Badboy

So, What Have You Done Today?

Does the club need more member blogs...  

361 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Finished this mock TA02T, old school electrics basher for some vintage fun over the summer. 

20230319_162031.jpg

I really like those… and hoping to build one based on regular ta-02. I am wondering if there are special parts for ta-02t other than body + wheels and tires…

actually found a thread about it 

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

Ran two 3300 packs and...

Rollovered few times ( one really hard). Crashed two or three times. At the end I found that rear wheel nut was loose. It was not good day.

Few days ago I replaced plastic front shock tower with carbon. I am almost 100% sure that plastic would not survive today. 

At home I did quite good clean up. Looks good again. At least one positive thing.

If you're up for it, I would practice driving without the body going slower speeds but controlled.  Try to drive an entire pack without hitting anything.  It took me a good year or so with hours of driving every weekend at the track to get to a level I could call I was actually controlling the car at the high speeds my mod touring cars were running.  Then people start to realize why we use high speed servos like the 1252MG.. it's for the very small instantaneous inputs on the steering to continuously correct its path when needed.  

I hardly crash these days especially since I do not drive with anyone who usually crashes into me, and drive much slower speeds away from my driving limits.  This is why all my cars are driven even though they sit on the shelf often.

• Like 2

I try but with so many loose rocks, it is mostly not posiible to avoid crashes. Car just jumps and roll.

I decided that I will go to different area and focus on learning. It is too hard for me now to control car, look for hidden obstacles etc.

I will try also different settings for Exponential. I feel that I cannot control throttle enough. It is like slow, slow, little faster... bum! Sliding around!

@Kpowell911 That's kind words but if I can do it you definitely can. A good light and some magnifying specs help a great deal! 

My first cockpit was a disaster as I had used a generic spray paint which looked great until I flexed it and it all flaked off. 😅 I tried again with TS paint and it turned out alot better.

All you need is the right materials, some patience and some learned techniques. 

These cockpits do take a long time but they're worth it.👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Very nearly finished this.

52766189847_31b8a05cf3_k.jpg

That is very nice looking one… i would purchase in a heart beat haha

2 hours ago, skom25 said:

I try but with so many loose rocks, it is mostly not posiible to avoid crashes. Car just jumps and roll.

I decided that I will go to different area and focus on learning. It is too hard for me now to control car, look for hidden obstacles etc.

I will try also different settings for Exponential. I feel that I cannot control throttle enough. It is like slow, slow, little faster... bum! Sliding around!

The latter production years TBLE02S do not have good modulation... if you're using brushed motor, I highly recommend you swap to HobbyWing 1060.  They are inexpensive and have excellent modulation.  1060 + expo = very good throttle control.   B)

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 5:07 PM, Nick-W said:

That looks sweet. I’m still putting mine off… 

Build it so we can race them!   LOL!

So, having sold the UL19 and the spare Jimny - where have those funds gone?

First up, my beautiful little Micro Magic yacht - I'm particularly happy with this, because I got it from a member of the local boat club, who bought it from the former head of the club (a man that hates me, because I run speed boats). This is a boat that has every carbon f iber upgrade, 3 sets of custom made competition sails and has won state comps, and I bought it for $100 (plus a receiver) because it fits in my boot! 

PXL_20230318_221919743_MP.thumb.jpg.c87a7557e95953e606b0ccd231bffcf2.jpg

Next up, my TRX4M Bronco - you've seen the interior, now look at the stickiest of sticky licenced Mickey Thompson tires on some eBay wheels. I just need some brass hubs (on order) and the lower gear set (on backorder) and this thing is fantastic.

20230322184054_IMG_1250.thumb.JPG.4ea0fc871f503c7118a2826f597265e2.JPG

20230322184329_IMG_1253.thumb.JPG.e7a0648259cc4fba78659065ce75b66d.JPG

Finally, my Kyosho Jimny 4x4 - this car now has hop-ups worth more than the original purchase price, and other than the underwhelming stock servo I am now much happier with its performance. It won't out-perform either the Bronco or my Kyosho 4Runner, but it's no longer infuriating to use due to a lack of performance.

20230323180046_IMG_1304.JPG

20230323175129_IMG_1291.JPG

Collage_2023-03-24_10_22_34.jpg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

The latter production years TBLE02S do not have good modulation... if you're using brushed motor, I highly recommend you swap to HobbyWing 1060.  They are inexpensive and have excellent modulation.  1060 + expo = very good throttle control.   B)

Thanks!

I will consider it for future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Collage_2023-03-24_10_22_34.jpg

That first image above looks so realistic, had to do a double-take. How comes the wheels changed between shots? My Local hobby shop has these in stock but I just can't justify the price!

Getting ESC ready for Lipo for my new Subaru kit. On Livingroom Table during workhours again, must get this all gone before wife enters in about 1 hour or **** hits the fan again. So if you do not see me again on this forum after this post you know whyspacer.png

• Haha 8

For me, continuing on with the Optima build (in between heated meetings  :blink:)..

