the crappy one)

E8E284D4-605D-411E-86A0-50FFE09BA2A9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Today I swapped out the two wire shelves with a commercial grade single unit..main goals were  I wanted to place some of my NIB kits without worrying about the shelf tipping over (18" depth this time vs 15" and 120lbs+  in weight so it is solid) and with the added depth I can turn the cars more towards the front giving more space for additional cars.   I also dedicated a wall for Kyosho cars.. once I expand the pretend RC shop in a few months, I will move all Mini-Z's to the other room on floating shelves allowing more room for additional buggies.  

That's a great-looking room. I need more shelf space. 

• Thanks 1

Was about to put the FAV away and realised the front Wild One damper was really not doing much damping.

How does this even happen?! Luckily no parts lost (apart from the jettisoned oil).

Something to address later

Screenshot_20230311-124251.thumb.png.a2bd3d3045e303c277acc1651b31dee7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Finally started a TB03 bitsa build. Had so many spares from my TB03R that it seems a waste to have them hanging around. Will probably end up costing me more than I will get for it, but I like using up spare parts. 

20230311_142725.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wun1jee said:

That's a great-looking room. I need more shelf space. 

Thanks, still a bit folksy looking, I know.   I can make it 10 better if I have my contractor do custom built-in wall shelves with illumination and glass decks into the drywalls, but my wife mentioned it will lose the home/hobby vibe and look more like a money throwing rich folk show room at some mansion or inside a huge yacht.  So keeping it real, this will have to do for now as I am mostly poor compared to those folks.  :lol:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I am quite shocked… I have been using cheapo reamer to drill body post hole, but it just doesnt work well. Few weeks ago, I ended up getting tamiya’s reamer from lovely PJ. It is on pricey side, but totally worth the money. I spent 2min to make 4 body post holes with clean finish. Gotta love tamiya tools. (I just threw out the crappy one)

E8E284D4-605D-411E-86A0-50FFE09BA2A9.jpeg

The cheaper reamers I found are wound the wrong (?) way.. meaning I have to turn the reamer counter clockwise.  Then it cut pretty well.

I have this awesome reamer my wife picked up for me in Akihabara over 2 decades ago which has a threaded tip.  Basically it drills into the plastic then at a certain point cuts with the blade.. so it is very easy to aim.  Unfortunately I broke the tip by about 0.5mm so not as accurate as it once was.  I've been looking for the same one for years to no avail..  

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, magnumb said:

Nice.  Very interested in seeing your setup!  I have a 1:1 car hobby so luckily that is still keeping my RC hobby under the radar.  Not that my wife cares either way.  Early on in our marriage we decided we will not talk negative things about how we spend our disposable cash.  Just keep it within budget, if not, earn more money allowing more freedom.  

She has a nice manga library with a nice home theater system.   While some husbands might think it's a huge waste of money, I encouraged it and even helped her build the semi-custom walls of bookcases.  B)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks, still a bit folksy looking, I know.   I can make it 10 better if I have my contractor do custom built-in wall shelves with illumination and glass decks into the drywalls, but my wife mentioned it will lose the home/hobby vibe and look more like a money throwing rich folk show room at some mansion or inside a huge yacht.  So keeping it real, this will have to do for now as I am mostly poor compared to those folks.  :lol:

I always like to mention to my RC friends how folks on  TamiyaClub have rooms full of cars. This is what I meant... :D

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

What I lack in hope I make for in an uncanny ability to mess up the process and glue myself to things.  :lol:

I goofed up and used medium CA...making quite the mess... but luckily just on the backside of my Tamiya wheels/tires.  I then switched to thin for the showside of the Tamiya stuff, and for the backside of the giant MCD wheels (frontside will get done on those this weekend)...

sDW6k8a.jpg

Have you tried rubber bands to hold the tires in place? I like to use them, not sure if it makes really a difference

71SHYc2yoML._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

18 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Just found a stack of leman motors next to mini-zs!

• Like 1

For me, worked on cleaning up my Kyosho driver suits as I did not like the glossy finish.

Before and after shots..

Javelin..

IMG_2023-3-11-180809.jpg.07735624d6d7bf856dca25606767b2a6.jpg

IMG_2023-3-11-180837.jpg.ab13106a7037d051f5327642a5a3d699.jpg

TurboScorpion #1

IMG_2023-3-11-180724.jpg.a38f03e9211da1ae647b1d4a093a296b.jpg

IMG_2023-3-11-180748.jpg.3ce030096db047d8f8c23bbbb4bc2b8a.jpg

Bonus picture of my Javelin.. :lol:

IMG_2023-3-11-181300.jpg.7247bc4d7e5dadcc96dd9c037fbf05cb.jpg

• Like 5

The last decals/details on the Mid are proving to be quite time consuming, but I finally like where this is going.

A funny thing happened: it took me two days to decide the placement of an important extra decal (or call it sticker, doesn't matter to me🤣). Once I finally made up my mind, I had the great idea of lifting up the car and then I lost it. I was in my livingroom, so I searched and searched. Nothing. Started twitching. Nothing. Went to bed. Woke up/work/life/ back home and still searched. Nothing. My wife joined the search and nothing. I declared I was going to officially give up the search... and still it didn't come out. Eventually, I found it right in my shirt pocket🙄. Duh, one could say, but I'd looked in that pocket two times already before a third search yielded the culprit. Argh! Now it's finally on.

In other news, the Manta Ray spent a lot of airborne time this afternoon.

20230311-185235.jpg

20230311-185150.jpg

Screenshot-20230311-184255-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20230311-184659-Video-Player.

• Like 7