B)

IMG_2023-3-24-120315.jpg.6e48b37c22be5e0842e3737269ca0bdf.jpg

• Like 3

Bittersweet feeling as I've completed this. I'm always glad to have finished something but sad that it's done.🤷

52769348223_b97a7a021d_k.jpg

52769348283_89ad0f036a_k.jpg

52768320692_5dee28c78f_k.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

That first image above looks so realistic, had to do a double-take. How comes the wheels changed between shots? My Local hobby shop has these in stock but I just can't justify the price!

So between the first and second image there was a substantial amount of hop-ups added. Kyosho body lift (4mm), 4 new wheels and tires (designed for the 4Runner, slightly taller), and a heap of aluminium and brass down low to keep the CoG as low as possible.

@Yoshimitsu the notes for the co-driver... just WOW. I love that detail!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Bittersweet feeling as I've completed this. I'm always glad to have finished something but sad that it's done.🤷

That's absolutely stunning and the detail is incredible - I just don't have the artistic skills to achieve anything like that!

Awesome work B)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

How the.....? 

But also, I love how you've angled co-driver's head. The whole body language thing between that and the arms is somehow much more life-like. 

I've got one of these to do. Now I'm dreading it even more. 

• Like 1

For me, finished the Optima.  Please check out the gallery only thread or my profile page about me..B)

It's running the prototype alloy wheels Kogawa-san gifted me for xmas.. Kyosho never released these wheels to the public.  

More pictures on Instagram #pretendrcshop

Replaced an A-arm on my Tamiya TT-02 Type-S.

This excruciating repair experience is EXACTLY why I love Tamiya- you can’t go about reassembling a car without using your 12 hands to hold everything in place! Thank you, Tamiya engineers, for overengineering the badword out of this thing. :angry:

1553FC0C-EC7F-45F9-BAAA-0848EEE269B2.thumb.jpeg.896b3163d26420a6f3cade0539a1283f.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RC_FunLand said:

Replaced an A-arm on my Tamiya TT-02 Type-S.

This excruciating repair experience is EXACTLY why I love Tamiya- you can’t go about reassembling a car without using your 12 hands to hold everything in place! Thank you, Tamiya engineers, for overengineering the badword out of this thing. :angry:

1553FC0C-EC7F-45F9-BAAA-0848EEE269B2.thumb.jpeg.896b3163d26420a6f3cade0539a1283f.jpeg

Over-engineered or badly-engineered?

• Haha 1

More Jugger work, zooming in on the details.

The rollcage got 2 coats of white primer. This braught up the grain in the wood so that could be sanded down. Also showed some small imperfections so those are filled.
It now recieved a coat of filler-primer so I can sand it nice and smooth.

Repaired a missing mounting point on the back of the grille.

Made LED bulb mounts to mount the lighting in the headlights.

3D printed/sanded/filled and sanded the replacement rear bumper. Needs more work but happy with it so far.

WbasIMr.jpg

• Like 3

Time for a little test. 

Last week, I took a bone stock TL-01, with 27mhz radio, MSC, a Stock Silver Can 540 and a 7.2v NIMH to 13mph. 

Today, we have a TL-01 with:

Bearings

Speed Tuned Gears

2.4ghz Radio

Hobbywing 1060 ESC

Tamiya BZ Superstock 23t Motor

2S 7.4v Lipo

4e78TrN.jpeg

With the exception of the lipo/2.4ghz, this was a sort of achievable set up for 12 year old me in 1999. Im also aware the BZ motor is mainly for buggies, and wasnt out in 1999, but there were plenty of similar options back then. My particular one had a P2K motor, and then a Trinity Speed Gems 12x2, which obviously went wrong. 

The new TL-01 also has other mods, TRF Shocks, Quick Releae battery, Turnbuckles etc but not that will necessarily affect TOP SPEED. Ive also glued Rally Block tyres with inserts. 

We shall see

• Like 5

So, decided to take another 2 RCs out with the TL-01. The Traxxas Rally because I intended going to a car park type area, and the XRT just because Ive only used it twice and the Mrs will soon start asking why I spent £1700 on it……

AYr69Jq.jpeg

AYr69Jq.jpeg

5SyNNrd.jpeg

However, what we really went out for was to test the TL-01. Truth be told it was uncontrollable, and drifty, but even so, I managed 22mph. I reckon theres more in it, potentially enough to double the stock MSC powered TL-01, which is pretty incredible for whats effectively £70ish of parts. I do have an idea of how to get a bit more out of it mind. 

snIwaFx.png

Then I tool the Rally out, seemed rude not to throw on the GPS whilst I had it, so that got a run. 

OBLvVps.jpeg

nvHcjjM.png

Quite happy with that, theres obviously a lot more there but I didnt have much room. I also had a play with the TSM which was very successful. TSM is basically a posh gyro, but it did really help. Im tempted to put the Traxxas TSM Radio in the TL-01 and see if TSM can help me hit 26mph. 

The XRT was the XRT. Out of its comfort zone really on an industrial estate road, but goos fun none the less. 

No breakages so just a bit of clean up and lipo care now

• Like 4